Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOGFANONTHEHILL, Can you please chime in...

Started by menace_hawg3, February 01, 2017, 10:25:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 02, 2017, 02:54:36 pm
As a walk on, my son is a unique case.  He was injured in the fall of 2014 in the 7A State Quarterfinals against Colton Jackson's Conway team.  He was the LT for Fayetteville.  He injured his ankle and was non weight bearing for 3 months.  He lost his smaller school offers due to his injury, but had a Chancellor's Scholarship and was given the chance to walk on at Arkansas. 

So here is the info on size and strength.  His is and was small for an offensive lineman.  After his injury he dropped a ton of weight.  His first measurements at Arkansas were 6"1 1/2" and 254.  That was end of summer 2015.  He is currently 6'3", 277.  His weight, like everyone else's on the team will fluctuate 15-20 lbs between fall camp and the end of the season.  The guys that are listed at 320 at the end of camp, weigh 300 by season's end.  The building mass lifts and diet don't add or maintain weight during the season. 

Gauging strength is had to do with specifics.  They don't do single lift maxes like we used to.  The amount of weight that he can move is drastically changed.  Upper body strength was always an issue in high school.  A max of 300 was a dream for him in high school.  Yesterday he did his sets with 305 on the bar.  They do a lot of dumbbell bench presses as well.  They build core by having to stabilize the dumbbells.  He does those with a 105 in each hand now. 

Legs have made similar strides.  Squats with resistance bands and chains, single leg squats, explosion drills have all changed the shape of his lower body.

They also work on a prowler sled.  They use the lower cross bar on the sled (about 8" off the ground) and get in a push up type position. For the oline, they put 500lbs on it and push it in 10 or 20 yard intervals for 100 yards.  It's impressive to see that much weight being moved by someone almost parallel to the ground.

The agility stuff is basic footwork and quickness drills that haven't changed that much.

The oline also does hand strength drills.  Pinching and holding 45 lb plates with a thumb and your finger tips and holding in one minute increments.  A 6' block that your have to palm for a minute with a 45 hanging below it on a chain.  They also have sand tub.  Water and sand mixture that you knife your hands into, make a fist in the stiff sand and repeat overt and over.  If you haven't ever seen a big person just about drop to their knees from a cramp across their palm, you need a wet sand pit.  It will make you laugh. 

Coach Herbert is huge on core strength.  Lots of work on flexing with resistance and  maintaining proper posture while working muscle groups. 

My son is currently floating between 275-280.  Coach Herbert and Kiero Small say that they will put another 20 lbs on him this off season.  My son says those are realistic expectations.  He will be a redshirt sophomore this fall.  He needs 300 to see the field on the Oline and he is willing to put in the work.  He hopes to see some time this fall on the oline, but will primarily  be a contributor on special teams.  He and Coach B have already had their pre-spring meeting and talked about that being part of the plan for this upcoming year. 

I hope that these newcomers, especially the olineman, are as excited to be here as we are to have them here. It's a big advantage for them to be able to start in the spring.  Ideally, a redshirt year would not only benefit them, but also the program.  Only time will tell.  These Wagner, Clennin, Adcock, and Clary are a great group of incoming olineman to build the future on. 

Lastly, you asked about body changes.  Here is a picture of my son from November of 2014 to the spring of 2016.  This is after one cycle of Herbert's off season program.  The FHS picture was at 250.  The Hog spring ball picture was about 265.  He's 10-15 lbs heavier now with a lower body fat %.  If I get a similar photo this spring, I'll post it.

So upfront I don't know you or your son. But you have shown that picture before. Each time I see it I think the left picture shows a goofy high school kid. A nice kid. Based on the look on his face.

The right picture shows a guy who is confident. Kind of "don't mess with me". Both pics reflect a nice guy, but the right seems to show a highly confident young man.

Sometimes the gains can be mental as well. So it seems from my amateur reading of his expressions. Papa gotta be proud.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hogeration on February 02, 2017, 08:23:23 pm
I respectfully disagree about Segrest.  I'm not saying that he didn't teach any skills.  But the guys in the senior bowls may have been coached up during those practices.  If Segrest was able to teach it all, then he was deficient in his delivery to the guys.  If Smith caused the problem, Segrest should have known his reputation was on the line and gotten his point across to Smith or Beilema.  He has not gotten done.

I respectfully ask "On what inside info are you basing your disagreement?"
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 03, 2017, 07:13:39 am
So upfront I don't know you or your son. But you have shown that picture before. Each time I see it I think the left picture shows a goofy high school kid. A nice kid. Based on the look on his face.

The right picture shows a guy who is confident. Kind of "don't mess with me". Both pics reflect a nice guy, but the right seems to show a highly confident young man.

Sometimes the gains can be mental as well. So it seems from my amateur reading of his expressions. Papa gotta be proud.  ;)
Thanks for the kind word.  We're very proud of Cooper.  We had him for 17 years and now we share him with Coach Bielema and Coach Anderson.  He's got a 3.9 and is in a pre-law history program but has told us he wants to become a coach because he says he's seen how it "change young men's lives".  That is the only endorsement I need to hear about the coaching staff.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogeration on February 02, 2017, 08:23:23 pm
I respectfully disagree about Segrest.  I'm not saying that he didn't teach any skills.  But the guys in the senior bowls may have been coached up during those practices.  If Segrest was able to teach it all, then he was deficient in his delivery to the guys.  If Smith caused the problem, Segrest should have known his reputation was on the line and gotten his point across to Smith or Beilema.  He has not gotten done. 

When the DC tells you that "this" is the philosophy we are going to use for the front 4, that is what you do. You can voice your opinion and make suggestions all you want but if the DC isn't interested in changing, it isn't going to happen. You have a choice, you either execute what he wants the best you possibly can or you choose to resign and leave. Segrest came to Arkansas as a coach known for embracing an attacking style of front four play and he was good at it. He didn't suddenly forget how to teach that style of play.
Go Hogs Go!

azhog10

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 02, 2017, 09:34:16 am

B) D-line being told to contain the middle and not pressure or defend the edge.

I believe what you are saying and always appreciate the insight you bring. BUT ! If this is true, why did CBB do nothing? Why didn't he step in and stop the madness that we were all seeing. If Segrest was just doing what his DC was telling him, then why didn't CBB step in? It wouldn't be the first time CBB has fired a coach that wasn't producing during the season.

Just seems like a bit of a cop out IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 07:46:15 am
When the DC tells you that "this" is the philosophy we are going to use for the front 4, that is what you do. You can voice your opinion and make suggestions all you want but if the DC isn't interested in changing, it isn't going to happen. You have a choice, you either execute what he wants the best you possibly can or you choose to resign and leave. Segrest came to Arkansas as a coach known for embracing an attacking style of front four play and he was good at it. He didn't suddenly forget how to teach that style of play.
Then the HC has problems. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see we needed to change how we handled our DLine. So if RS was the problem maybe CBB needs to wake up during film and do something.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2017, 07:59:54 am
I believe what you are saying and always appreciate the insight you bring. BUT ! If this is true, why did CBB do nothing? Why didn't he step in and stop the madness that we were all seeing. If Segrest was just doing what his DC was telling him, then why didn't CBB step in? It wouldn't be the first time CBB has fired a coach that wasn't producing during the season.

Firing a position coach during the season (Markuson) is a lot different than firing a coordinator during the season.  A total change in philosophy mid season would likely make things worse.  Although I imagine there was discussion.  When you listen to Coach Bielema's comments about "it became apparent we were going to to the 3-4" and a coach leaves because of a "difference in philosophy" you can be sure these conversations didn't happen in just the last few weeks. I feel that Coach knew he was making a change long before the end of the year and he hoped that we could ride out the 2016 season.  You have to remember that just two seasons earlier, the defense was solid and Smith was considered one of the best on the staff.  If Smith or Segrest, or any other staff member was let go in October, there would be an outcry of why didn't he just let them do there job this season and evaluate at the end of the year.  It comes down to this.  Offenses evolved and Arkansas lost Wise, Philon, an Spaight.  When you're a CEO coach, sometimes you have to make these tough calls on when and where to pull the trigger.  Bielema knows his players and apparently felt the end of the year was the right
time to avoid distractions and keep everyone on the same page.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ChitownHawg

Geez. So you propose CBB to throw the defense into chaos during the season? Because what you suggest is what would happen - chaos.

I think the only cop out is you. Just admit it that you don't like CBB and stop copping out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2017, 08:04:25 am
Then the HC has problems. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see we needed to change how we handled our DLine. So if RS was the problem maybe CBB needs to wake up during film and do something.

I don't disagree that Bielema should have intervened at some point to adjust what scheme we were playing with the front 4. Problem is, you change how the front 4 plays then you have to adjust the LB's and if you adjust the LB's then you may have to adjust the Secondary as well. Sounds like a complete and overall change in the middle of the season and while it may seem like a good idea to fans, it may not make sense to a staff. And I am not saying that is how the staff thought about this, but they might have. That may be why Bielema said that there were things that couldn't be done until after the season.

It does seem simple enough to change things up front to more of an attacking style especially since trying to set down in gaps and feed the LB's to limit the run, didn't work. But I try to remember when I come up with criticisms of the staff or some genius idea that I think will work, that I am not in the meeting rooms or on the field in practice in order to be afforded the exact same overview that the coaching staff has when they formulate game plans.

Why an adjustment couldn't be made in the style of play, I don't know. It's frustrating as a fan, I understand.

As for Bielema cutting a coach loose in the middle of a season, he doesn't make a habit of that. To my knowledge that has happened once and it was 1 game into the season at Wisconsin. You have to believe that something bigger was going on inside the O-Line with the Coach and the Players than just a problem with technique or style of play for him to have cut Markuson loose after game 1. I don't know what it was but it had to be a pretty big deal to take that drastic of a step. Traditionally Bielema doesn't do that to coaches and most HC's don't either, because once you develop a reputation for being that way it is hard to get anyone to be interested in working on your staff.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 08:30:46 am
I don't disagree that Bielema should have intervened at some point to adjust what scheme we were playing with the front 4. Problem is, you change how the front 4 plays then you have to adjust the LB's and if you adjust the LB's then you may have to adjust the Secondary as well. Sounds like a complete and overall change in the middle of the season and while it may seem like a good idea to fans, it may not make sense to a staff. And I am not saying that is how the staff thought about this, but they might have. That may be why Bielema said that there were things that couldn't be done until after the season.

It does seem simple enough to change things up front to more of an attacking style especially since trying to set down in gaps and feed the LB's to limit the run, didn't work. But I try to remember when I come up with criticisms of the staff or some genius idea that I think will work, that I am not in the meeting rooms or on the field in practice in order to be afforded the exact same overview that the coaching staff has when they formulate game plans.

Why an adjustment couldn't be made in the style of play, I don't know. It's frustrating as a fan, I understand.

As for Bielema cutting a coach loose in the middle of a season, he doesn't make a habit of that. To my knowledge that has happened once and it was 1 game into the season at Wisconsin. You have to believe that something bigger was going on inside the O-Line with the Coach and the Players than just a problem with technique or style of play for him to have cut Markuson loose after game 1. I don't know what it was but it had to be a pretty big deal to take that drastic of a step. Traditionally Bielema doesn't do that to coaches and most HC's don't either, because once you develop a reputation for being that way it is hard to get anyone to be interested in working on your staff.
Great points and totally agree.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 08:30:46 am

Great post as usual.  The coach he let go during the season was a position coach too and that would be much different than changing a coordinator during the season.  If I am CBB, I think this about Smith:

-- year one was great and we can build on it.
-- year two sucked but maybe we can get back to year one numbers in year three and not continue to decline, but I am going to hire a position coach that has been successful as a DC and whom I respect.
-- year three rolls around and it is more of year two and less of year one, but you just have to make the best of it and make a move after the season. 

I cannot recall the last time I saw a coordinator moving on during the season.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

azhog10

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 03, 2017, 08:28:43 am
Geez. So you propose CBB to throw the defense into chaos during the season? Because what you suggest is what would happen - chaos.

I think the only cop out is you. Just admit it that you don't like CBB and stop copping out.
Would it have been chaos? We had our soon to be DC already on staff.....I don't think it would have been as wild and crazy as some of you lead on.

I also do like CBB. I think he's a genuine guy and is doing things the right way in terms of building these young men up the right way. I just think if RS was as bad as I am hearing, then how do you let that continue on.......? Something is off, and obviously hindsight is 20/20.

FANONTHEHILL

i assure you that his nutrition is carefully monitored by the strength and conditioning staff and the nutritionists in the Jones Center.  He has his shakes before and after workouts.  Players are placed in one of three categories, maintain, lose, or gain.  He is in the gain group.  Intake is monitored and weight taken before each workout.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 07:46:15 am

You can replace Segrest before the bolded part with Robb Smith and you would be correct as well. You could also see in the off-season that we were ramping up to have that attacking style of defense again, only to reverse once the season started.

One of these days, I'd love to know the whole story on that. Was Smith itching to be aggressive again and Bielema forcing them to be more conservative on defense? Was Bielema making off-season moves to convince Robb Smith that they had the Jimmy's and Joes to go back tot he 2014 style, but Smith chickened out? Did they both want to go more aggressive last year but both come to the conclusion that we didn't have the right personnel? Did Wise Jr get inured just before the season started that we didn't know of causing them to bail?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 06, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
You can replace Segrest before the bolded part with Robb Smith and you would be correct as well. You could also see in the off-season that we were ramping up to have that attacking style of defense again, only to reverse once the season started.

One of these days, I'd love to know the whole story on that. Was Smith itching to be aggressive again and Bielema forcing them to be more conservative on defense? Was Bielema making off-season moves to convince Robb Smith that they had the Jimmy's and Joes to go back tot he 2014 style, but Smith chickened out? Did they both want to go more aggressive last year but both come to the conclusion that we didn't have the right personnel? Did Wise Jr get inured just before the season started that we didn't know of causing them to bail?

I'll leave you to speculate on Smith. All good questions that we have all probably asked at one time or the other. We may never have an answer. All I do know is that a position coach does what he is told to do and in Segrest's case he came here having coached more aggressive D-Line play than we showed this year.   
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

It also wouldn't surprise me for coach to go after an all star type recruiter and  give the special teams coordinator title.

Best thing I heard.

Oklahawg

The thread has been cleansed.

FOTH, thanks for your words in this thread.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

theFlyingHog

Thanks for cleaning this up.

FOTH....thank you! I am greatly appreciative

Oklahawg

It is a great thread. These don't happen very often!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BRHogfan

This has been one of the best threads I've ever read on HV.

goodguytex

jcbville

As I said before, great thread. Thanks for all the great discussion and info  guys. Good stuff.

menace_hawg3

Hey HOGFANONTHEHILL!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your insights with us. Now I hope that I'm not asking too much, but can you tell us about how the players feel about this new D-LINE hire?

FANONTHEHILL

I'm excited to meet Coach Scott.  He's spent the last couple years with the Jets working under their DC Kacy Rodgers who was the D-Line coach here at Arkansas in 2002 before he was hired by the Dallas Cowboys to coach there D-Line in the 3-4.  I think Coach Scott will bring energy to the group.  There is a video of Coach Scott from a few years ago of his first spring practice with Texas Tech that will give you an idea of who he is and the energy he will bring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfDf8VKjXNY&t=90s

Since the news broke yesterday afternoon, I haven't spoken with my son about player reaction, but I will today.  I imagine they will be ready to go to work. 

Biggus Piggus

Rivals posted a story with comments from a reporter who covered Texas Tech when Scott was there. He praised Scott for his recruiting and coaching ability + said Scott's dismissal there was related to the midseason firing of the defensive coordinator and subsequent staff changes, not his performance.
[CENSORED]!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 08, 2017, 07:05:55 am
Rivals posted a story with comments from a reporter who covered Texas Tech when Scott was there. He praised Scott for his recruiting and coaching ability + said Scott's dismissal there was related to the midseason firing of the defensive coordinator and subsequent staff changes, not his performance.
He was on the staff when the DC, Matt Wallerstedt left.  Some say resigned, some say fired, for being "under the influence" on campus.  Quite a mess.  I'm not certain if Scott was a "fire" or a go find another job, but either way was out when the new DC wanted to bring in some of his own guys.  There was a lot of rumbling at Tech because 3 members of that defensive staff were fired later (Dec. 2015) and they were all Tech alumni. 

The NewEra

My opinion means very little and Coach Bielema has a history of shocking everyone with his quality hires.  I doubt this off season will be any different

I really do enjoy reading your post.  I'll take it over most of the media content out there.