Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN has the Hogs ranked #24

Started by Libertarian Hog, February 01, 2017, 04:15:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Libertarian Hog

Question with boldness even the existence of a God, for if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jeffersxon

RazrRila99

In the top 19% of the FBS teams and still 9th in the SEC.  BRUTAL.  Just another reason why the SEC is so hard to win. 

HiggiePiggy

5th in the west.  Would be 5th in the east also if we were on that side.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 01, 2017, 05:05:57 pm
5th in the west.  Would be 5th in the east also if we were on that side.

Probably where we will finish this year, 5th in the West.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Cure

It addresses some huge needs, very good haul by the staff.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

MtPorker

Last ESPN top 25  I saw scrolling by no longer had us in the top 25.  Mississippi State was 24th.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 01, 2017, 06:25:13 pm
Probably where we will finish this year, 5th in the West.

Pretty much, depends on how the defense is and if our offense is going to continue to suck in the second half.  I don't expect to be first or second in the west, but 3rd is very possible with the offensive players we have coming back.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MtPorker on February 01, 2017, 07:21:15 pm
Last ESPN top 25  I saw scrolling by no longer had us in the top 25.  Mississippi State was 24th.
We have dropped to 26th, which is too low, we are getting jobbed by the number of athletes we have and the early commits IMO it's a 16-20 class, which is still 6 or 7th in "the" league.

Hawghiggs

Would be 3rd in the Big 12. That just stuns me.  The bottom half of the Big 12 is garbage.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 01, 2017, 09:45:55 pm
Would be 3rd in the Big 12. That just stuns me.  The bottom half of the Big 12 is garbage.

Possibly we would be. The conference helps in our higher recruiting. 

hawginbigd1

Not related, but A-state #119, ouch, highest rated recruit.........3* OL Dwayne Fisher LOL. Kid must be smart, he just knew he had to get to Arkansas somehow!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 01, 2017, 09:50:51 pm
Possibly we would be. The conference helps in our higher recruiting. 

No it doesn't.  A good case could be made that being in the SEC actually hurts more than it helps.

Reason #1, Recruits know that if they sign with Arkansas they are more than likely "not" to play in a big bowl game or national title.

Reason #2, Not being in a Texas based conference hurts our ability to recruit the state of Texas. We only hauled in 2 recruits from the state.

Reason #3, Winning percentage.  Recruits want to play on teams that give them the biggest chance of winning. Arkansas in the SEC fights a up hill battle.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 01, 2017, 10:25:01 pm
No it doesn't.  A good case could be made that being in the SEC actually hurts more than it helps.

Reason #1, Recruits know that if they sign with Arkansas they are more than likely "not" to play in a big bowl game or national title.

Reason #2, Not being in a Texas based conference hurts our ability to recruit the state of Texas. We only hauled in 2 recruits from the state.

Reason #3, Winning percentage.  Recruits want to play on teams that give them the biggest chance of winning. Arkansas in the SEC fights a up hill battle.
Half of every class was from Texas from 1960 to 1990. Screwed that pipeline deal up royally.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 09:34:40 pm
We have dropped to 26th, which is too low, we are getting jobbed by the number of athletes we have and the early commits IMO it's a 16-20 class, which is still 6 or 7th in "the" league.

Nailed it. You take a couple of those late addition 3*s of the list, and we actually rise up the charts. I'd rather have the bodies than the ranking. I'm very happy with a top 25 ranking, especially with such a small in state group of kids.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 01, 2017, 06:40:03 pm
I heard 8th overall on Finnebaum.

I think when the dust settles and we are down the road a piece we may find that this class ended up being about 4th in the West and 6th overall in the SEC.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

With TAMU in the SEC it hurts us cause we are not the only show in town. We got to do better especially since our largest Alumni group is in DFW!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2017, 08:46:57 am
With TAMU in the SEC it hurts us cause we are not the only show in town. We got to do better especially since our largest Alumni group is in DFW!

I think you mean largest out-of-state alumni group. Obviously, the Northwest Arkansas Chapter is larger.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 02, 2017, 12:06:20 pm
I think you mean largest out-of-state alumni group. Obviously, the Northwest Arkansas Chapter is larger.

Link?  That's not what I've always heard.....(of course I've been asleep for a couple of decades)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 02, 2017, 12:09:35 pm
Link?  That's not what I've always heard.....(of course I've been asleep for a couple of decades)

You are saying there are more Arkansas alumni near Dallas than in Northwest Arkansas region near the university? I think you are the one that needs to provide a link, haha.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 02, 2017, 12:11:36 pm
You are saying there are more Arkansas alumni near Dallas than in Northwest Arkansas region near the university? I think you are the one that needs to provide a link, haha.
Well....... DFW is the 4th largest MSA in the USA, more people there than in 38 other states total population........ it wouldn't surprise me if the club was the largest in member count.....  but I don't know...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

secfan30

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 02, 2017, 12:11:36 pm

This used to be common knowledge back on the days before "provide links". I'm actually more surprised you've never heard this before.

hogsrule44

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 10:07:20 pm
Not related, but A-state #119, ouch, highest rated recruit.........3* OL Dwayne Fisher LOL. Kid must be smart, he just knew he had to get to Arkansas somehow!

He was on a radio show in Jonesboro yesterday and said the hogs tried to get him to come back to them and play DL, but he is set on playing OL. Take it for what it's worth.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: secfan30 on February 02, 2017, 12:31:58 pm
This used to be common knowledge back on the days before "provide links". I'm actually more surprised you've never heard this before.

I have heard it, plenty of times. It is always phrased as "Dallas has the largest out-of-state Arkansas alumni group". Hence, the out-of-state qualifier.

Edit: Even the Dallas chapter refers to themselves in several places as "the largest out-of-state chapter for the Arkansas Alumni Association". (link)

NuttinItUp

February 02, 2017, 12:46:38 pm #24 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:57:18 pm by NuttinItUp
Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 02, 2017, 12:16:33 pm
Well....... DFW is the 4th largest MSA in the USA, more people there than in 38 other states total population........ it wouldn't surprise me if the club was the largest in member count.....  but I don't know...

True. You could be right. I looked on the Arkansas alumni page and I couldn't find anywhere that they provide numbers. The closest I could come was the Greater Dallas Razorback Club on Facebook, which has 754 likes vs. the Northwest Arkansas Razorback Club on Facebook which has 4,907 likes. Of course, this provides no real data either way.

I just find it hard to believe that there would be more alumni in Dallas than in Northwest Arkansas, but who knows. I am sure the university or alumni association has info on alumni locations, but good luck getting them to share it.

Edit: I have found some stories online that say NWA and Little Rock are larger.
"The two Arkansas-based chapters which are larger than Dallas, Northwest Arkansas and Capital (Little Rock)..." (link)

According to the article, at least in 2009 it was around 22,000 alumni in the NWA group and 3,497 in the Dallas group. I assume both have grown since 2009, though.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazrRila99 on February 01, 2017, 04:19:09 pm
In the top 19% of the FBS teams and still 9th in the SEC.  BRUTAL.  Just another reason why the SEC is so hard to win. 

YEP it Tough but worth 40 million a year !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2017, 08:46:57 am
this is spot on.   When the Aggies got in, they became the place for TX talent to go to play in the SEC.  LSU gets a few each year but we could get some stud recruits to give us a look.  Now the Aggies rake in those stud recruits who can stay in Texas to go to school and play in the best conference.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 03, 2017, 02:57:46 pm
YEP it Tough but worth 40 million a year !
agreed.  Now lets take some of that $40M and get some absolute stud assistant coaches/recruiters that can convince today's stud athletes to go to school in Fayetteville so maybe we can improve on our mid 20s recruiting ranking (9th in the SEC).  Its gonna cost some $$$ but if we arent going to do it the Ole Miss, Auburn way and throw $$$ at the players, then lets throw it at the stud assistant coaches and recruiters who can get these guys to come to Fayetteville and coach them up to get us to the big bowl game at the end of the season.

goodguytex

Hopefully our Oline keeps getting better and our defense shows monster improvement. Those 2 things happen 2017 could be a very good year for Hog football.

lutherheggs

Quote from: goodguytex on February 04, 2017, 09:09:20 am
Hopefully our Oline keeps getting better and our defense shows monster improvement. Those 2 things happen 2017 could be a very good year for Hog football.
Hopefully. Yes, good ole hope. No one can take our hope from us...or can they?

ricepig

Quote from: hogsrule44 on February 02, 2017, 12:34:38 pm
He was on a radio show in Jonesboro yesterday and said the hogs tried to get him to come back to them and play DL, but he is set on playing OL. Take it for what it's worth.

Uh, it was the other way around, he called Smith on Monday to see if he could come in as a DL, we said no thanks.

LJHOG

Quote from: Cure on February 01, 2017, 07:12:29 pm
It addresses some huge needs, very good haul by the staff.
More like a load.  :(

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LJHOG on February 05, 2017, 08:08:27 am
More like a load.  :(
You are a HORRIBLE fan.  All you do is bash our players and recruits.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Al Boarland

In 2/3 years we can look back and see why we can't really break through and consistently be in the top half of the SEC.

SemperFi

Stop your damn whining and give this class a chance! I wonder how many complained about 3 star Trey Flowers when he signed with the Hogs in 2011? 24/7 had him as a composite .8080, however he was one of the stars of the SB last night and will be one of the all time great Razorbacks.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Pork Twain

Mark it down, we finish no worse than third in the west this year
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 06, 2017, 11:04:43 am
Mark it down, we finish no worse than third in the west this year

Maybe that means we also finally beat A$M.  I'll take 3rd and run...should mean 9 regular season wins.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 06, 2017, 11:15:29 am
Maybe that means we also finally beat A$M.  I'll take 3rd and run...should mean 9 regular season wins.

I want to beat the Aggies so bad. That is the one team that really gets under my skin because we should have beat them several times.

Al Boarland

Quote from: SemperFi on February 06, 2017, 10:29:09 am
Stop your damn whining and give this class a chance! I wonder how many complained about 3 star Trey Flowers when he signed with the Hogs in 2011? 24/7 had him as a composite .8080, however he was one of the stars of the SB last night and will be one of the all time great Razorbacks.
What was the record when Flowers was with the program?

hawgmasta

If we finish in the top 25 we will have won 9 games most likely; I can dig that.