Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Partridge?

Started by lakecityhog, January 14, 2017, 10:12:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 15, 2017, 03:12:08 pm
damn these assistant coaches who take head coaching jobs. What are they thinking?!
Exactly...how dare anyone try to better themselves!?

Hogs958

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 15, 2017, 03:13:59 pm

Saban should still be an assistant at Cleveland. Greedy SOB.

Hogwild

From a Wisconsin point of view, their pros and cons of Partridge seem similar to what I've read on this board.

QuoteCharlie Partridge
Current: N/A
Past: FAU head coach (2014-2016), Wisconsin DL/DC (2008-2012)

Why he should get the job:

Partridge loved Wisconsin, and athletic director Barry Alvarez pushed for him to stay when Bret Bielema left for Arkansas, but new coach Gary Andersen decided not to retain him. He coached several NFL talents along the defensive line, including J.J. Watt and O'Brien Schofield. Partridge was a coordinator for two years and understands the culture at Wisconsin. He's also a very good recruiter, especially in South Florida.

Why he shouldn't get the job:

He's not accustomed to the 3-4 defense Wisconsin runs and recruits for, and to be fair, his defenses at Wisconsin – as well as at Arkansas and FAU – weren't that great. It's also unclear what position he would coach, with Inoke Breckterfield returning as defensive line coach.

The article also had a few comments about CBB https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisconsin-hasnt-lost-assistant-coaches-money-evaluating-dc-possibilities-badgers-react-green-bays-playoff-win

QuoteBret Bielema's half-baked reasons for leaving Wisconsin continue to live in the minds of fans and the media outside of Madison.

The latest example of that comes in the wake of defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox officially accepting the head coaching job at California over the weekend, leading to the misinformed seizing on one of two narratives – both that started when Bielema threw out a boatload of excuses for leaving a three-time Big Ten champion to go to Arkansas after the 2012 season.

Instead of telling everyone the real reason – he was tired of not getting any credit for his success and being in Barry Alvarez's shadow – Bielema said, among other things, that he couldn't compete to retain assistant coaches because Wisconsin wouldn't pony up the money to keep them. And so when the Wilcox news broke, some on the fringe of reality lamented that it was a result of Wisconsin not paying to keep him, when any sane person understands that a head coaching job at a Power 5 school is a major promotion both in title and money.

Now, if Bielema only had problems retaining assistants at Wisconsin, his bogus reasoning might hold a little more water. But the same issues have followed him at Arkansas, where his staff has completely changed over in his four years, most recently with his defensive coordinator, Robb Smith, leaving for Minnesota.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: jneal56 on January 14, 2017, 01:08:04 pm
Wasn't it Broyles who wouldn't hire someone unless they were wanting to be a headcoach? If I remember correctly he didn't want any coaches who just wanted to "settle" to be a position or assistant coach. Broyles was way before my day so some of you elder wise will know that better than any article that I may have read.

I guess he struck out on Wilson Matthews.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Partridge is an ace recruiter who was instrumental in bringing in Alex Collins. I have no problem with a coach trying to better himself. Especially if he able to return to us with more knowledge under his belt! He would be an upgrade as a DL coach and is really good with special teams. Seems like a big win for us
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Al Boarland

Why would a coach that can pull better talent at another program come to Arky? Coaching is hard enough with elite talent.

870hogfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 16, 2017, 03:25:18 pm
Why would a coach that can pull better talent at another program come to Arky? Coaching is hard enough with elite talent.

Where is Arky?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 16, 2017, 11:57:24 am
Partridge is an ace recruiter who was instrumental in bringing in Alex Collins. I have no problem with a coach trying to better himself. Especially if he able to return to us with more knowledge under his belt! He would be an upgrade as a DL coach and is really good with special teams. Seems like a big win for us

I'd be curious to see a list of the guys he brought in.  Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland?  Nice.  But, we've had a lot of Florida guys bug out, too.  I know Shannon got some blame for recruiting "bad" kids. 

majp51

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:15:40 am
Nobody wants Partridge.

Well he's family.

so

C'mon get Happy !!!

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 15, 2017, 03:13:59 pm
"Now, if Bielema only had problems retaining assistants at Wisconsin, his bogus reasoning might hold a little more water. But the same issues have followed him at Arkansas, where his staff has completely changed over in his four years, most recently with his defensive coordinator, Robb Smith, leaving for Minnesota." So says the outside world. #integrity.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on January 16, 2017, 04:08:15 pm
"Now, if Bielema only had problems retaining assistants at Wisconsin, his bogus reasoning might hold a little more water. But the same issues have followed him at Arkansas, where his staff has completely changed over in his four years, most recently with his defensive coordinator, Robb Smith, leaving for Minnesota." So says the outside world. #integrity.

So, it's your view that Robb Smith left on his own volition?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 16, 2017, 11:57:24 am

While I'm all for Partridge, I think Bielema had just as much to do with Collins as anyone. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2017, 04:17:25 pm
So, it's your view that Robb Smith left on his own volition?

Only when it fits his agenda...

Hogs958

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 16, 2017, 03:25:18 pm

Stop the Arky crap.

Spektre

South Florida: Former FAU head coach Charlie Partridge is in the mix for the USF defensive line job, according to 247Sports.

-Coachingsearch.com

King Kong

Quote from: Spektre on January 18, 2017, 08:49:42 am
South Florida: Former FAU head coach Charlie Partridge is in the mix for the USF defensive line job, according to 247Sports.

-Coachingsearch.com

Yeah saw that. Maybe CP coming here isn't as done deal as I thought it was

http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 15, 2017, 03:12:08 pm
damn these assistant coaches who take head coaching jobs. What are they thinking?!
I know, right...

I retired from the Air Force in Jan 16, I have been a def contractor for 6 months, a government civilian job opened up for less pay but better long-term security, so I took it, then a better def contractor job came up so I took it and am just waiting for a start date.  Sometimes it is just about what is best for the individual and their family and the best fit for the person and sometimes it takes a while to find it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JackJohnson

-Coachingsearch.com

Here is a novel idea- stop trying to find your deadweight asst coaches jobs and fire them and hope they saved some of the 3 quarters of a million dollars you have paid them for the crap job they did and upgrade your staff to SEC standards

And yes I am talking about Segrest and Hargreaves

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: online-with-swine on January 14, 2017, 10:43:02 am
But, didn't Partridge leave to be a head coach?  I would say that's a little different.

Where did he go?

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hogwild on January 16, 2017, 11:42:14 am
From a Wisconsin point of view, their pros and cons of Partridge seem similar to what I've read on this board.

The article also had a few comments about CBB https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisconsin-hasnt-lost-assistant-coaches-money-evaluating-dc-possibilities-badgers-react-green-bays-playoff-win

Wisky fans are insane, and the most butthurt group of people I have ever seen.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Biggus Piggus

-Coachingsearch.com

Weren't they the people who said Mississippi State hired Paul Rhoads as DC last year?
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 18, 2017, 09:37:48 am
Here is a novel idea- stop trying to find your deadweight asst coaches jobs and fire them and hope they saved some of the 3 quarters of a million dollars you have paid them for the crap job they did and upgrade your staff to SEC standards

And yes I am talking about Segrest and Hargreaves

If Bielema and Partridge want to work together again, they will. The other guys don't have any bearing on the hire. Charlie loses $800,000 from his FAU buyout if he takes another job, so I don't know how serious he's looking at the DL job at USF, unless being a south Florida guy he wishes to stay in Florida.

Spektre

As with anything on the internet... who knows how credible their source was. They seem to be pretty up to speed on things though and don't label everything as a "for sure."

Biggest takeaway from it in my opinion is Coach Partridge isn't a for sure. Who knows... maybe he just likes it in Florida. You would think though that if it comes out he interviews around that obviously he's either not heard from CBB or doesn't have quite the interest in a return.

King Kong

January 18, 2017, 10:31:07 am #75 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:51:04 am by King Kong
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 09:53:40 am
Weren't they the people who said Mississippi State hired Paul Rhoads as DC last year?

That was as footballscoop. Similar to Coachingsearch

Ironically each run by brothers ... who hate each other

rhog1

My whole issue is has there been any indication that we are even trying to hire Partridge. At least with Diaco there was sources that said he interviewed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: majp51 on January 16, 2017, 03:43:35 pm
Well he's family.

so

C'mon get Happy !!!

Nice! I had a big crush on Susan Day! You might want to explain that post to the youngsters.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: rhog1 on January 18, 2017, 11:44:27 am
My whole issue is has there been any indication that we are even trying to hire Partridge. At least with Diaco there was sources that said he interviewed.

Well, for Partridge he and CBB are BFF's. Any communication by them most likely won't be leaked

Pork Twain

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 18, 2017, 12:39:02 pm
Well, for Partridge he and CBB are BFF's. Any communication by them most likely won't be leaked
He also worked under Rhoads at Pitt (2003-2007) as well as under CBB (2008-2013).

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2017, 12:45:56 pm
He also worked under Rhoads at Pitt (2003-2007) as well as under CBB (2008-2013).

I'm aware. But Rhoads and CP aren't taking summer deep sea trips together

Hog Nutt

Is the D-Line coaching position even open? Have I missed something? Are we talking about another position for Partridge?

ricepig

Quote from: Hog Nutt on January 18, 2017, 01:04:58 pm
Is the D-Line coaching position even open? Have I missed something? Are we talking about another position for Partridge?

Just pure speculation. We have a position on the defensive side of the ball open, it could go to any position, theoretically.

jneal56

Guess I missed something but  how is there still a "buyout" on a coach who was fired? Is that the correct terminology or is it something else? Sounds odd to fire someone and still have a say on whether or not they take another job.
"At least we are moral"

jneal56

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 16, 2017, 11:56:11 am
I guess he struck out on Wilson Matthews.

Even the greatest will strike out every now and again. It even happens to me sometimes!!
"At least we are moral"

ricepig

Quote from: jneal56 on January 18, 2017, 01:16:34 pm
Guess I missed something but  how is there still a "buyout" on a coach who was fired? Is that the correct terminology or is it something else? Sounds odd to fire someone and still have a say on whether or not they take another job.

Oh, they can take another job, as long as they abide by the rules of the contract they previously signed. Most contracts require the fired employee to seek employment and help offset the money you owe them, but each contract is written differently.

jneal56

Odd enough for me to not understand.....which doesn't take much.
"At least we are moral"

Pork Twain

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 18, 2017, 01:01:14 pm
I'm aware. But Rhoads and CP aren't taking summer deep sea trips together
So...  Having been worked with numerous people over the last 20+ years in the DoD, there are a lot that I loved working with that I do not maintain contact with, but would love to work with again.  Something to be said for familiarity.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2017, 01:40:03 pm
So...  Having been worked with numerous people over the last 20+ years in the DoD, there are a lot that I loved working with that I do not maintain contact with, but would love to work with again.  Something to be said for familiarity.

Agree, and I'm not trying to say that it isn't. CBB said last year when he hired Rhoads that CP talked great about him as a person and coach.

But as far as talking about taking this job I feel the major of those discussions are probably with CBB

I got it.  Maybe BB could get Broyles to come back for just 1 year as a defensive assistant just because Byroles loves the school so much.  I could see problems though.  Frank outworking BB at Frank's age and then if Frank forgot he wasn't the HC and ended up trying to run BB off from a film session due to his loud snoring, things could get testy.  Guess we wouldn't want that.

870hogfan

Quote from: 12247 on January 18, 2017, 01:47:55 pm
I got it.  Maybe BB could get Broyles to come back for just 1 year as a defensive assistant just because Byroles loves the school so much.  I could see problems though.  Frank outworking BB at Frank's age and then if Frank forgot he wasn't the HC and ended up trying to run BB off from a film session due to his loud snoring, things could get testy.  Guess we wouldn't want that.

Agenda much?

King Kong

Quote from: Hog Nutt on January 18, 2017, 01:04:58 pm

Technically the DL position is taken..... however there isn't anyone on the road recruiting for that position and a Dline coach wasn't present for Monday's team meeting.......

rhog1

Quote from: King Kong on January 18, 2017, 01:56:04 pm
Technically the DL position is taken..... however there isn't anyone on the road recruiting for that position and a Dline coach wasn't present for Monday's team meeting.......
So Segrest wasn't at the team meeting, were the rest of the staff? If the rest of the coaches were there and not him that would be pretty telling.

Redhogs

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 04:18:38 pm
Only when it fits his agenda...
Damn you caught me. My agenda is to have a successful winning program. Now go back to lapping up everything B-ert feeds you.

Tim Harris

Quote from: King Kong on January 18, 2017, 10:31:07 am

Not that it matters but I think the one who ran coachingsearch left to do something else when they became part of the 247 network.  Then like a year later they went back to being a standalone site.  At least I think that is what happened unless I dreamed it up.

factchecker

Quote from: King Kong on January 18, 2017, 10:31:07 am

Coachingsearch>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hogville>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>some-random-twitter-account->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Footballscoop

Footballscoop is ran by an Ole Miss homer who melted horribly after the #4thand25.  He was tweeting that the NCAA should reverse the call and going nuts.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 18, 2017, 02:53:38 pm
Not that it matters but I think the one who ran coachingsearch left to do something else when they became part of the 247 network.  Then like a year later they went back to being a standalone site.  At least I think that is what happened unless I dreamed it up.

It happened

King Kong

Quote from: rhog1 on January 18, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
So Segrest wasn't at the team meeting, were the rest of the staff? If the rest of the coaches were there and not him that would be pretty telling.

My understanding is there were only 2 coaches missing....

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on January 18, 2017, 03:07:07 pm
My understanding is there were only 2 coaches missing....

Probably out crootin......

For another job.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS