Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We win 7 of 9, now we lose 1 and we are NIT Bound

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 20, 2018, 10:09:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

elksnort

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

East TN HAWG

lookawayquick

Banner - did you watch the game?  Hogs got punked at home!  No style points tonight.

hogsanity

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 20, 2018, 10:10:23 pm
We need to win two more, or we will be NIT

no, just one. If they finish 9-9 in the sec they will make the ncaat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogCzar1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2018, 10:11:31 pm

Not with a first game loss in the SEC tourney.

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

hogsanity

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 20, 2018, 10:12:29 pm
Not with a first game loss in the SEC tourney.

Maybe, maybe not. Bad thing is they tend to go into funks for 3 or 4 games, so they could lose the next 3.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

navyhog24

Quote from: BassinHawg on February 20, 2018, 10:13:42 pm
I kinda see this coming.

You're not rhe only one my friend. That second half performance was reminiscent of the LSU games, MSU, and orher games. We just came out flat.

As soon as MA took out Gafford after those two huge blocks, we lost any momentum we had just gained. That sub at that time lost us this game. Very bad choice by MA.

MAGA45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2018, 10:11:31 pm

Which one?  Mayyyybe Auburn at home since they lost a player and maybe we have a flash in the pan game like A&M. Us beating the bottom feeders the last 3 weeks outside of A&M didn't fool most
Fake News

rude1

Are you saying we are a Big Dance lock? With this team the NIT could be just as likely as NCAA. I know one thing, I am exhausted from always having to try to get enough done at seasons end to sneak into the Big Dance, 7 years in I expected better.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2018, 10:14:57 pm
Maybe, maybe not. Bad thing is they tend to go into funks for 3 or 4 games, so they could lose the next 3.

The swings probably aren't as hard to understand as they seem.  We beat the three worst teams in the SEC and then a pretty average A&M team.  A four game win streak could turn into a four game losing streak with little difference in our level of play.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on February 20, 2018, 10:10:21 pm
This team could also lose the next 3

They could win all three. How about that! Just Keep Watching

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 20, 2018, 11:13:08 pm
You really believe that? We have two road wins all season, and all of a sudden we are going to double that by winning the last two?

hobhog

That would be a fireable offense with this team....

jst01

Watching you go up and down during the season is fun.

Kevin

No way you truly believe this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

Quote from: rude1 on February 20, 2018, 11:14:31 pm
You really believe that? We have two road wins all season, and all of a sudden we are going to double that by winning the last two?

Did you have Ole Miss beating Missouri at home?

HardCore

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 06:16:59 am

Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing.  We should be taking care of our own business.  Never should have lost that game tonight at home.  Pathetic!!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

cardsNhogs

This team has under achieved this season! It's been disappointing

yocdaddy

We've won 7 of 9 and are only 8-7 in the league.  We have to win one more game to get to .500 in the conference which historically is significant for at large births.  Only a few teams in history have gotten at large births with a conference record below .500.  We play at Alabama, which is currently ranked higher in the NCAA bracketology.  We have Auburn at home, which is currently sitting on a 2-seed line according to most projections.  We play at Mizzou, which is currently ranked higher in the NCAA bracketology.  There are zero guarantees for another win prior to the SEC tournament.

Scenario #1: If we lose out to end the season, we'll have to win at least 2 games in the SEC tournament to have a chance at an at large bid.  Especially with the way that Oklahoma has struggled and may miss the tournament now.  They were our best win. 

Scenario #2: We win at home against Auburn, finishing 1-2.  We are at 9-9 before the tournament with all of our better conference wins at home, which means a first round loss in the SEC could haunt us on selection Sunday. 

Scenario #3: We win one road game and the Auburn game at home, which puts us at 10-8 and solidly in the field of 68.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

The_Iceman

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HardCore on February 21, 2018, 06:36:29 am
Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing.  We should be taking care of our own business.  Never should have lost that game tonight at home.  Pathetic!!

Just Keep Watching

jst01

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 11:50:36 am
Just Keep Watching

You are so back and forth. Lets take a look back to a couple weeks ago..

my fave:

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 03, 2018, 04:35:25 pm
I was wrong about this Razorback team. It's time for the media to adk Mike some tough questions

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on February 21, 2018, 11:58:26 am
You are so back and forth. Lets take a look back to a couple weeks ago..

my fave:

Arkansas was 4-6 and playing poorly on the defensive side of the basketball. There was no reason to lose to LSU at home and put yourself in a situation to have to beat LSU on the road. This has not been a banner year for Mike.

Mike has struggled with that locker room almost all year long. However, I'll take 8-7 after starting 1-3 earlier in the season.

razorback1829

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 12:41:41 pm
Arkansas was 4-6 and playing poorly on the defensive side of the basketball. There was no reason to lose to LSU at home and put yourself in a situation to have to beat LSU on the road. This has not been a banner year for Mike.

Mike has struggled with that locker room almost all year long. However, I'll take 8-7 after starting 1-3 earlier in the season.

It's like nobody sees the inconsistency of every team in the country. Even the blue bloods. All they want to do is bitch and whine. No real intellect about program building. Nothing. Just whine and complain, win or loss. Their lives are probably the same way.

Otis

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 01:50:20 pm
It's like nobody sees the inconsistency of every team in the country. Even the blue bloods. All they want to do is bitch and whine. No real intellect about program building. Nothing. Just whine and complain, win or loss. Their lives are probably the same way.

Nothing really inconsistent. We beat the lower rated teams and lose to the better teams every year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Otis on February 21, 2018, 01:53:12 pm
Nothing really inconsistent. We beat the lower rated teams and lose to the better teams every year.

Tennessee said Hey!

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 01:50:20 pm

Year 7 and we have never had some as Larry Johnson put it back in the day "Men" aside from the couple that happened to be from Arkansas and were going there no matter what.  Mike's defensive half court system allows teams to have season highs nearly every night.  Mike hasn't been able to develop or recruit a third option that can get their own shot.  In year 7 that's on him.

Like someone pointed out how were we doing before we started beating up on the bottom of the conference?

daprospecta

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 21, 2018, 07:11:55 am
This team has under achieved this season! It's been disappointing
Did you include Garland in your predictions? I believe Garland is worth a win or two this season if healthy.  We are primed to go back to the tourney where anything can happen.  The real question you have to ask yourself is who is under performing as a player? Macon and Barford are doing what we expect.  Gafford is playing above his expectations.  The only players that may not be living up to the hype are role players.  We are where we should be, give or take a game or two.  I appreciate Thomas, Thompson, and Cook for choosing the hogs but they lack the athleticism to produce night in and night out. Every recruit we have signed moving forward are potential PTP'ers.  We make the tourney this year and have better players coming in.  Stop complaining. 

majp51

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 20, 2018, 10:09:22 pm
That's what the posters say

The problem is the schedule.

The one home game left is against an Auburn team that is legitimately a top 15 team.
The two road games are teams that are variants of Arkansas (by that I mean bubble teams that will be pushing hard)

if they win the one home game, then I think it is a matter of Seeding in the NCAA's they are playing for, but consider this.

Arkansas could easily lose all 3 games, and I don't expect them to be favored in any of them. Just in a bad spot with some unfortunate scheduling in the mix.

majp51

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 02:40:17 pm
Tennessee said Hey!

To be fair there are exceptions to every generalization, but a 2 point home win in OT is not exactly a ringing endorsement. It certainly shouldn't be dismissed either mind you, but ti doesn't invalidate his point.

hawganatic

We win 7-9
We're only 4-3 in our last 7 games
We were perfect the four games before last night's loss
We're 8-7 since we started conference play...

I don't understand this fascination with creating metrics to make your point.  The only two metrics that matter are conference record and overall record.  When you look at it in the context of starting 11-2, and now sitting at 18-9, that doesn't paint a very good picture.

Nobody cares about 7 out of 9.  It's an arbitrary measure that you made up to make your point.

majp51

Quote from: hawganatic on February 21, 2018, 03:25:10 pm
We win 7-9
We're only 4-3 in our last 7 games
We were perfect the four games before last night's loss
We're 8-7 since we started conference play...

I don't understand this fascination with creating metrics to make your point.  The only two metrics that matter are conference record and overall record.  When you look at it in the context of starting 11-2, and now sitting at 18-9, that doesn't paint a very good picture.

Nobody cares about 7 out of 9.  It's an arbitrary measure that you made up to make your point.

the irony of course being that we were only 7 out of 9 before the Kentucky game.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: majp51 on February 21, 2018, 03:23:31 pm
To be fair there are exceptions to every generalization, but a 2 point home win in OT is not exactly a ringing endorsement. It certainly shouldn't be dismissed either mind you, but ti doesn't invalidate his point.

You guys are something else

Jim Harris

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 20, 2018, 10:17:51 pm
You're not rhe only one my friend. That second half performance was reminiscent of the LSU games, MSU, and orher games. We just came out flat.

As soon as MA took out Gafford after those two huge blocks, we lost any momentum we had just gained. That sub at that time lost us this game. Very bad choice by MA.

Players do ask to come out. Gafford motioned to come out at that moment.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

EastexHawg

Quote from: majp51 on February 21, 2018, 03:20:20 pm
Arkansas could easily lose all 3 games, and I don't expect them to be favored in any of them. Just in a bad spot with some unfortunate scheduling in the mix.

The schedule was just as fortunate earlier, when our four straight wins were against the three worst teams in the SEC and a mediocre A&M squad that is clearly  reeling.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 06:16:59 am
We aren't Ole Miss, so that is irrelevant to what happens when we play them. Our reality is two road wins all season and facing 2 out of 3 remaining games on the road. That is our reality............