Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we temper expectations a bit?

Started by hogz11, December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: a0ashle on December 08, 2017, 08:43:21 am
This team isn't a 4 win team, it severely underperformed. I think 7 wins is doable. Here is where we really need work, not being sooo uptight if expectations aren't met. The difference between 5 and 7 wins is razor thin in this league.

Very NFL like in that sense.  If Ramsey holds onto pick 6 we may have beaten Mizzou for example.   Our OM win. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

The AD just said losing games will result in termination for cause. 

If he expects to win, I think the fans should, too.

Ā 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 08:48:33 am
I have a feeling A&M will be circled. We're going to end that streak this year in Dallas.

Win that game and sign Grant Gunnell... fun times ahead. 

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2017, 08:40:40 am
Because we're fans, not players?
If am not mistaken coach said in his PC that he needed all our help. I guess am a lot like him in some ways because if you tell me I can't do something or that it can't be done, I'm fixing to do my best to prove you wrong. So as a fan and not a player I'm not going to temper mine or the team's expectations. Everyone get behind these guys and let's do this!!
#HAMMERDOWNATLANTABOUND
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogz11 on December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm
Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

Again, I hope CCM and the Hogs blow the doors off the rest of the SEC.

Not after the past 6 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MckinneyHog5, Bret Bielema couldn't have won 8 next season with this team.  Truth is, he most likely could not have won 8 next season if you spotted him the 4 he won this season just finished.  I mean, 2 of the 4 we won this past season were 1 point wins against crap teams.

I would expect any coach we hired to win 6 next season and that would include you if you came on as coach.  The horse hockey about needing years of time and bringing in the right players and getting a recruiting foothold and installing his system is all true and Morris or anyone else needs to get their rears in gear and get it done.  We are paying for 9 or 10 win seasons and getting 4 win seasons for a result and that is not acceptable.

However, expecting any coach to take this no coached group, change what they came here expecting to find as scheme and then completely changing it and having to actually install a winning attitude and work ethic causes me to believe if they reach 6 wins, they've done a good job.  Most of our current players know less about attitude, work ethic and basic football than they did the day they got out of High School.  Eight wins next season would a be a miracle.

Hawgzinbowlz

6-6 Would seem an improvement over the spectacle we have recently witnessed.

" GO HOGS "

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

Your expectations influence nothing but your reaction to the facts after they are addressed. I don't know what to expect, but I do expect that these guys will be able to play ball next year. Many if not most of these kids played a similar offense in High School, and if we are talented then winners know how to win. We have a winner in charge now. Getting beaten is not a shame. Laying down is. This team laid down. Their attitude is going to be the biggest hurdle. I think CCM cleared it well already.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

Look at the schedule and consider that 4 west teams will have new coaches.  Also consider the way this season unfolded. The loss to TCU was a key.  I said we may lose as many as 9 because of the way the schedule set up.  We only had 3 games you could say we should win.  We knew we would lose to Alabama, Auburn and LSU.  The other six were hard to call preseason.  We'll have 6 in 2018 we should win, 3 we should lose, and 3 toss ups. 

Six wins should be the baseline for 2018.  We have the talent to win 9.  If we get lucky in one of the ones we shouldn't win we could win 10.  That would most likely be LSU at home. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

El Puerco Grande

We shoukd win 7 games simply by giving Hammonds more than 4 or 4 touches per game.
How 'bout them hogs?

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

rhog1

I expect a Bobby Petrino like first year. Not the big year we are all hoping for, but a lot of improvements all season long. I see it anywhere from 5 to 8 wins.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: imtad16 on December 07, 2017, 11:41:39 pm
We have 4 games against the group of 5 in the non conference slate with a game @Colorado State. The game in Colorado Springs could be tricky and might be hard fought with all of our changes, but we should win it and get the 4 non conference games. The 5th win should come against Ole Miss that is hemorrhaging players. The 6th win will probably be against Vandy. Vandy is much stronger than the Vandy of the past under Derek Mason and will have a senior QB in Kyle Shurmur, but I'd like to think with nearly everyone returning we can still beat Vandy at home. The rest we will be underdogs against. I think we should win 6 with the chance we pull and upset in one of the other 6.

When did CSU move from Ft Collins???
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Ā 

wachhog

If he doesn't win a game, I'll still be happy just because he replaced Bielema. I couldn't stand Bretā€”his style of play, his style of clothes, his loud mouth, his Vegas wife.

swineology

Bert could win 7, CCM should win 9 if he's worth his Red Bull and hype

hawaiianhogster

OK then we go 1-11 with the only win due to a forfeit. How's that? Better? LOL

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2017, 08:41:07 am
I don't think it is way out there by any means, but I just find it odd that people look at the roster as it stands today and think 7 wins is a gimmee.

We will learn alot on the trip to Fort Collins. CSU is not great, but this will be a test of a young team on their 1st road game, at altitude 2nd game with a new coach and new schemes. And it will be CSu's super bowl, a chance to knock off a sec team.

Oh they will be waiting...and drunk!

Only at CSU do you have a brand new stadium with New Belgium and Odell's breweries stadium on a patio overlooking the field!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hawgdavis

To do well the OL has to be fixed and the D must be at the very least average.
Do that and we can get 6-8.

Many new coaches though with a different philosophy than the previous coach tend to start off slow.

Petrino did, Saban did, Smart at Ga last year. It sometimes takes a season to get the changes implemented  and most importantly the culture change .
The culture change I think is going to be the biggest factor, if it happens quickly maybe 8 wins , if it take all season the maybe 6 either way I will be happy and it will be an improvement.

Citizen2729

Without knowing the DC and not having a QB to run this offense. Plus a totally new system for all returning players we will be doing good to get 6. Don't be shocked if we lay an egg in a cupcake game. Give the guy a minute and don't get too hyped yet.

Bash

December 10, 2017, 10:25:43 pm #69 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:45:58 pm by Bash

Temper expectations?  From what I'm seeing, there are two dominant pathological types:

(1) Those that are freakishly obsessed with all coaches not named Morris.  Norvell would have guaranteed 10+ wins a season. Kiffin was a real candidate.  Gus should be the next Dos Equis guy.  Leach can cure cancer.  Nutt wasn't so bad.  Bring back Bob.

(2) Those that are freakishly obsessed will all things Chad. What's our new Twitter hash tag?  What do we name the helicopter?  Will he wear a visor?  That SMU commit that we flipped will get us into the playoffs. How can we stop 5* Texas recruits from coming here cuz we can only take so many?  Will Chad being here result in an SEC mercy rule when were score 100+ every game?
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Pork Twain

Let me start off by saying I’ve come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I’ve seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don’t know if I can expect much year 1.

7-5 does not seem unrealistic to me at all.  This was a much better team than the record reflected, no thanks to coaching.  This still reminds me a lot of HDN first year.  He took over a very talented team that the previous staff could not get the most out of.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HeathWimp

Let me start off by saying I’ve come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I’ve seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don’t know if I can expect much year 1.

I see 4 wins next year.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 08, 2017, 01:42:12 am
There is a lot of talent on this team.  Reminds a lot og the team that HDN took over from Ford.  Just because our coaches could not maximize on that talent, does mean it is not there

Disagree.  We are talent deficient compared to the teams we want to beat.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 10, 2017, 08:12:12 pm
We have the talent to win 9. 
Recruiting rankings the past 4 cycles say otherwise.

Ā 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogz11 on December 08, 2017, 07:11:51 am
I like it!! Hope it happens!
Look at the schedule. We should win 4 games just by showing up.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2017, 08:39:14 am
This conference is so upside down right now nothing's a given, and this team is a bit short on talent.  I'm not sure they've got more talent right now than when Bielema first showed up.

Talent might be their biggest problem.  They need JUCO guys or talented true freshman playing immediately at several positions, notably QB, OL, LB, and S.
We got more talent than people think. Coach B and his staff just didn't know how to use it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 10, 2017, 10:52:44 pm
7-5 does not seem unrealistic to me at all.  This was a much better team than the record reflected, no thanks to coaching.  This still reminds me a lot of HDN first year.  He took over a very talented team that the previous staff could not get the most out of.
Pork, me and you agree ;D.

GuvHog

Quote from: Citizen2729 on December 10, 2017, 09:10:40 pm
Without knowing the DC and not having a QB to run this offense. Plus a totally new system for all returning players we will be doing good to get 6. Don't be shocked if we lay an egg in a cupcake game. Give the guy a minute and don't get too hyped yet.

Don't underestimate Cole Kelly at QB. He was at his best last season when he was in the shotgun and he was a first year player. It's amazing what a year of experience and an off season under the right coach can do.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Styflin

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 08, 2017, 12:20:51 am
Nope BB could have won 8 next year with the schedule..need to keep up with that as a minimum or get the pitchforks out!  Also, we paid 15 million to get rid of Long and BB and add that into what we're paying Cm and he needs to hit the ground running.

BB can't win. I'm pretty sure he proved that over the course of 5 years. To say he would win 8 next year is a stretch.

Styflin

Quote from: Bash on December 10, 2017, 10:25:43 pm
Temper expectations?  From what I'm seeing, there are two dominant pathological types:

(1) Those that are freakishly obsessed with all coaches not named Morris.  Norvell would have guaranteed 10+ wins a season. Kiffin was a real candidate.  Gus should be the next Dos Equis guy.  Leach can cure cancer.  Nutt wasn't so bad.  Bring back Bob.

(2) Those that are freakishly obsessed will all things Chad. What's our new Twitter hash tag?  What do we name the helicopter?  Will he wear a visor?  That SMU commit that we flipped will get us into the playoffs. How can we stop 5* Texas recruits from coming here cuz we can only take so many?  Will Chad being here result in an SEC mercy rule when were score 100+ every game?

Thanks Doc

HotlantaHog

I think 6-6 is likely, maybe 7-5 given the schedule is pretty easy this year.

It's pretty clear all the pieces that are needed aren't there. If it turns out that the talent is better than we think (and just was misused by an inept former coaching staff), something like 8 wins would be reasonable.

I'm an optimist and love the hire. But it's going to take a year or two for things to really take off.

hogcards

7-5

We're not going to beat A & M, Bama and Missouri.  We just don't any longer.  So pencil those in as automatic losses.

Sept 1 Eastern Illinois W

Sept. 8 at Colorado State W

Sept. 15 North Texas W

Sept. 22 at Auburn L

Sept. 29 vs. Texas A&M (in Arlington) L

Oct. 6 Alabama L

Oct. 13 Ole Miss W

Oct. 20 Tulsa W

Oct. 27 Vanderbilt W

Nov. 3 OPEN DATE

Nov. 10 LSU L

Nov. 17 at Mississippi State W

Nov. 24 at Missouri L
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hogsanity

Even CM is acknowledging some depth issues at key spots. They are still going to be one key injury away from things changing significantly.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TDHawgs

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 08:27:34 am
7-5

We're not going to beat A & M, Bama and Missouri.  We just don't any longer.  So pencil those in as automatic losses.

Sept 1 Eastern Illinois W

Sept. 8 at Colorado State W

Sept. 15 North Texas W

Sept. 22 at Auburn L

Sept. 29 vs. Texas A&M (in Arlington) L

Oct. 6 Alabama L

Oct. 13 Ole Miss W

Oct. 20 Tulsa W

Oct. 27 Vanderbilt W

Nov. 3 OPEN DATE

Nov. 10 LSU L

Nov. 17 at Mississippi State W

Nov. 24 at Missouri L
I disagree about Missouri. Drew Lock will more than likely leave early, especially since the Offensive Coordinator left, and we will definitely have a shot at beating them. Even with Drew Lock (record breaking QB), we played them toe to toe this year with Coach BB at the helm. So I think it will be a toss up game with Missouri due to that fact.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 11, 2017, 06:51:09 am
Recruiting rankings the past 4 cycles say otherwise.

BS. 

First, "recruiting rankings" isn't how they keep score.  They're largely a creation of the digital age and are self fulfilling prophecies that generally track expectations based upon prior experience.  Case in point is Arkansas' s record against Auburn beteen 1992 and 2012.  Auburn's classes averaged 11 and Arkansas' s classes averaged 26, yet head to head they were 10-10-1. 

Second, most recruits at SEC schools are 3 stars.  There is a WIDE range of talent among 3-star players.  Most of those 3-stars get their rankings at "elite" camps that wouldn't exist
without the recruiting fanatics who hang on every tweet.  Many of these players spend most of their time training for camp drills.  They dress for camps in their best swag and the entire show becomes a beauty contest.  There is no tackling.  Blocking, sort, of, by linemen testing strength.  Coaches have to watch film to determine who is a football player and who isn't, but they are also under tremendous pressure from fans to bring in only highly rated recruits.  Some of the best high school football players don't play the ranking system for a variety of reasons.  Some don't know much about it and many can't afford it. 

LSU, Alabama and Auburn are going to get more 4 and 5 star players than Arkansas because of their location.  A&M will for the same reason, and their recruits will get a bump based upon perception of the program, which perception is something of a mystery to us. Ole Miss bought some highly rated players and now must pay for it.  Mississippi State does not recruit better than Arkansas, and Missouri's classes are consistently ranked lower.  Vanderbilt's bring up the bottom of the conference every year.

So, based on rankings alone, Arkansas has the talent to win 8.  A&M has won the last 5 but 3 have gone to OT.  A&M is the most overrated program in college football.  Arkansa has the talent to beat them every year.  Alabama, Auburn and LSU are head and shoulders above us right now.  Whether that will change is anyone's guess, but we have beaten all three enough to make it feasible we can do it again.

Hogwild

I think we will improve with the new coaching staff, but this team has won just one game of it's last 11 against P5 teams.   This is not a very talented roster, getting to a bowl game next year would be a major step forward, even with the easy schedule. 

We've had 2 DCs, #3 in on the way, with different schemes.  I kept hearing how much the defense was going to improve under the new system, didn't even finish in the top 100 defenses.  Our OL is a mess and we lost the best center in the country.  We need a major infusion of speed, that will not happen overnight. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 08:41:51 am
BS. 

First, "recruiting rankings" isn't how they keep score.  They're largely a creation of the digital age and are self fulfilling prophecies that generally track expectations based upon prior experience.  Case in point is Arkansas' s record against Auburn beteen 1992 and 2012.  Auburn's classes averaged 11 and Arkansas' s classes averaged 26, yet head to head they were 10-10-1. 

Second, most recruits at SEC schools are 3 stars.  There is a WIDE range of talent among 3-star players.  Most of those 3-stars get their rankings at "elite" camps that wouldn't exist
without the recruiting fanatics who hang on every tweet.  Many of these players spend most of their time training for camp drills.  They dress for camps in their best swag and the entire show becomes a beauty contest.  There is no tackling.  Blocking, sort, of, by linemen testing strength.  Coaches have to watch film to determine who is a football player and who isn't, but they are also under tremendous pressure from fans to bring in only highly rated recruits.  Some of the best high school football players don't play the ranking system for a variety of reasons.  Some don't know much about it and many can't afford it. 

LSU, Alabama and Auburn are going to get more 4 and 5 star players than Arkansas because of their location.  A&M will for the same reason, and their recruits will get a bump based upon perception of the program, which perception is something of a mystery to us. Ole Miss bought some highly rated players and now must pay for it.  Mississippi State does not recruit better than Arkansas, and Missouri's classes are consistently ranked lower.  Vanderbilt's bring up the bottom of the conference every year.

So, based on rankings alone, Arkansas has the talent to win 8.  A&M has won the last 5 but 3 have gone to OT.  A&M is the most overrated program in college football.  Arkansa has the talent to beat them every year.  Alabama, Auburn and LSU are head and shoulders above us right now.  Whether that will change is anyone's guess, but we have beaten all three enough to make it feasible we can do it again.

So funny, we have people who want to discount recruiting rankings UNLESS it is some kid from in state that goes to play somewhere else. Then, all of a sudden we just lost the greatest player ever because Ohio St or Bama got a 4 star to leave Arkansas.

You can say recruiting rankings do not matter, but isn't it strange that the teams that have better recruiting year after year tend to win year after year? There has to be something to those rankings.
Now, every recruit does not play to their ranking. Some 3 stars turn into 5 star type players and some 5 stars do not play up to that level either.

How anyone can look at the roster of the Hogs and say they have the talent to win games is just crazy to me. They went 4-8, and lost some of their better players. They are going to be installing a new offense and quite possibly a new defense, and they also could be playing with a QB that is a rs fr or tr fr. Nothing about this team says they SHOULD win 7 or 8 games. They may win 10+, or they may win 5 or 6. With so much new stuff so much transition, to say they SHOULD do anything is guessing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The NewEra

The only thing that can keep this team from getting to 7 wins or better next year is the returning players.  It seems every time a coach is fired and the new one comes in, there is always a group of players who don't buy in, won't buy in, and they create a cancerous environment in the locker room.  The #1 key for Morris and his staff is to quickly identify those who aren't willing to get in #TheFastLane with the rest of the team and remove them from the program.  I have a feeling his conditioning program alone will help him identify those people fairly quickly.  Once that's accomplished this program will be #FullTiltBoogie.  The entitlement attitude Bielema instilled, where more senior, or good buddy players, played over more talented ones will come to an end. 

Changing just a few things alone will get us 2-3 more wins a season:
1)  Emphasis on Special Teams
2)  Playing four quarters and benching the quitters
3)  Playing the best players
4)  Creative play calling / Being unpredictable
5)  Hurry up offense
6)  Halftime adjustments
7)  Attacking Defense
8)  Learning how to tackle
9)  Being properly conditioned
10) Clock Management

And that's just a few of the easy changes. 

I would rather be disappointed than temper my expectations.

Kevin

7 wins should be the number for next year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 08:55:55 am
So funny, we have people who want to discount recruiting rankings UNLESS it is some kid from in state that goes to play somewhere else. Then, all of a sudden we just lost the greatest player ever because Ohio St or Bama got a 4 star to leave Arkansas.

You can say recruiting rankings do not matter, but isn't it strange that the teams that have better recruiting year after year tend to win year after year? There has to be something to those rankings.
Now, every recruit does not play to their ranking. Some 3 stars turn into 5 star type players and some 5 stars do not play up to that level either.

How anyone can look at the roster of the Hogs and say they have the talent to win games is just crazy to me. They went 4-8, and lost some of their better players. They are going to be installing a new offense and quite possibly a new defense, and they also could be playing with a QB that is a rs fr or tr fr. Nothing about this team says they SHOULD win 7 or 8 games. They may win 10+, or they may win 5 or 6. With so much new stuff so much transition, to say they SHOULD do anything is guessing.

So funny that we need recruiting rankings at all.  Do you need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows?

bphi11ips

Quote from: The NewEra on December 11, 2017, 08:56:39 am
The only thing that can keep this team from getting to 7 wins or better next year is the returning players.  It seems every time a coach is fired and the new one comes in, there is always a group of players who don't buy in, won't buy in, and they create a cancerous environment in the locker room.  The #1 key for Morris and his staff is to quickly identify those who aren't willing to get in #TheFastLane with the rest of the team and remove them from the program.  I have a feeling his conditioning program alone will help him identify those people fairly quickly.  Once that's accomplished this program will be #FullTiltBoogie.  The entitlement attitude Bielema instilled, where more senior, or good buddy players, played over more talented ones will come to an end. 

5)  Hurry up offense
6)  Halftime adjustments
7)  Attacking Defense
10) Clock Management

Good list.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 09:04:45 am
So funny that we need recruiting rankings at all.  Do you need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows?

If you will note I rarely if ever go to the recruiting forum, nor do I obsess over stars, BUT there has got to be something to the rankings, something to the fact that Bama, Ohio St and a few others just get better players than everyone else.

The NewEra

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 09:12:04 am
If you will note I rarely if ever go to the recruiting forum, nor do I obsess over stars, BUT there has got to be something to the rankings, something to the fact that Bama, Ohio St and a few others just get better players than everyone else.

Many argue that the big difference between a 3-4, or 4-5 * player is their ability to play immediately at the next level.  3*'s in many cases are perceived to have the right skillset, but need further coaching and body work.  Five's in many cases have all the athleticism, skill and body to compete in the SEC immediately.  That's why there are only about 25 each year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 09:12:04 am

That's exactly my point.  They have for a hundred years. Do you need rankings to know who gets the best players? 

Where the rankings fall apart is below the elite powers. Evaluation and coaching takes over from there. Regardless, there is a well established hierarchy of power in college football. By-and-large, recruiting rankings follow that hierarchy. Occassionally the rankings are useful to predict a spike, as in the case of Ole Miss.  4 and 5 star players are easily identified. Ole Miss improved significantly with Nkimdeche, et al. But it usually works the other way. Look at Tennessee and its record vs. its recruiting rankings lately. Look at UCLA. How often do rankings predict an Arkansas finishing 5?  Did the rankings predict TCU's rise?  No, they lagged behind it because they are based on the past like preseason rankings. At the very top both are reliable. After about 10 both are a crap shoot.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 09:30:21 am
That's exactly my point.  They have for a hundred years. Do you need rankings to know who gets the best players? 

After about 10 both are a crap shoot.

Which is why saying this team SHOULD win 8 games is crazy. We have no idea what players on the roster will fit what CM wants to do, which ones will leave, which ones might flourish, and we have no idea what the defense will look like since we do not even know who the dc will be yet.

Dropkick

bphi11ips

Quote from: The NewEra on December 11, 2017, 09:22:19 am
Many argue that the big difference between a 3-4, or 4-5 * player is their ability to play immediately at the next level.  3*'s in many cases are perceived to have the right skillset, but need further coaching and body work.  Five's in many cases have all the athleticism, skill and body to compete in the SEC immediately.  That's why there are only about 25 each year.

Hence the"beauty contest".  I've had an up close look at the "elite" camp system the last couple of years. Some of the best looking physical specimens you've ever seen can't play a lick of football and/or don't want to in pads. And a lot of them are getting scholarships. Easier to explain why a 3-star didn't work than why a two-star or unknown didn't.

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 08:55:55 am

Logic supports what you say, but it just isn't the right time for logic.  :)

Personally I have tempered my expectations for next year somewhat, but still expect a six or seven win season and a bowl game.  (no bowl game is insignificant because of the extra practice time and the extra exposure it gives the team). 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: The NewEra on December 11, 2017, 08:56:39 am

5)  Hurry up offense
6)  Halftime adjustments
7)  Attacking Defense
10) Clock Management

That last statement is where I am. I'm all for giving the new regime time, but the expectations are that we hit the ground running. How CCM responds to barriers will tell us a lot about how successful he will be here.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 09:34:22 am
Which is why saying this team SHOULD win 8 games is crazy. We have no idea what players on the roster will fit what CM wants to do, which ones will leave, which ones might flourish, and we have no idea what the defense will look like since we do not even know who the dc will be yet.

Who said we should?  I said we should win 6. Do you disagree?  I said we can we 9. Do you disagree?  I said we probably can't beat three teams on the schedule?  Do you disagree?