Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey Thompson

Started by Bacon_Bitz, February 18, 2017, 06:55:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

Quote from: realistichog on February 18, 2017, 09:35:07 pm
Mike played Trey less than 20 minutes his freshman year which just wasted a year of eligibility. That move is looking dumber by the day.
Please explain to me why you feel he will be badly needed for the 2018-19 season? 

hogwood

Tonight Trey gave me confidence that even though he'll be the only post man down low  with experience next year that we'll be okay.

And now that TT and MK have been playing together the last few games more often, I'm firmly in the opinion that Mike needs and wants 2 legit bigs for each rotation. His defense works so much better and we can actually rebound which all leads to more fast breaks - especially when your bigs can handle the ball (MK) and pass (TT). They both looked so beautiful out there tonight. I wish they had another year to play together like this!!

Youngsta71701

Mike played Trey less than 20 minutes his freshman year which just wasted a year of eligibility. That move is looking dumber by the day.
Basketball players usually don't redshirt like football players unless they are injured.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 18, 2017, 08:56:58 pm
A compliment for MA by Iceman. Things have really changed!!
Hell has to be freezing over. lol...Winning will do that to a fan base. "Just Win Mikey" :razorback:

realistichog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 18, 2017, 09:45:17 pm
Please explain to me why you feel he will be badly needed for the 2018-19 season?
Please explain to me how having a 5th year senior big man would not be an asset?

TheEnemy

Yeah Trey and Moses also looked good passing the ball into each other.

Alot of the times it seems that our backcourt forgets to look to pass inside......Moses and Trey looks for each other alot.  Worked great.

Swinesong1

Quote from: realistichog on February 18, 2017, 09:59:20 pm
Please explain to me how having a 5th year senior big man would not be an asset?
Having a 13 schollie roster is an asset.  Doesn't make you dumber n dumber if you don't.  Now, go back and tell me how many non-injured role type big men have been redshirted in AR hoops history.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 18, 2017, 09:59:12 pm
Hell has to be freezing over. lol...Winning will do that to a fan base. "Just Win Mikey" :razorback:

No Fire Mike tonight. I'm pleasantly surprised by that comment of Iceman.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on February 18, 2017, 09:16:24 pm
Trey should get every one of Thomas's minutes going forward.  No comparison. Never seen so many missed one footers.  Thomas is skeert!!!

Trey deserves every minute and just enough time out of the line up to catch his breath..
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

pigsooie1000

geez, that was incredibly dumb. anyone know why this happened?

hogwood

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 18, 2017, 10:13:20 pm
geez, that was incredibly dumb. anyone know why this happened?

Ummm... He, like, totally sucked as a freshman. It's called player development. He's been a project player ever since he was recruited here.

pigsooie1000

Quote from: hogwood on February 18, 2017, 10:18:55 pm
Ummm... He, like, totally sucked as a freshman. It's called player development. He's been a project player ever since he was recruited here.

I mean I know why he barely played, he was awful. but why did he play at all?

Swinesong1

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 18, 2017, 11:41:10 pm
He played a total of 33 minutes in 14 games.  I'm still not understanding the big fuss being made.  Why would he be needed so badly for 2018-19?  Gafford, Perry n Henderson are committed and Bailey will be a junior.  Plus, we're still recruiting.  Am I missing something.  Well, other than fishing for something new to bash Anderson about?

ballinhog

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on February 18, 2017, 07:41:54 pm
I  hope Mike starts Trey along side Gafford next year. 

I've been thinking the same thing after seeing how we've looked the past 2 games with Trey and Kingsley on the court together.

biglewhog77

They need to start Trey get him ready for next

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 19, 2017, 12:19:56 am

Got a whole offseason for that. We need to worry about this year

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 18, 2017, 09:59:12 pm

Well, when guys actually stay instead of transferring out or leaving, Mike can actually build a program. Roster management has been Mike's biggest issue so far.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 18, 2017, 10:07:22 pm
No Fire Mike tonight. I'm pleasantly surprised by that comment of Iceman.
You must mean Mediocre Mike, the one who gets out coached by every coach he plays.. the one who can't manage a game.. can't recruit... is that the Mike your talking about?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 19, 2017, 05:13:10 am
You must mean Mediocre Mike, the one who gets out coached by every coach he plays.. the one who can't manage a game.. can't recruit... is that the Mike your talking about?
Yes.  That one!  😜

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 18, 2017, 07:16:55 pm
Trey was getting that ball out of there quick like Oliver Miller used to back in the day.

Was thinking the same thing watching him last night. Big O!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 19, 2017, 05:13:10 am

Just be cautious. The last time we were a bubble team, we won 6 straight at the end of the season and everything looked great. Then Mike lost to sub-.500 Alabama and South Carolina and we went to the NIT.

Still 4 games left.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2017, 06:34:56 am
Just be cautious. The last time we were a bubble team, we won 6 straight at the end of the season and everything looked great. Then Mike lost to sub-.500 Alabama and South Carolina and we went to the NIT.

Still 4 games left.
So why don't you use that same restraint after losses? 

hawgsalot

Trey had a great game and I also remember him balling in a tournament game his freshman year!

old_school_hawg

He stayed out of foul trouble... If he starts doing more of that we will get to watch him show out a lot!!!
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

rude1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 18, 2017, 11:50:14 pm
He played a total of 33 minutes in 14 games.  I'm still not understanding the big fuss being made.  Why would he be needed so badly for 2018-19?  Gafford, Perry n Henderson are committed and Bailey will be a junior.  Plus, we're still recruiting.  Am I missing something.  Well, other than fishing for something new to bash Anderson about?
It's hard for some to understand that with 13 scholarships you don't redshirt a marginal prospect in hopes he develops into a contributor, if he doesn't you will have tied up a scholarship for 5 years for minimal gain. There are already better prospects signed for his replacement with the opportunity to sign another with his scholarship.

Swinesong1

Quote from: rude1 on February 19, 2017, 07:52:21 am
It's hard for some to understand that with 13 scholarships you don't redshirt a marginal prospect in hopes he develops into a contributor, if he doesn't you will have tied up a scholarship for 5 years for minimal gain. There are already better prospects signed for his replacement with the opportunity to sign another with his scholarship.
Exactly!

Dominicanhog

cableguy

People stop acting like Trey has played this well all year. He had his best game. I think it's probably because of playing with Moses help him. He is by far our best passer. Just imagine if we had a point guard with his passing abilities, I think we would be a top 15 team.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2017, 06:34:56 am

Still 4 games left.

Mike lost the games?  That must have been some awfully bad coaching for him to lose the games all by himself.

daBoar

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 19, 2017, 12:19:56 am
13.6........minutes per Field Goal. That's the worst on the team, by far, for scholly guys.  His 4 buckets yesterday were 16% of his season's total (27 games).  At home, during a blow out.

He's got to learn, quickly, how to play more aggressively on the O.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2017, 02:18:27 pm
Mike lost the games?  That must have been some awfully bad coaching for him to lose the games all by himself.

Mike should get as much blame for those losses, as he gets for the wins.

Mike coached poorly in those games, but he has shown some good strategy and game plan adjustments, like not constantly switching on high pick and rolls and getting Kinglsey and Thompson 30 feet away from the basket.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 18, 2017, 11:50:14 pm
They are saying if Trey was not going to play much why not redshirt him instead of wasting a year. I understand exactly what they are saying but college basketball players usually don't redshirt unless they are injured or they transfer to another D1 school. They are looking at it like it's college football.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 19, 2017, 08:05:31 pm
They are saying if Trey was not going to play much why not redshirt him instead of wasting a year. I understand exactly what they are saying but college basketball players usually don't redshirt unless they are injured or they transfer to another D1 school. They are looking at it like it's college football.
I know what they're saying.  My point is Thompson will be badly needed next year which will be his senior year. They're acting like this is his senior year.  Why make a big deal of him not having any eligibility for the 2018-19 season?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 19, 2017, 08:23:02 pm
I know what they're saying.  My point is Thompson will be badly needed next year which will be his senior year. They're acting like this is his senior year.  Why make a big deal of him not having any eligibility for the 2018-19 season?
Got me... :-\

pigsooie1000

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 19, 2017, 08:23:02 pm

would be better to have a year where he can play 22 MPG instead of 33 minutes total no? we basically traded a year of him at his best for nothing at all

LRHawg

Great thread. We're playing better as a team, but TT really had his breakthrough game yesterday. Another player that really had a great game, probably their best so far is Manny. Slashing to the basket like a boss!

Really excited to see us play our next game. Haven't been able to say that in a while.

Swinesong1

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 19, 2017, 09:38:00 pm
would be better to have a year where he can play 22 MPG instead of 33 minutes total no? we basically traded a year of him at his best for nothing at all
I just find it interesting that Anderson has gone from dumb for playing him to dumb for not redshirting him.  The guy can't win.   Lol!

pigsooie1000

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 19, 2017, 10:52:29 pm
I just find it interesting that Anderson has gone from dumb for playing him to dumb for not redshirting him.  The guy can't win.   Lol!

those are the same thing, not sure how you are confused here?

Swinesong1

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 20, 2017, 01:36:52 am
those are the same thing, not sure how you are confused here?
I'll type slowly for you...there have been cries of "why is Anderson even playing Thompson?" because people here thought he was a nonproductive waste for 2.75 seasons and shouldn't see the floor.  Now it's turned to "Anderson is dumb for not redshirting him" after a couple of games.   

JayBell

I hope this is a sign that Anderson won't be so damn rigid going forward.  I complained for two years that Kingsley and Portis should have played more together and certain posters just told me it could never work.  They told me the same about Thompson and Kingsley and look what happened.

One of my main frustrations with Anderson has been his unwillingness to change his system in the slightest no matter how bad it fails.  If he will start to adapt more from now on, more power to him.  Should be fun.

pigsooie1000

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 20, 2017, 04:40:44 am
I'll type slowly for you...there have been cries of "why is Anderson even playing Thompson?" because people here thought he was a nonproductive waste for 2.75 seasons and shouldn't see the floor.  Now it's turned to "Anderson is dumb for not redshirting him" after a couple of games.   

I don't understand how you don't comprehend this. it would be much better to have a full year from him than 33 wasted minutes

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on February 18, 2017, 09:16:24 pm
Trey should get every one of Thomas's minutes going forward.  No comparison. Never seen so many missed one footers.  Thomas is skeert!!!

I'm with you but at that four spot, Thomas, Bailey, Cook and now Thompson have all shined. 

I know this is going to frustrate you all but, it might not be thompson there next game and it might be for the best.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 19, 2017, 09:38:00 pm

I'd be interested to hear andersons reasoning.  Probably because he think he can get a better player in the future than trey, even in his fifth year, so he doesn't want to prolong the process.

jgphillips3

In today's game, barring injury, you really don't see, or even want to see, 5th year seniors. 

biglewhog77

Darn right.....I think the light finally came on for the big fellow

razorbackfan4life

Proud of the young man. 

BigBen

Looking forward I really hope Trey buys into the offseason workout program. I'd like so see him loose those 10-15 lbs of "baby fat" he still has. If he got shredded and improved his conditioning I could see him being a 2nd team all-SEC player next year and average something like 15 point and 10 boards and 4 assists.

GuvHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 18, 2017, 09:45:17 pm

Let me be clear that I don't agree with those who believe Mike should have redshirted Thompson.  However, the Hogs currently have only one true big man signed for the 2018-19 season and that isn't enough.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

azhog10

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on February 18, 2017, 11:41:10 pm
So who from the '18 class would you like to see not signed so Trey could stay? I don't think he would play much when the '18 class gets here.....Gafford, Perry, Henderson, and possibly Brown will take up a lot of minutes. Those guys are legit.

GuvHog

Quote from: azhog10 on February 21, 2017, 08:05:27 am
So who from the '18 class would you like to see not signed so Trey could stay? I don't think he would play much when the '18 class gets here.....Gafford, Perry, Henderson, and possibly Brown will take up a lot of minutes. Those guys are legit.

How many of those are true big men like Thompson??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!