Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season opener on a Thursday

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, February 15, 2017, 06:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HF#1 on February 16, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Terrible move. Terrible for the fans and anyone watching on TV. Will likely be the worst attended game at WMS in Razorback history.

...next to the November 4th DWRRS shootout against the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

rhames

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 11:48:24 am
Huh? mhsbc59 can't take off either...because he's a coach. Does he have a crappy job, too?

IS the guy's wife to who I was quoting a football coach?

Obviously, high school football coaching aside, most people who want to be there will be there.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

LZH

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:32:26 pm
It is in fact a 7pm central time kickoff. So, even people who work can still go to the game.

For people who can't take a half day off work, they won't be able to tailgate. The people that applies to is largely canceled out by the people who would have had to work weekends and can now go to the game on thursday. Vast majority will be able to take off work if they want to.

For the HS coach, it's a 2.5 hour drive from memphis to LR. You could leave at 4:30 and still make it. School typically ends at 3:30 or so, teachers usually have to stay til 4. That gives you 30 min to account for traffic as well. Traffic is bad leaving LR at rush hour, but going into LR is not as bad on a typical work day. Hog game traffic is going to be worse, but coming from memphis, it'll be slightly less than if you were coming from the north side.

Football teams have walk-thru practices on Thursday man. You do remember this, right?

colbs

Of course no matter what day or time some will not be able to make.  Even if the game was on Saturday there would be some that couldn't make it due to the early kickoff.  For the majority of people though if they truly want to go to the game they can.

LZH

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 01:19:53 pm
IS the guy's wife to who I was quoting a football coach?

I doubt it. But it's still a pretty ** thing to say about someone's wife...especially a fellow Hog fan.

rhames

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 01:33:33 pm
I doubt it. But it's still a pretty ** thing to say about someone's wife...especially a fellow Hog fan.

Hahaha. Chill

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: colbs on February 16, 2017, 01:30:58 pm
Of course no matter what day or time some will not be able to make.  Even if the game was on Saturday there would be some that couldn't make it due to the early kickoff.  For the majority of people though if they truly want to go to the game they can.

People complaining are just doing it to complain.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 01:35:17 pm

People complaining are just doing it to complain.

People complaining about other's complaining, has always been my biggest complaint.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 01:37:12 pm
People complaining about other's complaining, has always been my biggest complaint.

Hahahaha. Paradox

LZH

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 01:34:36 pm

Hahaha. Chill

I am chill. Btw I'll try to notice how chill you are the next time someone calls your wife a dumbass.

rhames

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 01:54:20 pm
I am chill. Btw I'll try to notice how chill you are the next time someone calls your wife a dumbass.

I didn't call anyone that

Also not married so jokes on you :)

LZH

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 01:56:07 pm

I didn't call anyone that

Also not married so jokes on you :)

Yeah man, you did....by suggesting she has a crappy job pretty much infers that she isn't smart enough to get a better one. Coming from a smartass newbie, I wouldn't be surprised. But it seemed quite out of character for you. Whatever.

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 12:47:35 pm
Not really, if you have a game that night, lots of schools play on Thursday night's due to multiple schools using the same stadium, or have your pre-game practice, you don't change up the routine over one person's wants. He can't make it, not the end of the world, but not as simple as you make it to be. I guess he can a quit his job, right?

:)  That's how Benny rolls.  Instead of just saying I was wrong, didn't consider all the issues involved with being a coach.  He doubles down.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 11:48:24 am
Huh? mhsbc59 can't take off either...because he's a coach. Does he have a crappy job, too?

Possibly, what was his record last year and how good is their nutrition department?

rhames

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 01:59:59 pm
Yeah man, you did....by suggesting she has a crappy job pretty much infers that she isn't smart enough to get a better one. Coming from a smartass newbie, I wouldn't be surprised. But it seemed quite out of character for you. Whatever.

Definitely wasn't trying to say that. If it came off that way I do apologize

Also I know plenty of intelligent people with crapy jobs.

Chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

LZH

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 02:03:12 pm

Definitely wasn't trying to say that. If it came off that way I do apologize

Also I know plenty of intelligent people with crapy jobs.

Chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

Sounds good.....Fair enough.

rljjr

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 16, 2017, 09:11:30 am
Assuming that those people have a job they can just take off two days during the week. My wife doesn't have that luxury, so for the first time in 17 years my seats will be empty. Jeff finally found a way to get me to give up my Little Rock seats like my wife wants me to. Maybe that's his plan to help bolster his argument for ending the contract.

As of last night, only about 2 of 46 comments on the official Hog Facebook page were positive. Make of that what you will.

Let me make of that what I will:

You hang out with negative people? Facebook, much like any online experience is inherently negative? People like to whine and complain? People have a vendetta against Jeff Long? Life is hard so people want to throw temper tantrums? A few people, yourself included, have legitimate reasons you can't make the game? The waning moon is making people angry? This is only happening because of Trump? People only have six months to figure out how to plan to attend? Too many bad memories of the near-loss to UNLV?

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 15, 2017, 06:25:53 pm
[tweet]832021508008579072[/tweet]
I like this....a lot. Florida A&M is a weak ass opponent but a Thursday prime time slot? I like it. This will make our brand stick out some. Work on getting a legit opponent and this would be optimal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 07:43:36 pm
Much better TV situation. I love the move.
Want me to pull the thread back up where you claimed something like this was a terrible move?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 16, 2017, 02:31:27 pm
Want me to pull the thread back up where you claimed something like this was a terrible move?

I don't remember that, but be my guest.

I do remember posting recently that I prefer our big OOC game to be the second week of the season instead of the first.  Perhaps that's what you're thinking?  I can't remember ever addressing Thursday games.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 16, 2017, 02:31:27 pm

Do it....do it.....

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2017, 02:32:40 pm
I don't remember that, but be my guest.

I do remember posting recently that I prefer our big OOC game to be the second week of the season instead of the first.  Perhaps that's what you're thinking?  I can't remember ever addressing Thursday games.
Went back and looked. You claimed you preferred the way we currently scheduled. But yes, you were referring to the OOC game being played the 2nd week after 1st week fireworks were done. You did not specifically mention anything negative about a Thursday night game.

What if we played TCU on Thursday night in fville opening week and then played Florida A&M in Little Rock on Saturday the 2nd week? Would you be against that?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 16, 2017, 12:41:16 am
Screws up tailgating.

Mostly for those who don't actually go into the game, which grows every year. Maybe this will reduce tailgating to just a couple of hours and we fill the stadium for a change.

I'm happy because I am going to be out of town Labor Day. Now I can go and still make the weekend trip.

jkstock04

My point has always been that opening week we always play a trash school like Delaware academic A&M at 12pm on a Saturday....while most other SEC teams are in prime time slots playing a legit opponent.

This time around we at least have a prime time slot. Love the move...I give Jeff Long props.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 16, 2017, 02:53:50 pm
Went back and looked. You claimed you preferred the way we currently scheduled. But yes, you were referring to the OOC game being played the 2nd week after 1st week fireworks were done. You did not specifically mention anything negative about a Thursday night game.

What if we played TCU on Thursday night in fville opening week and then played Florida A&M in Little Rock on Saturday the 2nd week? Would you be against that?

Hmm...  I think TCU/Arkansas would be the marquee matchup on opening night, and would be a huge TV draw.  I could also understand the other side of the argument, though. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfnHog

Hmmm, the game is on Thursday night which just happens to be the 1st day of the 2017 football season and oh wait! It's also the start of the Labor Day weekend the next day.

Call me stupid, but this just gave me a reason to add 1 extra day to the weekend. Rather than a 3-4 day weekend the Hogs just gave me a reason to take a full 5 days off. win/win.

Anyone that  can't take the initiative to request the day off, put it on the calendar, or write a memo for the day off 196 days prior to August 31st is just looking for reasons to complain. 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

Quote from: GolfnHog on February 16, 2017, 03:27:54 pm
Hmmm, the game is on Thursday night which just happens to be the 1st day of the 2017 football season and oh wait! It's also the start of the Labor Day weekend the next day.

Call me stupid, but this just gave me a reason to add 1 extra day to the weekend. Rather than a 3-4 day weekend the Hogs just gave me a reason to take a full 5 days off. win/win.

Anyone that  can't take the initiative to request the day off, put it on the calendar, or write a memo for the day off 196 days prior to August 31st is just looking for reasons to complain. 

Look, stupid, that just makes too much sense.

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 03:41:51 pm
Look, stupid, that just makes too much sense.

Sorry Rice, I'll go back on the porch!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hobhog

Quote from: GolfnHog on February 16, 2017, 03:27:54 pm

Word.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 12:47:35 pm
Not really, if you have a game that night, lots of schools play on Thursday night's due to multiple schools using the same stadium, or have your pre-game practice, you don't change up the routine over one person's wants. He can't make it, not the end of the world, but not as simple as you make it to be. I guess he can a quit his job, right?

You are putting words in my mouth that I never said. In all of my posts I mentioned that obviously there are exceptions. If he has to coach an actual game that night, yeah, that would be an exception. However, he said he has a game friday, not thursday, IIRC. If he has a practice, the team could practice until 5pm, he leave immediately after, traffic would be lower by then, get there at say 8 pm, and still get to see two to two and a half hours of the hogs play. It would be stressful and he'd be dog tired when he got home, sure. Many would choose not to do that, go home instead, actually take a shower, eat a nice supper, and still have time before the game, watching comfy on the couch. Depends on whether you are a bigger fan of comfort of seeing the hogs live. Notice I didn't say fan of the hogs in general.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 04:30:18 pm
You are putting words in my mouth that I never said. In all of my posts I mentioned that obviously there are exceptions. If he has to coach an actual game that night, yeah, that would be an exception. However, he said he has a game friday, not thursday, IIRC. If he has a practice, the team could practice until 5pm, he leave immediately after, traffic would be lower by then, get there at say 8 pm, and still get to see two to two and a half hours of the hogs play. It would be stressful and he'd be dog tired when he got home, sure. Many would choose not to do that, go home instead, actually take a shower, eat a nice supper, and still have time before the game, watching comfy on the couch. Depends on whether you are a bigger fan of comfort of seeing the hogs live. Notice I didn't say fan of the hogs in general.

Memphis traffic isn't going to allow for a quick get away at 5pm, lol.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 04:54:36 pm
Memphis traffic isn't going to allow for a quick get away at 5pm, lol.

Maybe he could "take the initiative" to call ahead and request that everyone clear his path out of town.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 05:22:17 pm
Maybe he could "take the initiative" to call ahead and request that everyone clear his path out of town.

Nah, just have a helicopter pick him up after practice and set him down at WMS, problem solved.

shown006

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 15, 2017, 07:28:24 pm
I'm in Fayetteville. I would be there on Saturday.  Now I'll be there on Thursday.  The Thursday night games are a great showcase the program. Although I'm on the record as saying that all games should be on campus, I don't think this is a slight to WMS or Little Rock.  It's a special event on opening weekend.  Night games in LR are special.

Props to you.  I'll be there as well.  Will take the entire day off and turn the Thursday into a Saturday.  I've spoken with numerous fans that have season tickets to Fayetteville games, and the majority actually want a game to stay in LR because it will generally be a smaller non-conference game, and they don't want their seat license fee to go up, as well as pay another $200-300 for tickets for this type of game.  Now, the fans that don't buy season tickets, I can see where they'd want the games up in Fayetteville.
WPS!

ThisTeetsTaken

Why don't folks complaining about work and traveling to the game just plan ahead and take Thursday and Friday off???  Put your requests in now and have a sweet 5 day Memorial Day weekend!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

TheRazorback500

I'm cool with Thursday. Actually, my job is closer to LR than home, so I'll just knock off a couple hours early and head on up there.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HamSammich

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 16, 2017, 07:04:10 pm
Why don't folks complaining about work and traveling to the game just plan ahead and take Thursday and Friday off???  Put your requests in now and have a sweet 5 day Memorial Day weekend!

Because they want to complain. I'm a Little Rock first sort Of guy. Screw nwa.... even I like this. I'll be flying in on Wednesday.

GolfnHog

DLUXHOG

So...... would a Wednesday opening game be better?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 16, 2017, 08:12:47 pm
So...... would a Wednesday opening game be better?

Will we be favored?

holeinthewall

QuoteWe will draw attention for simply being the only SEC team playing that day.

People are not going to watch this because we are an SEC team.  A middle of the pack SEC team next year at best.   People tune in to watch good match ups and competitive games. This game will be 21-0 after the first. Why would anyone waste money on this game to attend it when you can see it on TV?

factchecker

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 17, 2017, 07:12:55 am
People are not going to watch this because we are an SEC team.  A middle of the pack SEC team next year at best.   People tune in to watch good match ups and competitive games. This game will be 21-0 after the first.

Same reason why I'll be watching the TCU vs. Jackson State that weekend.  Scouting.  Teams like to watch teams they play.  Pretty simple.

I don't think it's going to be a highly rated game but it won't be the worst.  The Thursday night slot will be give us a higher rating than it would have at noon on Saturday.

This game will be 21-0 after the first. Why would anyone waste money on this game to attend it when you can see it on TV?

We have pretty good fans.  We sold out vs. Texas State last season. We don't have to resort to selling tickets for $1 at local gas stations like other schools in state.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

southeasthog

Why would anyone waste money on this game to attend it when you can see it on TV?
What a brand new concept. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before now!!!!

factchecker

Quote from: southeasthog on February 17, 2017, 07:35:45 am
What a brand new concept. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before now!!!!

He's a red-pup fan.  He doesn't know what good attendance and packed HOME stadiums looks like.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

mhsbc59

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 05:26:32 pm
Nah, just have a helicopter pick him up after practice and set him down at WMS, problem solved.

IM going to say this would be the only way i could get to the game and actually catch any of it.  Memphis and Little Rock arnt that far apart but to any one that think s you can get though memphis traffic and Little Rock game day traffic and parked and into the game in 2.5 3 hours you are NUTS!!!!
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011