Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whomever had Partridge to Pitt was correct

Started by ricepig, February 14, 2017, 12:01:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHawg

Until there is proof he passed on Partridge, you guys blaming him for not bringing him back are talking out your behinds.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 09:11:30 am
The answer is that you don't have a clue how they will recruit, what recruiting they've done, or why they were hired.

Exactly.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

#1Fan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 09:11:30 am
The answer is that you don't have a clue how they will recruit, what recruiting they've done, or why they were hired. But you can certainly make things up if it makes you feel better.
That's exactly my point.  We don't know.  Why not hire someone who's proven?

ricepig

Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 09:54:50 am

Ok, whom?

PorkRinds

Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 09:54:50 am

Suggestions? Becuase let's be honest, he tried to get Montgomery, who incidentally is in the same position our DL coach was in. Who else was coming here? What proven guys did we have as options and turned down?

#1Fan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 10:50:38 am
Suggestions? Becuase let's be honest, he tried to get Montgomery, who incidentally is in the same position our DL coach was in. Who else was coming here? What proven guys did we have as options and turned down?
That's what he gets paid $4 million to figure out.  If he thinks this was the best he could do and he works out, great.  If not, no problem for him because, like I said, the $15 million buyout.

PorkRinds

Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 11:15:18 am
That's what he gets paid $4 million to figure out.  If he thinks this was the best he could do and he works out, great.  If not, no problem for him because, like I said, the $15 million buyout.

He obviously thinks these are the best guys he can get for what he needs.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 11:16:43 am
He obviously thinks these are the best guys he can get for what he needs.

Truth.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

A sign of a quality assistant is being pursued by better programs or getting better career opportunities.  Remember that was a big knock against Nutt's staffs.  Weak assistants that no one else wanted.

Pittman - Pursued by Bama, currently at UGA
Enos - A lot of national talking heads thought that Bama should come after him.  Thankfully he has a non-compete
Shannon - Currently DC at UF
Ash - Left for Co-DC position at Ohio State.  Currently HC at Rutgers
Partridge - Got FBS HC job
Taver Johnson - "Left" to be Purdue DB coach.  Currently DC at Temple
Segrest - Couldn't give him away
Clay Jennings - Left to be DB coach at UT
Rhoads - Promoted to DC
Hargreaves - Haven't heard about anyone wanting him
Michael Smith - Rumor was that he was pursued by LSU last year.

Thomas, Singleton - Good coaches, poor recruiters - so the NFL is perfect for them.

Did I miss anyone?  I'm just going off the top of my head and someone could have slipped my mind.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 11:28:58 am
A sign of a quality assistant is being pursued by better programs or getting better career opportunities.  Remember that was a big knock against Nutt's staffs.  Weak assistants that no one else wanted.

Pittman - Pursued by Bama, currently at UGA
Enos - A lot of national talking heads thought that Bama should come after him.  Thankfully he has a non-compete
Shannon - Currently DC at UF
Ash - Left for Co-DC position at Ohio State.  Currently HC at Rutgers
Partridge - Got FBS HC job
Taver Johnson - "Left" to be Purdue DB coach.  Currently DC at Temple
Segrest - Couldn't give him away
Clay Jennings - Left to be DB coach at UT
Rhoads - Promoted to DC
Hargreaves - Haven't heard about anyone wanting him
Michael Smith - Rumor was that he was pursued by LSU last year.

Thomas, Singleton - Good coaches, poor recruiters - so the NFL is perfect for them.

Did I miss anyone?  I'm just going off the top of my head and someone could have slipped my mind.

These two are obviously "up and comers", no doubt about it. But if you look at their resumès you'll see what you're discussing. They've both climbed the ladder repeatedly getting better jobs.  In this scenario it's obvious CBB valued their 3-4 expertise over their recruiting reputations and experience.  But you can't deny these are two guys that have been consistently climbing the ladder.

bennyl08

Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 08:21:09 am
But why don't we just hire great recruiters instead of hoping that coaches who have never recruited turn out to be great recruiters?  I guess the answer is that with a $15 million buyout you can do whatever you want to.

Name one school that only goes out and hires great recruiters.

Does Bama do that? No. Ohio State? No. You can probably name 1, maybe two recruiters for Auburn, most of their staff aren't great recruiters either. Same for Tennessee, LSU, USC, Okla, and on and on.

Why don't we JUST hire great recruiters? When you can tell me why there isn't a school in the whole country that just hires great recruiters, you will then understand why we do not as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

NB4 Wildhog and his link to Saban saying he always looks to hire great recruiters.....

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 11:33:40 am
These two are obviously "up and comers", no doubt about it. But if you look at their resumès you'll see what you're discussing. They've both climbed the ladder repeatedly getting better jobs.  In this scenario it's obvious CBB valued their 3-4 expertise over their recruiting reputations and experience.  But you can't deny these are two guys that have been consistently climbing the ladder.

I disagree, actually.  It's not like these are young guys.  Walker is going into his 17th year in coaching, and Scott is going into his 16th.  They've mainly bounced around as assistant position coaches or higher positions in low-classification football.  That's 33 years of combined coaching experience, and the only time spent as the head of a position group in major college football (or NFL) was Scott's two years at Texas Tech (where he was forced to resign.)

If you want to talk about guys that are actually "climbing the ladder," look no further than Aaron Henry.  That guy is moving up FAST.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2017, 11:39:49 am
NB4 Wildhog and his link to Saban saying he always looks to hire great recruiters.....

Ah, the kryptonite.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 11:40:43 am
I disagree, actually.  It's not like these are young guys.  Walker is going into his 17th year in coaching, and Scott is going into his 16th.  They've mainly bounced around as assistant position coaches or higher positions in low-classification football.  That's 33 years of combined coaching experience, and the only time spent as the head of a position group in major college football (or NFL) was Scott's two years at Texas Tech (where he was forced to resign.)

If you want to talk about guys that are actually "climbing the ladder," look no further than Aaron Henry.  That guy is moving up FAST.

Is Henry the exception or the norm?

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2017, 11:42:44 am
Is Henry the exception or the norm?

I don't know, but he's a guy we could get.  I'm hoping he's the tenth coach in January.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sooie71923

The ol "great recruiter" myth.   

The reason you don't hire "great recruiters" is bc they may be a great recruiter bc of the school they're at recruits itself. If they're good at one place doesn't mean they'll be at another.

Randy Shannon. Great recruiter. At Arkansas, not a great recruiter.

That's why you hire solid coaches because if you're a good coach it doesn't matter where you coach.