Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is missing from Razorback athletics?

Started by lutherheggs, February 10, 2017, 10:31:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2017, 01:35:04 pm
Wanes.

Where are these free drinks?   >:(

Dang! Mention free drinks and look who pops their head up.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PonderinHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 01:40:30 pm
Dang! Mention free drinks and look who pops their head up.  ;D
Nothing drives me to drink faster than poor grammer.   >:(

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2017, 01:42:04 pm
Nothing drives me to drink faster than poor grammer.   >:(

Then I need to apologize for turning you into an alcoholic with my poor grammar.   ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2017, 01:38:23 pm
Ricepig is lying again...

I'm guessing you didn't sign up for the "big donor" account on HV?

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 01:49:25 pm
I'm guessing you didn't sign up for the "big donor" account on HV?

Hogville should take up donations and buy a suite.  Imagine the party that would be.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on February 10, 2017, 01:51:02 pm
Hogville should take up donations and buy a suite.  Imagine the party that would be.

I'm reminded of the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode where they find Brian Lafavre's wallet.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 12:22:43 pm
Someone said above ... 'winning.'   That's right.  No question.  But there's another element.  For a long time, for decades, the Hogs were a top football program and a truly elite basketball program.   How many schools have top programs in both sports?  Not many.  We did for a long time .. then all of a sudden, football went off a cliff, then basketball.  Then, finally, we got the Houston Nutt albatross off our neck and looked like we'd be great again... then BAM.  Right over another cliff. 

To me, its unbelievable that people act as if they don't understand the 'negativity.'  Really, its quite understandable.   Throw on top of that that our basketball program was on par with Kentucky and N. Carolina .. then we mistreated our HOF coach, which clearly offended the basketball gods who have been punishing us since.   What if N. Carolina's coach quit tomorrow and sued them for racial discrimination - and their program sucked forever more?  You think their fans might be a little pissed?

EVERY Hog fan has earned a great deal of negativity.  Its really surprising that we are as optimistic as we are.
The reality of the situation is that the football program has been overall bad for 5 years straight. Pretty much anything deemed positive is supposed future events of what's to come a.k.a. our annual battle cry "wait til next year."

I haven't seen anything from this regime yet to give me this "future confidence" we will ever win more than 8 games.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Al Boarland

February 10, 2017, 01:58:24 pm #107 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:34:09 pm by Al Boarland
I know I'm not hopeless. Whenever we get a new hire I think there is a chance they can take the program to the next level. However, if they don't upgrade the talent signicanlty I know it will not happen. I'm not talking about the stars aligning further elevating expectations. You will know because the recruiting classes will go from the 20's, to top 15, to top 10. Until that happens consistently  this program will not move forward. At this point we can put to bed the diamond in the rough, development strategy. It's obvious that's not going to work. We bring knives to a gun fight.

You are already seeing the posts about this class having underrated players. That's BS. CBB and Co. aren't seeing anything any other coach isn't seeing. The guys we bring in have a chance every Saturday. We've seen it. Still, you can't EXPECT to win games with MS St talent unless it's just being a homer. That's where the program is. That's not to say expectations aren't good for the program. They are. They're just not realistic.

lutherheggs

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 01:20:45 pm
Cool, you're just here for the free drinks, I assume?
Pretty much. I obviously enjoy the discussion, the debate, the arguing, the silliness, and the reminiscing. But to say that my life is wrapped up in it, well, I am not a ticket holder, do not attend any games and I only watch a few football games on TV each season and I have not watched more than 3 or 4 basketball games on TV in 15 years.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 01:37:27 pm
Who's got free drinks?

I do.  Well, the yeast, corn and copper line aren't free, but close enough..

KennyForAD

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 12:44:17 pm
Something tells me that the $88 charged for the student athletic pass isn't keeping students from attending the games.

Have they put the students court-side yet in BWA?   When they do, it will be a sign the the PTB are actually interested in winning again, instead of just how much revenue they can generate.  That and ... Slobber Hog.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
Well, the yeast, corn and copper line aren't free, but close enough..

...just down Copperhead Road a ways.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

What a thread.  Wanted to quit reading it but didn't have anything better to do.  Trying to explain Arkansas Football and Basketball comes down to appearance.  In the olden days in both BB and FB, if we lost, quite often when relating the story of the game, you were smiling because you knew we played our best, that our players were well coached, mentally and physically conditioned and you knew, as both teams knew, the winner was damn lucky to get the W.  In those days, Arkansas would not have been a team any team would chose to go play. 

After losses today, you realize not only were we not prepared, the people who could change that are perfectly OK with what just happened.  They even tweet their satisfaction. 

Though we as individuals, may not know enough about any sport to go be a great coach, we often have operated businesses and have learned from the bottom line up what it means to not have good people in critical places on the business team.  We learned that when the leader fails, all under that leader usually fails too. 

For 25+ years in football and 20+ years in basketball, the Arkansas program hasn't had the proper mix of administration and coaches (leaders) to go forth and field the best teams we are capable of producing.  As I have often said, for us to win a football conference championship, we need others to fail as it is impossible for us to improve enough to get there by ourselves.  2016 in the SEC was a rare year in that there was an opening for second place in conference but we were no where close to take advantage.                             

Remember I said appearance.  We do not appear to be good enough nor do we care enough to be as good as we can be.  In the old days, we appeared to be good even in losses.  Recently, we appear to damn lucky to have not gotten beat worse than we did. These last 3 sentences define us and it is what drives many on here to post as they do.

ricepig

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 03:29:49 pm
Have they put the students court-side yet in BWA?   When they do, it will be a sign the the PTB are actually interested in winning again, instead of just how much revenue they can generate.  That and ... Slobber Hog.

Hmm, I believe in 76 in Barnhill, our seats were behind the north goal?? I know in 77-80, we had seats on the west side, from mid-court to the end line?? I've slept since then, so I could be wrong, lol. The students are still courtside, to a degree, maybe not proportionally as they were at Barnhill.

Hogs33

Quote from: 12247 on February 10, 2017, 04:19:22 pm
What a thread.  Wanted to quit reading it but didn't have anything better to do.  Trying to explain Arkansas Football and Basketball comes down to appearance.  In the olden days in both BB and FB, if we lost, quite often when relating the story of the game, you were smiling because you knew we played our best, that our players were well coached, mentally and physically conditioned and you knew, as both teams knew, the winner was damn lucky to get the W.  In those days, Arkansas would not have been a team any team would chose to go play. 

After losses today, you realize not only were we not prepared, the people who could change that are perfectly OK with what just happened.  They even tweet their satisfaction. 

Though we as individuals, may not know enough about any sport to go be a great coach, we often have operated businesses and have learned from the bottom line up what it means to not have good people in critical places on the business team.  We learned that when the leader fails, all under that leader usually fails too. 

For 25+ years in football and 20+ years in basketball, the Arkansas program hasn't had the proper mix of administration and coaches (leaders) to go forth and field the best teams we are capable of producing.  As I have often said, for us to win a football conference championship, we need others to fail as it is impossible for us to improve enough to get there by ourselves.  2016 in the SEC was a rare year in that there was an opening for second place in conference but we were no where close to take advantage.                             

Remember I said appearance.  We do not appear to be good enough nor do we care enough to be as good as we can be.  In the old days, we appeared to be good even in losses.  Recently, we appear to damn lucky to have not gotten beat worse than we did. These last 3 sentences define us and it is what drives many on here to post as they do.

Someone once told me "I am tired of losing and doing just enough not to lose. I want to WIN!"
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

DLUXHOG

What's missing?   We don't cheat like crazy as many, if not all of the big boys do.....   I know this as fact....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

LZH

Quote from: 12247 on February 10, 2017, 04:19:22 pm2016 in the SEC was a rare year in that there was an opening for second place in conference but we were no where close to take advantage.                             

QFT. Last season was the year to make a move. But you have experts on here that knew we would have a problematic offensive line. What, in year four? By a coach that is supposedly known for his linemen? And how about the guys that love to spit out "well I predicted only seven wins this year anyway"? Seriously? Are they experts...are we supposed to believe that makes it okay? Is that supposed to validate a season in which we underachieved and showed little fight?

I won't even bother with the basketball team right now.

I am beginning to have serious doubts about Jeff Long. Maybe they are unfounded as of yet, but if he doesn't take steps to correct at least one of these problems in a month or so I will certainly rethink my opinion of him.

What gives me a grin is that I know damn well if JL had fired Bielema and announced this week that Mike Anderson would be fired at the end of the season, the same experts that constantly make excuses for both would be applauding JL's commitment to winning.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 04:43:55 pm
QFT. Last season was the year to make a move. But you have experts on here that knew we would have a problematic offensive line. What, in year four? By a coach that is supposedly known for his linemen? And how about the guys that love to spit out "well I predicted only seven wins this year anyway"? Seriously? Are they experts...are we supposed to believe that makes it okay? Is that supposed to validate a season in which we underachieved and showed little fight?

I am beginning to have serious doubts about Jeff Long. Maybe they are unfounded as of yet, but if he doesn't take steps to correct at least one of these problems in a month or so I will certainly rethink my opinion of him.

What gives me a grin is that I know damn well if JL had fired Bielema and announced this week that Mike Anderson would be fired at the end of the season, the same experts that constantly make excuses for both would be applauding JL's commitment to winning.

It's hard to believe that we're not AD's at some SEC school with the vast knowledge we pontificate on message boards.

hawgtime

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 04:52:01 pm
It's hard to believe that we're not AD's at some SEC school with the vast knowledge we pontificate on message boards.

How do you know some of us are not???
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 04:57:25 pm
How do you know some of us are not???

Intuition, and common sense indicates otherwise.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 04:59:49 pm
Intuition, and common sense indicates otherwise.

On the contrary, what better way to keep up with what is really going on with your rivals?

(Brittany, get Coach Orgeron on line one for me.  I need to discuss this boycott thing with him.)

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 05:02:56 pm
On the contrary, what better way to keep up with what is really going on with your rivals?

(Brittany, get Coach Orgeron on line one for me.  I need to discuss this boycott thing with him.)

I don't think Joe has enough sense to log on, corndog, you know......

hoghearted

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 11:39:41 am
That's what the wife/woman is for, that and to make you a sammich while she's in the kitchen.

Careful what you ask for. That potted meat sandwich you asked your woman for may be Alpo instead. ;)
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 04:52:01 pm

I know, right?

Long is a great fundraiser and bean counter, but I am beginning to question his commitment to actually winning. And I don't mean 'winning' as defined by being above .500.

Hog N Bama

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoghearted on February 10, 2017, 05:07:34 pm
Careful what you ask for. That potted meat sandwich you asked your woman for may be Alpo instead. ;)

No, that would be for HamSammich's sheepdog.

ricepig

Quote from: hoghearted on February 10, 2017, 05:07:34 pm

I didn't ask for a potted meat sandwich, for my money, Alpo would probably be better! Now where's my cold beer!

lutherheggs

Top notch comment and I agree with all of it.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 05:09:08 pm
I know, right?

Long is a great fundraiser and bean counter, but I am beginning to question his commitment to actually winning. And I don't mean 'winning' as defined by being above .500.

Oh, I think he wants to win, I just think his time table isn't the same as most fans. I think MA will be back next year, but he'll have to make some staff changes. Of course, Bret has a minimum of two more years, but .500 ball won't get him the last two. I've said it numerous times on here, I think Bret will need to win 16 regular season games the next two seasons, to stay.

woodrow hog call

I don't understand why some keep spreading this LIE/UNTRUTH. Show me where CBB or JL have said they "are perfectly ok with what just happened".

They both know that if this year is the best that CBB can ever achieve here, he will have to move on. If CBB wants his little girl to start school in Fayetteville, he has to have more success in the future than he did this year, he is fully aware of that fact and so is JL, but the vast majority of logical observers can very easily see that things are heading in the proper direction.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 05:09:08 pm
I know, right?

Led, it is hard for Long to worry about winning when his company made $30 mil last year. The student-athletes are graduating as well which keeps the academic higher ups happy.

In his position, why rock the boat until he has to?

ChitownHawg

You mean in the olden days when we complained about Hatfield's use of scripture ignoring his winning record? Or his bowl record ignoring his winning season record?

Or were you referring to Holtz who we didn't like because he refused to recruit?

Just trying to determine which olden period we were all fat and happy with just winning?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 05:16:34 pm
Oh, I think he wants to win, I just think his time table isn't the same as most fans. I think MA will be back next year, but he'll have to make some staff changes. Of course, Bret has a minimum of two more years, but .500 ball won't get him the last two. I've said it numerous times on here, I think Bret will need to win 16 regular season games the next two seasons, to stay.

Yeah I am just afraid his definition of winning and a lot of our definitions of winning are different. BB should get another year. Not necessarily because he's earned it, but because every football coach needs five years to have a real go. MA needs to be released at the end of this season.

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 05:17:58 pm
Led, it is hard for Long to worry about winning when his company made $30 mil last year. The student-athletes are graduating as well which keeps the academic higher ups happy.

In his position, why rock the boat until he has to?

Me? For $30M I would not only NOT rock the boat, I would have it anchored diametrically in the middle of Clearwater Harbor out here with a fishing pole in one hand and an umbrella drink in the other.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 10, 2017, 05:17:26 pm

I don't understand why some keep spreading this LIE/UNTRUTH. Show me where CBB or JL have said they "are perfectly ok with what just happened".

They both know that if this year is the best that CBB can ever achieve here, he will have to move on. If CBB wants his little girl to start school in Fayetteville, he has to have more success in the future than he did this year, he is fully aware of that fact and so is JL, but the vast majority of logical observers can very easily see that things are heading in the proper direction.

You are correct, and that guy is once again off his meds.
[CENSORED]!

Al Boarland

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 04:43:55 pm

The only thing about this posts is we didn't underachieve. We finished about where our talent positions us to finish. IMO, CBB isn't a plus win coach. Meaning more times than not don't expect an upset. He's had a few. I'll give him that. I just don't expect it to happen.

jkstock04

Not "perfectly ok" but for sure goes along with the theme of winning is secondary. From Jeff Long:

@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

This is essentially the new culture of the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

lutherheggs

Wood, of course they do not say it out loud. Do you think they are self-abusing morons? But they will not change anything to make much of a difference as long as no one fusses or bothers them. They are fine with what they have done and will continue to talk a big game until they realize the bar is raised and they have to jump over it or lose their jobs. It is not a complex situation or issue.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 06:12:44 pm
Not "perfectly ok" but for sure goes along with the theme of winning is secondary. From Jeff Long:

@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

This is essentially the new culture of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

So it surprises you an institution of higher education places education first?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 06:18:00 pm
Wood, of course they do not say it out loud. Do you think they are self-abusing morons? But they will not change anything to make much of a difference as long as no one fusses or bothers them. They are fine with what they have done and will continue to talk a big game until they realize the bar is raised and they have to jump over it or lose their jobs. It is not a complex situation or issue.

To know this would require inside information. Do you have inside information? Otherwise you need to say you are speculating.

Biggus Piggus

Just your fantasy. It's idiotic. Drop it. Not going to tolerate liars.
[CENSORED]!

woodrow hog call

CBB sent two coaches down the road because the results on the field were not what he and his boss deemed acceptable.

Do people not understand that? If he and JL were as happy and content as some say they are, there would not be changes in the staff. It's not an easy thing to fire someone because they don't fit into your plans going forward.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hoghearted

:P
Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 05:10:55 pm
I didn't ask for a potted meat sandwich, for my money, Alpo would probably be better! Now where's my cold beer!

Right next to mine, sweetie, in the 'fridge. Bring one back for me, will you?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

UA1985

1. We entered the SEC in 1992.
2. Basketball team flourished early on (highly publicized battles with Kentucky, NC in 1994); football languished (we got to the SEC championship game in 1995 but that was viewed as a fluke due to an unusually weak SEC-West; we got crushed by FL in the championship game and finished 8-5).
3. Frank Broyles wasn't happy with an elite BB team and a mediocre FB team, so he went cheap when it came time to replace Nolan Richardson and systematically diverted resources towards the FB program under the mistaken notion that with better facilities our FB program could be elite in the SEC.
4. Result: mediocre BB and FB programs.

greasy_corner

Quote from: factchecker on February 10, 2017, 01:51:02 pm

I don't think Sam, or Woody, or Carla, or Dianne, or Rebecca would want to hang with some of us. 

Maybe Lilith. 

jkstock04

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 06:24:31 pm
So it surprises you an institution of higher education places education first?
If we consider the $$$ implications surrounding college football as a whole...at the time of realization (couple years ago) it did surprise me. We are talking about a multi-billion dollar, cut throat industry.

Here's a good question...what other schools in our division do you think place education first in front of their football program?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 10:01:34 pm
If we consider the $$$ implications surrounding college football as a whole...at the time of realization (couple years ago) it did surprise me. We are talking about a multi-billion dollar, cut throat industry.

Here's a good question...what other schools in our division do you think place education first in front of their football program?

Hard to tell, obviously our recruiting is the same level, or close to it, for the past 10-15 years, so maybe we have the same talent level that we are holding them accountable for their grades. I guess making them go to class before practice is a bad thing?

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 10:09:21 pm
Hard to tell, obviously our recruiting is the same level, or close to it, for the past 10-15 years, so maybe we have the same talent level that we are holding them accountable for their grades. I guess making them go to class before practice is a bad thing?
Not at all. If they don't make grades they don't play. Also, if they can't stay out of trouble with the law they don't play. Common sense stuff there.

I'm more so referencing what the center point, end all be all of importance for our athletic program is vs. what it is for other teams in our division.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hog Solo

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 10:17:42 pm
Not at all. If they don't make grades they don't play. Also, if they can't stay out of trouble with the law they don't play. Common sense stuff there.

I'm more so referencing what the center point, end all be all of importance for our athletic program is vs. what it is for other teams in our division.

Or maybe our student athletes are doing the best they can with their abilities but our slovenly coach mentally lets them off the hook.  Accountability for students and athletes is a fragile line,  we can't expect that athlete to be accountable 24/7 in college when our coach betrays his key values for his players.

Porcine Coprolite

What is missing from Razorback athletics?

Rationality.

For the last 25 years, the fans have been going through more mood swings than Madonna.  That has been caused by a disconnect between our expectations and the reality of our situation.

This is the football forum, so let's talk football.  Our recruiting history in the SEC is pretty consistent.  We are normally in the bottom half of the conference and the bottom half of the division.  I'm not talking about just Bielema.  The same was true for Nutt and Petrino.  The difference in recruiting is evident on the field.  An extraordinary coach might overcome the gap in player ability to win an SEC championship, but I doubt it.  I'm not bad mouthing our players.  As a group, they do their best.  We just can't recruit the same level of players as the top half of the SEC.  Twenty-five years has proven that to be the case.

All that SEC money is like a drug addiction.  We keep getting whipped, but we can't let go of the money. 

As long as we are in the SEC, we will experience what we've experienced for the last 25 years.  We either need to accept that or get out of the SEC.