Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiring while on hotseat...

Started by twistitup, February 09, 2017, 05:08:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

February 09, 2017, 05:08:23 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:43:00 pm by twistitup
CBB is hoping for a big season, the fanbase is growing a bit impatient...some would argue this is a 'make or break' year coming up.

It might be tough to find good assistants under the current circumstances....im pulling for the new DC/DL coaches but they feel like a reach...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Seebs

Unless the AD assures the hire that he is good for at least two years.  Which CBB is.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HamSammich

Quote from: Seebs on February 09, 2017, 05:10:19 pm
Unless the AD assures the hire that he is good for at least two years.  Which CBB is.

I think you guys are both right. I think CBB is good for two years and I think hiring assistants when you may only have two years left is tougher.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 09, 2017, 05:12:23 pm
I think you guys are both right. I think CBB is good for two years and I think hiring assistants when you may only have two years left is tougher.

His contract is thru 2020, so 4 more years.

Seebs

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 05:13:41 pm
His contract is thru 2020, so 4 more years.

The buyout gets more manageable each year though correct? Think we are down to 11MM next year
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on February 09, 2017, 05:19:10 pm
The buyout gets more manageable each year though correct? Think we are down to 11MM next year

11.7M on Jan. 1st, 2018, 7.9M on Jan. 1st, 2019.

King Kong

Paul Rhoads is far from a reach.

Scott Jr on the other hand...

Hogs-n-Roses

The hotseat should be Jeff Long, not the others and contracts are just pieces of paper.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: King Kong on February 09, 2017, 05:21:54 pm
Paul Rhoads is far from a reach.

Scott Jr on the other hand...

I agree on Rhoads, as for Scott no one knows what he will produce. I do feel confident that he will do whatever Rhoads wants him to teach, just as Segrest did for Smith.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 05:22:04 pm
The hotseat should be Jeff Long, not the others and contracts are just pieces of paper.

As long as Jeff Long continues to manage the athletic program as a business and continues to bring in increasing revenues, I doubt he is going anywhere unless it is by his choice. Some of you folks forget how much more he has added to the total athletic program in terms of money and better facilities, which is certainly part of his job as a business manager. Until the guys who donate the big money decide that he isn't managing the program (and coaches) to the number of wins that they feel are acceptable, nothing is going to change, IMO. And keep in mind, they might worry that they can find a guy who can hire more productive coaches (in terms of overall wins) but not be as good at managing the financial aspect of the athletic program that funds and builds for more sports than just football, though football is King.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

I love these guys get on Hogville and proclaim they are mad! CBB is on the hot seat and this is a do or die year for him.

I bet not a single one of them has the influence to push the decision one way or the other. Anyone want to take me up in that bet?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Sooie71923

Y'all are really fooling yourselves if you think CBB is on a short leash. I know it's something to "gossip" about but he will not be fired anytime soon especially for the foreseeable future.  Y'all think it's hard hiring assistants when a coach is perceived to be here short term? Well y'all are in for a treat for when or if yalls fantasy comes true and CBB is fired.

Don't know quality coaches will be crawling to Fayetteville after knowing how CBB was treated. Dealing with a fan base who is falsely entitled with unrealistic expectations.

Arkansas is not the job so many of you believe that it is. it was difficult enough having to find a replacement for CBP.

Think about it, Arkansas is a coaching graveyard. Can anyone else think of a school where the last 2 decades of coaches have been FIRED in both the 2 main sports?

How about some stability? That's a pretty foreign idea at Arkansas. 

Florida State wasn't built overnight and they're in a 100x better situation than Arkansas. 

Life is short, support the team.

mutt

if he is on hot seat for going to bowl games all but first year. then mike Anderson should be toast

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 09, 2017, 05:55:55 pm
As long as Jeff Long continues to manage the athletic program as a business and continues to bring in increasing revenues, I doubt he is going anywhere unless it is by his choice. Some of you folks forget how much more he has added to the total athletic program in terms of money and better facilities, which is certainly part of his job as a business manager. Until the guys who donate the big money decide that he isn't managing the program (and coaches) to the number of wins that they feel are acceptable, nothing is going to change, IMO. And keep in mind, they might worry that they can find a guy who can hire more productive coaches (in terms of overall wins) but not be as good at managing the financial aspect of the athletic program that funds and builds for more sports than just football, though football is King.
29-43 in the SEC . He shud resign today. My Grandmother cud get the revenue's up there.  The SEC gave us 40.4 Mil recently. He should be arrested for the buyouts he extended alone.

ricepig

Maybe your grandmother "cud" get us some more, she doing anything?

hogcard1964

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 06:52:34 pm
Maybe your grandmother "cud" get us some more, she doing anything?
Look we get that you "have to" support or back this AD. Your propaganda sctiick is humorous. I don't know a soul who sits in the stands and looks down at the game and says" Wow that number 86 has a 3.4 GPA and " 33 has made the honor roll for the 3 rd time." We're not really that concerned with the money thing like you seem to think. I feel like the U of A brand has always been a moneymaker. There's a lot of disgruntled folks out here and your argument is weak. Are you OK with 29-43 as an SEC total. Its a yes or no Question. We all know your spin technique.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 07:25:32 pm
Look we get that you "have to" support or back this AD. Your propaganda sctiick is humorous.

What is a sctiik?

I agree that GPA and graduation rates are not as important as wins and losses.  Nobody is going to argue that.

I do think it's funny that the poster who is pissed off about our academic success "duzn't spell very gud."

I guess it's all "dem educated participashun trophee loosers."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 07:25:32 pm
Look we get that you "have to" support or back this AD. Your propaganda sctiick is humorous. I don't know a soul who sits in the stands and looks down at the game and says" Wow that number 86 has a 3.4 GPA and " 33 has made the honor roll for the 3 rd time." We're not really that concerned with the money thing like you seem to think. I feel like the U of A brand has always been a moneymaker. There's a lot of disgruntled folks out here and your argument is weak. Are you OK with 29-43 as an SEC total. Its a yes or no Question. We all know your spin technique.

I don't have to support anyone, I choose to. I want to win games as much as the next guy, I'm just not going to belittle the academic achievements of our athletes. As far as money is concerned, it's what makes the world go around, or in this case, the athletic department run. I'm not OK with our SEC record, but then again, I don't think firing a head coach every 4 years is the answer either. I also know that what you or I thinks doesn't matter.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 07:32:07 pm
I don't have to support anyone, I choose to. I want to win games as much as the next guy, I'm just not going to belittle the academic achievements of our athletes. As far as money is concerned, it's what makes the world go around, or in this case, the athletic department run. I'm not OK with our SEC record, but then again, I don't think firing a head coach every 4 years is the answer either. I also know that what you or I thinks doesn't matter.
Still won't address the 29-43. And I'm goofin on de grammar poliza.I love that part of retaliation. Don't really have answers so attack spelling. Nice.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 07:37:08 pm
Still won't address the 29-43. And I'm goofin on de grammar poliza.I love that part of retaliation. Don't really have answers so attack spelling. Nice.

I said "I'm not ok with our SEC record". I guess we can add reading comprehension to the list of things you're not adept at.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: factchecker on February 09, 2017, 07:26:58 pm
What is a sctiik?

I agree that GPA and graduation rates are not as important as wins and losses.  Nobody is going to argue that.

I do think it's funny that the poster who is pissed off about our academic success "duzn't spell very gud."

I thought you were argueing that the grades and money thing were as or more important than winning or atleast winning more. And I promise to work real hard on my spelling.

Hogs-n-Roses

Let me phrase this another way. In mine and friends circles. The coffee shop, the barbershop, Church,Wal Mart, each others living rooms watching sports or movies. We converse about the football team, or product on the field.Now even the baxetball(couldn't resist), and how they are competing, who the competition is, our weaknesses,strengths,outcomes, hopes for the future....Most of the time its heartbreaking. Very little talk about grades or money. I do want us to make acceptable grades though. And I really don't want to be told how well we are doing in that area when we are down 24 points to a 9-11 Vanderbilt team.

bythelake

Dam glad I'm not in your circle, must suck to be so secluded from reality and overall aspects of of an sec football program.   

Anyone even half way listening to our AD when it concerns BB or Mike Anderson should know that neither is on the hotseat.  Mr. Long appears happy with both.  It would also appear, not sure, that the folks higher up that can make decisions are still happy with the AD or scared not to be since he is seen in the industry as a man of Integrity and good judgement.  As AD, he gets credit for running a tight ship though I disagree.  But I am not in the know.  He did not do well with the contract of BB, I do know that.  Boils down to we are stuck with BB good or bad and BB can decide that position without penalty.  If and when the man decides to bust his ass and get the job done to a higher level, it will happen.  He showed up here full of darn and not too bright on what it takes in the SEC.  Pulling his pud won't work into wins here.  Maybe he will put his knowledge to work and improve this team, maybe not.  Either way, he isn't on the hotseat.  I think maybe he has enough give a crap to try harder this coming season to reach a total of 9 wins.  So goes he, so goes us.

bythelake

Quote from: 12247 on February 09, 2017, 08:03:26 pm
Anyone even half way listening to our AD when it concerns BB or Mike Anderson should know that neither is on the hotseat.  Mr. Long appears happy with both.  It would also appear, not sure, that the folks higher up that can make decisions are still happy with the AD or scared not to be since he is seen in the industry as a man of Integrity and good judgement.  As AD, he gets credit for running a tight ship though I disagree.  But I am not in the know.  He did not do well with the contract of BB, I do know that.  Boils down to we are stuck with BB good or bad and BB can decide that position without penalty.  If and when the man decides to bust his ass and get the job done to a higher level, it will happen.  He showed up here full of darn and not too bright on what it takes in the SEC.  Pulling his pud won't work into wins here.  Maybe he will put his knowledge to work and improve this team, maybe not.  Either way, he isn't on the hotseat.  I think maybe he has enough give a crap to try harder this coming season to reach a total of 9 wins.  So goes he, so goes us.

Props for the post.  Lots of shortsighted truth in what you posted.  It was with so much passion it made me laugh out loud.  Please keep the jokes coming.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HamSammich on February 09, 2017, 05:12:23 pm

There is no limit to how long he's here.  So, forget about the time line you've proposed...

rtr

What is a sctiik?

Come on factchecker, that is weak even for you.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

factchecker

1.  You are going to get called out if you complain about academics and then use horrible spelling.  It doesn't matter if you use it sarcastically or not.

2.  Nobody is happy about losing.  We also understand the brutal nature of the SEC.  If we were winning conference championships before Long got here then you would have a valid argument.  Our record vs. the SEC prior to Long isn't much better.  From 1992 to the end of the 2007 season we were 60-69-2 vs. the SEC.

Regardless, Long with eventually be gone.  Who should we get if/when/however Long leaves?

I want someone who places and emphasis on winning while keeping the incestuous good ol' boy network dead and buried.  There are a lot of fans who want to have "control".  They would be happy with 29-43 if they were able to dictate the action on the hill.  People need to realize that their donation entitles them to better parking and good seats.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rtr

I miss the greatest razorback ever, J. Frank Broyles.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Jek Tono Porkins

Here's the conference play record over the past two years for SEC West coaches:

WEST
Nick Saban: 15-1
Bret Bielema: 8-8
Kevin Sumlin: 8-8
Hugh Freeze: 8-8
Dan Mullen: 7-9
Gus Malzahn: 7-9
Ed Orgeron: N/A

The Bielema hire was made with a pretty obvious mindset. The mindset was "Our program is an absolute dumpster fire. We're going to hire an experienced, successful head coach from another Power 5 program to come here and fix it his way and we're going to give him all the time he needs."

Therefore, paying the coach to take over your dumpster fire and then holding his first couple of years against him is pretty retarded. His overall SEC record doesn't prove anything except how bad of shape the team was when he got here.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bythelake

Jek, best post I've seen in a a while.  Appreciate the perspective provided.

Post more.   Thanks

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: factchecker on February 09, 2017, 08:13:32 pm
1.  You are going to get called out if you complain about academics and then use horrible spelling.  It doesn't matter if you use it sarcastically or not.

2.  Nobody is happy about losing.  We also understand the brutal nature of the SEC.  If we were winning conference championships before Long got here then you would have a valid argument.  Our record vs. the SEC prior to Long isn't much better.  From 1992 to the end of the 2007 season we were 60-69-2 vs. the SEC.

Regardless, Long with eventually be gone.  Who should we get if/when/however Long leaves?

I want someone who places and emphasis on winning while keeping the incestuous good ol' boy network dead and buried.  There are a lot of fans who want to have "control".  They would be happy with 29-43 if they were able to dictate the action on the hill.  People need to realize that their donation entitles them to better parking and good seats.
Thank you. I apologize for my attitude/shortness/take on this whole ordeal. I do realize we all have opinions and mine isn't necessarily right even most of the time. I just think this AD isn't one of us(Hog from birth by the grace of God). I also think my thinking is driven by the Souths "football is king" mentality.

I am a former athlete and was raised by the bear Bryant school of thought that "Winning is everything".With that said I must tell you that I realize those are just sayings and several things in my life are way above football. I'm just sick of so much losing and many excuses being made for it.

bythelake

That's fair hog-roses, but I think that all sec teams not named Alabama are thinking as you.  Hell I was distraught over our last 2 losses where we had historical collapses in the second half. 

But you have to suck it up and think, drink and then get off the ground and gain perspective on what is best for the program.  Seeing how cbb will undoubtedly be here for at least 2 more years get on board and enjoy the ride.  Cbb is a fighter, let's see what he can do.  Being constantly negative is of zero benefit when it will bring zero change.

No one here has all the answers, certainly not me. 

jkstock04

What is a sctiik?

People argue it all the time. Especially in the face of losses. You hear phrases like  "building it the right way" "integrity" "student athlete" "uncommon"

The academic success is great...it really is, but when it becomes a diversion and takes the place of winning games it gets irritating. You can't go to a university sporting event these days...or even receive something in the mail from the foundation without the "academic successes" loudly thrown in your face.

I'm sick of it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 08:32:18 pm
Thank you. I apologize for my attitude/shortness/take on this whole ordeal. I do realize we all have opinions and mine isn't necessarily right even most of the time. I just think this AD isn't one of us(Hog from birth by the grace of God). I also think my thinking is driven by the Souths "football is king" mentality.

I am a former athlete and was raised by the bear Bryant school of thought that "Winning is everything".With that said I must tell you that I realize those are just sayings and several things in my life are way above football. I'm just sick of so much losing and many excuses being made for it.

No problem.  Losing sucks.  As fans, we are in a tough spot. Do you pull the plug/start over at the risk of instability or do you wait longer and possibly sink further in apathy.

Moving forward I think it would be great to have a former Razorback or at least someone who understands the culture/identity of being a Razorback as an athletic director. Jeff Long, regardless of his level of success, can not connect with a portion of our fan-base.  Right or not, there are fans that see Jeff as a man motivated by avarice rather than success.

A few of my stipulations for the new AD would be:

1. WIN
2. continue to stress academic success while limiting off the field problems
3. continue to push for facility improvments
4. prioritize attendance over tickets bought
5. improve attendance with promotions and fan interaction
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 08:51:41 pm
People argue it all the time. Especially in the face of losses. You hear phrases like  "building it the right way" "integrity" "student athlete" "uncommon"

The academic success is great...it really is, but when it becomes a diversion and takes the place of winning games it gets irritating. You can't go to a university sporting event these days...or even receive something in the mail from the foundation without the "academic successes" loudly thrown in your face.

I'm sick of it.

Loudly? I admit, I haven't been able to go to any games since the 11/12 season. However, I'm going to bet that sporting events are at least 99.9% non-academic. I'd guess that no more than 30 seconds is spent on academics save for maybe 1 game out the season where maybe a solid 1% of the time is about the players GPA and major and who their parents are, etc...

The mail I get and the media guides will usually mention something about grades, but again, it makes up not even a whisper in loudness relative to the whole thing.

Don't think academics works as a diversion for anybody over wins. However, for recruiting purposes, mom and pops are going to be most impressed by your ability to prepare them for what will come next. We are doing that in spades and our recruiting is reflecting that. We put more players in the NFL than everybody save the top programs in the SEC. More than Auburn and the aggies even. We also are having great academics. Those are going to be just as much of a recruiting tool as a shiny gym and it would be unwise not to advertise that. We take care of you while you are here (fancy facilities), and we improve your chances of getting you to where you want to go when you leave (NFL or otherwise).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

moses_007

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 05:20:58 pm
11.7M on Jan. 1st, 2018, 7.9M on Jan. 1st, 2019.
He'll be gone in 2019 then, 2 more mediocre football seasons from now.  He isn't ever going to produce a real winning program here. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 09, 2017, 08:27:26 pm

WEST

The Bielema hire was made with a pretty obvious mindset. The mindset was "Our program is an absolute dumpster fire. We're going to hire an experienced, successful head coach from another Power 5 program to come here and fix it his way and we're going to give him all the time he needs."

Therefore, paying the coach to take over your dumpster fire and then holding his first couple of years against him is pretty retarded. His overall SEC record doesn't prove anything except how bad of shape the team was when he got here.

You are being too logical.

hawgon

Not all are happy.  Red Socks already fired a shot across Long's bow at the last BOT meeting.

Al Boarland

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 09, 2017, 09:17:24 pm
You are being too logical.
I don't think they are paying for the product put on the field this past season, but I also don't think they are paying to win championships. From my understanding the board is not all that concerned with althletics and they think Long is doing a fine job.

whoopigLakeCity

Man I hear a lot off whiney half hog fan coach bashing cry babies. His first season here chalk it up to no expectations at all. Get over it. Now as I have stated before this is his year.He has had time now and things look great for this year. What gets me most is these are student athletes and very few care that coach has done a lot for his players in the classroom, and in life. There is more to being a great head coach than only his win loss columns. He has transformed Hogs football from a joke to a team on the verge of something special. No coach out there could have stepped in to the nightmare we had here and done anything better without the bag men from Auburn and Ole Miss. Now sit down STFU and enjoy a great season.

greenie

As much as some want it to be true, nobody is on the hot seat...except for maybe Dykes a little bit. 
For all you guys calling for heads, who would you replace Long or Bielema with?  I'd love to hear that.

gchamblee

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2017, 09:16:13 pm
Loudly? I admit, I haven't been able to go to any games since the 11/12 season. However, I'm going to bet that sporting events are at least 99.9% non-academic. I'd guess that no more than 30 seconds is spent on academics save for maybe 1 game out the season where maybe a solid 1% of the time is about the players GPA and major and who their parents are, etc...

The mail I get and the media guides will usually mention something about grades, but again, it makes up not even a whisper in loudness relative to the whole thing.

Don't think academics works as a diversion for anybody over wins. However, for recruiting purposes, mom and pops are going to be most impressed by your ability to prepare them for what will come next. We are doing that in spades and our recruiting is reflecting that. We put more players in the NFL than everybody save the top programs in the SEC. More than Auburn and the aggies even. We also are having great academics. Those are going to be just as much of a recruiting tool as a shiny gym and it would be unwise not to advertise that. We take care of you while you are here (fancy facilities), and we improve your chances of getting you to where you want to go when you leave (NFL or otherwise).

that was very well said

hobhog

Coach B is fine. Gonna be a good year.

jackflash

I am not sure he on the hot seat except on this board

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bythelake on February 09, 2017, 08:32:14 pm
Jek, best post I've seen in a a while.  Appreciate the perspective provided.

Post more.   Thanks
you have got to be kidding about the perspective, right ?  by choosing just the past two years it allows Bielema to look as though his record is .500.....even at that rate, the promise Bielema made us upon his introduction as coach will NEVER be attained by playing .500 football in the SEC...Bielema said he would bring the Razorback fans something we've never had before, an SEC championship....Bielema has no shot at an SEC championship in the next two years before he's asked to leave....we just don't have the bullets to get it done. This is coming down to a sad ending for a once great football program. When the UA can only out recruit two teams in the SEC, well, this pretty much means the fresh blood so vital to a flourishing program is either contaminated or just plain no good. Oh, we have recruited 4 or 5 good players, but not enough to keep us out of the SEC bottom tier from now to as far as I can see from the crow's nest. The truth hurts. I know, it's killing me right now having to say all of this.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 09, 2017, 08:27:26 pm

WEST

This doesn't fit the narrative. Please stop or else something something carpetbagger.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 07:54:02 pm
Let me phrase this another way. In mine and friends circles. The coffee shop, the barbershop, Church,Wal Mart, each others living rooms watching sports or movies. We converse about the football team, or product on the field.Now even the baxetball(couldn't resist), and how they are competing, who the competition is, our weaknesses,strengths,outcomes, hopes for the future....Most of the time its heartbreaking. Very little talk about grades or money. I do want us to make acceptable grades though. And I really don't want to be told how well we are doing in that area when we are down 24 points to a 9-11 Vanderbilt team.

Man...that sounds so much like Greene, Craighead, White, Lonoke, Baxter...ah hell all the counties in Arkansaw! Sorry I just couldn't resist!

Just get out more.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!