Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everything bad about soccer in one re-tweet

Started by oldbooniehog, May 27, 2015, 06:27:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Jeffrey Toobin retweeted this.

It perfectly encapsulates all the reasons to hate and loath soccer in less than 140 characters.

Jeffrey Toobin @JeffreyToobin 
  ·  9h 9 hours ago   
RT BREAKING: Swiss Police confirm that, when arrested, all seven FIFA officials threw themselves on the ground and pretended to be injured.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on May 29, 2015, 07:30:40 am
Yeah, baseball is pretty boring. But some people still love it, more power to them.

Heck millions of animals can be taught to kick a ball. Very few can be taught to throw one, hit one, catch one, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on May 31, 2015, 10:10:58 pm
Fewer animals can play chess. Therefore it's better than stick and ball sports.

Different criteria comparisons. More cerebral = yes...................more athletic = no.

Wright43

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 30, 2015, 10:49:53 pm
Heck millions of animals can be taught to kick a ball. Very few can be taught to throw one, hit one, catch one, etc.

Not liking soccer is one thing, and understandable-everyone has different tastes.

But to pretend they aren't good athletes is a joke. There are a million scenarios in which you can prove it wrong.

How many soccer players are overweight (like many/most in baseball, lineman, centers, etc. etc.)? How many miles do you run in a soccer game vs. a football, baseball, basketball game (hint: a lot more in soccer)?

Not to mention just thinking about the elite soccer players, numerically. The best football players in the world all come from the USA-and they are all men between (lets say) 18-40. This means they are the best out of about 100-110 million people (not even including other factors that would make the number smaller like medical conditions, size, etc).

The best soccer players in the world can come from any country-as it is the most popular sport in the world. This means an elite soccer player is the best out of about 2 BILLION.  Not to mention that soccer (in general, depending on position) doesn't require you to be a certain size-meaning that the sample size is even larger than it would be with a sport like football or basketball. Because in those sports, even if you were world class-if you were 4'11'' you're not going to play professionally.

Being a world class soccer player, numerically and statistically, is a much greater achievement (in terms of being much less likely) than being a world class football, basketball, or baseball player.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wright43 on June 02, 2015, 10:10:04 pm
Not liking soccer is one thing, and understandable-everyone has different tastes.

But to pretend they aren't good athletes is a joke. There are a million scenarios in which you can prove it wrong.

How many soccer players are overweight (like many/most in baseball, lineman, centers, etc. etc.)? How many miles do you run in a soccer game vs. a football, baseball, basketball game (hint: a lot more in soccer)?

Not to mention just thinking about the elite soccer players, numerically. The best football players in the world all come from the USA-and they are all men between (lets say) 18-40. This means they are the best out of about 100-110 million people (not even including other factors that would make the number smaller like medical conditions, size, etc).

The best soccer players in the world can come from any country-as it is the most popular sport in the world. This means an elite soccer player is the best out of about 2 BILLION.  Not to mention that soccer (in general, depending on position) doesn't require you to be a certain size-meaning that the sample size is even larger than it would be with a sport like football or basketball. Because in those sports, even if you were world class-if you were 4'11'' you're not going to play professionally.

Being a world class soccer player, numerically and statistically, is a much greater achievement (in terms of being much less likely) than being a world class football, basketball, or baseball player.

Please show me in this thread where I said they weren't good athletes...............you can't.

P.S. That achievement thing depends on how you personally define achievement and compare it to others not doing the same thing.

hogfan98

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 05, 2015, 04:02:58 pm
Please show me in this thread where I said they weren't good athletes...............you can't.

Maybe not explicitly.  But when you say millions of animals can be taught to kick a ball, the implication is that it doesn't take much skill to play soccer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan98 on June 08, 2015, 02:17:08 pm
Maybe not explicitly.  But when you say millions of animals can be taught to kick a ball, the implication is that it doesn't take much skill to play soccer.

You do know that kicking the ball is the main way you move the ball and one of only two ways to score don't you. It is the main part of the game since you can't use your hands. I will admit that millions of animals can be taught how to flop.......................just not as good as soccer players.

EastexHawg

Soccer is the world's game because it is dirt cheap to play.  A lot of smaller schools don't play (American) football because it's too expensive to equip a team.  Even in Angola or Sri Lanka someone can sew up the bladder of a pig they ate and come up with a soccer ball.

I can't stand to watch it because it is mostly an exercise in futility.  Unless we're talking about midfield or further out most attempted passes don't arrive as planned to their "receivers".  It's a bunch of flailing, missing, balls going out of bounds, and much to and fro accomplishing basically nothing.

No wonder the announcer sounds as if he just struck gold in the Klondike or stuck a screwdriver into a live outlet every time a goal is actually scored. 

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Wright43 on June 02, 2015, 10:10:04 pm

+1  you have to remember your audience, backwood rednecks which is why Soccer is finally finding its place in Ark.  Our girls made it to the NCAA Tourney!  SHHHHH only gays play soccer! 
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

hogfan98

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 09, 2015, 07:31:05 am
You do know that kicking the ball is the main way you move the ball and one of only two ways to score don't you. It is the main part of the game since you can't use your hands. I will admit that millions of animals can be taught how to flop.......................just not as good as soccer players.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And Dempsey scored with his chest against Portugal, so we're up to three ways. But thanks for trying to explain the game and feel free to keep dropping knowledge on us.

Inhogswetrust

June 14, 2015, 03:43:04 pm #11 Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:26:20 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hogfan98 on June 14, 2015, 03:17:17 pm
I have no idea what you're talking about.

And Dempsey scored with his chest against Portugal, so we're up to three ways. But thanks for trying to explain the game and feel free to keep dropping knowledge on us.

OK. You know what I meant. The main deal is they cannot use their hands or arms. You will agree then that 99% of goals are scored via kicks or headers though I would bet.

P.S. some of my knowledge comes from having a former member of a P5 soccer team in my family as well as several fans of soccer in it that still play competitively in leagues as adults..................My whole family and my wifes family are both very sports oriented as you might ascertain. I'd bet your family is as well.

secfan30

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on June 11, 2015, 01:41:42 pm
+1  you have to remember your audience, backwood rednecks which is why Soccer is finally finding its place in Ark.  Our girls made it to the NCAA Tourney!  SHHHHH only gays play soccer! 

I married a soccer player, who is 16 years younger than me, a ton of fun and  she's not gay at all...

HogFansReunited

Watch a replay of the Women's World Cup and tell me soccer is boring.  If you understand the game, it is very fun to watch.  Just like in baseball, it's not all about scoring, there is so much more going on.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Jackrabbit Hog

I don't care for soccer but I won't argue with those who do about whether it's (a) a great sport; or (b) played by great athletes.  It's just not my cup of tea.

My 2 cents worth on the women's championship......we are the most progressive country in the world when it comes to women's rights and women's athletics.  Title IX assured that long ago.  Hence, while virtually every country in the world stresses men's sports and tries to compete on the worldwide stage for dominance in men's sports, a much smaller number of countries do the same with their women's sports.  It just doesn't matter as much to them.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 06, 2015, 10:30:55 am
I don't care for soccer but I won't argue with those who do about whether it's (a) a great sport; or (b) played by great athletes.  It's just not my cup of tea.

My 2 cents worth on the women's championship......we are the most progressive country in the world when it comes to women's rights and women's athletics.  Title IX assured that long ago.  Hence, while virtually every country in the world stresses men's sports and tries to compete on the worldwide stage for dominance in men's sports, a much smaller number of countries do the same with their women's sports.  It just doesn't matter as much to them.

This is very true but soccer is huge everywhere but the US.  China actually said they would paid each player an extra 250K (If I remember correctly) just for beating the US.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: secfan30 on July 05, 2015, 11:04:09 am
I married a soccer player, who is 16 years younger than me, a ton of fun and  she's not gay at all...

Make sure she kicks the right ones.................................

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 06, 2015, 02:36:46 pm
Make sure she kicks the right ones.................................

And into the correct goal !
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on July 06, 2015, 10:57:22 am
This is very true but soccer is huge everywhere but the US.  China actually said they would paid each player an extra 250K (If I remember correctly) just for beating the US.
But I bet they get taxed at about 99.5%. Lol. Or it's 250k pesos