Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winston will be a bust for TB!!

Started by Rockpig5, April 30, 2015, 07:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig5

One maybe Two very mediocre years, and TB releases him!! JMO

Hog N Bama

April 30, 2015, 07:17:33 pm #1 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:35:14 pm by Hog N Bama
Disgusting. He doesn't deserve anything but jail.

Georgeofthejungle

I am not a Jameis fan at all soley based on his off the field issues and the way he carries himself, BUT I believe he will be a solid to great NFL QB. He can make every throw, ideal NFL pocket passer, great size, and apparently is very smart from an academic standpoint(hard to believe based on decision making).

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Georgeofthejungle on April 30, 2015, 07:26:13 pm
   I am not a Jameis fan at all soley based on his off the field issues and the way he carries himself, BUT I believe he will be a solid to great NFL QB. He can make every throw, ideal NFL pocket passer, great size, and apparently is very smart from an academic standpoint(hard to believe based on decision making).

Academic smarts and "life" smarts, that decision making thing you referenced, are not the same thing. Heck even Gruden said he had too many INT's. Those two factors gives me pause to award him potential greatness in the NFL. A LOT of QB's over the years could make the throws, had the prototypical size, etc. and didn't pan out. I believe immature head cases have a long way to go to make it as a solid to great NFL QB. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jrulz83

I know a lot of people with high GPAs that are total morons.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hoggish1

Winston went to the right team.  He will be a star...

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Rockpig5 on April 30, 2015, 07:14:57 pm
What are you basing this on?  Look at the receivers he has there. 

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 07:57:20 pm
Academic smarts and "life" smarts, that decision making thing you referenced, are not the same thing. Heck even Gruden said he had too many INT's. Those two factors gives me pause to award him potential greatness in the NFL. A LOT of QB's over the years could make the throws, had the prototypical size, etc. and didn't pan out. I believe immature head cases have a long way to go to make it as a solid to great NFL QB.

I figured it was implied by my last sentence that because he may be book smart doesn't necessarily mean he is "life" smart or makes good decisions throughout life.

"apparently is very smart from an academic standpoint(hard to believe based on decision making)."

It's obvious the guy has some issues, but my opinion was based on what the guy did two seasons ago(absolutely tore it up) and upside. If he matures off the field, he'll be a good pro. I would be willing to bet that The Bucs' front office will hire some sort of security detail to follow him until they feel "comfortable."

hogfan14

Hope the Texans get DeVante Parker

Guess not lol

go hogues

So Mallet's character gets absolutely drug through the streets, tarred and feathered before the draft but a guy like Jameis goes #1 overall. Unbelievable.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

alohawg

Quote from: go hogues on April 30, 2015, 09:06:24 pm
So Mallet's character gets absolutely drug through the streets, tarred and feathered before the draft but a guy like Jameis goes #1 overall. Unbelievable.

Mallett doesn't look the part.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

seasonhog

Winston . and  the player that  Kansas City just drafted all with more baggage then Mallett.

Grunden is just one of the mouths that blackballed Ryan and had little to do with Ryan character.

MojaveJoe

I think it was a poor year for QB's. Not a fan of either Winston or Mariota

How about Washington, 3 1st rounders so far...

MojaveJoe

Shane Ray to Denver! I suppose he won't be getting busted for pot anymore...

DOGALUM

I think "can make every throw" is a phrase WAY overused by those of us not in the business.  That said.....I do not believe that he "can make every throw".  He's got a pretty solid arm.....but not crazy strong.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Birminghog

Right. I don't want to hear anybody else talk about how character counts in the NFL after this dreck.

gawntrail

TB is my team. Hate the pick.  CRyan Leaf part deaux.

Should have traded down got some more OL maybe a LB or a best Corner/Safety on the board maybe try for Melvin Gordon or Yeldon to pound the rock and then wait to pick up Mannion in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round.  Mannion will be wearing SB hardware.  Mark my words.

ChicoHog

I think Winston will be a decent QB as long as he stays out of trouble off the field.   He is much more "NFL ready" than Mariota.  marcus never called plays let alone an audible.  Just like Griffin from Baylor a few years ago.  both are great athletes but not your typical NFL QB.  having said that I do think Mariota will be successful much more than any of the other "spread type" QBs that have been drafted the last few years.  he is very driven, smart, athletic and will succeed.  I think it will take him longer than Winston however. 

MrThunderhog

Winston will one day lead the Mean Machine against the guards
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

goshog

GoHogs1091

One thing is for certain is that he won't be playing behind as good of an Offensive Line at Tampa Bay as the OL he played behind at Florida State.  That OL he played behind the last 2 seasons at Florida State basically owned everyone with the exception of the 2014 Clemson Defensive Line (even Jimbo Fisher stated that they were getting owned on the line of scrimmage when he talked to the sideline reporter at halftime of their 2014 Clemson game when he was on the way to the locker room).

When Gruden mentioned how many interceptions Winston threw at Florida State, I was surprised.  I did not know he had thrown that many interceptions.  Not only has his decision making off the field been poor, he also made some poor decisions on the field when throwing the ball.

hawginbigd1

Thread is a fail IMO. Winston is an NFL QB, Mariota is a bust.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Georgeofthejungle on April 30, 2015, 08:28:20 pm
   I figured it was implied by my last sentence that because he may be book smart doesn't necessarily mean he is "life" smart or makes good decisions throughout life.

"apparently is very smart from an academic standpoint(hard to believe based on decision making)."

It's obvious the guy has some issues, but my opinion was based on what the guy did two seasons ago(absolutely tore it up) and upside. If he matures off the field, he'll be a good pro. I would be willing to bet that The Bucs' front office will hire some sort of security detail to follow him until they feel "comfortable."

IF an organization feels they have to hire a "security detail" to follow one of their employees around to feel comfortable then they drafted the wrong guy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 01, 2015, 12:46:36 am

Your post is a fail.....................see how easy that is.

There is no way to know for sure in advance who will or will not be a bust.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 30, 2015, 10:06:53 pm
I think "can make every throw" is a phrase WAY overused by those of us not in the business.  That said.....I do not believe that he "can make every throw".  He's got a pretty solid arm.....but not crazy strong.

Agree ..............ability to make every throw doesn't mean having a 100% completion percentage. Over the years there are quite a few QB's that can make every throw we hear yet only a small number of them become starting NFL QB's.

MuskogeeHogFan

Isn't it interesting that just prior to the draft Winston came out and said that he was going to repair his image and that wherever he wound up, he was going to get involved in various charities and civic causes, giving of his personal time, to give back.

Then the picture from last night, where he is sitting in front of a plate full of crab legs, smiling ear to ear. That's getting started on the right foot, isn't it?

You can see it here:
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/05/01/jameis-winston-posts-hilarious-crab-legs-picture-after-going-no-1-in-2015-nfl-draft/
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 07:16:33 am
IF an organization feels they have to hire a "security detail" to follow one of their employees around to feel comfortable then they drafted the wrong guy.

While I don't completely disagree with you, it's not that uncommon for high draft choices organizations have a ton invested in. Dez Brant has had one for years and I believe this will his first season without one.

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 07:21:48 am
Agree ..............ability to make every throw doesn't mean having a 100% completion percentage. Over the years there are quite a few QB's that can make every throw we hear yet only a small number of them become starting NFL QB's.

Haha, who said it means having 100% completion percentage? He has the ability to make almost, if not every throw across the field, and that was just ONE of the intangibles I listed why I believe he will be a successful NFL QB.

For the record, the guy has exceptional arm strength (compared to Aaron Rodgers' arm by scouts at the combine).

SemperHawg

There is a reason both of these organizations are always drafting near the top, and it's the same reason both qbs will have trouble succeeding.   NFL success is based largely on talent-to-right orginazation. We can call guys like JaMarcus Russell, or even DMac  for that matter busts, but the fact is everyone drafted by the Raiders in the last 8 years have been busts.  The difference between a guy like JaMarcus Russell and say Ben Rothlisburger probably has a lot more to do with where they were drafted than actual player talent.

popcornhog

Why do you say that?

I find him to be a piece of garbage but he's got all of the tools.
WPS

JayBell

For the last two months, I've just kept wondering, "I can't be the only one that thinks Winston will be a bust, am I?"  To me, it looks like he'll be just like Vince Young and (somewhat less like) Cam Newton.  They're just head cases that got way too much hype out of school.  Newton is a fantasy football beast right now, but how much longer does he have?  How much has Carolina won with him?  And of course Young...

Winston's workouts showed he wasn't the athletic freak so many talking heads made him out to be in college.  He's not a great passer and he's a head case.

With Mariota, I just don't see him taking his game to the next level.  He seems like a good leader and has his head on straight, but I just don't see enough football talent.  I could be wrong.

JayBell

But yeah, Mallett's draft still trips me the hell out.  Those were guys who do professional football business for a living and they were drafting bums like Blaine Gabbert in the first round.  You just knew him and Ponder weren't going to have any kind of success.  Ponder is an outstanding guy, he's just never gotten it done on the field, and he was an effing first round pick.

I did get Locker and Dalton backwards.  I didn't expect much out of either, but I expected Dalton to bomb and Locker to have a modicum of success.  Then there's Kaepernick...

I've been saying for years, once Mallett actually gets his chance as a starting quarterback, he may have the best NFL career of any QB drafted that year.

JayBell

Quote from: popcornhog on May 01, 2015, 08:54:05 amWhy do you say that?

I find him to be a piece of garbage but he's got all of the tools.

What tools?  He's not very athletic.  There's nothing that jumps out about him when it comes to arm strength, stats or reading defenses.  He played on an all-star team at Florida State in the weakest of the Power 5 conferences.

I seriously don't know what people see in him to think he'll be anything more than a possible starter in the right situation.  IMO, he's a middle of the pack NFL QB, at best.  That's not a bad thing, but it can be when you're the No. 1 pick in the draft.

PaintballHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 01, 2015, 12:46:36 am

Agreed. Winston made more NFL throws in the game vs Oregon than Mariota has all last year. Oregon's system of spreading teams out to the max makes his receivers open by a good 3-4 yards usually. He rarely had to make throws in tight windows, throw to a covered receiver in a way only his guy can get it, etc.

I'm no fan of Winston personally, but the pro style they ran will have him very prepared for the NFL. 

tbhogfan

You never know how a draft pick will turn out. 

Tom Brady was the 199th pick of the 2000 NFL Draft, and the seventh QB picked that year.  Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were both undrafted.   At some point, you have to produce on the field, no matter what position you were drafted in.
Go Hogs!

razorbucz

Quote from: gawntrail on April 30, 2015, 10:19:02 pm
TB is my team. Hate the pick.  CRyan Leaf part deaux.

Should have traded down got some more OL maybe a LB or a best Corner/Safety on the board maybe try for Melvin Gordon or Yeldon to pound the rock and then wait to pick up Mannion in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round.  Mannion will be wearing SB hardware.  Mark my words.

The Bucs are my team too, and I believe you are right.  The Bucs should have traded down and gotten more talent on defense.   Defense is what got them to the SuperBowl, that is the key to getting back there.  This just goes to show the Bucs STILL have dysfunctional ownership and front office.  But at least I have my Razorbacks to look forward too.  I guess I'll just volunteer more at my church on Sundays this fall.

WHOO PIG !!  :razorback:

bigred223

Jameis is a great player. He has all the skills he needs for the pro game.

hawganatic

Jameis Winston is too good of a QB.  If he fails, it will be because he didn't get his personal life under control.

If he calms down and gets his head right, he's going to be in the league for a long time.  His onfield play is too good not too.

Pork Twain

Agreed...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigdaddyhawg

Sorry boys, like it or not Winston was born to be a great NFL quarterback.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PonderinHog

onebadrubi

If MalletT was in this draft he would have been first rounder. 

jjdlc

I expect Winston to have a decent first season followed by a disastrous off season.  He probably won't get in enough trouble his first year to get in prison, but his relationship with TB will be strained, and after a mediocre second season in which he has lost the support of the team, he will be either be cut, or finally cross the line that lands him in jail.

Mariota, I just don't know about.  I think he has the ability to be a decent QB, but so many spread QBs have looked the same way, and very few have been able to have much NFL success.  I'm a bit sad, I love the Titans, but it seem like starting with the firing of Jeff Fisher, their decision making has just went down hill.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

Well, let's step back and ask, "Has any other QB, with this much college baggage, off the field, ever done jacksh in the NFL?"

Con el Cerdos

SemperHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 01, 2015, 11:07:26 am
Well, let's step back and ask, "Has any other QB, with this much college baggage, off the field, ever done jacksh in the NFL?"
Rothlesburger has 2 rings and is considered one of the top ten franchise QBs in the NFL.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: JayBell on May 01, 2015, 09:08:42 am
What tools?  He's not very athletic.  There's nothing that jumps out about him when it comes to arm strength, stats or reading defenses.  He played on an all-star team at Florida State in the weakest of the Power 5 conferences.

I seriously don't know what people see in him to think he'll be anything more than a possible starter in the right situation.  IMO, he's a middle of the pack NFL QB, at best.  That's not a bad thing, but it can be when you're the No. 1 pick in the draft.

No way Mallett ever has a better career than Cam. That's just hilarious