Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Bowl Game in Little Rock

Started by Seminole Indian, March 11, 2015, 05:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Per Jonesboro Sun.

Matching an AAC and SBC team, in early December, starting in 2015 or 2016.

5th tie in for SBC. Nice!
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

twistitup

Let's start some name ideas for this bowl.

I'll start:

The Rock in the Punch Bowl

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Hogfaniam

It must be the "Who Gives A $nit Bowl" cause any reference to it was about 4 pages deep in Google behind a pay wall to the Jonesboro Sun.  Really?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Dropkick

Hogfaniam

holeinthewall

Nothing says Christmas like being sent to Little Rock for a bowl game. Possibly the worst destination of all the bowl games.

Dr. Starcs

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 11, 2015, 10:47:52 am
Nothing says Christmas like being sent to Little Rock for a bowl game. Possibly the worst destination of all the bowl games.

Well it isn't like Montgomery is that better an option as a destination. Little Rock has just as much entertainment value downtown as the City of Montgomery does, imo. And I am sure there are other bowl sites that leave much to be desired for that matter.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Inhogswetrust

March 12, 2015, 07:42:50 am #9 Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:26:08 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 11, 2015, 02:56:05 pm
Well it isn't like Montgomery is that better an option as a destination. Little Rock has just as much entertainment value downtown as the City of Montgomery does, imo. And I am sure there are other bowl sites that leave much to be desired for that matter.

There are way too many bowls. LR is nicer than Montgomery but that doesn't make WMS a viable venue for a good bowl. I agree there are some other venues or cities that are not good as well. They are not highly regarded bowls either. That being said IF LR can make a go of it as those have done then good for them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Hogfaniam

*Get the bowl game date to coincide with the Dixie Belle running at Oaklawn.  Should be  Fri. Jan 8.  This would be the Friday before the CFB championship game.  Come in Thursday, go to the horserace Friday and play all day in Hot Springs, tailgate and go to the football game Saturday afternoon, play DT LR Saturday night, leave Sunday.

* Between Dickey Stephens and Verizon, build a new stadium of 30k to 40k. Make it expandable, if by some miracle it needs to be, kind of like U of Houstons new stadium, where you can see DT LR.

*Take the new WMS press box and some of the west stands supporting it and make an amphitheater for concerts. Tie it in with the Zoo.  The suites can be used for events.  Make the press area the War Memorial to The Vets along with the underside of the west stands.  Make it nice.  Expand the zoo into WMS parking.

*Start a football program at UALR.

*Try to get a start of the  season kickoff game between 2 conferences to bookend the season with a bowl game at the end.

Kicking Wing

There are not enough bowls actually.  The majority of the bowls only matter to the cities that host them and the fans of the programs involved.  If there are eligible teams needing a spot and cities that want to fill hotels and restaurants then there is a need for bowls. 

Little Rock needs the Taekwondo National Tournament and things like the SEC WBB tournament.  A bowl game will draw more tourist than either of those events in most cases.  A bowl featuring Arkansas State or ULL vs. Memphis, SMU or Tulsa in LR will put 35-40K in LR for a few days easily and that is a huge economic impact.  If it is New Mexico State vs. Tulane or Temple... not so much.

trippigs

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 12, 2015, 12:08:57 pm
*Get the bowl game date to coincide with the Dixie Belle running at Oaklawn.  Should be  Fri. Jan 8.  This would be the Friday before the CFB championship game.  Come in Thursday, go to the horserace Friday and play all day in Hot Springs, tailgate and go to the football game Saturday afternoon, play DT LR Saturday night, leave Sunday.

* Between Dickey Stephens and Verizon, build a new stadium of 30k to 40k. Make it expandable, if by some miracle it needs to be, kind of like U of Houstons new stadium, where you can see DT LR.

*Take the new WMS press box and some of the west stands supporting it and make an amphitheater for concerts. Tie it in with the Zoo.  The suites can be used for events.  Make the press area the War Memorial to The Vets along with the underside of the west stands.  Make it nice.  Expand the zoo into WMS parking.

*Start a football program at UALR.

*Try to get a start of the  season kickoff game between 2 conferences to bookend the season with a bowl game at the end.

Good for you to offer solutions instead of negatives.....reads like a master plan to work toward.

ricepig

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 13, 2015, 08:57:19 am
There are not enough bowls actually.  The majority of the bowls only matter to the cities that host them and the fans of the programs involved.  If there are eligible teams needing a spot and cities that want to fill hotels and restaurants then there is a need for bowls. 

Little Rock needs the Taekwondo National Tournament and things like the SEC WBB tournament.  A bowl game will draw more tourist than either of those events in most cases.  A bowl featuring Arkansas State or ULL vs. Memphis, SMU or Tulsa in LR will put 35-40K in LR for a few days easily and that is a huge economic impact.  If it is New Mexico State vs. Tulane or Temple... not so much.

I disagree on ULL drawing that much in LR, no matter the opponent, ASU probably would draw 35,000 against Memphis or SMU.

Tripod1

Its a great idea and good for the economy of LR.  We all understand the stadium is not up to par but come on folks why do we have to be all negative about LR?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2015, 10:55:01 am
I disagree on ULL drawing that much in LR, no matter the opponent, ASU probably would draw 35,000 against Memphis or SMU.
Compare to most of the attendance you see for bowls in the Bahamas, Miami, Boise, etc., ULL vs a regional AAC opponent would draw well in LR.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 13, 2015, 08:57:19 am

Bull. I've had to deal with bowls and their economic impact being in the hotel business for years. They are NOT the "huge" economic impact you think they are for anything but the larger bowls. It is more like a "small" economic impact usually. Those teams you mention would NOT bring as many people as you think and they would not all stay several days and nights. Hotels EXCEPT in tourist destinations and towns do not fill up with tourists. They are usually filled with business people. Those business people are subsidizing cities vie "bed taxes" or "tourist taxes" for cities to market themselves. They also sometimes have to pay extra taxes in restaurants. They should not have to do that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 13, 2015, 01:44:08 pm
Compare to most of the attendance you see for bowls in the Bahamas, Miami, Boise, etc., ULL vs a regional AAC opponent would draw well in LR.

No it wouldn't.

twistitup

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 13, 2015, 01:44:08 pm

First time I've heard LR compared to the Bahamas or Miami....congrats

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on March 14, 2015, 10:39:48 am
A bowl would bring in more people than you receive otherwise, so even a small bowl is a net positive in that industry.   

That depends on what else the taxes are used for that are dedicated to those type of events and tourism. Don't forget there are also costs to do it involved. Guess who pays a part of that cost? Local taxpayers and people staying in hotels and eating in restaurants that are NOT there for a bowl game in part. Let me say I've had fans including bands stay in my hotels during bowl games quite a few times. Does it help the industry? Of course BUT others help foot the bill that could care less about a game. I assure you it is not the great windfall revenue wise for hotels you might think other than the ones the teams stay pin for several days. It is barely a blip on the budgeting process for them. A very small margin increase in and of itself.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on March 13, 2015, 02:49:18 pm

Haha! With global warming I'm sure we will have Palm trees in LR in about 100 years!......... ;D

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

DLUXHOG

Hillbilly Bowl.... (would coincide with media perception...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

chiefsfan

If Boise and Montgomery can host a bowl, so can Little Rock.

Though I do agree there are far too many bowls. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 16, 2015, 11:58:48 pm

Having too many bowls now is the reason teams get in with a mediocre 6-6 record.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 16, 2015, 11:58:48 pm

Too much football?  Impossibru!

Großer Kriegschwein

There are quite a few places that are worse than Little Rock.
This is my non-signature signature.

twistitup

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 17, 2015, 12:04:18 am
The Chicken and Rice bowl.

Duck and Rice

Chicken would be if the game was played in NWA -

hawgbawb

Better than Shreveport
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: hawgbawb on March 25, 2015, 06:02:35 am
Better than Shreveport
I went to the Independence Bowl to watch Miami and South Carolina, this past December. I would say the stadiums are about the same. But as far as the city goes Little Rock is a nicer place to go. The second half of the independence bowl half of the replay screen blacked out. But they kept playing ads for Uncle Si Sweet tea. U just couldn't see the ol duck hunter

Torqued pork

A bowl game for everybody.
No program left behind.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on March 29, 2015, 04:34:40 am
A bowl game for everybody.
No program left behind.

Don't forget Statues for everyone!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2015, 05:33:25 am
Duck and Rice

Chicken would be if the game was played in NWA -

Plenty of chickens in central Arkansas too.
This is my non-signature signature.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: twistitup on March 13, 2015, 02:49:18 pm
Yes, because that is what I was doing, comparing the cities and not the potential attendance.  Did you see the crowds in the Bahamas or Miami for their bowl games this year?

Kicking Wing

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2015, 09:17:14 am
That depends on what else the taxes are used for that are dedicated to those type of events and tourism. Don't forget there are also costs to do it involved. Guess who pays a part of that cost? Local taxpayers and people staying in hotels and eating in restaurants that are NOT there for a bowl game in part. Let me say I've had fans including bands stay in my hotels during bowl games quite a few times. Does it help the industry? Of course BUT others help foot the bill that could care less about a game. I assure you it is not the great windfall revenue wise for hotels you might think other than the ones the teams stay pin for several days. It is barely a blip on the budgeting process for them. A very small margin increase in and of itself.
That is not true.  The restaurants and hotels in Mobile do way more than their normal amount of business when ASU goes down there.  Those people LOVE having a bowl game in town.

Kicking Wing

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/godaddycom_bowl_economic_impac.html

I would suspect that LR would expect to see a similar amount of revenue.  More if it were Memphis, Tulsa or SMU vs. ASU but less if it ends up East Carolina vs. Texas State.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 30, 2015, 03:05:32 pm
That is not true.  The restaurants and hotels in Mobile do way more than their normal amount of business when ASU goes down there.  Those people LOVE having a bowl game in town.
Getting the game would be a big plus for LR, especially is it involved a Conference with an Arkansas FBS team.

That A-State has its program to where it is bowl eligible almost every year, and their fans travel well is a plus.

No doubt a  bowl game involving A-State, and any AAC,(especially the AAC teams in states adjacent to Arkansas) would attract a significant number of  people of LR.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 30, 2015, 03:03:43 pm
Guarantee it will.

Then put your money where your guarantee is..............................

Inhogswetrust

March 31, 2015, 11:32:43 am #42 Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:43:39 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 30, 2015, 03:05:32 pm

Sure they do. They also know who actually and mostly PAYS for them to have that small windfall. It is their customers throughout the rest of the year. I never said some restaurants and hotels don't like having bowl games. I've managed hotels in a few bowl cities that got business from them, especially the Liberty Bowl which I worked with directly as a hotel representative. However to think it is a "big" or "huge" windfall for smaller bowls and the overall yearly economy for the area where they are played is false. Does it provide SOME extra economic benefit yes, is it a large amount no. That also holds true of some conventions as well. As an example the COGIC convention was held during a slower time of year in Memphis every year. I've been to several meetings over the years with representatives from COGIC, the CVB, the city and hotels and restaurants. COGIC every year kept wanting to "extort" for a lack of a better word more and more from the city, hotels and restaurants. Finally we said no more. They then started to go to other places starting with St. Louis. The people that subsidize these type of things, sometimes directly and sometimes indirectly, are hotel guests and restaurant customers throughout the rest of the year. That is primarily business travelers and local folks eating in restaurants. Also corporate sponsorship plays a big role as well. Without those factors a LOT of smaller bowls would not exist. 

Seminole Indian

Thanks for that insight.

One thing is for sure there is something hat makes these bowl games attractive.......... a least on the front end.

Inhogswetrust

March 31, 2015, 11:59:38 am #44 Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:15:25 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 31, 2015, 11:47:32 am
Thanks for that insight.

One thing is for sure there is something hat makes these bowl games attractive.......... a least on the front end.

Have you ever heard of a bowl game surviving in todays world and it NOT to be televised on some sort of TV network? Except for the big bowls it is ability of the TV media to fill time at a good price and make a good profit. Also the ability for a city to get something for nothing since someone else pays for it mostly. I don't blame the cities for doing so, it is free advertising almost!

On another thought in this discussion the majority of hotels and restaurants in a metro area don't care about bowls and even some conventions unless really big. Why? The reason is MOST in an area do not get enough marginal business from them to warrant the rest of their customers paying extra taxes.
I assure you IF even the best case scenario was to happen and WMS was full for a bowl game most hotels and restaurants would see no additional income from it or at most a negligible amount that wouldn't even be considered in budgeting for them. The reason is the sheer number of hotels and restaurants throughout the metro area. Hospitality businesses in Conway, Jacksonville, Benton, Bryant and other suburbs for example might not have ANYONE there for the bowl use their business. Gas stations and some fast food places in those cities that would possibly get SOME small amount of business. That being said LR would obviously gain the most with NLR getting a fair share as well. With bowls and conventions people want to stay as close to the facility and/or team or "tourist" area of the city as possible. I do commend CVB's and cities for trying to generate ANY extra business overall but it usually effects a small part of the hospitality business. Have you ever wondered why hotel companies want to have cites and government help fund convention centers and "entertainment" areas and even subsidize hotels in different ways. There are reason$......   

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 31, 2015, 11:59:38 am
Have you ever heard of a bowl game surviving in todays world and it NOT to be televised on some sort of TV network? Except for the big bowls it is ability of the TV media to fill time at a good price and make a good profit. Also the ability for a city to get something for nothing since someone else pays for it mostly. I don't blame the cities for doing so, it is free advertising almost!

On another thought in this discussion the majority of hotels and restaurants in a metro area don't care about bowls and even some conventions unless really big. Why? The reason is MOST in an area do not get enough marginal business from them to warrant the rest of their customers paying extra taxes.
I assure you IF even the best case scenario was to happen and WMS was full for a bowl game most hotels and restaurants would see no additional income from it or at most a negligible amount that wouldn't even be considered in budgeting for them. The reason is the sheer number of hotels and restaurants throughout the metro area. Hospitality businesses in Conway, Jacksonville, Benton, Bryant and other suburbs for example might not have ANYONE there for the bowl use their business. Gas stations and some fast food places in those cities that would possibly get SOME small amount of business. That being said LR would obviously gain the most with NLR getting a fair share as well. With bowls and conventions people want to stay as close to the facility and/or team or "tourist" area of the city as possible. I do commend CVB's and cities for trying to generate ANY extra business overall but it usually effects a small part of the hospitality business. Have you ever wondered why hotel companies want to have cites and government help fund convention centers and "entertainment" areas and even subsidize hotels in different ways. There are reason$......
I'm probably like most people and have not given much thought to the points you bring up, other than assuming that a game like this would have a positive effect on the local economy, or why else would they want it. Even if it were just cheap or free adverting I assumed they expected long term tangible benefits.

Did know that most schools that send teams to these bowls don't make much, if any money, but it does have a very positive impact on their fans, recruits and supporters, which does effect their bottom line in tangible ways.   

HSVhogfan2

The "get hammered on the golf course, take your shirt off, and drop F Bombs at everyone that walks by Bowl".
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 31, 2015, 03:40:01 pm
I'm probably like most people and have not given much thought to the points you bring up, other than assuming that a game like this would have a positive effect on the local economy, or why else would they want it. Even if it were just cheap or free adverting I assumed they expected long term tangible benefits.

Did know that most schools that send teams to these bowls don't make much, if any money, but it does have a very positive impact on their fans, recruits and supporters, which does effect their bottom line in tangible ways.   

Benefits are not long term unless it winds up being a bigger bowl and never is cancelled. Benifits are smaller than most think and don't carry over a long time. I think there are better ways for cities to get a better economic benefit. However that being said having a bowl game is a nice little thing to have. Just don't kid yourself about a great huge economic boost for a whole metro area.

Inhogswetrust

April 01, 2015, 08:38:59 am #48 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:49:19 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 31, 2015, 03:40:01 pm

I've read before where except the big bowls most schools LOSE money going to games. That loss is sometimes explained away by saying in the long run it benefits the athletic department by helping get recruits, more supporter money, marketing, etc. I'm sure there is some truth in that. So is it really a loss? Who knows. I guess it depends on how often they go and how much the supporters really support it. I'm betting if a team goes to smaller bowls only periodically it probably is a loss. Sometimes in all industries benefits are not in "real" dollars but other means and measures.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2015, 08:38:59 am
I've read before where except the big bowls most schools LOSE money going to games. That loss is sometimes explained away by saying in the long run it benefits the athletic department by helping get recruits, more supporter money, marketing, etc. I'm sure there is some truth in that. So is it really a loss? Who knows. I guess it depends on how often they go and how much the supporters really support it. I'm betting if a team goes to smaller bowls only periodically it probably is a loss. Sometimes in all industries benefits are not in "real" dollars but other means and measures.
Pretty sure A-State either lost a little or broke even in all their recent bowl games, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone up in this neck of the woods, that thinks going to those 4 games was not worth the cost.