Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all the upset fans about Arkansas losing in the first round

Started by Lanny, March 19, 2018, 07:14:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: Lanny on March 19, 2018, 07:14:02 am
Let's go back and look at the other teams losing in the NCAAT.  If your team is dependent on shooting 3's, when a team has a cold shooting night, nothing seems to look good.  The defense gives up shots, rebounding is lobsided.  Basketball is all about shooting the ball through the basket, when your team has a cold shooting night, that team generally loses.  As for the Arkansas vs. Butler game, Arkansas was cold as ice, couldn't get the shots to fall, rushed to fight back and took a lot of chances on defense that made the team look bad.

North Carolina, Virginia, Auburn...etc teams rated higher lost bad when they couldn't shoot.

One more thing, Could Kentucky have a easier path to the Final Four.   Geeze............

Three things: 

1. When you are cold you play fierce defense.

2.  In a new venue you run some offense before you start firing away, even if you have not done stuff like that before.

3. See point No. 1

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 08:34:21 am
Because we are easy to defend. Teams are daring us to try and attack the rim. They hedged out on all our guards because they were no threat to attack.

They are no threat to attack because they are not penetrating guards—not a one of them.  They are all 2 guards...

Imagine what Gafford could be if we had a penetrating guard like LSU...

Hoggish1

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 09:27:55 am
That's why Mike needs to fire an assistant and bring in someone who is a true check mate and devils advocate.  CMA doesn't need two or three more coaches sitting on the bench saying the same thing he is yelling.  He needs a disciplinarian who preaches fundamentals and watches film.  For real.  That seems to be the only thing that will save CMA's version of Hawgball.  That and a crazy recruiting class.   

Mike's assistants are like family, in fact one of them is.  So, there will be no changes.  The only way one or both of them leave is if Mike leaves.  I wish it didn't have to be that way...

HogBreath

Quote from: blu on March 19, 2018, 11:50:23 am

- we've come a LONG way from where we were when he got here.

But are we really that much ahead of where even Pelphrey had us?  And make no mistake, Pel's time here was bad all too often.

Pel's last team went 18-13, then Mike's first team went 18-14 and his year five team went 16-16. Advantage Pel on that small sample size.

I know Mike's had a couple of really good seasons, and overall, I'd give him a decided edge over Pel, but it's not like it's huge difference.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on March 19, 2018, 05:18:37 pm
But are we really that much ahead of where even Pelphrey had us?  And make no mistake, Pel's time here was bad all too often.

Pel's last team went 18-13, then Mike's first team went 18-14 and his year five team went 16-16. Advantage Pel on that small sample size.

I know Mike's had a couple of really good seasons, and overall, I'd give him a decided edge over Pel, but it's not like it's huge difference.

LOL. Pel had two 14 win seasons, his only good year was his 1st.Pel only had 1 season in 4 that he had a winning record in conference. Even in that 16-16 season MA still had a 9-9 conference record.  You cherrypick MA's worst two seasons for comparison? MA's worst season is still better than 2 of Pel's 4.

HawgWild

Here's my thinking: I thought the team I saw in the PK80 tournament would make a deep run in the NCAA. I saw more talent on this team than any other team in recent memory. I thought they played well together. Then came Houston. WTH! We pick it back up. Then LSU at home. WTH? It was always in the back of my mind that we were capable of not showing up against any team, on any night.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 05:25:22 pm
LOL. Pel had two 14 win seasons, his only good year was his 1st.Pel only had 1 season in 4 that he had a winning record in conference. Even in that 16-16 season MA still had a 9-9 conference record.  You cherrypick MA's worst two seasons for comparison? MA's worst season is still better than 2 of Pel's 4.

Pel's tourney win against Indiana eleven years ago is more impressive than anything Mike has done in the NCAA tournament in eight years of trying.  That's an incredibly sad statistic for what was once a very proud program.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

OkieBack

Quote from: HawgWild on March 19, 2018, 05:33:27 pm
Here's my thinking: I thought the team I saw in the PK80 tournament would make a deep run in the NCAA. I saw more talent on this team than any other team in recent memory. I thought they played well together. Then came Houston. WTH! We pick it back up. Then LSU at home. WTH? It was always in the back of my mind that we were capable of not showing up against any team, on any night.

Ditto.  PK80 team looked like gangbusters.  Consistency dropped way off shortly after that tourney.  The inconsistency is reflected in the missing parts.  If CMA hasn't gone out to get some better "parts" then the team will be right back here next year.  Or worse.  Whatever it takes to tighten the bolts...do it.  The only hope is the new players will be more fundamentally sound than the parting seniors.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 19, 2018, 05:41:47 pm
Pel's tourney win against Indiana eleven years ago is more impressive than anything Mike has done in the NCAA tournament in eight years of trying.  That's an incredibly sad statistic for what was once a very proud program.

Pelphrey is easily the worst coach in the last 40 years for Arkansas basketball. Acting like Pelphrey is better than MA because he won an 8-9 tournament matchup in his first year is stupid.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 10:11:57 am
I watched West Virginia put a hurt on Marshall last night. The entire game I kept thinking, man, they play our style better than we do, I wish we played like that. I was thoroughly entertained and they are in the Sweet 16.

Right.  Because they were hitting shots.  Why is this so damn hard to understand? 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Look, this team had seniors, but think about those "seniors".  4 were transfers, three were arrested at some point, and Thompson (Captain) is a really, really good dude who just happened to be the least talented guy on the roster.  Barford and Macon needed to be on the floor leaders--- but they weren't. 

But were you not entertained 23 times this season?

oldman1015

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 10:17:27 am
For a coach that "hangs his hat on defense and pressure" we sure suck at it.
We tire out from guarding them when they get off the bus.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

bphi11ips

Let's go back and look at the other teams losing in the NCAAT.  If your team is dependent on shooting 3's, when a team has a cold shooting night, nothing seems to look good.  The defense gives up shots, rebounding is lobsided.  Basketball is all about shooting the ball through the basket, when your team has a cold shooting night, that team generally loses.  As for the Arkansas vs. Butler game, Arkansas was cold as ice, couldn't get the shots to fall, rushed to fight back and took a lot of chances on defense that made the team look bad.

North Carolina, Virginia, Auburn...etc teams rated higher lost bad when they couldn't shoot.

One more thing, Could Kentucky have a easier path to the Final Four.   Geeze............

This is absolutely  right.  Butler shot 49% overall and 45% from three-point range.  Arkansas was 36% and 22% .  Butler outrebounded the Hogs by 20.  Those numbers were reversed against Florida in the SEC tournament. 

You never knew with this team which one would show up, but it usually only took a minute or two from the opening tip to figure it out. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Rbill

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 19, 2018, 06:45:19 pm
Look, this team had seniors, but think about those "seniors".  4 were transfers, three were arrested at some point, and Thompson (Captain) is a really, really good dude who just happened to be the least talented guy on the roster.  Barford and Macon needed to be on the floor leaders--- but they weren't. 

But were you not entertained 23 times this season?

Truth. The eyeball test still screams that we need leaders. Honestly this is not entirely on the players either. Coaches can empower on the floor leaders and teach them how to lead as well.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 10:11:57 am
I watched West Virginia put a hurt on Marshall last night. The entire game I kept thinking, man, they play our style better than we do, I wish we played like that. I was thoroughly entertained and they are in the Sweet 16.

So, now we are the 2nd fastest 40?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 19, 2018, 07:56:57 pm
So, now we are the 2nd fastest 40?

Unfortunately, no.

There are 5 or 6 teams that play faster.
This is my non-signature signature.

HogCzar1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:44:46 pm
How did it hurt the identity of the program. This is a program that as a 7 seed saw it's team be labeled the under dog by Vegas and most analysts. They already knew the identity of the program and they predicted the game accordingly.

What you said was true. However, many outside the state saw the past 2 years as an opportunity for Arkansas to finally make some noise on the national scene. Our loss vs. NC last year earned some degree of respect. With a Senior led team, there were many who thought we could make a legit run at the sweet 16 or beyond. The ease with which we were dispatched on Friday did us no favors in terms of a national perception that we were getting back onto the national stage. That, along with a painfully young team next year, will erase the thought of us getting back on that national stage anytime soon.

hoglady

I am actually more upset now than immediately after the game.

After the Gafford comment about thinking  "Butler would be easy" and then today hearing Beard say "they (Butler) just wanted it more".  WTH????
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

tconey1

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 01:25:15 pm
Not sure the current assistants aren't cutting it.  CMA needs an assistant from the outside who probably has never played/coached with him or Nolan.  CMA needs a fundamentals guy who could blend the talent recruited with fundamentally sound skills.  Some of the best coaching staffs in the history of sports were at each others' throats most of the time.  They have to be on the same page granted, but you can't just fill your staff with a bunch of yes men.  Discipline and quality control is what is needed badly here.  We got the chaos at times.  We just don't have the "controlled" chaos that befits Mike's style.

I think Coach K has a bunch of yes men as assistants!

tconey1

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 19, 2018, 06:28:06 pm
Right.  Because they were hitting shots.  Why is this so damn hard to understand? 

Because they actually run plays to get certain players in their favorite spot to shoot.  They dont do the weave out front and then someone jack up a contested three.  Huge difference!!

jchill

It seems like the hate for Mike Anderson is overshadowing reality. Jason Williams, one of the more respected basketball pundits stated this has been the most chaotic year in college basketball. Yes, we have had too many double-figure losses this year where the team looked lost, but other teams around the country suffered lopsided losses. Auburn, the regular season SEC champion loses by 31. Virginia, the overall number one seed loses by 20 to a number 16 seed. UNC gets blown out by A&M, and the list goes on. We have an excellent coach and we had a good team this year. The defense was not up to par, but the team played hard and gave their all. I am tired of the hate that is unwarranted against Mike Anderson. The man has turned this program around. This fan base ran off Hall of Fame coaches (Lou Holtz, Eddie Sutton, and Nolan Richardson) and very good coach and man in Ken Hatfield. That is why Dana Altman changed his mind. Mike Anderson is on the right track, but too many people are letting personal feelings get in the way of logical thinking.

Mjs84

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 19, 2018, 04:47:07 pm
I'm upset but not so much at Anderson. Something was wrong with our players. Barford seemed to have lost his ability to drive. Hell he was having trouble dribbling. Macon wouldn't take a shot. Beard tried to drive into a bunch of redwoods and was terrible on defense. Gafford looked like a deer in the headlights. Our overall defense was the worst and be seen all year for the first half anyway. I think they read to many headlines or didn't read the ones that had Butler being a pretty dang good team. The younger kids kept us in the game for awhile but that didn't last. Anderson ain't going anywhere until after next season so I will wait til then to female dog.

Its called lack of preparation.   After 7 years of road games there is only one man to blame.  That's right, same problem, 7 years.  Players cone and go, the same problem remains.  Lethargy, lack of preperation, poor leadership!  Don't act like this is something new!  Now, drink a gallon of bleach moron!

tconey1

Quote from: jchill on March 19, 2018, 08:57:19 pm
It seems like the hate for Mike Anderson is overshadowing reality. Jason Williams, one of the more respected basketball pundits stated this has been the most chaotic year in college basketball. Yes, we have had too many double-figure losses this year where the team looked lost, but other teams around the country suffered lopsided losses. Auburn, the regular season SEC champion loses by 31. Virginia, the overall number one seed loses by 20 to a number 16 seed. UNC gets blown out by A&M, and the list goes on. We have an excellent coach and we had a good team this year. The defense was not up to par, but the team played hard and gave their all. I am tired of the hate that is unwarranted against Mike Anderson. The man has turned this program around. This fan base ran off Hall of Fame coaches (Lou Holtz, Eddie Sutton, and Nolan Richardson) and very good coach and man in Ken Hatfield. That is why Dana Altman changed his mind. Mike Anderson is on the right track, but too many people are letting personal feelings get in the way of logical thinking.

The fan base didnt run Eddie, Nolan,or Altman off!  Eddie said he would crawl to kentucky so im sure the fan base had nothing to do with that.  Nolan could not get along with Frank so that wasnt going to work anymore.  Altman probably didnt even meet any fans before he bolted because of the mess Pelphrey left. I always felt the fans loved Hatfield so not sure about that one.  Ill give you Holtz though.

EastexHawg

We had two selfish guards who thought about leaving last year but decided to come back so they could improve their own draft stock.  They weren't interested in improving the team unless it involved always looking for their own shot.  You can blame that on the players, but who recruited them and allowed them to do it all year?

The same guy who brought back a counterfeiter as soon as he thought he could get away with it.  Coach Mediocrity.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 19, 2018, 04:47:07 pm
I'm upset but not so much at Anderson. Something was wrong with our players. Barford seemed to have lost his ability to drive. Hell he was having trouble dribbling. Macon wouldn't take a shot. Beard tried to drive into a bunch of redwoods and was terrible on defense. Gafford looked like a deer in the headlights. Our overall defense was the worst and be seen all year for the first half anyway. I think they read to many headlines or didn't read the ones that had Butler being a pretty dang good team. The younger kids kept us in the game for awhile but that didn't last. Anderson ain't going anywhere until after next season so I will wait til then to female dog.
Marijuana before the game?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Athog

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 09:27:55 am
That's why Mike needs to fire an assistant and bring in someone who is a true check mate and devils advocate.  CMA doesn't need two or three more coaches sitting on the bench saying the same thing he is yelling.  He needs a disciplinarian who preaches fundamentals and watches film.  For real.  That seems to be the only thing that will save CMA's version of Hawgball.  That and a crazy recruiting class.   

Sounds like you are describing a Head Coach!

Peter Porker

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 09:18:52 am
See, that is my issue. They lost Butler just like the lost to KY, UNC, Aub, A&M, Houston, LSU ( twice ), FLA, TN. Same exact way they have been losing since Mike got here really. Poor perimeter D, poor offensive movement, poor rebounding, and stupid fouls 75ft from the basket.

That's how CMA's team's have always lost even before he came to Arkansas.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=310080038

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=310290251
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

steveaustin69

You've had one too many strokes if you honestly believe that.

Pigsknuckles

Rebounds are life. Butler had us 41-23 on rebounds. On the offensive end, a rebound continues a possession and gives another opportunity for scoring. On the defensive side, rebounds take a possession away from the opponent, and denies them a scoring opportunity. When rebounds are lopsided in the opponents favor, it's always going to be a long day.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

steveaustin69

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 20, 2018, 07:42:39 am
Rebounds are life. Butler had us 41-23 on rebounds. On the offensive end, a rebound continues a possession and gives another opportunity for scoring. On the defensive side, rebounds take a possession away from the opponent, and denies them a scoring opportunity. When rebounds are lopsided in the opponents favor, it's always going to be a long day.

Yeah well we rank 196 in TRBPG and 261 in Rebounding Margin PG so seems like a constant issue.

riccoar

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 07:44:26 am
Yeah well we rank 196 in TRBPG and 261 in Rebounding Margin PG so seems like a constant issue.
Amazing people fail to recognize that regardless of what your team is built for, it still must have and perform basic fundamentals of the game.

Mellon Collie

the right track? aka the 'highly paid head coach continues to underperform in seventh year of tenure' track.

still confused on how any fan of the program can justify yet another early tourney exit at this point.

records don't lie.

Supermark101

I wouldn't put Virginia on that list. They don't take many 3 and only shoot about 30% for the year. They had to shoot more 3s than they like because UMBC was hitting 50% of there's. They lost because UMBC couldn't miss.

HF#1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 19, 2018, 07:58:04 pm
Unfortunately, no.

There are 5 or 6 teams that play faster.

Exactly. There are multiple teams that play our style better than we do which is one of the most frustrating things about Mike Anderson.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Mellon Collie on March 20, 2018, 08:03:46 am
the right track? aka the 'highly paid head coach continues to underperform in seventh year of tenure' track.

still confused on how any fan of the program can justify yet another early tourney exit at this point.

records don't lie.

He's not really high paid in comparison to other SEC coaches anymore. He's middle of the pack

Lanny

Anderson won't be leaving anytime soon.  Hope for the best and enjoy the ride
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

steveaustin69

Quote from: Lanny on March 20, 2018, 09:34:55 am

Going into year 8 and we're hoping!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 09:32:14 am
He's not really high paid in comparison to other SEC coaches anymore. He's middle of the pack

Fitting if true.  Wonder what some outsiders will think after this season.

Here is an opinion after last season:

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/ranking-sec-mens-basketball-head-coaches-2017-season

7. Mike Anderson, Arkansas
Career record: 328-172 (128-74)

Tourney appearances: 8 (2 at Arkansas)

Anderson is an average SEC basketball coach and probably nothing more. He finally got back to the tournament this spring, and his Razorbacks were seconds away from upsetting eventual champion North Carolina in the Round of 32. Arkansas performance has been inconsistent across his tenure at a relatively good basketball program. The expectation will be to string together tournament appearances in 2018.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: HogBreath on March 19, 2018, 05:18:37 pm

Yes it is

HotlantaHog

MA is a drastically better coach than Pel or Heath.

Is he elite? No.

Has Arkansas ever hired a proven elite coach when there was an opening? No.

Hoping for the best next year.

steveaustin69

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 20, 2018, 09:49:55 am
MA is a drastically better coach than Pel or Heath.

Is he elite? No.

Has Arkansas ever hired a proven elite coach when there was an opening? No.

Hoping for the best next year.

Reading this site is like going through an election cycle

OkieBack

Quote from: Lanny on March 20, 2018, 09:34:55 am

CMA doesn't have indefinite time at the UofA.  The basketball program with Mike is now where the football program was with Houston Nutt.  He has reached a certain level of expectation, but now can he get the program any further?  We saw in Petrino that much more could be accomplished by a different coach.  CMA just can't be bull headed.  He has to do what is best for the program whether its hiring/firing assistants or recruiting decent players.  But no one gets a free pass these days in collegiate sports. 

Unless there is true progress or it is shown CMA has recruited a hellluva ball team then he will start feeling the heat severely this time next year.  The program will only stay in neutral for so long without going forward.  So hopefully CMA can get it together and reach that level of expectation that all Hog fans have.  He is part of the reason that level of expectation is where it is today.  And he knows it.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: Mjs84 on March 19, 2018, 09:01:09 pm
Its called lack of preparation.   After 7 years of road games there is only one man to blame.  That's right, same problem, 7 years.  Players cone and go, the same problem remains.  Lethargy, lack of preperation, poor leadership!  Don't act like this is something new!  Now, drink a gallon of bleach moron!
Really Tina? The same goes for Bennett, Marshall and Williams I guess. Tough talking little smart ass ain't you.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 20, 2018, 12:57:53 pm
I thought that as well
I've read where dope smoking athletes believe you  can play better after having taken dope. Makes you more relaxed they say. I say they are totally fooling themselves. No way you can play with an edge and energy while high. I've never been high but I've seen people who are. They could no more compete athletically to their personal ability than an 85 yr old woman.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

31to6

It is not that they lost, it is *how* they lost.

Pretty much dominated by Butler.

Offense is a one-trick pony (as you mention).

Defense when trailing is dependent on the offense so they can set up the press--which is a very flawed strategy because when you are not scoring is *exactly* when you need your defense to be sound.

But, more important than everything, it was painfully obvious they had no gameplan to take away Butler's strengths and no plan B when Butler did *exactly* what everyone expected--which was to use their long, quick guards to harry our scorers.

I will give credit for the comeback, but they could not sustain it in the face of pretty generic sound basketball.

Ol' Mike was out-coached before the tip-off and his team was outplayed for most of the game.

redhogchilipepper

I've smoked it and played sports. You're correct it in no way Enhances your game. Unless the sport is bowling or knocking knees.

hogsanity

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 20, 2018, 12:49:12 pm
Really Tina? The same goes for Bennett, Marshall and Williams I guess. Tough talking little smart ass ain't you.

Mike's lack of prep for opponents is no secret. He has said they worry more about what they do than what the opponents like to do. Which is why any team with just an average PG or 2 decent 3 pt shooters gives the Hogs fits, because what the Hogs do gives those players too many opportunities to do what they do best.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 01:50:39 pm
Mike's lack of prep for opponents is no secret. He has said they worry more about what they do than what the opponents like to do. Which is why any team with just an average PG or 2 decent 3 pt shooters gives the Hogs fits, because what the Hogs do gives those players too many opportunities to do what they do best.
Y'all got me all wrong. I'm as upset with our results as anyone. I only pointed out the players issues during the Butler game. Didn't MA just receive a 2 year extension? He will be on the proverbial hot seat next year if these results continue. The Hunter will handle it I'm sure