Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is anyone disappointed in Trey Thompson's play?

Started by sasnakrafan, January 14, 2018, 09:20:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sasnakrafan

Im not sure if this is badmouthing, but I've been disappointed in his play this year. It appears that he's gained 10-15lbs and is not playing at the high level of play that he was this time last year. It honestly has been quite underwhelming. Passing, footwork, and conditioning are not what it was and I had high expectations for him. I hope he can get back to better condition by SEC tourney, but it doesn't appear likely.

BannerMountainMan

He has actually lost weight so that part is invalid and he is playing a bigger role this year, as Gafford is easier to get in foul trouble than Kingsley was, and he had a good game last night but yes he has regressed a bit, mostly when they switch on ball screens and he has to guard out front on the guard.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Piglet

Trey has always been the least athletic player on the team (excluding the walk-ons).  There are things he can do well because of his bulk and passing ability and some not so well because he lacks speed and quickness.  But he knows his role and plays within his ability. He will never be a player who swings a game, but he contributes.  Overall, I'm not disappointed with his play.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

Rbill

Honestly I think what looks bad is comparing him to Gafford who he is forced to replace every night. Really too bad for Trey. Play them together and let him show the guards how to pass to Gafford. Just once please.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Piglet on January 14, 2018, 10:00:45 pm
Trey has always been the least athletic player on the team (excluding the walk-ons).  There are things he can do well because of his bulk and passing ability and some not so well because he lacks speed and quickness.  But he knows his role and plays within his ability. He will never be a player who swings a game, but he contributes.  Overall, I'm not disappointed with his play.
Hogs up! Covid down!

3kgthog

Being disappointed would mean I expected something better to begin with. Watching him in high school led me to believe he'd be a bench player with little to contribute. With the exception of a few good passes over the years, that's held true.

hoglady

No - he does some really good things when on the floor and he understands the game, passing and team work better than most of our players. He is limited athletically but has a high basketball IQ.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Letsroll1200

His play has improved the past two games. He's just limited athletically conpared to some of the guys he's playing against in the SEC.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on January 15, 2018, 07:46:43 am
No - he does some really good things when on the floor and he understands the game, passing and team work better than most of our players. He is limited athletically but has a high basketball IQ.

What does he add?  A big body?  I guess but where are the 6 rpg and the 10 ppg and the tough inside defense he should be adding as a senior?   Sorry I do not agree.

But what I am most mad about is Mike not bringing in more 6'8 big physical athletic guys over the years to be playing now.  I do not see them.  What I see is 6'6 guys who are out matched physically in the paint by bigger more physical guys. 

I do not care if we sign big guys who do not score but 4 ppg as long as they can give us good minutes on the inside.  They can be 6'5 but the shorter they are then the thicker, meaner and better athlete they must be like Corlliss.  We need diversity on our roster.  We have too many skinny kids who can not add much value.   

We will never get far in the Tournament or win the SEC until we recruit more MEN on the inside.  Bank on it.   

onebadrubi

He should try out for either Left tackle or Right tackle on the football team.  We think he is slow or lacking footwork not the hardwood, I am not so sure the kid wouldn't be a great OT in college football.

razorpimp

Quote from: Rbill on January 14, 2018, 10:52:16 pm
Honestly I think what looks bad is comparing him to Gafford who he is forced to replace every night. Really too bad for Trey. Play them together and let him show the guards how to pass to Gafford. Just once please.

Yes, this would be an excellent idea!  High/low game with those two would be interesting, then ditch the press and play s half court extended zone on D.

Replace with Cook/Thomas

But Mikeocre refuses to try things outside of his comfort zone

rude1

Trey is being asked to do things defensively he should not be asked to do. Asking him to spend energy futilely switching ball screens 25' from the basket and attempting to chase the oppositions ball handlers is doing nothing but taking him out of the game, not nearly quick enough to do it effectively and using a lot of energy attempting to do so.

cjack

Thompson has struggled, but the move to put him up top against their distance shooters at the end of the game was a good move.  I don't see MA making many adjustments throughout a game, but that one was good.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Rbill on January 14, 2018, 10:52:16 pm

Amen. I hate that Gafford  gets in foul trouble and that we have to alternate them to keep size on the floor. I'd love to see Trey's passing ability on the floor with Gafford.

alohawg

Oliver Miller was bigger, more mobile, motivated and a better passer with huge hands. Trey could improve immensely by improving motivation/effort/intensity/focus.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc