Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Funny how things turn out . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, January 12, 2018, 12:25:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

January 12, 2018, 12:25:11 pm Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:40:12 pm by WizardofhOgZ
I was among those bitterly disappointed when Michigan abruptly cancelled their home-and-home series with us a couple of years ago. After all, we'd only played Michigan once (losing to the future GOAT Tom Brady in the Capitol 1 Bowl following the 1998 season), and never at either "The Big House", or in the state or Arkansas. By the first game of that series (this upcoming season) - or, so it was thought - Bielema and company would have recruited/developed a full complement of road graders and the Hogs would be ready to face anyone.

Fast forward to today, and it's a blessing that Michigan dumped us to pick up a home-and home with one of their on again/off again rivals: Notre Dame. Instead, Arkansas will now play an FCS team (E. Illinois) that they have a much better chance of defeating in a season where wins will likely be hard to find. And, by 2020 (when, ironically, the Razorbacks will start a home-and-home series with Notre Dame as well), perhaps the Hogs will be ready to compete with them.

PlanoHog

SuperDave, you and I need to have lunch in Addison to discuss this and other theories.
The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

lumphog

3kgthog

I think even a Bielema led Hog team could've beaten Michigan. Just as some here predicted, Harbaugh's wearing out his welcome much like he did in San Fran. The cracks are starting to show.

SooieGeneris

Actually, Col. St. was the replacement for Michigan, that's why we are playing at their place in 2018. As far as ciphering who will be really tough in any future year, keep in mind that ND had just finished a 4-8 season a year ago, same as we were this year.

They had lost Kizer to the NFL with a years eligibility left, so things weren't looking all that good there this time last year.

Other than just a handful of schools, it is hard to figure. Imagine a team that scheduled 'Bama when Shula or DuBose was still there and had to play Saban..

The reverse can happen also. With Cajun Ed meddling in the offense and running off OCs, LSU may nosedive to depths not seen there since before Saban. They can point to the talent level, but the talent was there in the 90s also, they still were an up and down .500 team due to inept coaching.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

HawgwildinMI

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 14, 2018, 01:49:47 am
I think even a Bielema led Hog team could've beaten Michigan. Just as some here predicted, Harbaugh's wearing out his welcome much like he did in San Fran. The cracks are starting to show.
I agree. After 3 seasons its apparent he is not even the best coach in the state of Michigan.

HawgwildinMI

As for the Michigan game my dream of seeing the Hogs obliterate the Weasels in the "Big House" were destroyed.

Hogarusa

Would have been awesome to watch a game at the big house, win or lose
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

NorthDallas40

Quote from: PlanoHog on January 12, 2018, 12:29:21 pm
SuperDave, you and I need to have lunch in Addison to discuss this and other theories.
I would join too and even let you guys pick up the tab. I was at the Michigan game in Orlando. Brady must have thrown 20 ten yard outs we couldn't defend. To Streets maybe?

WizardofhOgZ

Hawghiggs

I hope Notre Dame cancels. We need to be doing home and home with teams we have and advantage over. Like Indiana, Illinois, Kansas , BYU, or a Boston College.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 17, 2018, 10:07:05 pm
  I hope Notre Dame cancels. We need to be doing home and home with teams we have and advantage over. Like Indiana, Illinois, Kansas , BYU, or a Boston College.
I think we should be doing home and homes with SMU, Houston, and Rice. Teams that would increase our presence in Texas.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 17, 2018, 10:57:49 pm
I think we should be doing home and homes with SMU, Houston, and Rice. Teams that would increase our presence in Texas.

That's not a bad idea.

LZH

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 17, 2018, 10:07:05 pm

Which is why we should join the Sunbelt.

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 17, 2018, 10:57:49 pm

Not sure how many 4 star players are gonna pay any attention to a game with Rice.

Al Boarland

There is really no value in scheduling big name teams if you aren't a perennial contender and I'm not even sure that matters if you are a subset of teams.  The perception of the program will be measured by the number or wins.  It doesn't matter who is played.  Look at MS State.  They set up as easy a schedule as they can every year and the perception of their program has been consistently positive.

To the OP's point, this is a great schedule for CCM to hit the ground running and win a few games while he scratches and claws to upgrade the talent on the roster.  Hopefully Yurachek understands the above.