Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Common SEC Opponents for last 2 coaches

Started by gchamblee, April 05, 2017, 05:36:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Common SEC Opponents for Past 2 Coaches

Petrino at Arkansas:
2-2 vs LSU (-18 Margin) (-4.5 Margin Per Game)
0-4 vs Bama (-91 Margin)
(-22.75 Margin Per Game)
2-2 vs Ole Miss (+4 Margin) (+1 Margin Per Game)
3-1 vs Auburn (+29 Margin) (+7.25 Margin Per Game)
3-1 vs Miss St (+52 Margin) (+13 Margin Per Game)
0-2 vs Florida (-34 Margin) (-17 Margin Per Game)
1-0 vs Tennessee (+42 Margin)
1-1 vs Georgia (-4 Margin) (-2 Margin Per Game)
3-1 vs South Carolina (+41 Margin) (+10.25 Margin Per Game)

Bielema at Arkansas:
2-2 vs LSU (+2 Margin) (+0.5 Margin Per Game)
0-4 vs Bama (-85 Margin)
(-21.25 Margin Per Game)
3-1 vs Ole Miss (+25 Margin) (+6.25 Margin Per Game)
1-3 vs Auburn (-87 Margin) (-21.75 Margin Per Game)
1-3 vs Miss St (+1 Margin) (+0.25 Margin Per Game)
1-1 vs Florida (+1 Margin) (+0.5 Margin Per Game)
1-0 vs Tennessee (+4 Margin)
0-1 vs Georgia (-13 Margin)
0-1 vs South Carolina (-45 Margin)

I don't think you can look at our schedule and claim anyone is an automatic loss/win except Bama under Saban. Bielema has done better against Bama and LSU than Petrino did, but Petrino has done better against others than Bielema has. All games seem to be winnable by us except Bama and man I hope that changes soon.

bennyl08

The MSU thing is frustrating.

1-3 record against them under Bielema, yet we have a +1 net score.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 05, 2017, 05:43:58 pm

Yep. Dak was a beast but we should have beaten him at least once. Field Goal blocking is important.

woodhog14

Dak affect.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It was that guy over in Dallas now... He was better than we all thought.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: gchamblee on April 05, 2017, 05:47:28 pm
Yep. Dak was a beast but we should have beaten him at least once. Field Goal blocking is important.
Having a decent special teams unit could've won us 2 or 3 more games that year. Its been such a weakness under bielema and he STILL hasn't done anything about it
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgXi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 06, 2017, 08:33:31 am
Having a decent special teams unit could've won us 2 or 3 more games that year. Its been such a weakness under bielema and he STILL hasn't done anything about it

having zach hocker around one more year coulda added +3 wins imo

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 06, 2017, 08:33:31 am

And the truly scary part is they haven't even figured out who's going to be responsible for special teams on the new staff. CBB is handling it through spring and hoping to hire the 10th assistant as a special teams guy. Til then it seems like it isn't a huge priority. And that's kinda scary.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 06, 2017, 09:03:50 am
And the truly scary part is they haven't even figured out who's going to be responsible for special teams on the new staff. CBB is handling it through spring and hoping to hire the 10th assistant as a special teams guy. Til then it seems like it isn't a huge priority. And that's kinda scary.

Hell..! Hire "Hot Piss" back.!! Dude could coach up some special teams...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

gchamblee

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 06, 2017, 10:53:34 am

I don't think it is safe for him to be on the sideline of a hogs game ever again :)

NuttinItUp

theFlyingHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 06, 2017, 01:11:34 pm
FIFY
You can get into semantics if you want but for any serious discussion that year may as well have never happened

jcbville

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 06, 2017, 10:53:34 am

Hate to admit it but the crazy bastard could coach some special teams.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 05, 2017, 05:36:13 pm

Petrino at Arkansas:
0-4 vs Bama (-91 Margin)
(-22.75 Margin Per Game)

Bielema at Arkansas:
0-4 vs Bama (-85 Margin)
(-21.25 Margin Per Game)

I don't think you can look at our schedule and claim anyone is an automatic loss/win except Bama under Saban. Bielema has done better against Bama and LSU than Petrino did, but Petrino has done better against others than Bielema has. All games seem to be winnable by us except Bama and man I hope that changes soon.

Dang, Bama does not care who our coach is. Butt kicking almost every year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 05, 2017, 05:47:28 pm

Dak is special.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Mike_e

Quote from: jcbville on April 06, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
Hate to admit it but the crazy bastard could coach some special teams.

That's because he WAS special.

Bless his heart.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

GoHogs#1

Go Hogs

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GoHogs#1 on April 08, 2017, 07:51:05 pm
Why no A&M on the list?

Probably because they were not in the sec during petrino time here.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 08, 2017, 08:17:53 pm
Probably because they were not in the sec during petrino time here.
They are still a common opponent though.

gchamblee

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 12, 2017, 10:37:06 am
They are still a common opponent though.

Those who want to throw shade at CBB use his SEC record as ammunition. I compare common SEC opponents and now you are whining about a non SEC opponent being left out. There was nothing common about them. Petrino faced aTm with a different coach and in a different conference with inferior recruiting. The title of the thread plainly says Common SEC Opponents

If I were trying to be dishonest I would have left South Carolina off the list.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: gchamblee on April 12, 2017, 10:40:15 am
Those who want to throw shade at CBB use his SEC record as ammunition. I compare common SEC opponents and now you are whining about a non SEC opponent being left out. There was nothing common about them. Petrino faced aTm with a different coach and in a different conference with inferior recruiting. The title of the thread plainly says Common SEC Opponents

If I were trying to be dishonest I would have left South Carolina off the list.

It just seems like not including all common opponents leaves some information out.

But, it is your thread. You can compare whatever opponents you like. No worries.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 05, 2017, 08:32:36 pm
It was that guy over in Dallas now... He was better than we all thought.

Yep he is a beast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Not many are throwing shade at CBB. He does that plenty himself with the on the field performances we have had in some games.  Majority on here including myself want him to succeed, but some on here accuse us of hating him because we question some of the things he has done.

gchamblee

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 12, 2017, 10:48:53 am
It just seems like not including all common opponents leaves some information out.

But, it is your thread. You can compare whatever opponents you like. No worries.

No worries man. If I sounded harsh I didn't mean for it to. I just wanted to look at common SEC opponents to see how we are doing with our most recent coaches. aTm really is a different animal now than they were when Petrino was here, but we sure do seem to be snakebit when it comes to them. I am hoping this year is the year we get that monkey off our back. I do remember the game where they got up on us pretty big and how exciting it was to watch us come back when they collapsed in the second half. They couldn't cover the middle of the field and Tyler destroyed them going over the middle. It was a thing of beauty.

gchamblee

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 12, 2017, 12:01:12 pm
Not many are throwing shade at CBB. He does that plenty himself with the on the field performances we have had in some games.  Majority on here including myself want him to succeed, but some on here accuse us of hating him because we question some of the things he has done.

Those of us that support him see the same errors you guys see, we just analyze them differently. We are all on the same team and we all want to win. I can only speak for myself, but my support of CBB is not unconditional and can easily vanish, but for now I am more forgiving of the problems due to what I think the causes of the problems are and the actions I have seen in correcting them. However, my patience is not for everyone and I can understand why some are losing their patience with him.

gchamblee

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 12, 2017, 12:01:12 pm

Also, there are a handful of posters here who really are unfair in their criticism of him and they make it obvious that they refuse to give him a chance, while others that are critical are more fair in their criticism. Not every egg fits comfortably into the same basket. It is easy to just lump everyone into the same group even though that is often unfair to the poster.

gchamblee

Other threads that were great threads discussing great topics have been locked because of the arguments that ensued, me being one of the guilty parties in those. Lets let this thread remain open and avoid the ugly side that gets them locked. I will temper my responses in an effort to cultivate civility in topics such as this.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: gchamblee on April 12, 2017, 12:02:08 pm
No worries man. If I sounded harsh I didn't mean for it to. I just wanted to look at common SEC opponents to see how we are doing with our most recent coaches. aTm really is a different animal now than they were when Petrino was here, but we sure do seem to be snakebit when it comes to them. I am hoping this year is the year we get that monkey off our back. I do remember the game where they got up on us pretty big and how exciting it was to watch us come back when they collapsed in the second half. They couldn't cover the middle of the field and Tyler destroyed them going over the middle. It was a thing of beauty.

True, true.

We need to turn the 5-year losing streak in the Aggie series around for sure. It is the one that annoys me the most out of any opponent we play.

HiggiePiggy

Really it comes down to the second half.  Last year was the worst second half seasons we have had in awhile.  In 4 years we are in the 100s in 3 of those years with Brandon allens last year being in the 60s.  I don't know why we seem to lose focus in the second half, but that has been an issue for awhile. We have been a pretty good first half team.

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 12, 2017, 12:02:08 pm
aTm really is a different animal now than they were when Petrino was here

They aren't a "different animal" in any real sense.  Yes, they had Johnny Football and Myles Garrett when we played them as an SEC opponent, but they had Ryan Tannehill and Von Miller during the Petrino days.  A&M didn't magically transform into an exponentially better program as soon as the papers granting them SEC membership were signed.

It's funny that Sumlin is considered a drunk underachiever and choker who is presiding over a dumpster fire in College Station...until the subject of playing us arises.  Then he suddenly becomes a difference maker, so much better than the previous coach...who, by the way, made four playoff appearances and won three straight division titles in the NFL before going to A&M...that he is the reason we can't beat them.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2017, 09:19:26 am
They aren't a "different animal" in any real sense.  Yes, they had Johnny Football and Myles Garrett when we played them as an SEC opponent, but they had Ryan Tannehill and Von Miller during the Petrino days.  A&M didn't magically transform into an exponentially better program as soon as the papers granting them SEC membership were signed.

It's funny that Sumlin is considered a drunk underachiever and choker who is presiding over a dumpster fire in College Station...until the subject of playing us arises.  Then he suddenly becomes a difference maker, so much better than the previous coach...who, by the way, made four playoff appearances and won three straight division titles in the NFL before going to A&M...that he is the reason we can't beat them.

The only differences between the A&M of petrino and the A&M of today is how many more mistakes we make against them in the second half. 

gchamblee

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2017, 09:19:26 am

aTm Record....

Bielema:
SEC Membership
2016 - 8-5
2015 - 8-5
2014 - 8-5
2013 - 9-4
--------------------
33-19

2012 - 11-2 (Inaugural year in SEC)

Petrino:
B12 Conference Membership
2011 - 7-6
2010 - 9-4
2009 - 6-7
2008 - 4-8
--------------------
26-25

This looks like a different animal to me

HiggiePiggy

The only huge difference is we don't beat them anymore and it isn't because they have been way better than us.  It's been because we have shot ourselves in the foot. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 16, 2017, 04:50:21 pm
aTm Record....

Bielema:
SEC Membership
2016 - 8-5
2015 - 8-5
2014 - 8-5
2013 - 9-4
--------------------
33-19

2012 - 11-2 (Inaugural year in SEC)

Petrino:
B12 Conference Membership
2011 - 7-6
2010 - 9-4
2009 - 6-7
2008 - 4-8
--------------------
26-25

This looks like a different animal to me

Subtract out their games against us and from 2009 through 2011 they were 22-14 (.611).  From 2013 through 2016 they would be 29-19 (.604).

That's what going 4-0 against an opponent as opposed to 0-3 can do for your winning percentage.

gchamblee

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 16, 2017, 08:24:13 pm
Subtract out their games against us and from 2009 through 2011 they were 22-14 (.611).  From 2013 through 2016 they would be 29-19 (.604).

That's what going 4-0 against an opponent as opposed to 0-3 can do for your winning percentage.

why did you ignore the 2008 season but count CBB's first year against him? In fact, why are you taking factual numbers I posted and making excuses for them, the very thing that makes you mad when people do it for CBB lol?

lefty08

Quote from: gchamblee on April 17, 2017, 01:20:45 am
why did you ignore the 2008 season but count CBB's first year against him? In fact, why are you taking factual numbers I posted and making excuses for them, the very thing that makes you mad when people do it for CBB lol?
I'd like to hear the answer to this as well
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 17, 2017, 01:20:45 am

Did we play them in 2008?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 08:45:00 am

Different coaches for TAM during that time. Sumlin didn't arrive until 2012 and one reason he did arrive is due to them losing big games.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 09:07:19 am
Different coaches for TAM during that time. Sumlin didn't arrive until 2012 and one reason he did arrive is due to them losing big games.

Since we didn't play them in 2008 what they did then is irrelevant.  All I did was point out how they did against everyone else on their schedule(s) during the years they played the Hogs.  .611 in 2009-2011 vs. .604 from 2013-2016 doesn't scream "they are a completely different animal" to me.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 09:19:54 am
Since we didn't play them in 2008 what they did then is irrelevant.  All I did was point out how they did against everyone else on their schedule(s) during the years they played the Hogs.  .611 in 2009-2011 vs. .604 from 2013-2016 doesn't scream "they are a completely different animal" to me.

Sumlin arrived in 2012. The year they came into the SEC. Sherman had them from 2008 to 2011 and they were playing in the B12. I would say a .604 in the SEC is superior to the .611 in the B12.

Under Sherman we consistently out recruited them (Rivals). Only by a few spots though. Once Sumlin arrived our classes never came close to being as high as theirs.

Sherman's conference record: (overall) [Did we win?]

2008 = 2-6 (4-8) [DNP]
2009 = 3-5 (6-7 ) [W +28] CBP
2010 = 6-2 (9-4 ) [W +7] CBP
2011 = 4-5 (7-6 ) [W +4] CBP

Sumlin:

2012 = 6-2 (11-2) [L -48] JLS
2013 = 4-4 (9-4) [L -12] CBB
2014 = 3-5 (8-5) [L -7 OT] CBB
2015 = 4-4 (8-5) [L -7 OT] CBB
2016 = 4-4 (8-5) [L -21] CBB

EastexHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 10:30:03 am
Sumlin arrived in 2012. The year they came into the SEC. Sherman had them from 2008 to 2011 and they were playing in the B12. I would say a .604 in the SEC is superior to the .611 in the B12.

Under Sherman we consistently out recruited them (Rivals). Only by a few spots though. Once Sumlin arrived our classes never came close to being as high as theirs.

Sherman's conference record: (overall) [Did we win?]

2008 = 2-6 (4-8) [DNP]
2009 = 3-5 (6-7 ) [W +28] CBP
2010 = 6-2 (9-4 ) [W +7] CBP
2011 = 4-5 (7-6 ) [W +4] CBP

Sumlin:

2012 = 6-2 (11-2) [L -48] JLS
2013 = 4-4 (9-4) [L -12] CBB
2014 = 3-5 (8-5) [L -7 OT] CBB
2015 = 4-4 (8-5) [L -7 OT] CBB
2016 = 4-4 (8-5) [L -21] CBB

A&M built whatever rep they have by beating Alabama five years ago.  Since that 2012 season they have a losing record in the SEC (15-17).  Subtract out their games against us and they are 11-17 in conference.  They aren't an elite, or even a really good, football program no matter how much better it makes us feel to claim they are.

Try looking over their schedules the last four years and point out their most impressive win.  I can't find one.  The really good teams they have played have beaten them and it typically hasn't been close.  Alabama has beaten the Aggies by an average margin of 26 points over the last four years and LSU is 4-0 against them with a typical margin of more than two TDs.

A&M has done the same thing in the last four years of SEC play that they did in the Big 12...beat the weak to mediocre teams and lose to the top programs.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 10:57:09 am
A&M built whatever rep they have by beating Alabama five years ago.  Since that 2012 season they have a losing record in the SEC (15-17).  Subtract out their games against us and they are 11-17 in conference.  They aren't an elite, or even a really good, football program no matter how much better it makes us feel to claim they are.

Try looking over their schedules the last four years and point out their most impressive win.  I can't find one.  The really good teams they have played have beaten them and it typically hasn't been close.  Alabama has beaten the Aggies by an average margin of 26 points over the last four years and LSU is 4-0 against them with a typical margin of more than two TDs.

A&M has done the same thing in the last four years of SEC play that they did in the Big 12...beat the weak to mediocre teams and lose to the top programs.

Pretty much agree with what you are saying.

Sherman proved he could not win. Sumlin has improved their recruiting classes but cannot translate this into top rankings. His teams have only ended the season in the Top 20 twice.

Some things in history never change:

TAM will mostly underachieve,
Hogs will mostly overachieve.

Been that way since the SWC days.

jabberjawls

Quote from: gchamblee on April 05, 2017, 05:36:13 pm

Petrino at Arkansas:
0-4 vs Bama (-91 Margin)
(-22.75 Margin Per Game)

Bielema at Arkansas:
0-4 vs Bama (-85 Margin)
(-21.25 Margin Per Game)

Is the point of your post to try and convince people that CBB is as good as CBP? HA HA!

Letsroll1200

2-6 vs Auburn and Miss State under Bret.
6-2 under Bobby. That's the difference between a high level program and a low tier program.

goodguytex

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on April 17, 2017, 05:54:21 pm
If CBB wrecks a bike with a blonde on the back it will be his wife, not a side piece.

And if it is a side piece -- and he gets canned -- The Program won't disintegrate like the house of cards it was.

That's the difference between a leader and, ahem, "not."
You aren't fooling anyone Zeke. Everyone know Petrino is your hero!  ;)

gchamblee

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 08:45:00 am

it doesnt matter. im displaying the difference between them in the B12 and them in the SEC. You are trying to manipulate the stats to show that they are the same team when in fact they are not. i really dont care what mental gymnastics you need to perform for your own security. i was just showing the numbers.

gchamblee

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 17, 2017, 03:38:36 pm
Is the point of your post to try and convince people that CBB is as good as CBP? HA HA!

no, the point of my post was to show some numbers and let you draw your own conclusions. if you dont like the numbers then present your alternate truth as so many others do around here.

gchamblee

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 17, 2017, 05:19:50 pm
2-6 vs Auburn and Miss State under Bret.
6-2 under Bobby. That's the difference between a high level program and a low tier program.

CBB did better against LSU, Bama and Ole Miss that CBP did, but you ignore those and pick the 2 that CBP did better against and claim those are the measuring stick for high quality teams. the results re what they are, regardless of how you try to manipulate them.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: gchamblee on April 18, 2017, 11:41:53 am
CBB did better against LSU, Bama and Ole Miss that CBP did, but you ignore those and pick the 2 that CBP did better against and claim those are the measuring stick for high quality teams. the results re what they are, regardless of how you try to manipulate them.

As far as win/loss no he didn't do better except for ole miss. 

lefty08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 18, 2017, 12:04:19 pm
As far as win/loss no he didn't do better except for ole miss.

I'm convinced you need to be on Crack to understand that sentence. So did he or didn't he?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged