Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with the Little Red

Started by Juboar, July 12, 2006, 07:56:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Juboar

I'm heading to the Little Red and Greer's Ferry for the weekend.  I fished the Little Red several years ago while on a golf trip and had a great time.  We walked in at Wildcat Showls (sp)  as I recall. 
A few questions:
Is it still open for public walk in?
Catch and release zone this time of year?
Barbless hooks and artifical only?
Recommended bait? 
Is there a good stretch of river with a take out for a canoe / kayak or wade fish only? 

Any help will be appreciated.  I'm taking my son and plan to trout fish in the morning and spend the afternoons on the lake. 

Swino

I'm not an expert on the Red, but will you be fly fishing or fishing with a spin caster?

Juboar

I will be fishing with a spin caster-  I'm a better boat, float and drink fisherman than a true trout fisherman.

I have vowed to become more proficient with a fly rod and do  admire the true trout enthusiast, but I can't figure out where they set their beer.   

Swino

I have fished the red a few times and you can't go wrong with power eggs(the string of pearls kind), corn, rooster tails, and countdown rapalas.  I'm sure somebody else on here can give you the better locations to fish.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Hey Juboar, I guide on the Little Red out of Lindsey's Resort, I'm looking at a map of the river right now and I don't see a Wildcat Shoal any where.  The map I'm using goes from JFK Park, right below the dam, to Ramsey Access, 5 miles below Pangburn.  Are you going to be around Heber Springs?  I do most of my fishing from Beech Island to Ritchey Shoal, about a 6.5 mile stretch of water.  What has been doing the best for years on the Little Red is a Carolina rig,  #8 or #10 hook and Wax Worms and Marshmallows.  Run the worn up on the line and cover your whole hook with a mini marshmallow.  If the water comes up you can drift, I don't like to drift, or you can troll with a rainbow colored rapalla, or work the banks with a maribu jig, I like black, seems like to brownies do too.  Wish I could help you with Wildcat Shoals but I just don't know where that is.  Good Luck!!!!!!!!

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Juboar

Thunderhog -- Thanks for the pointers.  Its been awhile since I fished there.  No wonder you haven't heard of Wildcat Shoals- i think thats on the White.  It's Cow shoals that I was trying to think of.   I found some good info on the Game and Fish page. 
This is a "whole family trip" with inlaws so my trout fishing will be limited to the early morning or I would love to hook up with you for a full day trip.  I'll be back-  thanks,  juboar

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Juboar on July 12, 2006, 01:48:42 pm
Thunderhog -- Thanks for the pointers.  Its been awhile since I fished there.  No wonder you haven't heard of Wildcat Shoals- i think that's on the White.  It's Cow shoals that I was trying to think of.   I found some good info on the Game and Fish page. 
This is a "whole family trip" with in laws so my trout fishing will be limited to the early morning or I would love to hook up with you for a full day trip.  I'll be back-  thanks,  juboar

Cow Shoals is in the area I like to fish, also known as The Second Shoal for tourists,  I guide to help my friend Billy Lindsey out, that's the only reason.  If you just want to go fish sometime, that's the way I prefer to do it, just a couple of guys having fun catching fish, no money involved.  Too much pressure and work guiding, I usually get a rookie or someone who thinks they are God's gift to fishing and won't listen.  Early morning is the best time, I'm usually on the water this time of year by 5:45 and fish till 10:30 or 11:00, then get out of the heat until the afternoon.  If you are in a boat look for the deep holes, stay away from the mossy areas you'll stay tangled up there.  I've got a cabin there and am there almost every weekend, if you get a notion to fish PM me and I'll give you the details.  Gotta a wedding to go to this weekend in Benton so I'll be in and out.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Buff

sowbugs were it last time i fished the Little Red......if you're not using flies, I cant help you though.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on July 12, 2006, 02:04:31 pm
Quote from: Juboar on July 12, 2006, 01:48:42 pm
Thunderhog -- Thanks for the pointers.  Its been awhile since I fished there.  No wonder you haven't heard of Wildcat Shoals- i think that's on the White.  It's Cow shoals that I was trying to think of.   I found some good info on the Game and Fish page. 
This is a "whole family trip" with in laws so my trout fishing will be limited to the early morning or I would love to hook up with you for a full day trip.  I'll be back-  thanks,  juboar

Cow Shoals is in the area I like to fish, also known as The Second Shoal for tourists,  I guide to help my friend Billy Lindsey out, that's the only reason.  If you just want to go fish sometime, that's the way I prefer to do it, just a couple of guys having fun catching fish, no money involved.  Too much pressure and work guiding, I usually get a rookie or someone who thinks they are God's gift to fishing and won't listen.  Early morning is the best time, I'm usually on the water this time of year by 5:45 and fish till 10:30 or 11:00, then get out of the heat until the afternoon.  If you are in a boat look for the deep holes, stay away from the mossy areas you'll stay tangled up there.  I've got a cabin there and am there almost every weekend, if you get a notion to fish PM me and I'll give you the details.  Gotta a wedding to go to this weekend in Benton so I'll be in and out.

Thunder I am gonna take you up sometime on a trip on the River. Like I have said in the past, I have never done much good on the Little Red so you'll have to show me there are actually fish on that place. I know where Cow Shoals is. You go past the road my grandpa lives on before you get to Cow Shoals. I have never fished Cow Shoals though so I am no help to ya.

Razorjacks

I like it below swinging bridge, and then on down to Lobo. I catch bigger fish around Lobo.