Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stetson's on the White River

Started by JJHog, June 20, 2006, 03:44:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

anyone been? first timer thinkig about going fishin' there.
" Think Right, Do Right"

pigaholic

I've been once.  It is very nice.  The only thing is that it snowed about 3 inches the night we got there so we had to freeze our hands off to fish.  I would recommend it if it doesn't snow.

Juboar

Nice place with a great stretch of river up or down stream.   Easy boat ride up to Gaston's which has the only full service bar on the river.  Good wade fishing or float fishing.  If you use a boat don't get to far downstream unless you know the generator schedule.  If they cut it back you may find yourself pulling your boat back to Stetson's.   Good luck!

JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT

It's a nice place to stay, JJ. It is located on one of the best stretches of river to fish, whether you bait fish or fly fish, but tends to get a bit crowded when the weather is nice.  Have fun and watch for rising water!   

SultanofSwine

You do realize there is a hunting and fishing forum here right? Just pointing it out because I didn't realize it was there for a long time myself. Good luck on the fishin trip.

sitting out

Started staying at stetson's as a kid 18 years ago. We liked it so much my family built a home about 400 yds upriver from stetson's 6 years ago. Use the guide service for your first trip even if for 1 day. Expensive, but worth the cost. Plenty of great wading or bank fishing on low water if you don't use a guide. Fly-fishing I like a green woolly bugger with red head. With light tackle I use red worms thrown in the current. My wife and young children catch plenty of fish from the bank using yellow power eggs. Look for the deeper water within the fast water. My father has been there for the past 5 nights, they are running a little water every afternoon. Caught a 4 lb Brown just upriver from stetson's on Memorial weekend.

Jim Harris

Quote from: JJHog on June 20, 2006, 03:44:51 pm
anyone been? first timer thinkig about going fishin' there.

I went once and I loved it, though I had no idea how to trout fish and didn't get a bite. We basically just went up and down the river, hung out at the cabins, played music around a fire and the other typical things groups do on trips like this. We also drove around somewhere to get to the other side to Gaston's to eat Sunday brunch. Incredible spread.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Snort and Squeal

Great place with great fishing.  The guide is worth the money for at least the first time or two but if you choose not to pay for a guide then watch the river.  If the water is low then you want to stay close.  You will find a good hole just down river from the dock and typically the biggens are ricked up in those few good holes when the water is down.  When the water is generating, up river has some great drift fishing.  Good luck!
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

mountainhog

I know some guides who are cheaper than the outfitters.  If your interested ,pm me. Ive lived  close to the river all my life.  Most of the independents are former guides of the docks and outfitters . 

Snort and Squeal

Quote from: mountainhog on July 05, 2006, 12:02:16 am
I know some guides who are cheaper than the outfitters.  If your interested ,pm me. Ive lived  close to the river all my life.  Most of the independents are former guides of the docks and outfitters . 

Yeah, I have used a John R..... that lived near Yellville around Crooked Creek before.  He was very good!  Full of BS but very good!
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!