Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop the Fire Altman Posts

Started by WilsonHog, April 02, 2007, 10:46:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

April 02, 2007, 10:46:57 am Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:49:03 am by WilsonHog
Dana Altman didn't hold a gun to Frank Broyles head and demand to be hired at UA.

The decision to hire him was made by the athletic director and approved by the chancellor and the system president. If you don't like it, your gripe is with them, not Altman.

Two weeks ago most everyone was screaming "Fire Heath!" myself included. So we fired a coach who had own 20 games in consecutive seasons and made two trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Then most everyone was screaming, "Let JFB make the hire! No committee!" myself included.

Well, JFB fired Heath and he made the hire, just like most everyone wanted.

He also pursued some big name coaches who weren't interested.

We've already garnered the reputation in the media as a fan base that has, to paraphrase, slipped over the edge and is frothing at the mouth. Don't compound it by calling for Coach Altman to be fired before he signs his first recruit, makes his first Razorback Club meeting, or coaches his first game. That's low class.

Dana Altman is very shortly going to be a member of the Razorback family, and he has my support until he demonstrates that he no longer deserves it by what his Arkansas teams do on the floor or what he does off of it. He should have yours as well.     

jamie72921

See my post about the shell game.

This is standard operating procedure for Frank. "Pursue" a big name, land a more "affordable" candidate.

That is exactly what happened here too.

Do you honestly believe Frank Broyles is going to land a big name coach under Nutt's salary? That was the real objective and anyone that doesn't believe it hasn't paid attention to Frank over the years.
Bless your heart

little pigee

April 02, 2007, 10:50:06 am #2 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:51:38 am by little pigee
Very well put. (I meant by Wilson)
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

razornole

agreed, but prolly not gonna happen.  the masses are pissed and want some satisfaction. 
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

The Marmot

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 02, 2007, 10:46:57 am
Dana Altman didn't hold a gun to Frank Broyles head and demand to be hired at UA.

The decision to hire him was made by the athletic director and approved by the chancellor and the system president. If you don't like it, your gripe is with them, not Altman.

Two weeks ago most everyone was screaming "Fire Heath!" myself included. So we fired a coach who had own 20 games in consecutive seasons and made two trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Then most everyone was screaming, "Let JFB make the hire! No committee!" myself included.

We've already garnered the reputation in the media as a fan base that has, to paraphrase, slipped over the edge and is frothing at the mouth. Don't compound it be calling for a coach to be fired before he signs his first recruit, makes his first Razorback Club meeting, or coaches his first game. That's low class.

Dana Altman is very shortly going to be a member of the Razorback family, and he has my support until he demonstrates that he no longer deserves it by what his Arkansas teams do on the floor or what he does off of it. He should have yours as well.    

Although I'm not excited right now, I agree with you.

And for the record... I never said let JFB make the hire alone. I hope he flies to Augusta and never comes back.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

jdhoover

Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

Hogtropolis™

Agree.  We need to support him unless he shows us a reason not to.

bulldog04

SMUhogfan

Great post!  Give the man a chance.  The big guys turned us down, now lets give Dana chance.  He's not the hire we all wanted, but he's got a proven track record and has inherited a team with a ton of talent.  And lets not forget he took a job not knowing who his boss will be in a year and knowing his current boss is senile.  

razornole

Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

Mr. Prozac

We've already garnered the reputation in the media as a fan base that has, to paraphrase, slipped over the edge and is frothing at the mouth. Don't compound it by calling for Coach Altman to be fired before he signs his first recruit, makes his first Razorback Club meeting, or coaches his first game. That's low class.

Amen.

zhog

noprayerfornutt

PiggoBitttys

budcampbellfan

It is not Altman's fault.  I will support him to see what happens.  This whole thing was screwed up long before the Stan firing.  Broyles was allowed to stay far far too long. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

W_KY_Hog

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

zebra

Quote from: W_KY_Hog on April 02, 2007, 11:04:48 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

AMEN

razorbackfan4life

I will support the new coach to the fullest, but I'm still displeased with how we went about it.  We could have done better IMO...

hoglady

Thank You - the man hasn't done anything to justify the type venom being spewed at him on this board. We should all give him a chance.  If I remember correctly most weren't happy with the Nolan hire either and that worked out OK.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

joebut18

Great post....it was stickied because he is the voice of reason....get over it!

jrparrish

as long as we win...i dont care if hillary clinton is coaching.

deucea729

I will at least give Altman a chance.  Wilson is right - he definitely has done nothing to deserve the treatment he is getting from most of us already.  And until we see a full season and full recruiting class from him, it is stupid for us to write him off as a bad deal for the U of A.

That said, can we make Broyles' retirement effective the week before last, please?

pneaville

100% agreed.  He has a good group coming in next year, the guy has a proven ability to coach, and we need to let him prove it on the hardwood before we call for his head.

I am a little disappointed we didn't get a "big name" but at the same time we got a guy with a ton of experience and a great record---all at a private school in Omaha.  Jesus we need to grow up.

God is a Razorback

softserve

I'm unimpressed and disheartened by this hire, but Fire Altman posts are just over the top.  Poor Guy, he's probably really excited.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

DEVIL DOG HOG

We made our bed, now we must sleep in it.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Boardon Hamsay

True dat, I've vented all the frustration I need to vent.  We'll see what the guy can do.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

uahogphan63

Boy, do we ever need to grow up!  It looks to me like there are just people out there waiting to whine and complain about something and they really are just waiting on the next subject they can direct their whining and complaining toward.  I've often said if I walked down the street handing out $100 bills, half the people would complain because they didn't get two of them!  Many of that half must reside on this board!  Good post, Wilson!

SpareRib

Right on the money, Wilson.  Altman deserves a Razorback welcome and an honest chance to succeed.

It's past time to criticize or question.  It IS time to support a new coach and give him a shot.

Pork Out :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I agree with Wilson, but at the same time feel we still have a right to be royally pissed off.  Not at Altman, but at Frank or the PTB, or the BOT, or the OPP.

Altman doesn't deserve the hate.  I can't get excited about this but I can't dog on him for taking the job. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

tolerati

I support Altman. He will be a great fit at Arkansas and he has the fire to build a national champion here again.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

scarohr

Let's all be pissed off but lets give this guy a chance.  He coulc be the next Eddie Sutton.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

alwaysrazorback

Don't take out your hatred for Houston and Frank on Altman.

fullygruntled

You nailed it about the class part.

Lot of people here have 0 class.

Go Dana.

VolHogg

Altman will be just like Nutt come in and win with Heath's team then after than what?

Lanlord

I agree.  This is making us look bad.

hogsanity

Quote from: scarohr on April 02, 2007, 11:48:04 am
Let's all be pissed off but lets give this guy a chance.  He coulc be the next Eddie Sutton.

According to some in other threads, Eddie wasnt very good either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsrmyfav36

The reality is the majority of the Arkansas fan base is reacting simply because we all know that the 1 change that still needs to happen up on the Hill hasn't and won't happen. 

Our head basketball coach has been fired.  Our AD has been forced to announce his retirement.  1 assistant football coach was run off to Tulsa.  2 of the best players off last years football team were run off.

Yet through all of this, HDN is still standing. 

Unfortunately for Dana Altman, this is the environment he is coming into and that is why people aren't doing backflips over his hiring. 

Razorback fans are just looking for a sign of hope and a reason to get excited about our football and basketball programs.....the future looks cloudy, at best.
F&*!NG INTRANET

toph27er

C'mon people.

If you are posting FIRE ALTMAN before the man even steps on campus you are part of the problem and not the true fanbase.

Someone told me that there was a thread over here stating to fire this man...and I didnt believe it with the thoughts that nobody with common sense could want to fire someone who hasnt even yet started the job.

But then again there are always going to be morons with zero things to do and instead spend their time on internet forum boards trying to stir up stuff because there isnt anything going on in their lives.  Well - here is to you...we all recognize your lack of creativity - congrats.

5 little pigs

I know attendance will skyrocket with this hiring!

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

HOGansHero

I will support the coach...I know many of us have jumped to conclusions and we do not really even know him.  He may do even better given the resources of the UofA.

revolution

Will I support Altman?  I do not.  This is a ridiculous hire.  He shouldn't be hired, then his ultimate firing would be a moot point.  How long are we going to have to put up with this guy?  5 years?  Time to make like Rip van Winkle . . .

searkhogfan

Great Post WilsonHog

Bvilleboar

I will support him once he is here.  I can't make myself happy about the hiring.  I think we downgraded.
2012 the year of the HOGS

Austin Sowers

I now realize that it's more important to operate a budget in the black, than win basketball games.  Thank you JFB.

SpineHog

Quote from: 5 little pigs on April 02, 2007, 12:16:29 pm
I know attendance will skyrocket with this hiring!
not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but creighton built a new 18,000-seat arena for the guy, and it sells out.  they're in the top 10-15 in attendence this year.

and i know it's been said a hundred times, but the last time we hired a creighton coach with a .6 career win record... it was eddie sutton.

HeathWimp

Wilson makes a good point, but it is hard to get excited about Altman.  At the very least, we can keep our mouths shut - "If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything at all."
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

champ

Will I am going to support him now that he is here..but everything was done in the wrong way I don't care if that is what Wilson would of done it is not a porfessional way of doing it and are administration is not professional