Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meet Dana Altman

Started by WilsonHog, March 31, 2007, 08:02:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiebrian

I would be fine with Dana Altman.  Would be a great choice and a great coach.

Hollywood_HOGan

this your opinion??

i think i would be fine with DA also but Im worred about how good a recruiter he may be.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 31, 2007, 08:05:03 am
this your opinion??

i think i would be fine with DA also but Im worred about how good a recruiter he may be.

I just posted his bio since he's getting some play in the press.

wooo

couldn't complain with a hire of that guy

what a nice resume

hogfan064

Did KSU fire him?   If so why?

hawgtime

March 31, 2007, 08:10:12 am #6 Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:15:39 am by hawgtime
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 31, 2007, 08:02:10 am
He could be the guy.

http://www.gocreighton.com/items_of_interest/bios.asp?BiosID=68

nope.

he couldn't win at KState during the Big 8 days, he won't be able to win here.  Plus i was there during his time and his comments after being fired as KSU were that he was looking forward to coaching at a lower level of expectation school were he could settle down and live with his family without all of the pressure. 

you think a Kstate can't handle the pressure can handle us?

Boarcephus

That's a name that makes you want to go out and plop down $2000 bucks for season tickets to the bb program. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogfan064

Quote from: hawgtime on March 31, 2007, 08:10:12 am
He could be the guy.

nope.

he couldn't win at KState during the Big 8 days, he won't be able to win here.  Plus i was there during his time and his comments after being fired as KSU were that he was looking forward to coaching at a lower level of expectation school were he could setter down and live with his family.

Don't want him then.  If he couldn't handle KState expectations how will he handle ours?

Toad Suck Pork

He could be the guy.

nope.

he couldn't win at KState during the Big 8 days, he won't be able to win here.  Plus i was there during his time and his comments after being fired as KSU were that he was looking forward to coaching at a lower level of expectation school were he could setter down and live with his family.

Nice ambition...I'm crossing him off my list then.

Winner

He's had his chance. Not many coaches who have had one chance in the big time and fail bounce back successful. I can't think of one actually.

Dugann

I'm not excited of him at all.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

RedSatinHog

That's what we fired Stan Heath for?  Gimme a break.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogfan064

Altman=Buzz Peterson.  A guy who coached at a major school, got fired and then started having a good career at a midmajor.   Neither can handle bigtime pressure I guess.   

Hey let's get Larry Shyatt, Florida assistant.  He was fired from a major also. 

Bomis Hawg

HoopS

I thought Altman walked into a mess at KState???

Porkatarian

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2007, 08:21:20 am

We fired Stan Heath because in 5 years:

1. his SEC road record was 7 - 33.
2. he had only one winning season in SEC conference play.
3. he had zero wins in the  NCAA tournament.

It was time for a change, regardless of who our next coach will be.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

HAM ELLIOT

Great.  We have gone from BG to this.  Its amazing how since we dont get the top notch coach we want right out of the gate, we decide to pursue a coach at a second rate school.  2 players to make the NBA!  How exciting.  Woooo hoooooo

Ironhawg

This is the answer?  Seriously?  Dana Altman?  The guy got fired from Kansas State for being MEDIOCRE!  He went from K-State to Creighton.  That is a step DOWN!  Why in the world would we want a guy whose career is in reverse?  He couldn't get it done at Kansas State so now he has magically changed and is going to be a star at Arkansas? 
If this is the guy, IMHO we're looking at the face of death of the Razorback Basketball program and JFB is the executioner.

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 31, 2007, 08:30:55 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2007, 08:21:20 am

We fired Stan Heath because in 5 years:

1. his SEC road record was 7 - 33.
2. he had only one winning season in SEC conference play.
3. he had zero wins in the  NCAA tournament.

It was time for a change, regardless of who our next coach will be.

Porkatarian out...

So now we're gonna replace Heath with someone who has already demonstrated he could do no better at this level?

Funny.  An alcoholic led KSU to quite an impressive turnaround in just one season.  That doesn't exactly speak well for the guy who's being touted as "the one", and there's no way I'll ever buy off on him being our answer to Stan Heath.

RedSatinHog

Here are Altman's career averages:

At Creighton:  18-10
At Division 1 Level:  19-11

So now we're gonna settle for a guy who has averaged less than 20 wins per year at this level?  Don't try to sell us on that being a step up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2007, 08:44:38 am

So now we're gonna settle for a guy who has averaged less than 20 wins per year at this level?  Don't try to sell us on that being a step up.

Same salesman told us Gus was getting a promotion going to Tulsa.  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

granny grunt

I've got a news-flash for everyone,   we don't have any say in who is hired at the U of A.   I sincerely doubt that Broyles will fill the bill [no pun intended] with a great coach.  You have to have a top-notch sports program,  and with our laughable football program and an 82 year-old lame duck AD in controll,  well all I can say if fasten your seat belts,  it's going to be a bumpy ride.......

RedSatinHog

Quote from: granny grunt on March 31, 2007, 08:52:05 am
I've got a news-flash for everyone,   we don't have any say in who is hired at the U of A.   I sincerely doubt that Broyles will fill the bill [no pun intended] with a great coach.  You have to have a top-notch sports program,  and with our laughable football program and an 82 year-old lame duck AD in controll,  well all I can say if fasten your seat belts,  it's going to be a bumpy ride.......

Maybe, maybe not, but we have as much of a right to voice our opinions of it as you have to voice yours.

If you're content to just sit back and watch stuff happen without saying a word, that's your perrogative.  Some of us are just not quite that passive about this deal.

Blue35

There is nothing in his record that indicates that he might be successful in the SEC.  No to Altman.

WilsonHog

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2007, 08:59:37 am

Maybe, maybe not, but we have as much of a right to voice our opinions of it as you have to voice yours.

If you're content to just sit back and watch stuff happen without saying a word, that's your perrogative.  Some of us are just not quite that passive about this deal.

What we're doing is pretty much an academic exercise. It's fun and it's entertaining, but if JFB thinks that Sadler, or Altman, or Turgeon is the answer, all we can do is react to it by deciding whether to purchase season tickets. 

3kgthog

Altman would turn us into a perennial 3rd place SEC West team. His teams are always solid, but they never make the jump to being really good. Let's throw his name in the trash and find someone else.

JShipCPA

He could be the guy.

nope.

he couldn't win at KState during the Big 8 days, he won't be able to win here.  Plus i was there during his time and his comments after being fired as KSU were that he was looking forward to coaching at a lower level of expectation school were he could settle down and live with his family without all of the pressure. 

He looks good from a win-loss perspective, but come on, a highlight on his resume is making the Sweet 16 in the NIT??!!

There's probably a big reason why he has remained at Creighton for 13 seasons, and I, for one, do not care to find out what those reasons are...

HoopS

What if he had some legit players?   How easy do you think it is to recruit to Creighton?   It's not like the state of Kansas is a hotbed of talent.   

No he isn't my number 1 choice, but realistically, who are are we going to get?   We got burned with a mid major 1 hit wonder already.  Atleast this guy has sustained success.   Do you want Doc Sadler?   Do we know for sure that Grant wull succeed?  I do like him, but hea coached exactly one year.   Can he recruit?   I think we should consider Marshall, but I'm not hearing his name.

No worries though, I'm guessing Doc will get the gig and Altman will be left, well, at the altar.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 31, 2007, 09:02:36 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2007, 08:59:37 am

What we're doing is pretty much an academic exercise. It's fun and it's entertaining, but if JFB thinks that Sadler, or Altman, or Turgeon is the answer, all we can do is react to it by deciding whether to purchase season tickets. 

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I'm a lifelong fan of the Hogs basketball team.  The only game I was ever able to go to was a 1985 Red-White game at Barton Coliseum in Nolan's first year.  I'm moving to either Fayetteville or Springdale next year, and although I have always wanted to go to a game on the Hill, I will flatly refuse to darken the doorstep if we hire this guy.  I also dare to say I won't be one of the only ones staying away.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 31, 2007, 09:10:27 am
What if he had some legit players?   How easy do you think it is to recruit to Creighton?   It's not like the state of Kansas is a hotbed of talent.  

No he isn't my number 1 choice, but realistically, who are are we going to get?   We got burned with a mid major 1 hit wonder already.  Atleast this guy has sustained success.   Do you want Doc Sadler?   Do we know for sure that Grant wull succeed?  I do like him, but hea coached exactly one year.   Can he recruit?   I think we should consider Marshall, but I'm not hearing his name.

No worries though, I'm guessing Doc will get the gig and Altman will be left, well, at the altar.

Lets break this thing down one step at a time. 

First, KSU once had a solid program, but it wasn't under Altman.  They play in a major conference, and there is no excuse for not being able to succeed with the allure of being able to play in front of televised audiences with the likes of TAM, Kansas, Texas, etc.

Next, just what is your definition of "sustained success" anyway?  If it's 18-19 wins and 10+ losses each season, then I guess he'd be your guy.  Most of the people are not willing to settle with "what we can get".

Finally, I can actually buy your comments on Marshall.  Roy Williams was telling everybody going into the tournament that no one wanted to play Marshall's squad.  He'd know, too.  They took UNC to the limit earlier this year.

HoopS

I'm just saying that he always has a pretty good team and doesn't have the advantage of the recruits an S.E.C team can pull, just off the fact they are in the S.E.C.   How many years was he at KSU?   What was the team like before he got there?   

Listen (mister), I'm not saying he is who I want.   But I'm guessing the writting is on the wall.  I see he or Sadler being hired by Frank.   I actually figured Turgeron would have been mentioned more. 

And none of those names excite one dam bit.  But until the get here and prove they can't do it in a different environment, I plan on taking a wait and see approach. 

That's just my opinion. 

bcdeputy

I know Altman had at least one GREAT player at Kansas State.  Mitch Richmond!!!  He took Richmond with him to Kansas State from Moberly Junior College.  Man,  those Moberly teams were GOOD!!!  they would have won the national juco title in 84-85 except three of thier starters missed the semi-final game with the flu.  They were one tough team.

UAfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 31, 2007, 08:11:23 am
That's a name that makes you want to go out and plop down $2000 bucks for season tickets to the bb program. 
That is the key.  If the new guy can't up the ticket sales than we are in trouble.  You can bet Frank will get someone who's gonna do that.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 31, 2007, 09:28:37 am
I'm just saying that he always has a pretty good team and doesn't have the advantage of the recruits an S.E.C team can pull, just off the fact they are in the S.E.C.   How many years was he at KSU?   What was the team like before he got there?  

Listen (mister), I'm not saying he is who I want.   But I'm guessing the writting is on the wall.  I see he or Sadler being hired by Frank.   I actually figured Turgeron would have been mentioned more. 

And none of those names excite one dam bit.  But until the get here and prove they can't do it in a different environment, I plan on taking a wait and see approach. 

That's just my opinion. 

And I am saying that the writing on the wall is not saying we have to hire another meidocre coach, and that's exactly what we'd be doing with either Sadler or Altman.

If we are going the mid-major route, Marshall or Likliter would be great choices.  Heck, Scott Sutton would be a much better choice than the ones we've been arguing about.  Didn't his ORU team beat Kansas at Phog Allen earlier this year?  Combine that with a couple of NCAAT appearances and his resume doesn't look so devoid of success, and no one will ever convince me that he wouldn't jump at the chance to go coach at a place his own dad built and packed to the rafters night after night, year after year. 

HoopS

The writing I see isn't necessarily what I want to see.  It is what I expect to see.   I've had a sneaking suspicion of Sadler all along.   We will have to see how it plays out.   

Table Rocker

count me in on altman, i think we could do ALOT worse.

forrest city joe

He could be the guy.

nope.

Bingo.is this some sick joke? this Guy is no upgrade over Stan. what has he ever won in all his years of coaching. he was fired by kansas state.

Table Rocker

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 09:56:26 am
He could be the guy.

nope.

Bingo.is this some sick joke? this Guy is no upgrade over Stan. what has he ever won in all his years of coaching. he was fired by kansas state.

he's made creighton a better basketball program than arkansas in the last decade -that's what he's done joe. if you don't think he's a step up from heath then you don't know basketball, period.

Hitman08

What style of ball does Altman play?

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hitman08 on March 31, 2007, 09:59:20 am

very fundamental and disciplined, has always had great shooters at creighton, something we haven't had on the hill in sometime

Hogtropolis™

Please no.  I would rather have retained Stan Heath than get Altman.  Let's get someone that will get the fans excited.  I say go for a fairly big name coach or get Anthony Grant.  And truthfully, Grant might be better than any big name coach out there.

BB140

You guys need to know more about these coaches:
1-Altman makes huge money at Creighton (which by the way is in Omaha, not KS) Creighton only has like 6000 students but look below for # season tickets holders.
2- Creighton plays in the new Qwest Center which will hold nearly 17000 sold-out season ticket holders- and as nice as facility as any in college basketball
3-Creighton is a host site for first/second round NCAA BB tourney next year(sold out) hosted by Creighton
4- He was born in Nebraska- so probably would not go to Arkansas
5- Has been offered several big (bigger than AK) jobs past several years and turned them all down.
6- Money would not be the factor- I know you all say you have Walmart, but Omaha has more millionaires per capita than any other city in US- they would fork over extra to keep Altman
6-Personally, I say no way he would go to AK, but I guess you never know.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 31, 2007, 10:01:38 am
Please no.  I would rather have retained Stan Heath than get Altman.  Let's get someone that will get the fans excited.  I say go for a fairly big name coach or get Anthony Grant.  And truthfully, Grant might be better than any big name coach out there.

god forbid we get a coach who have fundamentally sound and successful teams :)

we don't need excitement, we need W's!

HoopS

Alaska has Wal-Mart?   :P

AK=Alaska
AR=Arkansas

But don't worry, Fox News makes the same mistake all the time.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 31, 2007, 10:06:17 am
Alaska has Wal-Mart?   :P

AK=Alaska
AR=Arkansas

But don't worry, Fox News makes the same mistake all the time.

I knew it before I ever even thought of moving to Alaska.

But incidentally, Alaska DOES have a few Wal Mart stores.  :-)

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:00:32 am
Quote from: Hitman08 on March 31, 2007, 09:59:20 am

very fundamental and disciplined, has always had great shooters at creighton, something we haven't had on the hill in sometime

Fundamental, disciplined, blah blah blah.  What kind of offense and defense have his teams typically run to average 18-10 in 13 years at Creighton?

Razorod

I've got a news-flash for everyone,   we don't have any say in who is hired at the U of A.   I sincerely doubt that Broyles will fill the bill [no pun intended] with a great coach.  You have to have a top-notch sports program,  and with our laughable football program and an 82 year-old lame duck AD in controll,  well all I can say if fasten your seat belts,  it's going to be a bumpy ride.......

This could be the post that best describes our current situation.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

PigTimePlayer

I can't imagine this . . .

"Hey guys, did you hear?  We got DANA ALTMAN!  Woo Pig Sooieee!!  Take that, Kentucky.  Where's that ticket office phone number?"

All indications are that DA has been happy to have moderate success at a mid-major school.  There's nothing wrong with that if he's happy and the school is happy, then it's all good.  But that is not what Hog Fans are going to expect.  This is not going to be an upgrade.  I'd rather see what Anthony Grant could do . . . at least we know he would be hungry.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys