Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want Nolan back, seriously think about it

Started by davehog, March 28, 2007, 01:18:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

I want Nolan Richardson back as head coach and I am being serious.
Here are the reasons why:
1. BWA would definitely be sold out, fan enthusiasm wouldn't be a problem
2. He is already getting $500K/year, even with a salary of $2 million, we would be saving some coin. 
3. He STILL lives in Fayetteville
4. Nolan could take this team (with Beverley) and make them a legit Final 4 team next year. 
5. This would fix a lot of problems that happened in the past on both sides

I am on the Nolan for coach bandwagon, climb aboard

GO HOGS GO!!!

Killean

None of the racists would have it...

I'm gonna puke if I hear someone say we need a "white" coach again.

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

DEVICEHIGH

THAT GREAT BIG HUGE CHUCK OF A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER THAT HAS BEEN THERE SINCE THE DAY WE FIRST HIRED HIM IS STILL THERE.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Gushugger

Fill up BWA?  Not this "red neck sob" as Nolan likes to refer to us as.

W_KY_Hog

major_hog_fan

No offense, but I rather have Stan Heath than Nolan any day of the week.

hogsailor

Nolan wouldn't cross the street to p!ss on the UofA at this point...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

okiehawg

Did this guy not read what Nolan said to ESPN about the U of A?

Call Mr. Sow

If it would hasten Broyles' departure, I would be in favor of this hire.

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: davehog on March 28, 2007, 01:18:55 pm
2. He is already getting $500K/year, even with a salary of $2 million, we would be saving some coin. 
4. Nolan could take this team (with Beverley) and make them a legit Final 4 team next year. 

GO HOGS GO!!!

What I remember is that he stopped recruiting and coaching and became a politician that used his position of HC as a soapbox to promote his agenda.

If Nolan Richardson would get back that fire for winning and producing championships that he came to Arkansas with, I'd welcome him back today.

HighonSwine

Quote from: hogsailor on March 28, 2007, 01:23:57 pm

I would walk across the street to piss on him.

Gushugger

Spiral_cut

coachp

That would be the best parting gift that I can think of for the white haired devil.

Pork Salad Annie

hogsailor

Quote from: HighonSwine on March 28, 2007, 01:29:35 pm
Quote from: hogsailor on March 28, 2007, 01:23:57 pm

I would walk across the street to piss on him.

+1 if I could...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

HOG71

hogs7199

Quote from: Killean on March 28, 2007, 01:19:51 pm

Nolan is as big a racist as they come.  Don't want him back......EVER!

hawgsav1

I want Nolan back, and he will fill up seats. He'd be fired up and he'd win.  He made the program what it is today.  Everybody needs to just calm down and realize he's one of the best out there still.  I'll always be a Nolan fan.  His outspoken nature combined with his abilities to motivate and fire up a team are legendary.  I want him back as a coach, hands down.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

cbjagman

Would your attitude be the same if the color was changed to "black"? My point is this: if you have to designate the color of a man's skin in conjunction whether he should or shouldn't be the head coach at the U of A, or anywhere else, then I have to harbor a strong hunch that you may be have a racist agenda.

BCShogs

Nolan is the racist.

moses_007

It would come more near snowing in Fayetteville in the summer than Nolan coming back.  That will never happen.  PERIOD.  :razorback: :razorback:

hawgsav1

Quote from: cbjagman on March 28, 2007, 02:45:05 pm

Would your attitude be the same if the color was changed to "black"? My point is this: if you have to designate the color of a man's skin in conjunction whether he should or shouldn't be the head coach at the U of A, or anywhere else, then I have to harbor a strong hunch that you may be have a racist agenda.

The point is not that he is saying we need a black coach.  It sounds like he's colorblind and simply wants a good coach, regardless of color.  The point is that other people are trying to say we need a "white" coach because they don't want a black coach.  Those people he are referring to are being racist.  I don't care about the color of the skin, I want Nolan back because he is the best coach we have ever had and the best coach that we will ever have, hands down.

Mick Hogger

At least no one's started a thread about getting Notes  yet...
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

HaWg 10

"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

snoot hoggy hog

I know I gonna get killed for this but I gotta agree with this.  Here's why:

During Arkansas's championship run they played and beat Kentucky in Rupp Arena.  The camera's followed Nolan back to the locker room.  You heard the Kentucky fans screaming curse words and throwing stuff at Nolan.  He just simply said thank you after every yell, smiled and kept walking. 

jwhite_13

I'm gonna get in trouble for writing this but you are an IDIOT!!!!

defcoach

BWA wasn't full the year that they fired him.  Why would people that wouldn't go to his games then, suddenly change their minds and go to games now?

WhiteyDog

Anyone that continues to ask for Nolan has lost their mind.  In his day he was great.  Toward the ned he became a lazy angry man with an agenda.  He quit recruiting, quit coaching, and amped up his bitching.  We are in this mess partly due to him.  Thanks to Stan we have some rescpectability back.  If most of us on this board called our boss out like he did we would have been gone before the interview was up, and without that nice little cushion he fell on.

It was not a black thing it was a he is an a hole thing that doesnt care anymore.  Why do you think he is coaching the Mexican National team and not a D1 program?  You going to give Frank credit for that.  He doesn't have the stroke most think he does, and could this be any more obvious with our current situation in Bball.

Nolan was the one with the race issues not the people of Arkansas.  Every year we went to the tourney I would just cringe because it wsa going to turn into a sounding board for the BCA and not the U of A.  So to anyone who wants Nolan, i thikn they have some season tickets left in Mexico!

snoot hoggy hog

March 28, 2007, 03:46:12 pm #30 Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:47:57 pm by snoot hoggy hog
Quote from: jwhite_13 on March 28, 2007, 03:13:00 pm

People never consider what Nolan endured while coaching at Arkansas.  Lets talk about his first two years:
1. Daughter dying when he got here.
2. Eddie left a bad taste with the "crawl to Kentucky" comment
3.  different style of play being criticized by fans(uptempo vs. sutton's walk it up)
4.  The enigma that was William Mills
5.  Frank's "go learn from Bobby Knight" comments

All of this and he still made us a national power.

WhiteyDog

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 28, 2007, 03:46:12 pm
Quote from: jwhite_13 on March 28, 2007, 03:13:00 pm

People never consider what Nolan endured while coaching at Arkansas.  Lets talk about his first two years:
1. Daughter dying when he got here.
2. Eddie left a bad taste with the "crawl to Kentucky" comment
3.  different style of play being criticized by fans(uptempo vs. sutton's walk it up)
4.  The enigma that was William Mills
5.  Frank's "go learn from Bobby Knight" comments

All of this and he still made us a national power.

If it was so bad why did he never leave?  I am sure he could have had his pick in his hayday or should i say mayday!

Too $hort

Quote from: neahogfan22 on March 28, 2007, 02:45:43 pm

Nolan is the racist.

He invented the word.

But he's a great coach nonetheless.

Ray$

Not Nolan, but I would take Mike Anderson.  We should have kept him instead of getting rid of Mike in the first place.

granny grunt

I think Mike Anderson would be a good choice,  but the great white-haired AD would not give him the chance he deserved when Nolan left,  so I'm sure he wouldn't even consider him now for head coach.   Remember,  Broyles has never honored the 94 National Championship team in any way......other than hanging the banners in the rafters of BW.    Frank Broyles is a petty man,  and I hope the next AD will bring the 94 team back to be honored by Arkansas fans and the U of A...

hoglee

Sometimes  ya just have to start over.     When you know someone has the ability but has struggled through some issues sometimes it works to talk things through.  Nolan is acknowledged as a great coach.  He has issues that hold him back.  I am in a people business.  People change.  People learn.  I think it's worth a shot.   

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: hogs7199 on March 28, 2007, 02:38:37 pm

Nolan is as big a racist as they come.  Don't want him back......EVER!

I agree

ki285

screw nolan he is as big of a racist as there is.  i wouldnt piss on him if he was on fire.  he didnt build the arkansas basketball program eddie sutton did.  i would rather arkansas drop basketball than hire nolan back

HaWg 10

"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

HaWg 10

Quote from: ki285 on March 28, 2007, 04:45:31 pm
screw nolan he is as big of a racist as there is.  i wouldnt piss on him if he was on fire.  he didnt build the arkansas basketball program eddie sutton did.  i would rather arkansas drop basketball than hire nolan back

finally someone with something other than water in their head. I agree my friend

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Ray$

Quote from: ki285 on March 28, 2007, 04:45:31 pm

That's not true.  Eddie did build a program, but so did Nolan.  He started with nothing and won us a Championship, and he did it with an innovative style very few in the game had seen at the time.  

LL COOL HOG

Nolan  Nolan  Nolan.....Did he really call you a redneck.   Alison Krause(sp) is a redneck and proud of it :)
I think Nolan was refering to the fans wanting him to recruit more white players than all white Razorback fans. Does  Jason Jennings ring a bell :( 

Please are you really offended by Redneck.   If you really are than I see your point, but most White ppl I know love to be called redneck.  At least at my job.

hawgsav1

Quote from: granny grunt on March 28, 2007, 04:07:35 pm
I think Mike Anderson would be a good choice,  but the great white-haired AD would not give him the chance he deserved when Nolan left,  so I'm sure he wouldn't even consider him now for head coach.   Remember,  Broyles has never honored the 94 National Championship team in any way......other than hanging the banners in the rafters of BW.    Frank Broyles is a petty man,  and I hope the next AD will bring the 94 team back to be honored by Arkansas fans and the U of A...
Quote from: hoglee on March 28, 2007, 04:27:23 pm
Sometimes  ya just have to start over.     When you know someone has the ability but has struggled through some issues sometimes it works to talk things through.  Nolan is acknowledged as a great coach.  He has issues that hold him back.  I am in a people business.  People change.  People learn.  I think it's worth a shot.   

We are Razorbacks.  We want to win. Nolan can still do that.  Give him a chance.

badbeagle

IBreal

That would be just about more than 3/4 of the people in Arkansas.  The way Nolan was treated during and after the firing, I wouldn't be surprise that number is larger than 3/4 of the state.  It would be a blessing for the state but I never hope he takes this job again.  He deserves better treatment somewhere else.  Somewhere in the SEC would be nice so people who appreciate his style of coaching can see and enjoy the game.

IBreal

Arkansas missed the boat when they didn't give Mike Anderson the opportunity when he definitely deserves it but then went out and hired a black coach, when no one else would come on board, just to say that it wasn't a black and white thing.  I hope that they do get to hire a big name coach and that he falls on his a$$ and make the firing of a decent and great coach, Heath and Nolan, something that will stick with them for a long, long time.

HAWGALLTHEWAY

Whoever said that Nolan could take this team of players and get us back to the final four is an absolute nut!!!  This team does not have the type of players that Nolan uses in his run & gun offense or in his slap & hack defense.  Nolan took kids that were quick and turned them into defensive antagonists.  His defense produced a very high percentage of his offense (nothing wrong with this - it wins basketball games).  BUT NOT WITH THESE KIDS!  Do I think that if Nolan had the desire he could rebuild the Hog BB program through a few years of recruiting - Maybe. He doesn't have the desire!  If he did, I still say no thanks becasue of his other agenda.  Racist come in all colors.  You shouldn't become a racist to defend against a racist (I believe that Nolan was a victim of racism from some people but I also believe that Nolan became a bigger, much more public racist - no place for that here).

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: davehog on March 28, 2007, 01:18:55 pm

GO HOGS GO!!!

You forgot #6. Still has all his baggage.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HAWGALLTHEWAY on March 28, 2007, 05:54:03 pm
Whoever said that Nolan could take this team of players and get us back to the final four is an absolute nut!!!  This team does not have the type of players that Nolan uses in his run & gun offense or in his slap & hack defense.  Nolan took kids that were quick and turned them into defensive antagonists.  His defense produced a very high percentage of his offense (nothing wrong with this - it wins basketball games).  BUT NOT WITH THESE KIDS!  Do I think that if Nolan had the desire he could rebuild the Hog BB program through a few years of recruiting - Maybe. He doesn't have the desire!  If he did, I still say no thanks becasue of his other agenda.  Racist come in all colors.  You shouldn't become a racist to defend against a racist (I believe that Nolan was a victim of racism from some people but I also believe that Nolan became a bigger, much more public racist - no place for that here).

The number one thing Nolan's kids had was stamina.  40 minutes of hell is a simple philsophy that "People don't like pressure so pressure the hell out of them and get steals.  Play a nasty halfcourt zone and trap, making the team shoot jumpshots and miss.  Keep your team in great shape so they can run.  Keep em talented enough so that you can run 10 deep.  Shoot threes and score with your guards."  They had to have stamina considering they were playing so intense and so much.  His teams could run 10 deep.  If he whips this team into shape they could do decently.  The one area where they might be lacking is in guard play and three point shooting, but I still believe Nolan could do it.  These guys can do it.  They can rebound better than some of Nolan's old teams.  They can do it.