My top 4 realistic choices to replace Heath

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 25, 2007, 10:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

Not confident the Hogs could get any of these 4 but they would be worth a shot.

Some coaches out there would be a waste of time such as Donovan at Fla, Williams at NC, or Coach K at Duke of course. Those guys likely wouldn't even talk to Arkansas. But the 4 I list would probably listen to what Arkansas has to say.

I list them in the order I think Arkansas has the chance of getting them. Smith would be the most difficult by far as the KY job is a dream job in college bball...right there with Duke and NC and what Indiana used to be when Knight was there.

I'd be elated with any of these coaches and would be most happy if Calipari got the job.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

CCU Cougar

Bill Self, Rick Barnes????

Do not expect a big time Big XII coach... Barnes would be a better shot, but still, a step down this year. Durant said he was staying, I though.

I'd rather see Mike Anderson

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on February 25, 2007, 10:58:11 pm
John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

Some coaches out there would be a waste of time such as Donovan at Fla, Williams at NC, or Coach K at Duke of course. Those guys likely wouldn't even talk to Arkansas. But the 4 I list would probably listen to what Arkansas has to say.

I list them in the order I think Arkansas has the chance of getting them. Smith would be the most difficult by far as the KY job is a dream job in college bball...right there with Duke and NC and what Indiana used to be when Knight was there.

I'd be elated with any of these coaches and would be most happy if Calipari got the job.

anderson is probably more likely the best choice

Pignominious

John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

Why Tubby?  The wildcat faithful aren't to happy with him.  Of course most of the dissatisfaction is recruiting.  We saw what he did with a talented roster in 98. 

I'd be happy with Barnes.  He's gotten to the final 4 and elite 8 in the past 4 years.  Those are results.  He can coach.  He's not the best but he is close to the top.  He's also listen to us.  I say make a run at him and see how committed UT is to hoops.  It'd be fun to kill are rivals like that.

I don't know about Calapari.  He seems to carry a lot of baggage.  I am also a little wary of his style.  I just don't like how many 3's they jack up a game.  They did make the 8 last year so I'll give him that.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

HawgWyld

Quote from: CCU Cougar on February 25, 2007, 10:59:34 pm

Do not expect a big time Big XII coach... Barnes would be a better shot, but still, a step down this year. Durant said he was staying, I though.

I've got mixed feelings about Mike Anderson. On one hand, he has the "up and comer" status that was once applied to both Stan Heath and Houston Nutt. We've seen how well those hires have worked out at the UA.

On the other hand, he is very familiar with the style of play that won a national championship and got the Hogs in the 1995 championship game. That's some darned valuable knowledge to bring back to Fayetteville.

CheeZ_PuFF

Qbackinman

It'll be some young coach with a mid level team who's guys get hot in the NCAAs. Always is.

threeNout

pigsooiec5

What about Mike Montgomery, the former Stanford coach?  I think he fits the bill of a proven major conference coach that so many of you seem to be clamoring for. 

football17

Y'all...

the next coach will be Self or Gillispie.

End of argument.

Hong Kong Sooey

Mark has obviously missed an AA meeting or two.  Out of the four coaches named, not one would come to Arkansas unless he was fired where he is now.  The only one facing that possibility is Tubby, and why would we want him? 

Calipari is an NCAA investigation waiting to happen.  Barnes and Self are the HC's of two programs who go into each season with a shot at the NC. 

Try to be reasonable people.

(I hope this is a tongue-in-cheek attempt to illustrate the absurdity of a certain segment of posters, Mark.  I have been giving you a lot more credit than this deserves.)

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: football17 on February 25, 2007, 11:15:48 pm
Y'all...

End of argument.
I'll go out on a limb and say Doc Sadler is the more likely choice.  Self and Gillespie will point to Doc as the logical choice after they turn it down...

booogaga

why the loyalty to calipari. he thinks arkansas is a subpar opponent. he said so the last time memphis played us and tried to get us off of his schedule. plus he brings a lot of bad recruiting rep.
GO HOGS!

hogsgonewild30

John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

don't see any of those leaving where there at, if not anderson, how about bob huggins at kansas state.  he always was in the tournament at cincinnati, and he has got k-state at 19-9

wincrimson

Question:  Why is Johnny Dawkins' name never mentioned for these jobs?  Is it because Snyder was a bust at Mizzou?  I'd love to see Dawkins here at 'Bama.

3kgthog

Self = overrated big game choke job professional. He's carrying on the Roy Williams Kansas tradition.
Calipari = scumbag and another big game choker
Tubby = can't recruit and if he can't get back to the big one at UK then he certainly wouldn't do it here
Barnes = why leave a huge recruiting base and fans that are easier on him than we would be?

On a side note, what is with some of you guys and the defeatist attitude? You really don't think Arkansas is an attractive job? Lots of athletic directors, media members, and others in the basketball profession would disagree with you. We've got the rich big wigs that can help finance a new winning era. We've got nice facilities. We've got a pretty decent in-state recruiting base for basketball. See Joe Johnson, Brewer, James Anderson, etc. Our fans have continued to show up despite having bad teams. Frank Broyles and his meddling arse are on the way out. We've got good tradition. The new coach will likely inherit the SEC Freshman of the Year, the SEC's top shot blocker, and some other talent that might be pretty salty with a year or two of seasoning. This place is primed and ready for a new coach to come in and win immediately. Not to mention we've got Nutt's bumblings to overshadow just about any obstacles that befall the basketball team. Things don't get much better than that if you're a coach.

CCU Cougar

Y'all...

End of argument.
They have no reason to take a step down to the SEC

PiggoBitttys

Tubby is about to be run out of Lexington, let's please stay away from him.

CCU Cougar

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 25, 2007, 11:48:02 pm
Self = overrated big game choke job professional. He's carrying on the Roy Williams Kansas tradition.

It's not really a Roy Williams tradition just because he's the only coach there you remember. Self is doing it all with virtually all of his own recruits.

sechawgfan

Patino......................................Pay him get him here..... He can pull huge talent here with his recruiting and our facilities, its a cant miss situation....... Pay him.

Space Man

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 25, 2007, 11:04:24 pm
Quote from: CCU Cougar on February 25, 2007, 10:59:34 pm

I've got mixed feelings about Mike Anderson. On one hand, he has the "up and comer" status that was once applied to both Stan Heath and Houston Nutt. We've seen how well those hires have worked out at the UA.

On the other hand, he is very familiar with the style of play that won a national championship and got the Hogs in the 1995 championship game. That's some darned valuable knowledge to bring back to Fayetteville.

Heath and Anderson can not be compared as coaches. I would not consider Mike Anderson as an up and comer considering how many tournament appearnces he had at UAB.  Stan Heath is an ace recruiter, and a terrible X and O guy.  That Missouri team he has now, is not even close to having the amount of talent that Arkansas currently has.  Stan Heath had 1 year of head coaching experience before being hired, and everyone knows Hoffman, and Gates ran that team. 

razor-trac

Consider context: Calimari is in a little backwater college. He can raise status by putting others down. He knows Memphis State is a perennial second rate outfit. Looks good to talk bad about first rate programs, like Arkansas, when you are stuck at Memphis state. Calamarie is scumbag, but he can recruit. He can sometimes win. Although he does not have a very good talent/win ratio. He gets great players and routinely bows out of tourney way before final four.

Self is not impressive. No results. Not even at Kansas. Roy Williams didn't produce there either, but a decent coach should.

Rick Barnes will not come here, and we should not care. TX will do whatever to keep it from happening. Why would we want him anyway? Poor results despite all the resources you can imagine. He should have won a NC by now.

We need an edge. You don't line up with the best and beat them at the same game. You need to have an edge. Like Nolan had. We need to find a coach that can excite potential players and coach them to do things that frustrate and defeat opposing players.

Mike Anderson is one that can do it. I am sure there are others - the Washington coach sounded impressive.

"We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." BH Obama at inauguration

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. " BH Obama a couple weeks later

That's what I call change.

The_Bionic_Pig

Y'all...

End of argument.

Anderson is currently a 3rd option they are going to throw 2 Million at Gillespie and if he doesn't jump then they will persue their secondary option Self.  Stan Heath currently makes around 900K per year.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

yraciv

I'm a fan of Gillespie and Self first, but Calipari wouldn't be a bad 3rd option.  People seem to forget he let UMASS to the 1 seed in 1996 I believe.

TomasPistola

I'd likely Choke out Calapari if he were the head coach. I don't want that slime ball at the U of A.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hoggystyle78

I'd make a run at Gillispie first, then my choices in order would be Turgeon from Wichita St., then Mike Anderson, if we can't land any of those then we go after Doc Sadler JMO. :razorback:

WooieSooie

Hiring Calimari would be like my favorite NFL team hiring someone like, oh, I dunno, Steve Superior.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

stormurr

if they want someone the state would fall in love with fast and rally around and bring back what we all loved the HOG ball we all remember so well that won us a NC, Anderson would bring that excitement to the fans the first day he would be named coach I would bet on it.

Boarcephus

For all you people talking Mike Anderson, you're assuming he would want to come here.   He may harbor some hard core feelings of resentment on how we stiffed him and fired his best friend and father figure and I can't say as I blame him.   If Heath is fired like some people say he's going to be, it only proves Nolan was right if Nutt mananged to keep his job during losing seasons, as has Gardner.  They're treating him good in Columbia so he could very easily tell the UofA to kiss his a$$.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dr Swineglove

John Calipari has made number of disparaging remarks about the UofA over the years; I don't see him being a good fit.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

netteltonhog

I would rather leave Stan in charge as have Calipari as head coach. 

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Soooie21

VoR

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 25, 2007, 11:48:02 pm
Calipari = scumbag and another big game choker
Tubby = can't recruit and if he can't get back to the big one at UK then he certainly wouldn't do it here
Barnes = why leave a huge recruiting base and fans that are easier on him than we would be?

On a side note, what is with some of you guys and the defeatist attitude? You really don't think Arkansas is an attractive job? Lots of athletic directors, media members, and others in the basketball profession would disagree with you. We've got the rich big wigs that can help finance a new winning era. We've got nice facilities. We've got a pretty decent in-state recruiting base for basketball. See Joe Johnson, Brewer, James Anderson, etc. Our fans have continued to show up despite having bad teams. Frank Broyles and his meddling arse are on the way out. We've got good tradition. The new coach will likely inherit the SEC Freshman of the Year, the SEC's top shot blocker, and some other talent that might be pretty salty with a year or two of seasoning. This place is primed and ready for a new coach to come in and win immediately. Not to mention we've got Nutt's bumblings to overshadow just about any obstacles that befall the basketball team. Things don't get much better than that if you're a coach.

The biggest problem I see right now is the fact we are in transition, whoever we hire as a coach knows he stuck with JFB for the best part of a year, and in the background for much longer, add to that, the fact they have no idea who their new boss is, if even on paper. Better be ready to add some more big bucks to the equation. The best thing U of A can do if and when the part ways with SH is announce a new AD quickly, and make it someone that prospective coaches won't see as an extension of JFB.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 26, 2007, 01:29:01 am
Y'all...

End of argument.

Anderson is currently a 3rd option they are going to throw 2 Million at Gillespie and if he doesn't jump then they will persue their secondary option Self.  Stan Heath currently makes around 900K per year.

Gillespie would be my first option, but I'm not confident that the 'Selection Committee' wouldn't try to get another $750K bargain for a head coach out of another up and comer.  It's the wrong mentality to have if we are ever going to get back to consisten NCAA tournament appearances...

scrooge245

Calipari is a punk. He said that Arkansas wasn't even close to being on Memphis' level, and this is the guy at the top of your list?

scrooge245

Quote from: netteltonhog on February 26, 2007, 06:55:26 am

I would transfer to Tulsa if Calipari was our next head bball coach

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: netteltonhog on February 26, 2007, 06:55:26 am

Agree.

How about Bruce Pearl? I like the way his teams play.

At this point I'd even take Brady from LSU.

spudhog

no tubby. taking calapari would be like taking hitler for a general. but, winning is the most important thing. not that i would ever condone hiring the real hitler ever.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: wincrimson on February 25, 2007, 11:42:26 pm
Question:  Why is Johnny Dawkins' name never mentioned for these jobs?  Is it because Snyder was a bust at Mizzou?  I'd love to see Dawkins here at 'Bama.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he expects the Duke job when Coach K steps down.  Maybe after waiting this long for it, schools now fear that he would leave as soon as coach K left anyway.  I don't know this, just a thought........

jackflash

The basketball team has not played up to expection I agree, Stan has tried to make changes in his staff to better the team, now it has not worked so far.  Tell me in the Nutter time other than Herring, who has he hired to improve his program that he was not force to do .  In Stan time have we had the bad press that we have now in football.  does he offer as many excuse as the Nutter.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

dirtydoghog

Quote from: scrooge245 on February 26, 2007, 07:49:43 am
Calipari is a punk. He said that Arkansas wasn't even close to being on Memphis' level, and this is the guy at the top of your list?

With the talent that Memphis produced last year, to only sign the one player out of that city speaks volumes to me.  No way I would want Calipari as coach.

seqco

I am glad some of you guys aren't making this hire.

onelength

Quote from: sechawgfan on February 26, 2007, 12:37:18 am
Patino......................................Pay him get him here..... He can pull huge talent here with his recruiting and our facilities, its a cant miss situation....... Pay him.
I agree 100%

Corkscrew Johnson

Pitino isn't coming.  He handpicked Louisville because of his infatuation with horse racing, his obsession outside of basketball.

Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on February 25, 2007, 11:30:31 pm
John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

don't see any of those leaving where there at, if not anderson, how about bob huggins at kansas state.  he always was in the tournament at cincinnati, and he has got k-state at 19-9
If we hired Huggins, I better not ever hear another word about "integrity" and the football program again.

razorpimp

Quote from: jackflash on February 26, 2007, 08:15:34 am
The basketball team has not played up to expection I agree, Stan has tried to make changes in his staff to better the team, now it has not worked so far.  Tell me in the Nutter time other than Herring, who has he hired to improve his program that he was not force to do .  In Stan time have we had the bad press that we have now in football.  does he offer as many excuse as the Nutter.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Do you ALWAYS HAVE TO BRING UP NUTT!!!  Good God...this is a basketball thread.

Chris Lowery....he is the most logical, realistic choice.  The guy can coach and his teams play extremely hard.

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: Karma on February 26, 2007, 09:51:36 am
Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on February 25, 2007, 11:30:31 pm
John Calipari

Rick Barnes

Bill Self

Tubby Smith

If we hired Huggins, I better not ever hear another word about "integrity" and the football program again.

so he drinks big deal,  nutt's making a lot of alcoholics in this state

Corkscrew Johnson