Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

instrument rating

Started by gotyacovered, October 05, 2011, 03:49:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

ok... seeing i dont even have my ticket yet, i am probably premature, but--assuming i get my private middle of November, should i get some time under my belt or jump right in?
You are what you tolerate.

ADAM_713

I jumped right in.  Best way to go in my opinion.  It will really improve your flying overall learning all the techniques.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

bvillepig

Jump right in.   You will never regret your IFR ticket.

Flying Razorback

Absolutely, I would at least start taking instrument flights even if you're going to take your time getting your instrument ticket.  This way you have some familiarity in case you end up in a "Whoops" situation or something happens.  It also teaches you great trust in your instruments in case you get in an unusual attitude or something.  In my military training we did basic flying, then went and learned basic instruments for a bit, then went back to perfect our flying schools.  After getting checked out and soloing (pretty much equivalent of getting a private) we went straight in to instruments for a couple of months to get an instrument check ride.  I thought that was the best way to handle it because we built familiarity right in the middle of our normal training.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

fdx flyer

I concur with all the above.

gotyacovered

October 05, 2011, 10:42:58 pm #5 Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:54:13 am by gotyacovered
Thanks fellas, i have about 2.5-3 hours with foggles on, that's the last thing I did with my CFII. I'll have to wait for duck/deer season I would imagine!!!

HawgPilot

I agree with the others.  Two months after I got my private, I went to Sunstate Aviation in FL and got my instrument in 17 days.  It was intense but was awesome!

gotyacovered

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 06, 2011, 09:22:48 am
I agree with the others.  Two months after I got my private, I went to Sunstate Aviation in FL and got my instrument in 17 days.  It was intense but was awesome!

so do you walk out of their with your rating? that is pretty sweet.

bvillepig

I started flying instrument with CFI immediatly after private.
I then enrolled in 14 day scholl at Dothan Alabama to get it done.  it was a great experience.

The ATC guys at Dothan and Ft Rucker handle a lot of trainees with the military and it was very intense but great training. There would be 1-15 planes in the air around Dothan all flying approches and holds and vectors to airways. AT times I thought I was in the middle of Fed Ex at KMEM.

Good luck gotyacovered !!!  Have fun.  Get your written done early so you can concentrate on the fun part.

HawgPilot

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 06, 2011, 09:54:48 am
so do you walk out of their with your rating? that is pretty sweet.

Yes.  They have an examiner on staff to conduct the checkride.  They provide the testing material and the test for your written.  Check it out at www.sunstateaviation.com

gotyacovered

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 06, 2011, 10:34:26 am
Yes.  They have an examiner on staff to conduct the checkride.  They provide the testing material and the test for your written.  Check it out at www.sunstateaviation.com

that is nice.

theFlyingHog

October 09, 2011, 11:21:39 am #11 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:38:36 pm by gotyacovered
I think it's best to do it all close together and keep going up. The more often the better. Unless you start getting burned out because your instructor is a total dick.