Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drake Field Question...

Started by El Guapo, September 12, 2011, 11:55:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

I'm going to have to learn how to fly on a HUD

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

fdx flyer

Congrats!  I bet youll like the HUD.  In the Navy I used to instruct in T-45C's. Got used to it -even dependent on it- pretty fast.  Guys at FedEx complain about them though.  We have them on MD11s and are getting them on 777s.  Its only on the Capt side, and we dont use them on a real regular basis. I think its probably just a currency/comfort level issue. 

Enjoy your tour in LR.  Hopefully you can see a lot of Razorback games!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: fdx flyer on September 25, 2011, 01:50:51 pm
Congrats!  I bet youll like the HUD.  In the Navy I used to instruct in T-45C's. Got used to it -even dependent on it- pretty fast.  Guys at FedEx complain about them though.  We have them on MD11s and are getting them on 777s.  Its only on the Capt side, and we dont use them on a real regular basis. I think its probably just a currency/comfort level issue. 

Enjoy your tour in LR.  Hopefully you can see a lot of Razorback games!

It'll definitely be different.  I've flown the C-17 sim and I didn't like it at first, it really focuses your SA but it's hard to get outside of it or learn how to use it effectively.  I love basic flying principles so I hope this just builds information for me and doesn't suck away some of my basic skills.

Maybe it'll make me better to apply for 777's at Fed Ex in the future...

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 14, 2011, 07:52:17 pm
I'm new to the flying world, but really love to fly and can't wait to keep taking lessons and get my license. But I guess my question would be, (you don't have to answer if you don't want to), what the heck do you guys do to be able to afford even a fixed wing plane much less a beach400? Holy crap that's expensive! Not to mention putting fuel in it, ect.
It'd be my dream to own a plane some day but I can't figure out how it would even be possible for me.

my  two cents for ya...

i just bought 50% of a 182, its not that un-affordable in a single engine piston. it can be hard to find a good pard, but when you do... its not bad. i think it would be cheaper in the long run to get something you can travel in with after you get your ticket--look at a 180/172 at a minimum (IMHO) and IFR equipped. i was given this advice and took it, have yet to regret it.

its all about priorities. i paid off my car, saved up for a few months and dove in head first. bought it 9/1 and currently have about 35 hours. will take my written sometime this month and my checkride (hopefully) in November. i solo'd with about 17 hours.

the expensive part was the 25 hours i did in my first 6 days of flying. at my FBO av gas is $5.99/gal

i am flying in to drake for the AU game this weekend, (if i can score my CFI and his wife--who happens to be my dad and mom :)) some tickets, cant wait.

for those of you who use drake regularly, if we stay over night, whats hanger cost? how often does the shuttle run?

BTW - i started this thread earler, if you see it just ignore it
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=427343.0;topicseen

my plane
You are what you tolerate.

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 03, 2011, 04:57:45 pm
my  two cents for ya...

i just bought 50% of a 182, its not that un-affordable in a single engine piston. it can be hard to find a good pard, but when you do... its not bad. i think it would be cheaper in the long run to get something you can travel in with after you get your ticket--look at a 180/172 at a minimum (IMHO) and IFR equipped. i was given this advice and took it, have yet to regret it.

its all about priorities. i paid off my car, saved up for a few months and dove in head first. bought it 9/1 and currently have about 35 hours. will take my written sometime this month and my checkride (hopefully) in November. i solo'd with about 17 hours.

the expensive part was the 25 hours i did in my first 6 days of flying. at my FBO av gas is $5.99/gal

i am flying in to drake for the AU game this weekend, (if i can score my CFI and his wife--who happens to be my dad and mom :)) some tickets, cant wait.

for those of you who use drake regularly, if we stay over night, whats hanger cost? how often does the shuttle run?

BTW - i started this thread earler, if you see it just ignore it
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=427343.0;topicseen

my plane

that's a beautiful plane! Thanks for the advice! My budget has me at a stand still with lessons right now and it's super frustrating! I know I'm meant to be a pilot though. I could just sit and watch planes take off and land all day. I love it!

AR_dustoff

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 23, 2011, 09:49:12 am
There's so many flying Hogvillians maybe we could get them to open up a "Flying Hogs" forum for aviation?...  Just a thought.  It would be a great place to coordinate rides when multiple folks fly in to a game, coordinate fly ins, and just talk flying.  Also a great place for some networking....  I wouldn't mind getting to know you Fed Ex guys a little better for when I get out, ha.

Any mods willing to support this? 

This^^^ Great networking and maybe some CFI and wannabe pilots can hook up...or pilots link up to split gas/time for a flight to a game.

kingofdequeen

about a third of my fraternity bros were pilots.

fly easy, my friends.  MY fraternity bros could be flying you.

FaytownHog

So, does everyone in this thread fly IN to drake or does anyone fly OUT of drake to some of the away games?

MDH

I've yet to fly into Drake for a game, but now that I know about the shuttle I might consider it.  Although flying from FSM to FYV takes about as long as driving if you factor getting the plane out, etc.  I do have a game this year where I'll be taking a friends daughter to her first ever Razorback game and she lives in Little Rock, so I might consider it for that trip.  FSM - LIT - FYV - LIT - FSM (then back to MEZ at some point).
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Flying Razorback

Quote from: AR_dustoff on October 03, 2011, 05:44:36 pm
This^^^ Great networking and maybe some CFI and wannabe pilots can hook up...or pilots link up to split gas/time for a flight to a game.

So who around here do we have to convince to make this happen???

fdx flyer

Maybe Douglas??  I'll send him a PM and see what he says.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 03, 2011, 07:26:43 pm
Maybe Douglas??  I'll send him a PM and see what he says.

Awesome, I'll do the same, if you get a group of flyers together and a place to talk then you can't stop the conversation.

Cubbie08

FlyingRzbkAF, Congrats on making it back to AR. When you make it up to Fayetteville, give me a shout. You going to go to the 10 year reunion if it ever gets together?

conwaycarl

Quote from: dc10x1103 on September 22, 2011, 07:37:06 am
i am one of the luckiest people on earth.  i flew this plane all over the world, and after i retired, i wasn't ready to hang it up, so i have been flying a corporate jet, a falcon 50, for the past few years.  if there is anything better i don't know what it would be.

Nice to see someone who flies one of our jets. I work for Falcon in Little Rock. We no longer do 50's in LR (now finished in Europe) but I have seen many go through there. If you think the 50 is nice try the new 7x, and coming soon the SMS, (super mid sized)

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Cubbie08 on October 03, 2011, 07:50:45 pm
FlyingRzbkAF, Congrats on making it back to AR. When you make it up to Fayetteville, give me a shout. You going to go to the 10 year reunion if it ever gets together?

Thanks a lot man!  I'll definitely be there now that I'll be in Little Rock.  It'll be a good time.

BloodRedHog

OK, I am seriously thinking of flying to the Auburn game.
Can I count on the shuttle?
Does it really drop you off at the stadium?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

gotyacovered

Quote from: AR_dustoff on October 03, 2011, 05:44:36 pm

this is what i had in mind also

gotyacovered

Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 03, 2011, 09:03:17 pm

from what i understand you can. and not just at drake, i have or have a friend that flew to bama (this year) au and maybe ole miss and each of those had a shuttle also.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on October 03, 2011, 05:10:49 pm
that's a beautiful plane! Thanks for the advice! My budget has me at a stand still with lessons right now and it's super frustrating! I know I'm meant to be a pilot though. I could just sit and watch planes take off and land all day. I love it!

been there. i started when i was 13-14, when my pops was picking up the bill. i got a scholly to play golf at OBU and got distracted with that.

just hang in there.

still, every time my mains leave the runway, i am like holy @#$% i am flying... and i have been flying with my dad since i was an infant.

El Guapo

Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 03, 2011, 09:03:17 pm

Yes... There is a $10 parking fee for the piston ramp parking there at Drake. I would plan on getting there early if i was flying in for the auburn game.

The shuttle will drop you off right in front of the stadium pre-game, but they have to pick up at the chick-fil-a at the corner of MLK and Razorback rd post-game.

have a great trip... looks like the weather is going to be great!
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

Flying Razorback

Quote from: texas hawg on October 03, 2011, 10:14:51 pm
Yes... There is a $10 parking fee for the piston ramp parking there at Drake. I would plan on getting there early if i was flying in for the auburn game.

The shuttle will drop you off right in front of the stadium pre-game, but they have to pick up at the chick-fil-a at the corner of MLK and Razorback rd post-game.

have a great trip... looks like the weather is going to be great!

The weather has been absolutely perfect the past few weeks.  I've been getting my hours in as much as I can while I can still pre-flight in 60 degree sky clear weather. 

I miss civilian flying, but when you guys start talking about costs it reminds me why I don't get to do it.  I get 3-4 hours a day several days a week and could probably get 4-5.5 a day for 5 days a week if I could get away from the desk more.  Reading here I'm going to start to appreciate that a little more.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Grunt on October 03, 2011, 10:43:58 pm
i soloed 23 years ago today

Very nice, talk about an unforgettable day.  It's something everyone should get to do at some point in their lives.

Doug

Guys, I'm not the one you need to ask about this (your PMs).

You need to talk to The 1.  You know who he is. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My dream is to tie up in Knoxville one of these days on a road trip in my boat. Can't afford the fuel for that round trip yet. It will probably have to wait a long while...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hambunctious

Quote from: texas hawg on September 12, 2011, 08:08:11 pm
Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

LOL, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your avatar.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Douglas on October 03, 2011, 11:35:03 pm
Guys, I'm not the one you need to ask about this (your PMs).

You need to talk to The 1.  You know who he is. :)

Thanks for the heads up and I have sent another request to him.  Hopefully we get serious consideration.

I know I'd be more than willing to talk for hours about aviation and especially Arkansas aviation.  Would you guys still be interested in an Arkansas Aviation board on Hogville?

MDH

Without a doubt, though my focus is not as much on flying as it is working on them, I still love aircraft in general- I should specify fixed wing as I'm not a fan of Helicopters.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on October 04, 2011, 09:39:16 am
Without a doubt, though my focus is not as much on flying as it is working on them, I still love aircraft in general- I should specify fixed wing as I'm not a fan of Helicopters.

I agree, all I've ever known is fixed wing.  One of the bigger decisions I had in life was when I finished my primary Air Force training and had the opportunity to head to Fort Rucker to train for Air Force helos or go to fix wing training.  I decided I wanted to be able to fly my own jet overseas instead of having to pack it in the back of someone else's to be unpacked overseas. 

However, those dudes do some awesome flying.  I'd like to try it out, but I don't know if I could make a career of it.

Flying Razorback

The administration was nice enough to help make this happen.  We now have a flying board to discuss all things Arkansas flying and aviation related.  This will be the perfect place to discuss flying in to games, accomodations, and what not.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=104.0

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 04, 2011, 09:33:46 am
Would you guys still be interested in an Arkansas Aviation board on Hogville?

W/o question... Yes.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 04, 2011, 11:31:30 am
The administration was nice enough to help make this happen.  We now have a flying board to discuss all things Arkansas flying and aviation related.  This will be the perfect place to discuss flying in to games, accomodations, and what not.

When pigs fly... Awesome.

kingofdequeen

am i going to be able to hop on one of the flights?

i can provide in-flight entertainment.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 04, 2011, 02:39:41 pm
am i going to be able to hop on one of the flights?

i can provide in-flight entertainment.

It's probably better than guys flying with empty seats up to the games...

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 04, 2011, 02:47:06 pm
It's probably better than guys flying with empty seats up to the games...

thats right, its called 'cost sharing'!!!! but i would charge KoD 2x's b/c he would, without question, provide "entertainment"

gotyacovered

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 03, 2011, 04:57:45 pm

SteveInArk

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 04, 2011, 11:31:30 am

Good work, FRAF and others .... I will be keeping up on here with you guys.  Already read all the posts and enjoy the "talk".  Takes me back to my USAF flying years (non-pilot)....  Thanks for getting the forum approved.  And thanks to Lanny.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 23, 2011, 09:49:12 am
There's so many flying Hogvillians maybe we could get them to open up a "Flying Hogs" forum for aviation?...  Just a thought.  It would be a great place to coordinate rides when multiple folks fly in to a game, coordinate fly ins, and just talk flying.  Also a great place for some networking....  I wouldn't mind getting to know you Fed Ex guys a little better for when I get out, ha.

Any mods willing to support this? 

When pigs fly.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

kingofdequeen

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 04, 2011, 04:00:44 pm
thats right, its called 'cost sharing'!!!! but i would charge KoD 2x's b/c he would, without question, provide "entertainment"

are we flying to Biloxi in Feb for the annual FaG trip to Dillar's for the Magtown Warmup??

gotyacovered

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 05, 2011, 08:34:03 am
are we flying to Biloxi in Feb for the annual FaG trip to Dillar's for the Magtown Warmup??

gotta be scheduled right, i am planning on flying to new mexico skiing late feb and then--may not be flying to this one--to copper mtn for some spring break skiing.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 05, 2011, 08:35:38 am
gotta be scheduled right, i am planning on flying to new mexico skiing late feb and then--may not be flying to this one--to copper mtn for some spring break skiing.

well...email me your sched and i'll see if i can work an up itinerary.

ADAM_713

MTN flying is alot different.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on October 05, 2011, 08:55:21 am

Here's one of those frat bros i'm talking about.

a reasonable facsimile of Adam_713 could be flying the jet on your next flight.

"get in"

ADAM_713

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 05, 2011, 09:00:49 am
Here's one of those frat bros i'm talking about.

a reasonable facsimile of Adam_713 could be flying the jet on your next flight.

"get in"

Dude I am not Carl "go around" Abbot.
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

gotyacovered

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 05, 2011, 08:46:39 am
well...email me your sched and i'll see if i can work an up itinerary.

no need for email.

NM=late feb, CO=spring break.

kingofdequeen

gotyacovered

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on October 05, 2011, 08:55:21 am

i typed "i know"... but del it b/c i really dont. i know what people have told me and i understand the effects it has on the airplane and the wx differences, but i havent experiened it as PIC. as a <100 hour pilot at that time i wont fly west of denver. NM is high, but i wont get into the mountains... or if i do, itll be KSKX and its 7,000.

i used to live in Kansas and we flew to CO and NM multiple times a year in the mooney and 310, so i have been around it, but doubt i will fly my 182 out there, or if i do, it'll be into the Denver area and catch a shuttle or rent a car.

BTW--i am open to any input you guys have. 

ADAM_713

It's not like I have a ton of experience, but living out here you hear alot of stories of guys flying up to go skiing and underestimating the risks.  Most of those guys I have heard about are from texas, so that makes sense ha. 

Future father in law has a Maule tail-dragger on the west slope in Montrose.  I will see if I can get some pics of his canyon flying on that side of the Rockies.  Freaking crazy stuff. 

Denver is a sweet airport.  Lot's of shuttles that will take you directly to the MTNs from here.  Check out Keystone, night skiing is fun.
true story...

El Guapo

I like flying in to Salida and skiing Monarch and also Alamosa and skiing Wolf Creek.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

gotyacovered

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on October 05, 2011, 09:23:22 am
It's not like I have a ton of experience, but living out here you hear alot of stories of guys flying up to go skiing and underestimating the risks.  Most of those guys I have heard about are from texas, so that makes sense ha. 

Future father in law has a Maule tail-dragger on the west slope in Montrose.  I will see if I can get some pics of his canyon flying on that side of the Rockies.  Freaking crazy stuff. 

Denver is a sweet airport.  Lot's of shuttles that will take you directly to the MTNs from here.  Check out Keystone, night skiing is fun.

i bet those pics are saaweeeet. we went to keystone, red river and crested butte last year. that was my first time to crested butte, other than my separated ribs, messed up wrist and shoulder... i loved it. went down big chute in a heavy snow, almost a white out and ate it. slid, flipped and rolled almost all the way down it. and then i almost got beheaded by my ski.

i have been going skiing at least once a year since i could walk. flying is about the only other thing i would rather be doing.