Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

have the forum owners considered scrapping php in favor of Facebooks HipHopVirtualMachine

Started by intelligence, July 29, 2014, 02:08:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

I'm not sure how up to date you guys are on the PHP community but facebooks drop in replacement for PHP is pretty amazing. I haven't tested smf, but it would most likely run right out of the box. Drop by facebooks github for instructions on how to install it in your staging environment. If you need to use redis ie for sessions the implementation is partially broken, however I've authored a small class for redis to work around the failure to load the extension. With hhvm you can even write PHP extension in PHP itself. Id definitely recommend you check it out. Could substantially increase the availability of hogville during periods of high load, and it would male your forum more responsive

Doug

Hogville availability during high loads is a thing of the past. I can have another web server spun up in 15 minutes, 100% synced and brought into the cluster without blinking an eye.

Integrating Hogville into a third party Social Media platform, where it runs within that platform, is not possible, due to how our cluster is set up. The database server is not accessible via any public network, and in order for the front ends to work properly, they have to have a call up to not only the "internal" MySQL DB, but also a few other things, including the CDN and Load Balancers.

Hogville does not run a typical server configuration. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Hawg_Thai'd

I have no clue what you guys are discussing, but if it has anything to do with using a Facebook account to login, it was nice knowing ya. I had a Youtube account until they went to a requirement for a Google account to login. I don't do social media like FB or Twitter and I don't do Google. If it is something to do with a FB account, please don't.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Doug

Hawg, take a breather.... facebook accounts for login requirements will never be implemented while I'm around as Tech Admin. :)

We might eventually have an OPTIONAL Twitter login, however, it will not be a requirement. Facebook's privacy policies conflict way too much with Hogville's privacy policy, so we will never integrate a Facebook login mechanism. :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Doug on July 29, 2014, 11:15:57 am
Hawg, take a breather.... facebook accounts for login requirements will never be implemented while I'm around as Tech Admin. :)

We might eventually have an OPTIONAL Twitter login, however, it will not be a requirement. Facebook's privacy policies conflict way too much with Hogville's privacy policy, so we will never integrate a Facebook login mechanism. :)

As Gus Malzan says: "BOOM!"

And that is why you are my favorite tech!
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

intelligence

Quote from: Doug on July 29, 2014, 08:38:37 am
Hogville availability during high loads is a thing of the past. I can have another web server spun up in 15 minutes, 100% synced and brought into the cluster without blinking an eye.

Integrating Hogville into a third party Social Media platform, where it runs within that platform, is not possible, due to how our cluster is set up. The database server is not accessible via any public network, and in order for the front ends to work properly, they have to have a call up to not only the "internal" MySQL DB, but also a few other things, including the CDN and Load Balancers.

Hogville does not run a typical server configuration. :)
Lol, its not a social media platform, that's hilarious stuff. its a fast-cgi daemon for php. HHVM is byte code JIT compiler for php and/or hack programming languages. Facebook created it in 2010, then opensourced it a short time later. I'm just trying to clue you in on a secret in the industry. all the big boys who use php use HHVM. It offers performance on par and in some cases even superior to node.js. what i'm telling you is, you will handle 3x times the requests at 1/3 of the server load, and you will rarely see a waiting request, especially when combined with nginx.

These days, installing it is easy as adding a package to apt then installing via apt.

https://github.com/facebook/hhvm

http://hhvm.com

https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/wiki/Prebuilt%20Packages%20for%20HHVM

Delicious~Dreams

Beware of Facebook.    I like Hogville and how Doug has it set up just fine:)

intelligence

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on July 29, 2014, 02:03:20 pm
Beware of Facebook.    I like Hogville and how Doug has it set up just fine:)

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about. I am discussing a technical matter regarding software run on an application server within a website infrastructure. It has nothing to do with facebook, other than the fact that facebook just happened to write the software. I'm not asking the forum to integrate a facebook login. The fact that anyone could confuse this speaks volumes towards said person's reading comprehension and intelligence.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: intelligence on July 29, 2014, 02:17:15 pm
Please don't talk about things you know nothing about. I am discussing a technical matter regarding software run on an application server within a website infrastructure. It has nothing to do with facebook, other than the fact that facebook just happened to write the software. I'm not asking the forum to integrate a facebook login. The fact that anyone could confuse this speaks volumes towards said person's reading comprehension and intelligence.
Thank you.   

DLUXHOG

Quote from: intelligence on July 29, 2014, 02:17:15 pm

How long have you been a jerk?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Doug

Social Media Platform not withstanding, the rest of what I said applies as far as how this cluster is configured. While we do utilize PHP, it's strictly on the front end nodes and is heavily customized to operate within our current platform.

All static content (images, Javascript files (we do not utilize node.js as far as I am aware), standard HTML/PHP files without any dynamic content, etc) are handled via our own internal CDN system and NginX.

Hogville has run on a clustered set up in some fashion since 2005. Each year after, we've ended up adding one additional server to the mix through 2009. It wasn't, however, a true load balanced system until October of last year.

As I said, we're running a rather interesting load balanced multiple server infrastructure. One that was specifically customized for Hogville and has since been put into production for several of our Hosting Provider's other clients.

If I were to give a technical comparison to another hosting provider that has a nearly scalable solution as what we have here, it would be Rackspace (one of the most respected Hosting providers in the world when it comes to a fully redundant true load balanced clustered hosting system). For the record, even Verio couldn't (read: wouldn't) do what we needed.

We're not changing anything, at this time. We've got a fantastic infrastructure and great people behind it (so great that I actually left my last job to come and work for these guys... after 8+ years with the previous employer. That should tell you something).

While I appreciate the suggestion, your method of delivery also leaves a lot to be desired. :)
--Doug

intelligence

Quote from: Doug on July 29, 2014, 02:59:01 pm
Social Media Platform not withstanding
I think you meant to say `Social Media Platform withdstanding`.
, the rest of what I said applies as far as how this cluster is configured.
That has absolutely zero relevance to application servers and how they proxy script execute fron nginx to the fast-cgi gateway, which in your case is php5-fastcgi

While we do utilize PHP, it's strictly on the front end nodes and is heavily customized to operate within our current platform.
Customized as in you forked the source code of php, or customized as in you compiled some extra modules for it, like libgd, libexif, redis, pear, zend etc.  If its the latter, you'll be pleased that HHVM comes with most of the major optional php packages preinstalled. It also comes with strong session ids, improved prngs and built in protection against stack overflow vulnerabilities via $_POST, $_GET,$_FILES,$_REQUEST etc.if you need anything else it doesn't have already, its  the same procedure  as compiling php5 with custom plugins.

All static content (images, Javascript files (we do not utilize node.js as far as I am aware), standard HTML/PHP files without any dynamic content, etc) are handled via our own internal CDN system and NginX.
Ok, but that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Hogville has run on a clustered set up in some fashion since 2005. Each year after, we've ended up adding one additional server to the mix through 2009. It wasn't, however, a true load balanced system until October of last year.
I've been around for a while, and i've had the privilege of watching it grow. I didn't think you guys would be able to scale it after the board crashed multiple times in 2010 and 2011, but you did just fine at combating the problem and the website has really scaled nicely.

As I said, we're running a rather interesting load balanced multiple server infrastructure. One that was specifically customized for Hogville and has since been put into production for several of our Hosting Provider's other clients.
Hey thats cool man. Scalinng websites is a fun and sometimes excruciating challenge. what you runnin up front, Haproxy?
If I were to give a technical comparison to another hosting provider that has a nearly scalable solution as what we have here, it would be Rackspace (one of the most respected Hosting providers in the world when it comes to a fully redundant true load balanced clustered hosting system). For the record, even Verio couldn't (read: wouldn't) do what we needed.
If you are claiming that your architechture is superior to Rackspace's that's certainly impressive. I'm going to assume you mean its better than the cloud packages they offer, which in my opinion suck. The alternatives are not very good. I recently migrated a client from rackspace to soyoustart, a dedi company with reasonable plans for above average hardware at reasonable prices. Of course, the downside is manual labor..

We're not changing anything, at this time. We've got a fantastic infrastructure and great people behind it (so great that I actually left my last job to come and work for these guys... after 8+ years with the previous employer. That should tell you something).
Hey thats cool, i meant no disrespect to you and your team. Hogville is a great site and i love it. Its certainly came along way as far as availability and response time. good job guys :-)
While I appreciate the suggestion, your method of delivery also leaves a lot to be desired. :)
Sorry about that. I've been really fired up about the project since i started working with it. I can't think of anything out there in the web to compare it to, its that cutting edge of technology. I think this is the first time anyone has been able to surpass the performance of C++, and the fact that its done in php is almost unbelievable.

Here is a brief video from Facebooks "Hack Dev Day"  where one of the Software Engineers explains how they achieved these performance gains. the memory structure of HHVM is extraordinary. If anything, this is atleast a good primer on how the stack works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT4LxjJd2Ac