Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fri-Sun (9/22-9/24) updates: Phillips close, Steere talks, Leblanc out, Hellems

Started by Kevin McPherson, September 22, 2017, 02:42:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Friday (09/22/17) updates ...

* Ian Steere told me Arkansas coaches have contacted him already since his de-commit today from Creighton. He told me he will cut down his list of schools by sometime next week, and at that time will get back with coaches/programs that have reached out.

* Reggie Chaney told me that Oklahoma State will get his 5th OV ... he just visited the Hogs, has TA&M next (Sept 29-Oct 1), then Wichita (Oct 13-15), then TCU (Oct. 20-22), and Oklahoma State is still TBD.

* Jordan Phillips left this morning to visit Georgetown ... he told me yesterday that Hogs still lead for his services.

* '19 Isaac McBride, a 6-1 combo guard at Baptist Prep in LR who finished July grassroots playing for the Arkansas Hawks 16U, just picked up an offer from D1 Abilene Christian ... he already has an offer from the Little Rock Trojans, and Arkansas associate HC Melvin Watkins stays in touch with him.

The Hogfather

I have watched some recent video of Reggie Chaney and he really impressed me.  I would love to add him.  That means he will probably not sign with the Hogs.

Kevin McPherson

* Josh Leblanc just told me he has eliminated the Hogs. Says he's down to Georgetown, TA&M, and LSU. He's really been all over the map with his list, won't be surprised if this changes again.

navyhog24

I wonder if it is more of the Hogs moving on from him, like maybe they got good news from someone else

batmanfan

Just nail two of our remaining top targets and I'll be happy. As long is one is a post.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 22, 2017, 04:39:20 pm
* Josh Leblanc just told me he has eliminated the Hogs. Says he's down to Georgetown, TA&M, and LSU. He's really been all over the map with his list, won't be surprised if this changes again.

With Leblanc out of the picture, do you think we have any kind of shot at Hellums?

Hawg Red

MakingPlays

Not surprising about LeBlanc, I've felt since he took the TA&M visit he really wasn't that high on the Hogs anymore. 

Chaney needs to be the top guy, because he can play both the 4 and 5 spot. We land him and the class is set and everything else is just icing on the cake.  We land Chaney, then we have the options of getting Phillips, save the last scholarship for the Spring, or give to Justice Hill.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 22, 2017, 05:12:13 pm
Jordan Phillips and Reggie Chaney, let's go.

Dunno, Hellem's shot looks mighty good to me.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 22, 2017, 05:04:30 pm
With Leblanc out of the picture, do you think we have any kind of shot at Hellums?

Sure. His AAU coach, Corey Frazier, told me that Arkansas has probably been the most consistent program in terms of Hellems' recruitment, and Frazier believes Arkansas is "high on his list." He has a lot of respect for Hogs assistant coach Scotty Thurman.

Hogs offered in mid-July, soon after that he named UA in his Top 7, but he's been pretty quiet about his true interest level in Arkansas ... BUT the Hog coaches did go in to see him last week in St. Louis (at the school and in-home) ... and he's still got OVs to take.  Maybe the staff feels good about it's chances. He's a heckuva player and another example of a Hog Plan A offer who's still in play.

hogwood

So it seems now it's down to Chaney, Phillips, Steere, and Hellems as the top targets for now. It seems we have good chances with 3/4 and that Steere is unknown right now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on September 22, 2017, 06:31:46 pm
So it seems now it's down to Chaney, Phillips, Steere, and Hellems as the top targets for now. It seems we have good chances with 3/4 and that Steere is unknown right now.

Yeah, any combo of those 4 would be fantastic. Hopefully we'll find out soon what Steere's recalibrated list is.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 22, 2017, 06:40:06 pm
Yeah, any combo of those 4 would be fantastic. Hopefully we'll find out soon what Steere's recalibrated list is.

We would be OK if we were to get anyone of those (preferably a big)to go with what we have now,,, could save the final for the spring, give to JH or even use next year for HS or Juco... can't play all 13 .. we are in good shape going forward .. so in my book 1 more and the rest is gravy,...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 22, 2017, 04:39:20 pm

He might have been all over the map but there were two constants... A&M and LSU... look for it to be one of those two...

HogFoo

Quote from: hogwood on September 22, 2017, 06:31:46 pm
any combo of those 4 would work for me.  I personally like Jordan  the 6'7 guard who can handle the rock.  Reminds me of Joe Johnson I feel like he would be a difference maker.  I would love to have a big inside dude.  Either Chaney or Steere.  Chaney only 6'8 but about 230lb if I remember  and Steere was about 6'10.  Steere looked like a beast inside!  When I saw his video I was like damn. Was very sad when he chose Creighton over us.  I wonder if us losing Perry made him like us more.  Enough to decommit.  I believe Chaney had an outside shot tho, since apparently coaches were saying they would like for him to play like Portis.  I'd say Jordan, for sure, any combo for the rest.  That would probably jump us up to having the #1 class again too.  And that is a lot of talent.  Just makes ya smile seeing all this talent coming thru the Hill again.  Hogs will be back where they deserve very soon!  #WPS
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Kevin McPherson

Saturday (9/23/17) updates ... below are my tweets today regarding Jericole Hellems ...

* '18 Hog offer @JericoleHellems (6-7 SF, Brad Beal Elite) has Hogs "high on his list", according to BBE 17U head coach Corey Frazier!

* "Arkansas has probably been the most consistent program in (Hellem's) recruitment," Frazier said. "I think they'll get a visit."

* .@JericoleHellems had a huge Nike Peach Jam performance, earning at least 20 offers that wknd, incl the Hogs. He's visited NCSt & SCarolina.

* Frazier confirmed that Hog coaches were in to see @JericoleHellems recently, both at his school (St. Louis Chaminade) and an in-home visit.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 23, 2017, 09:07:58 am
Saturday (9/23/17) updates ... below are my tweets today regarding Jericole Hellems ...

* '18 Hog offer @JericoleHellems (6-7 SF, Brad Beal Elite) has Hogs "high on his list", according to BBE 17U head coach Corey Frazier!

* "Arkansas has probably been the most consistent program in (Hellem's) recruitment," Frazier said. "I think they'll get a visit."

* .@JericoleHellems had a huge Nike Peach Jam performance, earning at least 20 offers that wknd, incl the Hogs. He's visited NCSt & SCarolina.

* Frazier confirmed that Hog coaches were in to see @JericoleHellems recently, both at his school (St. Louis Chaminade) and an in-home visit.

Sounds great.. the more you see him on video the better he looks.. do you take any two.. ie. Hellems/Phillips or do you have to take a big.. ie Steere/Chaney?  I know a big makes sense, but how could you pass if both Hellems and Phillips wanted to come, though they virtually play the same position.. one's more of a facilitator that can play a couple of positions while the other is more of a scorer.. but, in general they are both big guard/small forward types...

mhuff

Like the way that Hellems looks offensively. Arkansas has needed forever a PF and SF that could score. I don't know about his defense  ,but I really like his offense

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 23, 2017, 09:26:59 am
Sounds great.. the more you see him on video the better he looks.. do you take any two.. ie. Hellems/Phillips or do you have to take a big.. ie Steere/Chaney?  I know a big makes sense, but how could you pass if both Hellems and Phillips wanted to come, though they virtually play the same position.. one's more of a facilitator that can play a couple of positions while the other is more of a scorer.. but, in general they are both big guard/small forward types...

I think Arkansas needs to pick up another big. Now, they shouldn't reach in doing so, but with 6 total scholarships to give and 3 bigs leaving the program (Thompson, Thomas, and Cook) they simply can't bring in a class with only one interior player (right now, that's Ethan Henderson). If not Chaney or Steere, maybe they envision Hellems being another undersized combo-4 type (what they projected Thomas to be), but Chaney or Steere would be my preference for answering the need of another big. Nothing against Hellems, but IMO he's a 3 or a combo-4 who's more perimeter-oriented.

I think a Hellems and Chaney (or Steere) finish, or Phillips and Chaney (or Steere) finish would be ideal. Hogs might be looking to add 3 more players, which is complicated based on the current numbers.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 23, 2017, 11:34:24 am
I think Arkansas needs to pick up another big. Now, they shouldn't reach in doing so, but with 6 total scholarships to give and 3 bigs leaving the program (Thompson, Thomas, and Cook) they simply can't bring in a class with only one interior player (right now, that's Ethan Henderson). If not Chaney or Steere, maybe they envision Hellems being another undersized combo-4 type (what they projected Thomas to be), but Chaney or Steere would be my preference for answering the need of another big. Nothing against Hellems, but IMO he's a 3 or a combo-4 who's more perimeter-oriented.

I think a Hellems and Chaney (or Steere) finish, or Phillips and Chaney (or Steere) finish would be ideal. Hogs might be looking to add 3 more players, which is complicated based on the current numbers.

Looking to add 3 more for 2018? Wonder what gives there. Perplexing.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 23, 2017, 12:09:52 pm
Looking to add 3 more for 2018? Wonder what gives there. Perplexing.
One of two things, CJ Jones transfer or Dan Gafford may be a one and done. Not in practices to know the case with either.

If anything does happen I hope we push hard for an upper class men transfer/JUCO. Bailey is a sophomore but I'm pretty certain he's gonna play. I think the question marks reside with CJ Jones and how much PT he's gonna get. I know the coaches love their current freshman class. Guess Gabe could be the one kid that transfers out but I don't see it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 24, 2017, 02:36:43 pm
One of two things, CJ Jones transfer or Dan Gafford may be a one and done. Not in practices to know the case with either.

Those are the two clearest possibilities to me. I know the coaches already view Gafford as a two-year player based on what they've seen from him. If they don't think Jones is where he should be after two offseasons, it would make sense that they are looking to recruit over him.

Hawg Red

I can't fault the staff if they feel really good about getting Phillips, Chaney and Hellems for going for all 3.

The_Iceman

azhog10

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 24, 2017, 03:59:01 pm
I can't fault the staff if they feel really good about getting Phillips, Chaney and Holmes for going for all 3.
If you mean Hellems I agree. Those three are three you find room for. That freshman class would be loaded.

Dominicanhog

Not anticipating anyone leaving, but Hellems would be a shooter type similar to what CJ gives us, with Hellems a bit more versatile...

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 24, 2017, 06:37:55 pm
If you mean Hellems I agree. Those three are three you find room for. That freshman class would be loaded.

Yeah, Hellems. My bad.

Kevin McPherson

Sunday (9/24/17) updates ...

* Just spoke with Jordan Phillips, who just got back from Georgetown ... I believe he's close to making an announcement ... here are my tweets ...

-- '18 Hog offer @J22Phillips told me his Georgetown visit this wknd "was pretty good" & he'll likely "pass up on" his VaTech visit next wknd!

-- Hogs still in the lead? "Yes sir," @J22Phillips (6-7 wing, Arlington, TX) said. "I appreciate all the love (Hog fans) have been showing me"

* Keonte Kennedy released his Top 6 on Friday afternoon = Michigan, Xavier, Texas Tech, Memphis, VCU, Nebraska ... he was orignally set to OV to Fayetteville Sept 8-10, then he changed it to Oct. 20-22.

* FWIW, Josh Leblanc on his OV this weekend to LSU: "It was alright. It was cool."

ThisGuy

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HardingHog

If we want him, it sounds like Phillips is ours!
Also sounds like Leblanc is headed to A&M. I'd pick Michigan or Memphis as the landing spot for Kennedy

Kevin McPherson

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Hogimus Prime

i hope Phillips commits to the Hogs.  A versatile 6'7" guard to go with guys like Garland, Hall, Jones and Joe would make MA's press and traps a nightmare for the other team

GrizzlyRider07

Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

batmanfan

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on September 25, 2017, 11:31:56 am
So is there a possibility that he doesn't have a committable offer?

This would make some sense, but it sure seems like this staff is really hard after the guy.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on September 25, 2017, 11:31:56 am
So is there a possibility that he doesn't have a committable offer?

Yeah, Kevin's quoting left some questions... and surprise..

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on September 24, 2017, 02:36:43 pm

If anything does happen I hope we push hard for an upper class men transfer/JUCO. Bailey is a sophomore but I'm pretty certain he's gonna play. I think the question marks reside with CJ Jones and how much PT he's gonna get. I know the coaches love their current freshman class. Guess Gabe could be the one kid that transfers out but I don't see it.

Hope CJ proves his worth this year, especially on defense.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 24, 2017, 03:55:26 pm
Those are the two clearest possibilities to me. I know the coaches already view Gafford as a two-year player based on what they've seen from him. If they don't think Jones is where he should be after two offseasons, it would make sense that they are looking to recruit over him.

I would think Gabe O would be the highest possibility of a transfer if one occurs.  He is a guy they took a chance on late due to the Brachen Hazen transfer.  Plus if we landed all remaining recruits which would be Hellums, Phillips, and Chaney, they would have to make room at the forward spots for those guys. 

With that said things are unpredictable.  I would have never thought Jimmy Whitt would have transferred.  So, I never say never on anyone leaving early with the way college basketball is these days. 

mizzouman

For Hellems, don't underestimate Florida for his services.  Florida has had great success with Chaminade players, i.e., Brad Beal and David Lee.

HogFoo

Sure would love to get a commit from Jordan soon.  Something about the 6'7 guard who can handle the ball like that intrigues me.  And I'd also love to hear Chaney call the hogs or Hellums. Apparently Steere may be headed elsewhere.  But, Chaney Big inside, and Jordan , added to our current group, that would be an outstanding class!  It's probably push us back up to being #1 with that class. And we'd probably be a top 5 for the star by get a out there come signing day.  But, dang all those guys I just mentioned with Henderson, sills, joe, mix with gharland, gafford, etc..etc.. man that is a team! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............