Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Somebody convince me this will be a 20 win team

Started by swineology, November 20, 2012, 10:01:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swineology

So far....Rebounding sucks, Mickleson is still soft and will be dominated by SEC teams, we miss too many lay ups and swing for the fences by jacking useless 3's with not one player under the basket.
Powell looks healthy, freshman look like they're playing street ball, half court defense is horrible..

BJ is the only legit player we have..

Thoughts ???

SPAL

Our half court offense looked a lot better and much improved. My issue is with the half court d. We still let guys penetrate and kick it to wide open shooters. There was no reason Akbar muhamed Ali Fraser should have had as many points as he did.

Free throw shooting will cost us a game or two .

We are improving. I know we hate to hear if, but these guys are so young

swineology

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 20, 2012, 10:08:11 pm
Our half court offense looked a lot better and much improved. My issue is with the half court d. We still let guys penetrate and kick it to wide open shooters. There was no reason Akbar muhamed Ali Fraser should have had as many points as he did.

Creighton will be a good measuring stick, IMO

Rawker

Yes...my thought is you need to lighten up.  It's going to be bumpy with all these newcomers, but it looks like the development stages of the same kind of MA style that I watched beat numerous top teams, including Memphis under Calipari (three times, all with Memphis between #5 and #1), a #1 Kentucky team in the NCAAs, and a few Kansas teams as well....all with lesser talent at UAB and a limited spell at MO.  I think, considering that a majority of the team is 3 games out of High School and they won the game by 30, I suggest you take that attitude over to the football board and complain about the sky falling over there.  Those are my thoughts.  I'll give you a slight thumps up in regards to Mickelson though - he looked like crap.

swineology

Quote from: Rawker on November 20, 2012, 10:17:50 pm
Yes...my thought is you need to lighten up.  It's going to be bumpy with all these newcomers, but it looks like the development stages of the same kind of MA style that I watched beat numerous top teams, including Memphis under Calipari (three times, all with Memphis between #5 and #1), a #1 Kentucky team in the NCAAs, and a few Kansas teams as well....all with lesser talent at UAB and a limited spell at MO.  I think, considering that a majority of the team is 3 games out of High School and they won the game by 30, I suggest you take that attitude over to the football board and complain about the sky falling over there.  Those are my thoughts.  I'll give you a slight thumps up in regards to Mickelson though - he looked like crap.
So, it'll be bumpy and MA won with lesser talent?

So the noobs are gonna magically get their game on and win 20.....

LOL...

I'm still not convinced, try harder

::)

rude1

I would try and convince you if I was convinced myself. I have had my doubts from the beginning on how well this team will jell. We added more bodies this year but not any difference makers.

SPAL

I think Arizona state will be a better measuring stick at this point. They have a shot blocker who will be a force down low if we play soft. I don't think they have much of an inside game and Powell should be able to dominate. I'm concerned because they like the 3 and we didn't look good against it tonight.

swineology

Quote from: rude1 on November 20, 2012, 10:27:19 pm
I would try and convince you if I was convinced myself. I have had my doubts from the beginning on how well this team will jell. We added more bodies this year but not any difference makers.

Thanks Rude for a legit response...

I just don't see this team winning 20, next year I'm very optimistic

:razorback: :razorback:

swineology

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 20, 2012, 10:28:27 pm
I think Arizona state will be a better measuring stick at this point. They have a shot blocker who will be a force down low if we play soft. I don't think they have much of an inside game and Powell should be able to dominate. I'm concerned because they like the 3 and we didn't look good against it tonight.

FWIW AZ State is picked to finish dead last in the Pac 12

dsims2k3

Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:01:52 pm
So far....Rebounding sucks, Mickleson is still soft and will be dominated by SEC teams, we miss too many lay ups and swing for the fences by jacking useless 3's with not one player under the basket.
Powell looks healthy, freshman look like they're playing street ball, half court defense is horrible..

Thoughts ???

Lighten up. Things have changed. This is not your big brother's Jump Ball. With that said, Mick seems to be more of a finesse player. He will be fine as long as he plays within himself. I'm not expecting him to be a Tyler Hansborough (sp.).
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

bolo1010

Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:24:31 pm

LOL...

Why do we have to convince you?  I think the team we have now can beat any team we have had in the past 10 years.  Thats not saying much but I see a lot of potential out there. A lot of room for improvement but a lot of potential.

I was frustrated seeing so many missed shots under the basket tho. That will improve with game experience.

Im convinced we will win 20+ but I guess we shall see.

dsims2k3

It's quite obvious that this team has room to grow. Which makes sense since more than half of the team are newcomers. If no one else can, I can clearly see the difference between this year's team versus the teams of the past four seasons.

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

SPAL

Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:35:24 pm
FWIW AZ State is picked to finish dead last in the Pac 12

Maybe but they beat famu about like we did. I'm not sure they are better than Sam Houston state and its a game we should win.

swineology

Quote from: bolo1010 on November 20, 2012, 10:44:21 pm
Why do we have to convince you? I think the team we have now can beat any team we have had in the past 10 years.  Thats not saying much but I see a lot of potential out there. A lot of room for improvement but a lot of potential.

I was frustrated seeing so many missed shots under the basket tho. That will improve with game experience.

Im convinced we will win 20+ but I guess we shall see.

Just an honest question...you don't have to be a Richard....

Hogville is all about opinion, I've stated mine and you, yours....

Maybe I should've made this post a poll...

bolo1010

Quote from: dsims2k3 on November 20, 2012, 10:51:44 pm
It's quite obvious that this team has room to grow. Which makes sense since more than half of the team are newcomers. If no one else can, I can clearly see the difference between this year's team versus the teams of the past four seasons.

I think anybody with just a slight of basketball knowledge can see that this TEAM is better than the jumbled mess we have try to put together the past few years.

The players are young but still know their role and i see no selfishness ball being played.  We are actually a TEAM again.

I aint saying they will be world beaters this year and there will be a lot of WTFs but it will be a fun season and im going to sit back enjoy it.

dsims2k3

Quote from: bolo1010 on November 20, 2012, 10:57:48 pm
I think anybody with just a slight of basketball knowledge can see that this TEAM is better than the jumbled mess we have try to put together the past few years.

The players are young but still know their role and i see no selfishness ball being played.  We are actually a TEAM again.

I aint saying they will be world beaters this year and there will be a lot of WTFs but it will be a fun season and im going to sit back enjoy it.
agreed.

bolo1010

November 20, 2012, 11:02:04 pm #16 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:15:22 pm by bolo1010
Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:54:45 pm
Just an honest question...you don't have to be a Richard....

Hogville is all about opinion, I've stated mine and you, yours....

Maybe I should've made this post a poll...

I gotcha.  And I totally agree with you about Mickleson. He just didnt put his self in the right position down low to score or grab rebounds and will get bullied this year by big guys if he dont man up.  Was frustrated with his play tonight.

dsims2k3

FWIW I really like Mick's potential to be a force down low defensively. The guy can be a shot blocking machine.

choppedporkextrasauce

OMG somebody got 14 point against us, Damn Dec. 21st is rapidly approaching, newly unearthed Mayan stones were unearth showing the Hogs didn't get a dunk by Michael Qualls and only won by 29 points. It's a sign of the sun's impending nova.  ;)

bolo1010

Quote from: dsims2k3 on November 20, 2012, 11:06:22 pm
FWIW I really like Mick's potential to be a force down low defensively. The guy can be a shot blocking machine.

He can play better than what he did tonight. He did have a couple nice passes but needs to work on his post up game. But yes he proved last year he can block well.

sportswriter41

Well Frankly I'm impressed with the difference in Ky Madden. The improvement between last year and this year is UNREAL !!!! The kid has been coached a LOT in the offseason and it shows....

I am also impressed with the number of assists we had in this game. This group is very unselfish and moves the ball up and down the court with confidence.

I don't see how anyone can say we just added bodies and they don't see a difference after just watching one game ???????

Don't get me wrong I'm not ready to put us in the final four. But the truth is with Powell on this team and the improvements in Madden , plus having BJ on the team. We have a ton of potential.

Oh and Wade isn't too bad either. And didn't that one freshmen have 20 points and 10 rebounds in the game the other day ? I'm too high to remember his name right now...

I'd like to see the young guys a few more times before deciding what kind of year this is going to be, but Im betting you are going to see the lights come on for many of them fast.

Oh and this crud about Mickelson .... Dump it.. The kid had an off game. He is not so finesse !!!!! The kid has beast talent you'll see.

Danny J

We will win 20 this year one way or another. I think we could win 20 before the sec tourny UNLESS a major injury or total team implosion.

sportswriter41

With regards to convincing you this team will win twenty I can add only this.......

Come on man !!!!!! Come on !!!!!!

:razorback:

bolo1010

Quote from: sportswriter41 on November 20, 2012, 11:20:43 pm
With regards to convincing you this team will win twenty I can add only this.......

Come on man !!!!!! Come on !!!!!!

:razorback:

I with this guy... all the motivation you need to believe is..

Come on man!!!   

Boobs!

Danny J

This team is going to be a lot better. We are not going to have to settle for as many 3 point shots. This team attacks hard and I mean hard. BJ goes so strong to the rim and even Wade much more this year compared to the last couple years. This team is confident and has swagger.

cmiller01

I think alot of of the struggles we saw tonight was a team simply looking past tonight game to ASU on Friday. That will be our measuring stick.

Foshodo

i've heard the open 3's complaint a lot so far early in this season... makes me wonder how many people really remember the end of Nolan's tenure when people speculate MA was actually running things to prepare for his own time... we were always getting gutted by open threes... it drove me crazy then and it does now.

all i can really say to try to convince would be we have legit inside/outside with BJ/Marshawn. we have a guy in scott who seems to thrive leading the second unit. we have smart athletic wings and a whole team committed to the style defense Anderson wants. we have 2 shooters now in Bell and Wade (i know Bell struggled tonight) Madden doesnt interfere with the scoring much handling all the smaller parts of the game and Hunter doesnt get in the way of  Marshawn while learning to be a big man.

we technically have all the pieces... it really all depends on the mistakes of the new kids.

RockChalkJayhawk

Wait ... win by 30 and the sky is falling?  ???

This was my first look at these kids, so here goes ...  Let's begin by recognizing there are a lot of new kids in this program and this team hasn't played many minutes together yet.  I thought they looked far more organized than last year.  They played under control and shared the ball for the most part, 15 assists and only 9 turnovers.

I thought the team was under control defensively, pressuring and creating tempo without being out of position for the most part.  They wore down FAMU and the game was no contest from the tip.  Had to like Powell's performance; efficient and effective with no particular signs of rust.  There were many positives that I saw but I won't continue to ramble.  My only negative observation really, is that when this team sees some real muscle and size, they are going to be in trouble. 

Now, FAMU is gawd-awful and no legitimate measuring stick for anyone or anything.  This upcoming six-game stretch is going to be more revealing in terms of what to expect against quality competition.   Obviously against good teams, shot-selection and rebounding are going to be much more important. 

tha_shephard

As long as we can play some half court defense when neccessary and defend the pick and roll and run a half court offense when neccessary then it could possibly be a 20 win team

Rawker

Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:24:31 pm

LOL...

So my voice of reason is funny to you?  BTW, by "lesser talent" I meant he won those big games of the past with lesser talent than the other teams had by implementing a wild game that many teams have trouble with.  But this completely relates to the current situation, because even with players very much in the developmental stage - and that INCLUDES BJ, Ky, and Hunter - some fun things will happen.  Also, notice that no where in my post did I say that they would win 20 games...it's not my bag to try to convince Chicken Little that the sky will stay up, so I don't have to try harder.  Even though I have no interested in convincing anyone that watching OTHER guys play a sport is basically just a fun pasttime and not for fretting, I would suggest that you get used to the style of play if you haven't seen it before, and have fun with the ride - especially when the ride is a 30-point win - because it is indeed going to be bumpy with newcomers that are all going to each have specific roles that they haven't learned yet.  I'm personally going to love every minute of it, cuz I know with the MA style of chaos and the boys they have coming in, this team is worth watching on the way up.  The future notwithstanding, the current bunch is the best bunch in 10 years.  20 wins?  Not a betting guy, and experience is such a major factor.

311Hog

i was actually impressed with Clarke, Powell, and Young.  I thought we looked much better then in previous years sure not perfect, but we werent exactly being tested.

swineology

Quote from: bolo1010 on November 20, 2012, 11:24:09 pm
I with this guy... all the motivation you need to believe is..

Come on man!!!   

Boobs!

Now I'm convinced.... ;D

Razorod

Main thing I'm hoping for is improvement as the season progresses. I'd rather see us start slowly and build, rather than jump out of the gates like last year and then fade at the end.

Young and Powell are the only two true difference makers on the team--guys who could play anywhere they wanted to. The individual games and season will probably go as they go.

Still think we're a solid NIT, perhaps bubble NCAA team.

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

I think we are a 20-win team.

Problem is, our schedule this year is much tougher than years past. So how much better we are may not show in the win total increase.

Swinesong1

Quote from: swineology on November 20, 2012, 10:10:10 pm
Creighton will be a good measuring stick, IMO
Since people are already complaining (not you) about the Hog's performance thus far, I thought I'd do a little comparative study with the one common opponent between nationally ranked Creighton and the Hogs and that's Longwood:
a.  Longwood lost by 48 pts to Creighton.  Lost by 49 to Hogs
b.  Creighton outrebounded Longwood by 8.  Hogs were +17
c.  Longwood's 3 pt% versus Creighton - 18.8% (3 of 16).  Versus Hogs - 23.5 (4 of 17)
d.  Creighton shot 64.8% from the floor, Hogs shot 52.4%
e.  Creighton turned the ball over 11x.  Hogs 14
f.   Creighton had 27 assists, Hogs had 27.
g.  Creighton held Longwood to a fg% of 37.9, Hogs - 39.6%

Against a common opponent, the Hogs performed just as well or better as the #14 ranked team in the country. 

havok

From what I remember.. during the golden years of Nolan's top 10 teams.  Ark wasn't a big time rebounding team.  We seemed to sacrifice rebound positioning, with more of a in the Passing lanes, attacking the ball while it was in the opponent's possession team. 

Often we ended up behind the other team in Rebounding stats... but crushed them on steals and easy baskets.  The kind of stuff that got the crowd roaring into a fever pitch.

latrops

Quote from: rude1 on November 20, 2012, 10:27:19 pm

Why will Arkansas win 20?  Easy, last year they won 18 with a bunch of freshmen and without Powell.  Powell is a difference maker.  This team has two legit all conference type players in BJ and Powell, and is much deeper and more athletic than last year.

Think about this...every SEC team except South Carolina won at least 15 last year.  Put yourself in the middle of the SEC rather than the bottom, and you are at 20 wins, maybe a couple more.

Hawgphish

We do need to be patient.  I have all the confidence that MA can get it done.  But this team is mediocre.  And why does Powell and Mickelson still look as if they have never seen the weight room. 

In the words of a wise man....Larry Johnson..."we need some men"

jry04

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 21, 2012, 08:22:12 am
We do need to be patient.  I have all the confidence that MA can get it done.  But this team is mediocre.  And why does Powell and Mickelson still look as if they have never seen the weight room. 

I guess you didn't see Arkansas play last year? Mickelson was about 25 lbs lighter. He has gained quite a bit of mass. See him in person and you will see he really isn't very skinny. Powell has gained some weight as well.

We have outrebounded our opponents in 2 of the 3 games. Also, keep in mind that Clarke had 4 or 5 rebounds taken away from him because of over the back calls. It doesn't count as a rebound, but we got the foul and had the player not fouled him it would have been his rebound.

I find it hilarious that people are bashing this team coming off a 50 point win and a 29 point win.

Yes, we had a terrible first game with a bunch of new faces. If we played Sam Houston State again with BJ, we would beat them by 25+.

razorpimp

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 21, 2012, 08:22:12 am

agree with above poster, you obviously haven't seen this team the last two years (and part of me doesn't blame you).......

azhog10

Thoughts ???
To convince the uninformed......

Well for starters if you are going to base our season of our rebounding advantage then you are going to be disapopinted. This team is not going to be a great rebounding team but Coach A's teams have never been. Teams that play uptempo and normally go with 4 guards at times will always be some of your worse rebounding teams. Add to the fact we play a lot of zone which makes it even harder and well there you have it.

Mickelson is soft and he's probably one of my biggest gripes so far this year. That being said he seems to be getting his hands on a lot of balls and his quick jump shot has been very very good. He's going to be able to bring the bigs out from under the rim and allow our guards to drive and get good looks.

As far as the layups and jacking up the threes I account some of that to still being early in the season, and the Italy trip. There the shotclock was 24 seconds and depending on the mentality that was probably what they had to do at times and are still in that mind set and it will take a few games to get back out of it.

Powell looks amazing. To say BJ is the only "legit" player we have shows your ignorance. Powell looks really good and to be honest I think Madden is going to have a sophomore type season most of us expected last year. I still think we could use Madden a little more on the block and maybe open up some outside shots for Wade. Wade has got to quit hesitating and when he gets a chance to let that puppy fly.

It's obvious though that you aren't really looking at this team with an open mind. Instead with one eye closed.

azhog10

Depends we've had two games of shooting 85% or better. We will have some bad one's but this team has the potential to shoot really well from the FT line.

azhog10

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 21, 2012, 08:31:29 am
I guess you didn't see Arkansas play last year? Mickelson was about 25 lbs lighter. He has gained quite a bit of mass. See him in person and you will see he really isn't very skinny. Powell has gained some weight as well.

We have outrebounded our opponents in 2 of the 3 games. Also, keep in mind that Clarke had 4 or 5 rebounds taken away from him because of over the back calls. It doesn't count as a rebound, but we got the foul and had the player not fouled him it would have been his rebound.

I find it hilarious that people are bashing this team coming off a 50 point win and a 29 point win.

Yes, we had a terrible first game with a bunch of new faces. If we played Sam Houston State again with BJ, we would beat them by 25+.
Only thing I take issue on is Mickelson. I don't care how much weight he has gained he still plays like he doesn't weigh any more than 200 lbs. He plays soft as hell.

razorbackchamps94

Thoughts ???
I've been saying all year.. NIT bound .. Maybe 20 wins ... It will be close

jry04

Quote from: azhog10 on November 21, 2012, 09:07:50 am
Only thing I take issue on is Mickelson. I don't care how much weight he has gained he still plays like he doesn't weigh any more than 200 lbs. He plays soft as hell.
I agree. I was pointing out to the poster I quoted that he has gained weight. He said it looks like he hasn't been in a weight room, when in fact he has gained quite a bit of size. It was unrelated to the rest of my post. I think he will be much better next season when Harris, Kingsley, and Portis are here. He won't be relied on to get points in the paint as much.

azhog10

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 21, 2012, 09:11:06 am
I agree. I was pointing out to the poster I quoted that he has gained weight. He said it looks like he hasn't been in a weight room, when in fact he has gained quite a bit of size. It was unrelated to the rest of my post. I think he will be much better next season when Harris, Kingsley, and Portis are here. He won't be relied on to get points in the paint as much.
Yeah, but he doesn't "look" like he's been in the weight room. That being said Powell and Coty Clarke both look like they have been in the weight room.

HF#1

It's a 20 win team...  They may surprise you with 22 or 23 wins, imo.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorpimp

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 21, 2012, 09:11:03 am

I guess you will be disappointed this year when you are incorrect

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 21, 2012, 09:11:03 am

"All year?"

We've played three games. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet, much less Christmas or New Year's.

I've seen the last two games, and I'm just now getting to the point where I know all of our players. Powell is running the floor and looking every bit as good as he did two years ago. Madden is light years ahead of where he was last year. We've got a good mix of veterans and young pups who will get better as the season progresses.

I understand that we have some fans who just cannot abide Mike's style of basketball. They appear to be in the minority, but it'll likely be a moot point. I expect that we're about to see Mike go on a 10-15 year run at UA.

poloprince

They will win 20 games no convincing needed, The starters will play more minutes once the competition is better.  Right now, MA is still getting a feel for who is going to be in the rotation and who is not. 
$PoLoPrInCe$