Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rhoads to get $700,000 as DC

Started by ricepig, March 30, 2017, 06:16:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swineology

Pay the man!

:razorback: :razorback:

factchecker

Is he still getting some pay from Iowa State?

He might be making in the millions if you combine the two.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

goodguytex

Quote from: factchecker on March 30, 2017, 06:35:12 pm

III don't think we should lock him in to a big long term contract though until we start seeing some tangible results.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: factchecker on March 30, 2017, 06:35:12 pm

Rhoads, the head coach at Iowa State from 2009-15, is being paid $750,000 per year through 2021 as part of his buyout from the Cyclones, per the Des Moines Register.

factchecker

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 30, 2017, 06:58:23 pm
Rhoads, the head coach at Iowa State from 2009-15, is being paid $750,000 per year through 2021 as part of his buyout from the Cyclones, per the Des Moines Register.

That is a nice chunk of change.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 30, 2017, 06:58:23 pm

Lol. More than we are paying him. That's pretty awesome.

PorkRinds

Quote from: goodguytex on March 30, 2017, 06:45:58 pm
III don't think we should lock him in to a big long term contract though until we start seeing some tangible results.

I agree.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 07:10:01 pm
I agree.
I think paying him a good salary that's competitive with salaries for SEC DCs is actually pretty smart thing to do. But it needs to be IMVHO a 2 year contract. Then see if there's improvement at the end of this season.

If there is, bump it to a 3 year extension.

PorkRinds

Quote from: goodguytex on March 30, 2017, 07:21:24 pm
I think paying him a good salary that's competitive with salaries for SEC DCs is actually pretty smart thing to do. But it needs to be IMVHO a 2 year contract. Then see if there's improvement at the end of this season.

If there is, bump it to a 3 year extension.

With our salary and Iowa state he's making 1.4 million. I feel like that's plenty until he proves himself worthy and the Iowa state money runs out.

GoHogzzGo

Wow I really chose the wrong profession lol.

But seriously, looks about right right me. And he could get a large pay day if he does well, or head coach gig if that is his desire. Agreed with those saying no long term stuff.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

nwahogfan1

I really think we will see a big big change on defense and our recruiting with Rhoads particularly on defense. If I am right then we should lock Rhoads down with the money it will take in year 3 when his salary from Iowa State runs out but we do know he wants to be a head coach again. So I do not know if any money will hold him here if the right HC position opens.

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 31, 2017, 08:09:19 am
I really think we will see a big big change on defense and our recruiting with Rhoads particularly on defense. If I am right then we should lock Rhoads down with the money it will take in year 3 when his salary from Iowa State runs out but we do know he wants to be a head coach again. So I do not know if any money will hold him here if the right HC position opens.

His payments from Iowa St go through 2021, that's 5 years from now.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Allen spent part of the winter off-season observing an NFL trainer working with brother Brandon who is on the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad. He said he was looking for a quicker release, better footwork, anything he could come up with to give himself an edge.

This will help. I'm not sure our O line is going to be buying him any more time this coming year. We'll see.

NuttinItUp

HF#1

I wouldn't have started him out that high but I'm not in charge.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

King Kong

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 11:17:29 am

That's not high

Pork Twain

High compared to who?  That is $125,000 less than Smith made and will have him at ~17-20 in coordinator pay in the SEC.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

NuttinItUp

Rob Smith made $825,000 in 2016, so it is actually a cost savings.

Comparative salaries for assistants last year (note: numbers will likely increase once numbers are updated for 2017):

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 31, 2017, 12:02:48 pm
Ahhhh...too...slow...sucka...

Damn my rechecking/rewording of everything before I post. I know that added at least 45 seconds. :P

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 31, 2017, 12:04:18 pm
Damn my rechecking/rewording of everything before I post. I know that added at least 45 seconds. :P

Just type whatever, and edit later!

HF#1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 31, 2017, 12:01:28 pm
Rob Smith made $825,000 in 2016, so it is actually a cost savings.

Comparative salaries for assistants last year (note: numbers will likely increase once numbers are updated for 2017):

I'm not worried about saving costs. I'm more concerned with waiting for him to put a good product on the field and then paying him that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 03:36:28 pm
I'm not worried about saving costs. I'm more concerned with waiting for him to put a good product on the field and then paying him that.

BS. You would be one of the first to scream bloody murder if Long hired a cheap, inexperienced, non-P5 Head Coach to follow CBB.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 03:36:28 pm

His pay is bottom third for DC's in the SEC. What the heck are you talking about

Not to mention his resume is better most of the guys ahead of him

daBoar

Quote from: swineology on March 30, 2017, 06:30:47 pm
Pay the man!

:razorback: :razorback:
Excuse me; what has he done at Arkansas? We had the worst defense I've ever seen at Arkansas.  Sure seems like a case that warrants some kind of empirical progress.

ifghog

Glad he's getting a competitive salary. We have a good defense that will will jump up substantially. 

goodguytex

Quote from: ifghog on April 01, 2017, 07:19:39 am
Glad he's getting a competitive salary. We have a good defense that will will jump up substantially.
We all hope so

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: daBoar on March 31, 2017, 08:00:22 pm
Excuse me; what has he done at Arkansas? We had the worst defense I've ever seen at Arkansas.  Sure seems like a case that warrants some kind of empirical progress.
Let's see how he does this year when he's actually the MAIN man in charge of the defense. I'm sure you've considered that last year the defense was NOT his sole responsibility when came to being DC. Might want to wait the judge the man when it's truly "apples-to-apples".

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHawg on March 31, 2017, 11:08:20 am
Allen spent part of the winter off-season observing an NFL trainer working with brother Brandon who is on the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad. He said he was looking for a quicker release, better footwork, anything he could come up with to give himself an edge.

This will help. I'm not sure our O line is going to be buying him any more time this coming year. We'll see.

Not sure what this post is doing in this thread, but all the same, why are you not sure our OL will be any better the coming season? On average, players improve from year to year. Exceptions include coaching staffs that have a history of not developing players or individual players that have a history of not working hard to improve.

Ragnow improved last year from the year before and Skipper was much better at LT than he had been before. So there is evidence that our OL coach did improve the players he was working with, not to mention the first hand knowledge from fanonthehill. Moreover, there isn't a single year here on the hill where players on our OL didn't improve under Bielema. So, I see no evidence to suggest that anything in the coaching staff would lead to stagnation or regression of players. Our OL overall regressed from 15 to 16 but that is because we lost 3 starters and had 3 brand new starters with each of them having improved from the years before.

That leaves us with the individual players themselves not working hard to improve. Which of our OL players do you think will not put in enough work to get better, to the point where Austin will not have even a hundredth a second more time to throw this coming season compared to last season? Especially considering that he was better protected as the season progressed last year?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 31, 2017, 06:49:44 pm
His pay is bottom third for DC's in the SEC. What the heck are you talking about

Not to mention his resume is better most of the guys ahead of him
Just another example of some that would complain no matter what move was made and for what cost.