Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Boss Weighs in on Stadium Gun Issue

Started by Mike Irwin, March 28, 2017, 03:47:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

I agree no guns in sporting venues.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LittlePigMan

ricepig

Svrdhd

From Associated Press:
The National Rifle Association, which supported the expanded concealed handguns law, opposes the exemption measure in its current and previous form.

"There is no language in (the bill) that could be classified as an SEC exemption," NRA spokesman Lars Dalseide said in an email. "Instead we have a bill that eliminates a considerable amount of fundamental freedoms recognized by the governor just last week."
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

There's something a bit unsettling about an outsider flexing his muscles and telling Arkansans how they should, or should not, behave.  However, having said that, I totally agree with Sankey.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Hogwild

QuoteUA sources fear If law ends up allowing guns in stadiums it could be end of their SEC membership.  We'll discuss w/ @CollinsARK at 2pm cst.

Is this really a possibility? Or a way to boost his ratings?

arkmark

I've often thought when watching college head coaches on the game field that the presence of  uniformed and of course armed bodyguards was a bit over the top.  But if the  provision allowing  CCW stands I'll see the need.  Especially with football with the associated tailgating and drinking traditions.  Where's the common sense.  And yeah, I carry.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on March 29, 2017, 04:01:52 pm
There's something a bit unsettling about an outsider flexing his muscles and telling Arkansans how they should, or should not, behave.  However, having said that, I totally agree with Sankey.

This. I wouldn't take my CCW to a game, even if I could, but having Sankey issue a veiled threat to the University of Arkansas regarding legislative State Sovereignty decisions doesn't set well with me. As a point of interest, Georgia legislature is considering this same type of legislation - Sankey has issued no statement to the University of Georgia.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 29, 2017, 09:43:13 pm
This. I wouldn't take my CCW to a game, even if I could, but having Sankey issue a veiled threat to the University of Arkansas regarding legislative State Sovereignty decisions doesn't set well with me. As a point of interest, Georgia legislature is considering this same type of legislation - Sankey has issued no statement to the University of Georgia.

Maybe because Georgia is a charter member of the SEC....?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

luke hawg

This falls under know your role. We are a tiny market in the most profitable league in the country. Sankey made a threat because he can. It's time for the morons in the state legislature to not f with Razorback sports.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: luke hawg on March 29, 2017, 10:13:56 pm
This falls under know your role. We are a tiny market in the most profitable league in the country. Sankey made a threat because he can. It's time for the morons in the state legislature to not f with Razorback sports.

Hey you call them morons...but somebody had to vote for them to be elected into office...

So the real question is WHO VOTED FOR THE MORONS!?

luke hawg

We aren't an intellectual powerhouse but this is an absurd piece of legislation.

hawgwash

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 29, 2017, 10:00:30 pm
Maybe because Georgia is a charter member of the SEC....?
Or maybe because Georgia hasn't actually passed such a law?

Grizzlyfan

The state of Arkansas can do whatever it wants.  The SEC can do whatever it wants with scheduling games in our state and reviewing the standing of our membership. We should appreciate that they warned us it could happen beforehand.  Freedom is grand.

PorkRinds

So...I'm betting you don't realize that the guy from the NRA that was pushing this bill who is quoted in the post of you is an outsider who is flexing his muscle and telling Arkansas how they should and should not behave.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 30, 2017, 11:27:04 am
The state of Arkansas can do whatever it wants.  The SEC can do whatever it wants with scheduling games in our state and reviewing the standing of our membership. We should appreciate that they warned us it could happen beforehand.  Freedom is grand.

+1000

Big 12 here we come!!!   ;)

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LittlePigMan on March 29, 2017, 03:25:49 pm

Not even skeet and trap?

Those are shooting based programs that are held at a Range not a football field or Baseball field .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BroyledNutts

The UofA could put an end to this entire debacle by establishing a simple policy ... sell beer and wine at sporting events...not just in club areas; everywhere.

Arkansas Concealed Carry Laws, currently existing, prevent concealed carry in any establishment that sells alcohol.

Sell beer and wine at sporting events on campus, end the issue about guns in sporting events.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 30, 2017, 03:35:43 pm
The UofA could put an end to this entire debacle by establishing a simple policy ... sell beer and wine at sporting events...not just in club areas; everywhere.

Arkansas Concealed Carry Laws, currently existing, prevent concealed carry in any establishment that sells alcohol.

Sell beer and wine at sporting events on campus, end the issue about guns in sporting events.

I like it. Win-win.

PorkRinds

Do it.

MuskogeeHogFan

That would be a smart move.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 30, 2017, 03:54:00 pm
That would be a smart move.
indeed. which conservative value wins? guns everywhere or them wanting to make sure nobody gets to enjoy a beer because: God.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NuttinItUp

The Sun Belt conference also wants the gun law changed:
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/mar/30/sun-belt-conference-says-it-wants-arkansas-gun-law/

Not that they carry anywhere near the weight of the SEC, but still.

hogcard1964

Would you rather have a bunch if drunken clowns out driving around or have someone allowed to practice their civil rights? Is that really a smart trade off?

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 02:37:03 pm
So...I'm betting you don't realize that the guy from the NRA that was pushing this bill who is quoted in the post of you is an outsider who is flexing his muscle and telling Arkansas how they should and should not behave.

My post was only considering the pressure from the SEC muscle flexing.  You are correct, the NRA muscle flexing should be mentioned too.  Either way, I don't care for the citizens of Arkansans being squeezed.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 04:18:47 pm
Would you rather have a bunch if drunken clowns out driving around or have someone allowed to practice their civil rights? Is that really a smart trade off?

Do you think free speech really exists in this country? What about freedom of religion?

With rights come responsibility.nobody is stripping you of your right to own a gun.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PorkRinds

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on March 30, 2017, 06:12:49 pm
My post was only considering the pressure from the SEC muscle flexing.  You are correct, the NRA muscle flexing should be mentioned too.  Either way, I don't care for the citizens of Arkansans being squeezed.

Fair enough. I do see your point.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 09:30:51 pm
Fair enough. I do see your point.

We wanted to be in The SEC Club.

If you want to be a member you have to abide by the rules.

$70+ Million in the coffers annually squeezes a LOT. Unless everybody has an idea on how to makeup the potential loss.

HF#1

It has never occurred to me to carry a weapon into DWRRS. War Memorial is a different story, won't attend another game there for a variety of reasons including that one. Verizon Arena in LR makes you go through a metal detector. I park close enough at Verizon where I don't feel like I need one at that time. Often times when I carry, I forget I am carrying. It never crosses my mind. So much so that I have accidentally carried in places I shouldn't have a couple times. Most people I know that are licensed are like this. It is or should be a different mindset. That weapon is for life threatening self defense situations only, like my trauma kit. If you have a temper issue or a drinking problem then you probably need to check yourself and not purchase a gun then seek help. Personal Responsibility is still a thing, right?

I assume metal detectors are part of the renovations going on at DWRRS. Bad people will do bad things. Good people for the most part, will not. A football game, a referee call, an opponent could never piss me off enough to brandish a weapon. I'd just walk away and would not indulge the ignorance.  If people wanted to hurt folks or fight at a football game, it would most likely happen in the tailgating areas or outside the stadium after the game or in the parking lots, not in the stadium, in my opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

BroyledNutts

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 04:18:47 pm

If we're being intellectually honest with ourselves, there's already an overwhelming number of drunk drivers after a football game anyway, whether known or unknown. Not that the desire is to drastically expand that number. Few show concern with the large numbers of fans leaving NFL and NBA events after imbibing all game.

Using the language of the CCL argument within the stadium, the over-riding concern with those voicing opinions against was having large numbers of drunks with guns in a confined and emotionally charged space, such as a stadium. Using their own words, there is already broad acceptance of drunkenness at games. They had no concern over that small fact; only the possibility of one or more of them having CCL while being drunk.

My proposal was a simple one - and a little tongue in cheek. If the amendment had failed, the UofA could've simply elected to sell beer and wine during games to all attendees, thus rendering the new law moot in that existing law already states CCL is prohibited within establishments selling alcohol. I was illustrating the loophole available for use that would satisfy those who do not want CCL within stadiums, the SEC with their threats to throw us out if we allow CCL at games, and still provide those who like to drink at games, and those who want the ability to CC around campus and at tailgating events prior and post event, a measure of placation.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 11:41:39 am
If people wanted to hurt folks or fight at a football game, it would most likely happen in the tailgating areas or outside the stadium after the game or in the parking lots, not in the stadium, in my opinion.
I went to a football game in oakland and a fight broke out behind me simply due to the fact that the guy was wearing a cowboys jacket.

religion and sports makes some people do things they normally wouldn't do.  such as be a cowboys fan.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 31, 2017, 02:20:11 pm
I went to a football game in oakland and a fight broke out behind me simply due to the fact that the guy was wearing a cowboys jacket.

religion and sports makes some people do things they normally wouldn't do.  such as be a cowboys fan.

Yes, because Oakland equally compares to the rest of the football world. There is a fight every Sunday in Oakland.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 03:34:05 pm
Yes, because Oakland equally compares to the rest of the football world. There is a fight every Sunday in Oakland.

Ever witnessed a fight at DWRRS? The actual subject?

PorkRinds

nchogg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 29, 2017, 02:20:36 pm
You are 100% correct. I can't understand why a person has the need to CCL at any sporting event or school. I have not lived in Arkansas for 30 years but when I lived there it was a different time. I like the SEC has made a statement about the law and DWRRS and others say it's none of their business. Look at the NCAA and the bathroom laws in NC, that has nothing to do with a firearm which kills. Yes I own a gun.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Now Sankey needs to address the officiating and not worry about politics.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 29, 2017, 02:20:36 pm
I'm hip. Sooooo unnecessary. If you need your precious firearms to feel safe watching a game, you need therapy.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: HF#1 on March 31, 2017, 11:41:39 am
It has never occurred to me to carry a weapon into DWRRS. War Memorial is a different story, won't attend another game there for a variety of reasons including that one. Verizon Arena in LR makes you go through a metal detector. I park close enough at Verizon where I don't feel like I need one at that time. Often times when I carry, I forget I am carrying. It never crosses my mind. So much so that I have accidentally carried in places I shouldn't have a couple times. Most people I know that are licensed are like this. It is or should be a different mindset. That weapon is for life threatening self defense situations only, like my trauma kit. If you have a temper issue or a drinking problem then you probably need to check yourself and not purchase a gun then seek help. Personal Responsibility is still a thing, right?

I assume metal detectors are part of the renovations going on at DWRRS. Bad people will do bad things. Good people for the most part, will not. A football game, a referee call, an opponent could never piss me off enough to brandish a weapon. I'd just walk away and would not indulge the ignorance.  If people wanted to hurt folks or fight at a football game, it would most likely happen in the tailgating areas or outside the stadium after the game or in the parking lots, not in the stadium, in my opinion.
You can't convince me that you need your gun as often as you think Snowflake. I'm a CCL owner and very seldom have one on me. It's for ACTUAL situations, not walking up to a stadium with 60,000 other people.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

It's a big world and we have to get along if we want to live in it. There are influences both in and out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 30, 2017, 09:11:35 pm
Do you think free speech really exists in this country? What about freedom of religion?

With rights come responsibility.nobody is stripping you of your right to own a gun.

Exactly. Some people think having a right gives them a reason to be an idiot and do something dumb without assuming any responsibility for doing it. Without that responsibility thing you mentioned there are consequences to actions done in the name or realm of exercising a right.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HamSammich

Exactly... I'm surprised you guys bowed your head to an outsider TELLING ALL OF YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIVES AND WHAT LAWS SHOULD PASS.... but you did... I'm a bit surprised, disappointed, and somewhat proud.

grayhawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 04, 2017, 09:01:35 pm
Exactly... I'm surprised you guys bowed your head to an outsider TELLING ALL OF YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIVES AND WHAT LAWS SHOULD PASS.... but you did... I'm a bit surprised, disappointed, and somewhat proud.
His letter had very little if any influence on our house vote on guns at sporting events.

HamSammich

Quote from: grayhawg on April 04, 2017, 09:09:33 pm
His letter had very little if any influence on our house vote on guns at sporting events.

the SEC pulling weight behind the scenes had VERY MUCH to do with the outcome. Don't be naïve.

bennyl08

Isn't that exactly what is supposed to happen? Either the government provides protections or market forces will take over?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

grayhawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 04, 2017, 09:17:54 pm
the SEC pulling weight behind the scenes had VERY MUCH to do with the outcome. Don't be naïve.
Maybe you should not be so gullible.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 02, 2017, 10:00:09 am
I'm hip. Sooooo unnecessary. If you need your precious firearms to feel safe watching a game, you need therapy.

So what does that say about a classroom?