Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting tidbit. Beating a Top 10 team.

Started by Sweet Feet, March 24, 2017, 02:49:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

From 2006 to 2016, Arkansas has beaten a top 10 team at gametime all but 4 seasons: 2008 (Petrino first year), 2009 (The ref job at Florida)
2012 (chaos), and 2013 (Bielema's first year). Three of those seasons were with a new coach, which is understandable. Refs killed the 2009 opportunity. The interesting thing about this is it seems Arkansas has grown fairly accustomed to knocking down a top 10 team yearly. This shows that the potential is there, its just problems with consistency. What potential top 10 team do think Arkansas will beat this coming season?

GoHogzzGo

Huh, so 7 of the 11 seasons. Would not have guessed that, very cool.

I'll take LSWhoo this year for 500 Alex.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hog Pharm

Who was our top ten win against last year? I'm thinking it must have been Florida but I didn't think they were top ten.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog Pharm on March 24, 2017, 06:01:32 pm
Who was our top ten win against last year? I'm thinking it must have been Florida but I didn't think they were top ten.

I see that we beat the #15 team (TCU), #12 team (Ole Miss) and the #11 team (Florida) last season, but I don't see any top ten wins. Two of the three weren't ranked at the end of the season.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2017, 06:17:39 pm
I see that we beat the #15 team (TCU), #12 team (Ole Miss) and the #11 team (Florida) last season, but I don't see any top ten wins. Two of the three weren't ranked at the end of the season.

Florida was ranked #11 by the CFP poll, #10 by the AP, and #9 by the coaches.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/seasontype/2/year/2016/week/10
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

goodguytex

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 24, 2017, 03:46:54 pm
Huh, so 7 of the 11 seasons. Would not have guessed that, very cool.

I'll take LSWhoo this year for 500 Alex.
We've done pretty well against LSwho at their place recently. We almost beat then there during Bielemas first year when we were so bad. Could happen.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2017, 06:17:39 pm
Florida was 10 in the AP poll when Arkansas played

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 24, 2017, 10:42:58 pm

I saw they were #11. I suppose they could have been #10 in another.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ZERO

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 25, 2017, 06:08:22 am
Which one counts the most?

Whichever one supports your argument the most. You follow recruiting, know the drill.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hogcard1964

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 24, 2017, 10:42:58 pm

They were 11.

However we probably won't beat a top 10 team again this season.  Who are we expecting to be a top 10 program when we play them?  Bama will smoke us, and I doubt we win at LSU either.  Who else?  Texas A&M?  Auburn will kill us again. I can't imagine TCU being ranked at all.  South Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss and Miss St will all be mediocre....

factchecker

Quote from: ZERO on March 25, 2017, 09:52:01 am
Whichever one supports your argument the most. You follow recruiting, know the drill.

PRIME EXAMPLE:

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 25, 2017, 10:05:58 am
They were 11.

However we probably won't beat a top 10 team again this season.  Who are we expecting to be a top 10 program when we play them?  Bama will smoke us, and I doubt we win at LSU either.  Who else?  Texas A&M?  Auburn will kill us again. I can't imagine TCU being ranked at all.  South Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss and Miss St will all be mediocre....

What is the point of living when you look for the most negative outlook possible?  I thank the lord he gave me a better attitude than you.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2017, 11:33:03 am
PRIME EXAMPLE:

What is the point of living when you look for the most negative outlook possible?  I thank the lord he gave me a better attitude than you.

There's nothing negative about what I stated. 

Would you rather people lie?

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

thefisher

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 25, 2017, 12:26:25 pm
There's nothing negative about what I stated. 

Would you rather people lie?

no.  we would prefer that you stop posting all together.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

hogcard1964

Quote from: thefisher on March 25, 2017, 02:07:34 pm
no.  we would prefer that you stop posting all together.

Sorry you feel that way.

Peace

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ZERO

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2017, 11:33:03 am

He didn't exactly say anything inaccurate, nor was he whining. Maybe you've noticed a trend in his posts that I haven't, so you see a backhanded angle, but he's just calling a spade a spade. Based on what we currently know, LSU and Alabama are likely to be the only top ten teams when we face them, and although anything could happen, I'm not going to predict a victory over either. Bielema has had a hard enough time beating teams that win 8 games or fewer.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

factchecker

Quote from: ZERO on March 25, 2017, 11:21:52 pm
He didn't exactly say anything inaccurate, nor was he whining. Maybe you've noticed a trend in his posts that I haven't, so you see a backhanded angle, but he's just calling a spade a spade. Based on what we currently know, LSU and Alabama are likely to be the only top ten teams when we face them, and although anything could happen, I'm not going to predict a victory over either. Bielema has had a hard enough time beating teams that win 8 games or fewer.

The key point was that he picked the lowest fukkin rank for Florida -- when they clearly were ranked in the top 10 in two polls:

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 24, 2017, 08:26:26 pm

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 25, 2017, 10:05:58 am
They were 11.

Thank god we beat their azz 31-10 or he would have said we were lucky to beat them like he normally does.  It's not hard to pick up on the people who will quickly shitt on anything positive while amping up anything negative.  Do a little research before you post.

Since we want to discuss the tidbit of beating top 10 teams.  Let's look at the records of coaches vs. top 10 teams:

Records vs. Opponents that are/were ranked during game time from 01 to 10
*****Highest Rank of the AP Poll or Coaches Poll*****

SEC West:

Saban: 25-9
Malzahn: 4-6
Sumlin: 4-6
Mullen: 3-13
Orgeron: 1-8

compared to Bielema: 5-16

for fun here is Petrino's record vs. top 10 teams: 5-14

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.php?fry=2003&thy=2015&grk=on&gur=on&grl=01&grh=10&sasrt=WP&altout=8&cres=1
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: ZERO on March 25, 2017, 11:21:52 pm
Bielema has had a hard enough time beating teams that win 8 games or fewer.

Coach Bielema is 73-17 vs. teams with 0 to 8 wins ("win 8 game or fewer")

SEC West:

Saban: 120-7 (115-7-0)(5 vacated games)
Malzahn: 35-5
Sumlin: 64-16
Mullen: 54-10
Orgeron: 20-12

Petrino is 91-14.

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.php?fry=2000&thy=2016&nws=on&nwl=01&nwh=08&sasrt=WP&cres=1&altout=8

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Regardless of all the stats here is the cold hard facts:

Bielema has to win more.

Bielema has to quit giving up halftime leads.

Bielema has to beat inferior teams easily.

Bielema has to get to at LEAST 9 wins (including bowl) this season to make me happy. We have to progress.  No regression!

Bielema has to fix the defense. He worked his way up the coaching ladder through defense.  He was a DC under Snyder at Kansas State and had some pretty good defenses his short time there.  He has to fix that problem.

Bielema has to fix the offensive line.  His calling card has always been developing big and overpowering offensive line.  We haven't truly seen that since he has been here.  We've seen plenty big but nowhere near overpowering.

FINAL FACT:  This thread was created on an interesting tidbit.  Nothing more and nothing less.  It was a cool little stat.  It wasn't praising Bielema or bashing Petrino.  It wasn't praising Petrino or bashing Bielema.  It was a simple little fact.  Why someone had to come in and bitch about what Florida was "truly" ranked while saying we won't beat a top 10 team next season is beyond me.  Why?

If bitching about the team or coach in every thread makes you happy go for it.  I've learned the stupidity of hogville runs [CENSORED] deep.

Have fun!

WOOO PIG!  :razorback:
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2017, 11:35:13 pm
The key point was that he picked the lowest fukkin rank for Florida -- when they clearly were ranked in the top 10 in two polls:

Thank god we beat their azz 31-10 or he would have said we were lucky to beat them like he normally does.  It's not hard to pick up on the people who will quickly shitt on anything positive while amping up anything negative.  Do a little research before you post.

Since we want to discuss the tidbit of beating top 10 teams.  Let's look at the records of coaches vs. top 10 teams:

Records vs. Opponents that are/were ranked during game time from 01 to 10
*****Highest Rank of the AP Poll or Coaches Poll*****

SEC West:

Saban: 25-9
Malzahn: 4-6
Sumlin: 4-6
Mullen: 3-13
Orgeron: 1-8

compared to Bielema: 5-16

for fun here is Petrino's record vs. top 10 teams: 5-14

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.php?fry=2003&thy=2015&grk=on&gur=on&grl=01&grh=10&sasrt=WP&altout=8&cres=1

good stuff

hogcard1964

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 25, 2017, 02:39:57 pm
Yes please. Would he friggin retire already or go to the NFL.

I think Bama may be a bit down this season.  Could happen....I guess.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 26, 2017, 08:19:32 am #24 Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:48:02 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 25, 2017, 02:04:31 pm
Bama.... Finally

We have had our chances to beat Alabama twice under Bielema but let it slip through our fingers both times.

In 2014 Alabama was coming off of a loss to Ole Miss and Arkansas nearly handed them their heads for the second time in two weeks.

In the 2nd Qtr.  Alabama misses a 30 yd FG and we take over on our 20. The very first play Alex Collins fumbles, Alabama recovers on our 23 and 3 plays later, Alabama scores. 7-0 We come right back on the next drive and go 80 yards in 10 plays to score but fail to convert on the XP making it 7-6 at halftime.

In the 3rd Qtr. we drive 57 yards in 3 plays and score making it a 7-13 game.

With 28 seconds remaining in the 3rd Alabama takes over with a short field at their own 44 and on the strength of 3 runs for 12, 9 and 8 yards and a pass of 15 yards, Alabama scores again making it a 14-13 game. Almost 3 minutes, 8 plays, 56 yards.

At 7:21 of the 4th quarter at the Alabama 48 it is 4th and 1, we got stuffed for no gain and Alabama takes over.

The next two series produced a punt and an INT at the Alabama 49 to close out the game. Final score: 14-13. We handed them 7 of their 14 points.

In 2015 we led Alabama 7-3 at the half.

With 1:50 remaining in the 3rd quarter Alabama has the ball at their own 19, 1st and 10. Coker to Ridley for 81 yards and 6 points. They convert and the score is now 7-10.

Next drive, we shank a punt back to Alabama giving them the ball at our 42.

On 3rd and 10 we get a holding penalty giving them a 1st down at our 32. 5 plays later, they score again. The lead goes to 7-17 with 12:49 remaining.

Next drive we take over on our 17. We lose 2 yards on a run and then throw an INT where Alabama takes over at our 13.

The defense holds Alabama and limits them to a FG. 7-20 with 10:07 remaining.

The next two series, we punt, they punt.

With 4:49 remaining in the 4th we get the ball pinned back at our 9 yard line. This series goes bad as well. A run for 1 yard, an incompletion, we take a sack for 8 yards and with a 4th and 17 at our 2 yard line, Baker punts 41 yards and we allow them to return it 27 yards.

Alabama takes over 1st and 10 at our 16 yard line. 4 plays later Alabama scores again.  7-27 with 2:44 remaining.

Too late to make a difference but not quitting, Arkansas gets the ball at our 26 on the ensuing kick off and drives 74 yards in 5 plays, scoring on a 54 yard completion for a TD to Reed. 14-27

Alabama gets the ball and runs out the clock. We handed them 21 of their 27 points.

Late implosions in both of those games, losing focus and concentration, making key mistakes, providing opportunities for Alabama, handed them these games.

This year Alabama has to play at Vandy, home for Ole Miss and at A&M in the three weeks prior to playing us and they get Tennessee at home the week following us. Can we hope there is some distraction or at least not the time to really drill down into a game plan about how to attack/defend us? We can only hope.

We can beat Alabama but we need to play a near perfect game and not make mistakes on the field that hand them scores. 
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

We could have won the 2014 game.  I didn't think we could have won the 2015 game.  It seemed like they kind of toyed with us during that game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 26, 2017, 08:50:29 am
We could have won the 2014 game.  I didn't think we could have won the 2015 game.  It seemed like they kind of toyed with us during that game.

I'll disagree. We allowed them to beat us. We can do better. 99% of the game is mental...the other half is physical. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

woodhog14

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 24, 2017, 08:26:26 pm

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 25, 2017, 06:08:22 am
Which one counts the most?

Here's how the polling works. All the networks and media outlets use the AP Poll.

When the CFP Poll comes out, ESPN uses those rankings, but all other media outlets, such as CBS, still use the AP Poll.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 26, 2017, 11:23:56 am
Here's how the polling works. All the networks and medial outlets use the AP Poll.

When the CFP Poll comes out, ESPN uses those rankings, but all other media outlets, such as CBS, still use the AP Poll.

When the CFP Poll comes out I pay no attention to the others because they decide absolutely nothing.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 26, 2017, 11:26:21 am
When the CFP Poll comes out I pay no attention to the others because they decide absolutely nothing.

Outside of the top 4, the CFP poll determines absolutely nothing as well. And even then, only one week of it actually has any real importance. Seems silly to put so much importance on one made up number that determines nothing over a different made up number that determines nothing.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 26, 2017, 01:52:52 pm
Outside of the top 4, the CFP poll determines absolutely nothing as well. And even then, only one week of it actually has any real importance. Seems silly to put so much importance on one made up number that determines nothing over a different made up number that determines nothing.

You are going to look at one poll or another, might as well look at the one that has any real meaning at all.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 26, 2017, 01:57:03 pm
You are going to look at one poll or another, might as well look at the one that has any real meaning at all.

Not really. When I'm looking at rankings, which isn't that often, I go to that page that I linked before and rarely look at a single poll. I view polls kind of like recruiting rankings. A single poll is going to be less accurate the ensemble. I like to see where the polls differ and how much of a spread a single team might have. Plus, the AP has been around a lot longer.

For example, for this interesting tidbit, we'd only be able to go back to 2014 if we ONLY looked at the CFP poll. Further, you are limited in what weeks you can use. Similarly with the BCS poll. So, if you want to talk about games with rankings at the time you play, then you either can't use the CFP/BCS polls at all, or you have to switch polls mid-research which makes the research basically meaningless due to an inconsistent methodology.

OR, you can simply use the AP poll. This allows you to use a consistent methodology that covers the entire season (which none of the "meaningful" polls do and covers season to season, which again, none of the "meaningful" poll do.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ZERO on March 25, 2017, 09:52:01 am
always go with 247 composite. It takes an average ranking from all of the major services combined. Hurts some of the smaller guys though because services like rivals seem to focus on big city guys or players at well known programs
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.