Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Morris

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, January 03, 2018, 08:39:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 01:46:21 pm
What I said is true. Moving his family to NWA with him shows his commitment to the U of A. The U of A head coach should be totally committed to the University. If he's not willing to make that commitment then that raises multitudes of red flags. That commitment should be required as part of his contract.

Hysterical. I know you don't mean this stuff and I don't know why I bite on it, but it's absolutely hysterical.

If you actually do mean it, that's pretty [CENSORED] sad.

GuvHog

Quote from: Uncle Remus on January 03, 2018, 01:46:27 pm
Okay, let’s put this situation into the real world and out of the paranoia and unrealistic standards that accompany the coaching staff at the U of A.  How many of us know someone in any other profession that have waited to let a child finish the academic year at the school they are currently attending before uprooting them and moving them to the new place.  Right off hand, I know a preacher, principal, school superintendent, insurance agent, and chef that did the same thing.  What they do is based on what is best for their family to finish out the academic year, not what will quell paranoia and anxious, impatient fans at their new destination.  Let’s please give this some time and not sour the experience for his family before they ever even get settled in here. 

Now I can totally understand Morris letting his son finish the academic school year at Highland, that makes sense, but that's not what we are talking about.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 03, 2018, 01:48:59 pm
Hysterical. I know you don't mean this stuff and I don't know why I bite on it, but it's absolutely hysterical.

If you actually do mean it, that's pretty [CENSORED] sad.

There is nothing wrong with wanting the head coach to be totally committed to the University. You're just wrong.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 01:54:10 pm
There is nothing wrong with wanting the head coach to be totally committed to the University. You're just wrong.
I guess you can both be right about your feelings regarding this situation, but I happen to agree that it wouldn't be a good look if the wife and kid stayed in Dallas for 2 years.  Parenthetically, I don't think that is going to happen.

PonderinHog

I don't think "you people" realize what a  logistical nightmare it is to move your family from Dallas to Fayetteville on a limited budget!   >:(

racinghog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2018, 01:56:28 pm
I don't think "you people" realize what a  logistical nightmare it is to move your family from Dallas to Fayetteville on a limited budget!   >:(

That's funny right there!

RME

I bet your household is fun with all the powertrips you must exert over its members.

hoghiker

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 01:52:39 pm
Now I can totally understand Morris letting his son finish the academic school year at Highland, that makes sense, but that's not what we are talking about.
My guess is he left that decision up to his son and was supportive of whatever decision he made. I would like to think as a father, if I had the resources, my son would be tops on my priority list. I want no part of a coach that would put his son back seat to the "Program". I certainly would never encourage my son to play football for someone that would not be supportive of his own child. My two rant cents.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 03, 2018, 02:04:43 pm
I bet your household is fun with all the powertrips you must exert over its members.

No power trip here. My wife and I get along fine. I married a smart woman and I value her advice.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 09:35:38 am
I hope you are correct. But reading here the last few days something has bothered me about what another poster said. It was said that he has a wondering eye and is always looking for the next job. (this was something told to one of our HV regulars from a Clemson insider) If you look at his history his longest stay was 5 years in one place. If he POSSIBLY doesn't move his family here that would be raising a red flag for me.
Good grief man!! You're going way out of your way just to find something to bit** about. And hey, what the he!! is a wondering eye anyway?

Grizzlyfan

This is a fascinating conversation.  For many of us in the later generations it would be alien to even consider wife and kids staying in another city if we were to take another job.  And if they wanted so badly to stay in that city we probably wouldn't take the job to begin with.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on January 03, 2018, 11:13:51 am
His son is about to be a senior. Military families do this a lot when they have a kid who is about to graduate. It makes sense for a lot of reasons, and even more if the kid is the starting-QB-in-waiting at a good HS football program.

I wouldn't read too much into what a "poster" has to say about the matter. We've seen how credible they are. Besides, why worry about 5 years from now? It's either going to work out and he'll want to stay or it won't and we'll ask him to go. No big whoop.
I raised two kids from birth to graduation, they were my military family growing up.  Except when I was on a carrier, they went where I went when I went.  They went to a military school when I was in Japan,an International school when I was in Bangkok, Thailand, altogether five different schools.  To this day, they talk about the well rounded education they got growing up.  Changing schools never hurt anybody, it probably helps prepare them for the real world.

To change the subject, I understand Chavis' family still lives in Tennessee, of course his kids are probably grown by now.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexasRazorback

This whole looking for a better job is completely blown out of proportion, Everyone working in a profession has there eye on a higher better paying job. Until you are at the top you will always be looking for something bigger and better than your current situation. As someone in my late 20's i am constantly looking for something bigger and better then what I have. Lets give the man a chance to coach the hogs before ridiculing him for something a clemson fan said

GuvHog

Quote from: hoghiker on January 03, 2018, 02:09:13 pm
My guess is he left that decision up to his son and was supportive of whatever decision he made. I would like to think as a father, if I had the resources, my son would be tops on my priority list. I want no part of a coach that would put his son back seat to the "Program". I certainly would never encourage my son to play football for someone that would not be supportive of his own child. My two rant cents.

A responsible parent does not let a 15 or 16 year old make a decision like that. There is a reason teenagers are referred to as "minors". I was a Preacher's kid. When the family moved, I moved with them whether I liked it or not. I remember when we lived in Mountain Pine just outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas and I absolutely loved it living there less than a mile from Lake Ouachita in the mountains but when dad was called to another church, my brother and I had no say in it. We did as we were told and moved with the family even though we didn't want to leave. When one is a minor and under the care of their parents, that's the way it is.

GuvHog

Quote from: TexasRazorback on January 03, 2018, 02:19:18 pm
This whole looking for a better job is completely blown out of proportion, Everyone working in a profession has there eye on a higher better paying job. Until you are at the top you will always be looking for something bigger and better than your current situation. As someone in my late 20's i am constantly looking for something bigger and better then what I have. Lets give the man a chance to coach the hogs before ridiculing him for something a clemson fan said

That's not always true. I worked for 25 years as an Associate Funeral Director and I had chances to get my license and become a full fledged Funeral Director which would have meant more money but I had no desire to do that. I like what I was doing and was okay with the salary I was being paid.

Athog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on January 03, 2018, 10:04:10 am
And when we think of BP our first thought is that he was a family man.

Ha ha yes indeed!

Inhogswetrust

Not always true. SOME people are constantly looking for a "bigger" higher paying job and some aren't. Some people realize that more money doesn't buy happiness. Maybe when you get a little older you'll understand that and why.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Been10Hog

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 09:46:04 am
True enough. But BP moved his family here. I hope this is incorrect.
If the report is true that his son may finish school in Dallas, so what? Why would a kid who has the chance to be the starting QB at Highland Park highschool want to leave to be QB at Fayetteville, Springdale Aor B, Bentonville AorB, Rogers AorB or Shiloh? Highland Park is one of the storied highschool programs in America!! No offense to NWA schools, but get real. Plus, he has spent 3 years building a reputation there and making friends there. I applaud Chad Morris for doing the work to allow his son to finish his senior year where he wants to if that is happening! "wondering eye"? It's "wandering eye" and that's ridiculous!!

ballz2thewall

what if we circumcise him?
The rest of the frog.

redeye

Quote from: Fan1958 on January 03, 2018, 09:39:48 am
Wonder what his wondering eye wonders about.

Yea, I wander too!

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 03, 2018, 01:39:59 pm
I'm okay with a grown man being committed to his family over catering to people like you to fulfill your wishes.

Especially when his family is a 30 minute plane flight away.

This is so danged trivial and asinine that it's ridiculous. His kid is a solid QB at a state-championship winning high school in Texas.
Forgive me, but if I have two years left in high school and I'm a damn good QB on a damn good Texas high school team and my dad is only a 30 minute flight away and he's perfectly okay with me staying at the school I'm at, I'm gonna do it.

Bobby Petrino nixed his commitment to his family AND the U of A when he plowed a subordinate U of A staff member.

Trying to tell a grown man he's not committed to his job because of his family affairs. Get a life.

Wasn't Petrino's daughter on a golf scholarship at Kentucky when he was here?

I also think some are making too much out of this.  For all we know, the entire purpose may be so Chandler can recruit HP for Arkansas. 

racinghog

Woahhhh I didn't ridicule him at all. I just stated what had already been put on here. I just want stability in the program and getting us back to relevancy, long term. I understand your in your 20's and still trying to move up and this is commendable. I also understand that in the climate of college football today coaches do not last long term and this usually not of the coaches choosing. But I can hope.

RazorWest

While I don't think his family staying behind would make him less committed to the hogs, I do worry that it might have a negative affect on his life and coaching.  I know when life get's stressful, as it always is in the SEC, I need the support of my wife and kids.  Trying to do a highly stressful job while not having your wife and kids to come home to at night might have some negative consequences. 

racinghog

Quote from: redeye on January 03, 2018, 03:04:53 pm
Yea, I wander too!

Wasn't Petrino's daughter on a golf scholarship at Kentucky when he was here?

I also think some are making too much out of this.  For all we know, the entire purpose may be so Chandler can recruit HP for Arkansas. 
Yes CCM has a daughter at A&M. I see no reason for her to transfer. And that is a great point about recruiting.

LZH

Not saying I blame him, but it does kinda smack of "I'll take your money but I ain't moving my family to the sticks....."

porkrindjimmy

Like women at a beauty shop.

Cry and talk about anything.

We got a good coach, no matter where his son plays HS football.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2018, 01:56:28 pm

Naw dude...they packed up in Tennessee and moved to Beverley...hills that is.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 02:31:50 pm
That's not always true. I worked for 25 years as an Associate Funeral Director and I had chances to get my license and become a full fledged Funeral Director which would have meant more money but I had no desire to do that. I like what I was doing and was okay with the salary I was being paid.

Paul Bearer.....

Who would of thunk it?

PRJ

Beardog

I don't care if he lives in Prairie Grove or flies home to Dallas every night. We only care if he wins games, let's not sugarcoat this into saying he needs to be on the PTA board and an upstanding NWA citizen. If he wins, we are happy fans. Plain and simple.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 02:31:50 pm

And see.....I question your motivation. 25 years in the same position and never once, never once did you envision being the big Kahuna?

See....Chad Morris could've been satisfied with just being the coach at SMU, the equivalent of an associate funeral director...but he studied the manual's, took the tests and was motivated to move up the ladder to become the head coach at the you ofA...he took that chance...something I am highly disappointed in with you Guv....lack of fire, lack of commitment to the funeral service...

And yet here you are, questioning Morris's commitment....

Tsk Tsk.

PRJ

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 02:24:15 pm
A responsible parent does not let a 15 or 16 year old make a decision like that. There is a reason teenagers are referred to as "minors". I was a Preacher's kid. When the family moved, I moved with them whether I liked it or not. I remember when we lived in Mountain Pine just outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas and I absolutely loved it living there less than a mile from Lake Ouachita in the mountains but when dad was called to another church, my brother and I had no say in it. We did as we were told and moved with the family even though we didn't want to leave. When one is a minor and under the care of their parents, that's the way it is.

...because your situation growing up was exactly as CCM's family's is now.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RME

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 03, 2018, 06:24:54 pm

Exactly.

porkrindjimmy

He is an associate funeral director brotha.....

All situations are black and white to the Guv.

PRJ

PonderinHog

Welcome to Guvworld.

rude1

Nothing to see here, let's see, teenage son has been on the move most of his growing life, finally old enough to have some input on what he would like to do, would like to stay and finish high school where he is settled and have friends and teammates he likes. Anyone should be able to understand why he would want to stay and not move AGAIN........

Ex-Trumpet

Parents, for the most part, try to do what's best for their kids and family unit.  CCM probably feels like Highland Park is going to prepare his son better than anywhere in NWA.  (And not just in football.)

And given his access to transportation--and means to fund said transportation--he will probably see his family about as much as if they were living in NWA.

I honestly don't see why some are so rattled by this.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RME

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 03, 2018, 06:32:02 pm
Parents, for the most part, try to do what's best for their kids and family unit.  CCM probably feels like Highland Park is going to prepare his son better than anywhere in NWA.  (And not just in football.)

And given his access to transportation--and means to fund said transportation--he will probably see his family about as much as if they were living in NWA.

I honestly don't see why some are so rattled by this.

Because bahgawd it doesn't fit THEIR preference!

RebHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2018, 09:40:34 am
We generally don't have coaches stay past 5 years, I'll worry about that at the time. He'll either have us in good shape by then, or we'll be ready to punt him done the road.

+1

At this point CCM based off his only HC gig is ahead of the game on where he should be. In 5 years if he is able to move on to a "better" coaching job then we are in a good spot and he has improved the program.

RebHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 02:24:15 pm

Hate to break it to you but being a preachers kid I dont think you had the options CCM and his family have. Would you have liked it if you dad would have given you the option to say in mountain pine with frequent visits back and forth? There are many occupations that keep parents on the road and away from their kids alot more than this situation would be. I would rather the family chose to come here but as a family man myself and also someone grateful growing up never having to move and still have good relationships with the friends I grew up with so I would totally respect this if true. He will prove his commitment level to the program on how hard he works in recruiting and on the field performance.

Al Boarland

Who cares if he leaves for a better job in a few years if he builds a respectable program?

ballz2thewall

hogville, how should we raise our children?
The rest of the frog.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 03, 2018, 07:43:25 pm
hogville, how should we raise our children?

To be associate funeral directors....

PRJ

hoglady

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 09:35:38 am
I hope you are correct. But reading here the last few days something has bothered me about what another poster said. It was said that he has a wondering eye and is always looking for the next job. (this was something told to one of our HV regulars from a Clemson insider) If you look at his history his longest stay was 5 years in one place. If he POSSIBLY doesn't move his family here that would be raising a red flag for me.

Anyone who had to change schools during their high school years wouldn't wish that on anyone.
I went to 3 different high schools in 3 different cities - changed schools and cities after each year.
It's high school hell.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Fan1958 on January 03, 2018, 09:39:48 am
Wonder what his wondering eye wonders about.

The Mollusk, by Ween
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

rljjr

Quote from: LZH on January 03, 2018, 05:58:20 pm
Not saying I blame him, but it does kinda smack of "I'll take your money but I ain't moving my family to the sticks....."

Or ... OR ... like many military families I worked with they become geographically separated so their kid can finish his last year of HS. This is not the great problem people are making it out to be. It happens in all walks of life.

VBMark

Currently living through a very similar situation with regard to a current HS junior.

Let us return to what Coach Morris said when he was hired. "Being a coach does not define who I am. I work as a coach. I am a husband and father."

When you approach life in that way it leads you to make choices others would not.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

1HourToHogville

Only thing I learned in this thread is Guvhog by admission married a smart woman who wears the pants in his family while he lacks ambition. 

Come on Spring football.

BossHawg_Outlaw

His family could live on the moon for all I care.  Just do your job and win football games everything else means jack

Justagp

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on January 03, 2018, 06:26:23 pm
He is an associate funeral director brotha.....

All situations are black and white to the Guv.

PRJ
Yes, this make total sense now.

hogninja

Add to ALL  of this meddling in a man's private life, possibly getting a house ready for selling could add a few months to the picture. Remember  Jen had to stay back to clean up Wisconsin.  CCM took the job so HE is totally committed, what HE AND THE REST OF HIS FAMILY decide to make it happen best for them is NONE of your or my business. Move on to something relevant to football.

secfan30

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 11:29:07 am
Couple of things, his son is going to be a Jr. not a SR. I think I am right on this but will stand corrected if not. Second this poster is pretty reliable and he was "told" this by a Clemson insider (take it as you will). And third in this answer I want someone who is gonna move our program back to prominence on the national stage and keep it there. I tire of the coaching searches every 4 to 5 years. Just shows that this is not a top tier program.

You're leaving out an important piece of information from that post. He also said this was when Morris was the offensive coordinator at Clemson five years ago.