Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sources: Ole Miss will hire Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis

Started by jbcarol, March 14, 2018, 06:41:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ole Miss will hire Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis as its next head basketball coach, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

An official announcement is expected by the end of this week.

Quote58-year old Davis has been with the Blue Raiders since 2002 and led Middle Tennessee to three NCAA Tournament appearances during that span. He won games in the field of 68 in both 2016 and 2017.

Davis was previously the head coach at both Idaho and Texas A&M before landing in Murfreesboro.

He gained national attention two years ago following Middle Tennessee's upset over Michigan State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

His father coached at Miss. State for 7 seasons in the '70's.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

husker71

former show cause guy but he spent a lot of time at mid major so I guess he has paid his dues.  All the talk about Pitino at Georgia kind of blends into this but Pitino would not go to a mid major IMHO

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
21m21 minutes ago

Win Case and Ronnie Hamilton are expected to be a part of Kermit Davis' staff at Ole Miss as assistant coaches, per a source. Both were on staff at Middle Tennessee.

jbcarol

Antonio Morales
‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

"He's going to get after it and he knows it's going to be a tough job, but that's what he likes and that's what coaching is all about," Kermit Davis Sr. on Kermit Jr. at Ole Miss.

QuoteOXFORD — Kermit Davis Sr. played at Mississippi State in the late 1950s. He coached the Bulldogs for seven seasons (from 1970-77).

His son Kermit Davis Jr. played at Mississippi State and served as a graduate assistant there. Davis Sr.'s two other children attended MSU as well.

On Thursday, Ole Miss made its hire of Davis Jr. official, meaning the family will join the other side of the in-state rivalry for the first time.

"I love Mississippi State, but I'm going to love Ole Miss, too, and I'm going to pull for them as hard as we possibly can," the 82-year-old Davis Sr. said over the phone Friday morning. "I'll still pull for Mississippi State when they're not playing Kermit and Ole Miss."

"He knows what it's going to take. He has to get out and get some players," Davis Sr. said. "I'll say this: I like Andy Kennedy. Kermit is a friend of Andy. But he knows what it is. Usually, good players make good coaches. He's going to get after it and he knows it's going to be a tough job, but that's what he likes and that's what coaching is all about."

If the Blue Raiders win Sunday night, and Mississippi State beats Baylor earlier in the day, then Davis Jr. would coach against the Bulldogs, his new in-state rival, in the NIT quarterfinals, much sooner than he probably imagined.

If that doesn't come to fruition, there's always next season.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell
4m4 minutes ago

Ole Miss releases contract details for new basketball coach Kermit Davis

QuoteIt turns out, Kermit Davis received a very healthy raise to leave Middle Tennessee State and join Ole Miss.

Davis will make $2.5 million per season, according to contract details released by Ole Miss on Monday evening. It's a 4-year deal worth $10 million, plus incentives.

4 year deal is the maximum allowed by state law

Brad Logan
‏ @BradLoganCOTE

Additional details and incentives of Kermit Davis' contract. #OleMiss

Pudgepork

jbcarol

Peter Burns
‏Verified account @PeterBurnsESPN

Here in Oxford a new era for @OleMissMBB begins.

Welcome back to the @SEC Coach Kermit Davis.

Also, this is the first time I've been in the new Pavillon. As nice of a college basketball arena I've ever seen.

jbcarol

Davis 'Firing Shots' at 'Best Guys' in Third Assistant Search

Along with recruiting and getting to know the current roster better, Ole Miss men's basketball coach Kermit Davis is in the process of closing in on a third assistant hire.

QuoteRebels signed four players in the fall. However, Anthony Higgs and Serrel Smith requested, and were granted, their respective releases, though Davis and staff are still actively recruiting Smith, a three-star combo guard ranked as the No. 178 prospect. Zach Naylor recently re-affirmed his commitment to Ole Miss. Brian Halums currently remains a signee as well.

Ole Miss has five spots to fill on its roster. Blake Hinson, a three-star forward recently reclassified from 2019, is visiting campus this weekend, as is Tye Fagan, a three-star guard formally committed to Davis at Middle Tennessee State.

Ole Miss has a hole at the four, a position integral to the structure, and spacing, of Davis' offense. Marcanvis Hymon was the primary starter at the four last season. Ole Miss finished 12-20 overall.

"I do think Bruce Stevens (can play the four), but can he guard a four? He's a stretch guy, has great power," Davis said. "We've got to get Bruce in better shape. He now weighs about 256. If we can get him down between 240, 245, that body fat goes way down and he can guard a four, because he can shoot like one. We have to get him confident to do it.

"Bruce, even if he plays a five, you get Bruce Stevens playing a five and you start stretching conventional big guys out there, now you can really open up your offense. That's our goal for him, but (landing a four) is going to be a huge priority in recruiting, just being able to get guys that can stretch it, guard that position."

Davis is tasked, too, with rounding out his staff. He brought assistants Ronnie Hamilton and Winn Case with him from Middle Tennessee, but the search for a third is still ongoing.

"It sounds cliche, but it is a national search," Davis said. "We're firing shots at the best guys in college basketball. That's what we're doing, and we're going to take our time unless one of these guys say yes. We're down the road with it, probably three or four guys that we're looking at. But I just think we have two elite coaches in Ronnie and Wynn. We've got to get a third guy that is not only the lead recruiter, but a really good coach on the floor. We're looking at a lot of different avenues. But we're visiting with two or three guys here personally in the next, probably, five or six days."

All the offseason work is in an effort to put together a team that can contend for the NCAA Tournament in year one, lofty as that goal may be following the Rebels' last-place finish in the SEC in 2017-18.

But the NCAA Tournament is and always will be the goal. Ross Bjork made it a priority in the search that led to Davis — the Ole Miss athletics director saying he wants a basketball program that no longer sweats the bubble every year, but enters Selection Sunday knowing its secured a bid and is simply waiting on seeding.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account@JonRothstein
4m4 minutes ago

Ole Miss improves to 2-0 in Canada with an 84-77 win over Concordia. Breein Tyree and Terence Davis combine for 41 in the victory.