Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you rate Jimmy's first class?

Started by nwahogfan1, April 21, 2015, 01:12:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

A or B or whatever?  Did he recruit to needs or just get numbers?

I give him an A for both but am I being a homer?  2 big ladies, 2 PGs, 2 tall athletic 2/3's  and a SG.

As far as meeting  his needs he signed  2 PGs who are top 75 players,  2 tall athletic 2/3's who I think are top 150, one JUCO big is an AA and the other is a good player who average almost 10 rpg and good shot blocker.  The freshman signee from Georgia 5'9 SG is rated in the top 150 a 3 star.

If he can get the 5'10 JUCO AA SG Cosper then I think this has to be a very good Class.

What you say????

flippinhogmana

I will tell you about this time next year  :razorback: :)  but so far, so good.  I think AC is going to be good.  The freshmen, I will believe the best, but wait and see.

I wouldnt mind him adding that Coffeeville AA shooting guard.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

beringer62

Is Cosper still an option? Did she visit? Enjoy visit?

MoHog74

I think it is a very balanced class.  I'd give him an A if for no other reason than for keeping Arkansas HS players in Arkansas.   :razorback:

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: MoHog74 on April 21, 2015, 01:33:35 pm
I think it is a very balanced class.  I'd give him an A if for no other reason than for keeping Arkansas HS players in Arkansas.   :razorback:

Co-sign.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: MoHog74 on April 21, 2015, 01:33:35 pm

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 21, 2015, 03:07:59 pm
Co-sign.

I too agree with especially that aspect
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 21, 2015, 01:18:29 pm
I will tell you about this time next year  :razorback: :)  but so far, so good.  I think AC is going to be good.  The freshmen, I will believe the best, but wait and see.

I wouldnt mind him adding that Coffeeville AA shooting guard.
I don't want to have to depend on too many freshmen next year.  Except for the two PGs.  I don't know if the others will be ready for extended duty next year but I think they are nice players to build on later on down the road.  We better get some mileage from the JUCOs though.

flippinhogmana

April 21, 2015, 09:11:20 pm #7 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:51:36 pm by flippinhogmana
thank God for Melissa Wolff, Kelsey Brooks, Jessica Jackson, and Alecia Cooley for that matter (and to an extinct DD West, and maybe Joey Bailey), and yeah the shooting guard to spell Kelsey or compliment her would be good too!

I like the three starters being back just to set the tone in the locker room and to settle things down out on the court.  Freshmen point guards especially will need that.

The Pocahontas Porker

A +   especially giving the fact hes only had 1 true year to get settled down without having to rush to sign the girls...
The Pitt Boss ,  The Muss Bus , The DVH Wagon . Coach Diefel , Coach Taylor , Coach Wieber an Coach McMakin life is great on the hill .

john

There were 2 Juco All-American players I read about last week we had a shot with: Devin Cosper & ? De Paulo. Is there any news on either of these players.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: john on April 21, 2015, 09:54:20 pm
There were 2 Juco All-American players I read about last week we had a shot with: Devin Cosper & ? De Paulo. Is there any news on either of these players.

Not yet that I can find. Dying to know, however.

flippinhogmana

April 21, 2015, 10:01:06 pm #11 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:11:57 pm by flippinhogmana
I am told we still have a decent shot and we are still working to recruit both of them, and de Paulo first name is Angelica, I believe.  PsycHogolist is right!

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

jackflash

A that's my grade. Jimmy done well, he needed size went and got it.

pigture perfect

I am impressed with Jimmy going out and getting this class. Now let's see him coach.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 21, 2015, 10:08:06 pm
If this is her (and I think it is), it's Angelica. Angel-y either way.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/wbkb/2013-14/div1/players/angelicadepauloqfsb
When I clicked on it, it brought up her freshman stats.  Her stats were much better her Soph year.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 22, 2015, 07:00:14 am
When I clicked on it, it brought up her freshman stats.  Her stats were much better her Soph year.

I noticed that also. It shows an avg of only 13 mpg and 6 ppg. Those didn't jive with AA recognition for 2nd yr.

psycHOGlogist

I probably just linked the wrong page - I did a very quick google search on de Paulo and New Mexico Community College and grabbed the first link that popped up. Sorry for any confusion!

BWS

Devin Cosper did a radio interview today. She said her top four choices are Arkansas, Wichita State, Oklahoma State and returning to Coffeyville Community College for her second year. She said she'll announce her choice via twitter on Saturday.

Scott7703

Quote from: BWS on April 22, 2015, 01:09:02 pm
Devin Cosper did a radio interview today. She said her top four choices are Arkansas, Wichita State, Oklahoma State and returning to Coffeyville Community College for her second year. She said she'll announce her choice via twitter on Saturday.

Hopefully the lady backs land her. She would be yet another great get by CJD.

Jim Harris

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 21, 2015, 01:12:09 pm
A or B or whatever?  Did he recruit to needs or just get numbers?

I give him an A for both but am I being a homer?  2 big ladies, 2 PGs, 2 tall athletic 2/3's  and a SG.

As far as meeting  his needs he signed  2 PGs who are top 75 players,  2 tall athletic 2/3's who I think are top 150, one JUCO big is an AA and the other is a good player who average almost 10 rpg and good shot blocker.  The freshman signee from Georgia 5'9 SG is rated in the top 150 a 3 star.

If he can get the 5'10 JUCO AA SG Cosper then I think this has to be a very good Class.

What you say????

I know that Danberry and Monk will be as fast and talented as any two guards Arkansas women have ever had. Never sure about juco bigs until they actually play as Razorbacks. Goes for men's side, too.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

MoHog74

I believe I'll increase my prior evaluation up to an A+ with the addition of Smith and DePaulo.  It will be interesting to see how the 2015-2016 season goes with a full squad of quality players.  Having substitution choices certainly increases the complexity of game management.  But having the ability to keep fresh players on the court, which could allow us to pressure backcourt will be nice.  When's the schedule come out?   :)

:razorback:

nwahogfan1

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2015, 12:08:38 am
I am impressed with Jimmy going out and getting this class. Now let's see him coach.
We saw him coach this year and to me did a very good job.  He fit the system to his players. He ran mostly a packed in man defense because he was not overly athletic and got to the Dance and got one win.  It helps bringing back a good core but lets face it with so many new players it will take a while for the team to gel.   My only question about Dykes' Coaching is his ability to motivate girls.  If we have another  high turnover of girls next year as this year then I am starting to worry.

Hogtied85

With the new basketball performance center opening this summer. Just think about it you guys. We could have 6 All-American on the team next year. 3 JUCO All-Americans if we get Devin Cosper with continued development of Jessica Jackson, Kelsey Brooks and Jordan Danberry. Arkansas could be dangerous. VERY DANGEROUS

I think Jessica and Kelsey will All-Americans next year

Hogtied85

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 23, 2015, 10:50:35 am
We saw him coach this year and to me did a very good job.  He fit the system to his players. He ran mostly a packed in man defense because he was not overly athletic and got to the Dance and got one win.  It helps bringing back a good core but lets face it with so many new players it will take a while for the team to gel.   My only question about Dykes' Coaching is his ability to motivate girls.  If we have another  high turnover of girls next year as this year then I am starting to worry.

We had a high turnover of players last year because those players were committed to Coach Collen.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 23, 2015, 10:50:35 am

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 23, 2015, 10:54:29 am
We had a high turnover of players last year because those players were committed to Coach Collen.

No doubt that was a substantial part of it, if not all of it.  That turnover is in the past.  I think it is for nwa too.  My focus is here forward.  As far as the thread's original question, with the addition of de Paulo and possibly Devin Cosper I would say this:  if he gets her and if he gets all of them here, and eligible (with the JCs all of them have to finish current semesters successfully), then forget letter grades, I think will have done a top five job.  That doesn't say it will necessarily be a raving success as another poster has pointed out with that many people it may take time (not only for the players but for the coaches with them) to gel but it will be a better problem to have than not thaning any depth and not enough height and outside shooting.

dbhog

Coach JD tweeted that he got Cosper so I would rate this class very high.  It will be interesting to see if he can assimilate all of these JC players into his system early.

flippinhogmana

My first response was I will tell you in a year, but I don't think that would be rating the class so much as it would be rating the coaches ability to mold them.  In Alecia Cooley, Malika Monk, Devin Cosper, Angelica de Paulo, and Jordan Danberry you have five players that have been or would have to be rated as four stars or higher.  Not only that they fit the need that Arkansas has in creating their own shots (Danberry, Cooley, de Paulo and Cosper especially can all do that), and in height (especially Cooley and Tatianna Smith).  You also have Tatianna Smith, Swenson, Zimmermann and the guard from Georgia (Brianna Freeman?) who would have to be rated threes. 

I think it has to be a top five class and I don't remember its equal at the University.  Now what we do with it is another question.  Ask me in a year how I rate JD and his staff's coaching effort/ability and I will honestly be able to tell you.  Last year wasnt an accurate or fair test for several reasons, but this one will be.

Scott7703

April 27, 2015, 07:27:03 pm #29 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:29:58 pm by Scott7703
Now that its complete no doubt it's an A+. Each need has been met. We needed inside help/size and we more than met that need. I personally expect Cooley to have a great year. Cosper adds a versatile player who can play the 1-3, is a tremendous athlete, and most importantly can really shoot the basketball. Danberry and monk will add the speed and playmaking ability we've lacked at the guard spot also. Add De Paulo who will provide quality interior depth and I do t ever remember a better, more complete class being signed at Arkansas. I potentially see a lineup of:

Brooks
Cosper
Jackson
Woolf
Cooley

These 5 plus the added depth make arkansas a very dangerous team heading into next season.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 27, 2015, 07:27:03 pm
I potentially see a lineup of:

Brooks
Cosper
Jackson
Woolf
Cooley

I agree with your grade - if everyone arrives and is eligible - and your lineup looks very solid. One question - of those five, who runs point, Cosper or Brooks?

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 27, 2015, 08:20:19 pm
I agree with your grade - if everyone arrives and is eligible - and your lineup looks very solid. One question - of those five, who runs point, Cosper or Brooks?

In that particular scenario I would go with brooks. I like Cosper on the wing ready to shoot the ball. I almost went with a freshman point guard but couldn't see a scenario where Cosper doesn't start.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 27, 2015, 08:28:43 pm
In that particular scenario I would go with brooks. I like Cosper on the wing ready to shoot the ball. I almost went with a freshman point guard but couldn't see a scenario where Cosper doesn't start.

where brooks doesnt, if one of them doesnt run point...

psycHOGlogist

Which very talented guard to start, and which to sub in ....

What a problem to have! Not one that confronted CJD this past year, for sure.

hog63

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 27, 2015, 08:28:43 pm

Brooks does not want to play point.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 27, 2015, 08:20:19 pm

It may turn out that wont be a case of either or.  Amore does funny things.  Two of our young ladies are closely associated to young men entering the nba draft.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog63 on April 28, 2015, 11:25:07 am
Brooks does not want to play point.

If Cosper can and will, I would rather have the ball in her hands anyway.  She is fast (anchor her schools championship 4x100 meter relay team) and even more a scorer I think that Brooks or Danberry.  Have you seen her physique?  She is chiseled.

jdlittle

I would like to know how they rank nationally and how Arkansas'  recruiting class ranks in the SEC. 

Any ideas, or anyplace to check?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jdlittle on April 28, 2015, 02:42:46 pm
I would like to know how they rank nationally and how Arkansas'  recruiting class ranks in the SEC. 

Any ideas, or anyplace to check?

ESPN/Hoopgurlz is the only recuriting service I know about.  They dont even rank us in the top twenty.  I would have to think we are close to being top twenty with just the fall class but it doesnt show lower than twenty.  I would think that the four we recruit this spring would have to bump us much higher, certainly into the top twenty, top ten, adn I would argue into the top five.  It's just how you evaluate.

wbbfan32

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 28, 2015, 12:28:53 pm
It may turn out that wont be a case of either or.  Amore does funny things.  Two of our young ladies are closely associated to young men entering the nba draft.

do you believe Kelsey is not returning?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 28, 2015, 03:11:03 pm
ESPN/Hoopgurlz is the only recuriting service I know about.  They dont even rank us in the top twenty.  I would have to think we are close to being top twenty with just the fall class but it doesnt show lower than twenty.  I would think that the four we recruit this spring would have to bump us much higher, certainly into the top twenty, top ten, adn I would argue into the top five.  It's just how you evaluate.

I was very surprised that the fall class did not crack the ESPNHoopGurlz top 20 classes. I have to assume we were 21, because on paper ours looks better (to my biased eyes) than the last few ranked teams.

I don't believe HoopGurlz takes JC players into account in ranking their classes, so our 3 JC AA players and fourth quality signee will likely not improve our ranking there. There are some other recruiting services, but none that I'm aware of that does rankings like ESPNHoopGurlz.

flippinhogmana

April 28, 2015, 10:25:38 pm #41 Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:44:01 pm by flippinhogmana
Texas is rated fifth In ESPN/Hoopgurlz class rankings, they have 3 commitments, two five star, and a four star
California is rate ninth they have five commitments, a five two fours, two threes

so if we have, as I would rank them one five (Jordan Danberry ranked a five star by the same service), four fours (one of whom is Malica Monk, ranked that by the same service, and I would rank the three JC AA's as four starts too, although I think Alecia Cooley ranks higher than a four and maybe Devin Cosper does too), and four threes (they were or are ranked that in hs), how would that rank us?  I would say definitely higher than California, and as high, I would think as Texas, thoughts?  Disagreements?

psycHOGlogist

May 21, 2015, 08:59:53 pm #42 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:24:51 pm by psycHOGlogist
ESPN has (finally!) gotten around to re-ranking the signing classes, and Arkansas has slid into position #20 nationally (3rd in the SEC behind Kentucky's #12 and Tennessee's #13).

Also, this ranking does NOT include the JuCo signees - it is based only on the incoming class of 5 freshmen (Danberry, Monk, Swenson, Freeman, and Zimmerman).

Link: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings?class=2015

Kudos!

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 21, 2015, 08:59:53 pm
ESPN has (finally!) gotten around to re-ranking the signing classes, and Arkansas has slid into position #20 nationally (3rd in the SEC behind Kentucky's #12 and Tennessee's #13).

Also, this ranking does NOT include the JuCo signees - it is based only on the incoming class of 5 freshmen (Danberry, Monk, Swenson, Freeman, and Zimmerman).

Link: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings?class=2015

Kudos!

Pretty impressive if you ask me. With a little more success CJD and staff may take our recruiting to an elite level. Pretty impressive finish to the class as well. Basically landed everyone he wanted.

flippinhogmana

Like I said earlier, I think the class with the addition of the three 'need based' JC AAs is now a top five recruiting class.  I used to be concerned with how the new players would mesh with the returning starters...With as few now as may be coming back, I am more worried about how the returning starters mesh with the newcomers.

NotoRioUsHOG

Great job and will only get better---Pig Sooie
Notorious

Three and Snout

I don't have details, but De Paulo isn't eligible.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Three and Snout on June 29, 2015, 08:04:06 pm
I don't have details, but De Paulo isn't eligible.

Details are important, hog fan, like is she a summer session away from being eligible, or something like that?  If thats what it is, thats not too bad.  But if its something else, it could be a bummer. 

Still, I said once before, we really needed Alecia Cooley (a 6-2/3 true athletic low post player), and I think Devin Cosper is big too (an explosive athletic big guard).  Of the three JC AAs, De Paulo (a 6-1 forward that we have three of already, in Zimmerman, Melissa Wolf and Swenson) is the one that we could most afford to be without when practice starts.  Still hope she gets eligible, but even if we are down to eleven now, thats still better than nine and we are longer and better than last year athletically, if not as experienced with losing Berna and Bowen.

Three and Snout

I haven't been watching the roster to know if she was ever listed before, but she's not listed now.  http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/w-baskbl/roster/?season=2015-16

flippinhogmana

June 29, 2015, 10:08:56 pm #49 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:30:29 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Three and Snout on June 29, 2015, 08:34:45 pm
I haven't been watching the roster to know if she was ever listed before, but she's not listed now.  http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/w-baskbl/roster/?season=2015-16

she was.  bottom line right now is that JD's first class is fluid.  Likely to be some more goings though. May only have single digits to start again this year before its over.  sigh.  hope for better.  my information confirms third and snouts.