Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Butch Jones Was Given An Option

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, November 13, 2017, 06:43:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

During his meeting with Tennessee AD Currie, Butch Jones was notified that he would not be retained at the end of the season. He was given the option to finish out the season or go ahead and leave. He decided to go ahead and opt out. What are the odds that Bielema has had a similar conversation with Jeff Long but unlike Jones, decided to finish out the season?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

I doubt there has been anything like this between Bret and Jeff.

East Clintwood

I would say it all depends on the dollars involved.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

riccoar

Nope, not after the John L. Smith debacle.  I think he simply knows after Mizzou it's over.

SmokinHog

Quote from: riccoar on November 13, 2017, 06:53:58 am
Nope, not after the John L. Smith debacle.  I think he simply knows after Mizzou it's over.

The John L debacle is brought up quite a bit on here, and for good reason. IMO that entire situation is grounds enough to ensure Long be fired at the end of this mess. This whole thing has snowballed from that... and anyone who, after some due diligence, thought hiring John L in any capacity was a sound decision should be relieved of their duties.

DeltaBoy

Butch out recruited the Hogs yet has worse on field results.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dominicanhog

HF#1

Jeff will wait until the end of the season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 08:45:10 am
I think Butch won 14 SEC games to CBB's what, 11?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hog Pharm

Quote from: SmokinHog on November 13, 2017, 07:48:08 am
The John L debacle is brought up quite a bit on here, and for good reason. IMO that entire situation is grounds enough to ensure Long be fired at the end of this mess. This whole thing has snowballed from that... and anyone who, after some due diligence, thought hiring John L in any capacity was a sound decision should be relieved of their duties.

I don't believe it would have mattered who the interim coach was. Petrino had such a tight hold on the program that it was going to unravel once he was removed.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 13, 2017, 09:23:10 am
I think Butch won 14 SEC games to CBB's what, 11?

In the East. I doubt Butch would have had double digit wins in the West.

jkstock04

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 13, 2017, 06:43:15 am
During his meeting with Tennessee AD Currie, Butch Jones was notified that he would not be retained at the end of the season. He was given the option to finish out the season or go ahead and leave. He decided to go ahead and opt out. What are the odds that Bielema has had a similar conversation with Jeff Long but unlike Jones, decided to finish out the season?
Highly doubtful.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tick Hog

The SEC is tough man. Butch did well at Central Michigan then had 9 and 10 win seasons at Cincinnati. Very few coaches are for sure hires.

STLhawg

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 13, 2017, 09:30:23 am
I don't believe it would have mattered who the interim coach was. Petrino had such a tight hold on the program that it was going to unravel once he was removed.
I tend to agree.  Wondering who these people bellyaching about JLS think we should have hired as an interm coach?  I fully admit JLS was a complete train wreck, but I put most all the blame on BP because his actions caused that mess!

solitons

if CBB were gave this option, he would do same thing, since no body want two additional loss on his resume.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 13, 2017, 09:31:38 am
In the East. I doubt Butch would have had double digit wins in the West.
We beat Florida last year and Tennessee year before that. What is Butch's record against the West?

HogPharmer

So we should fire JL NOW for who our interim head coach was 6 seasons ago?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Quote from: solitons on November 13, 2017, 10:06:00 am
if CBB were gave this option, he would do same thing, since no body want two additional loss on his resume.

2 more losses is a drop in the bucket for CBB's tenure here.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

BigE_23

Two 9-win seasons and a plus .500 overall winning percentage are a far cry from worse than what Bert has fielded in the same amount of time.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Word coming out of Knoxville is that Butch Jones was a POS of a human.  Signs of been there for awhile.  TN probably could have fired him for cause after he Code Oranged the kid for helping the rape victim.  Wouldn't be surprised if the buyout is negotiated down.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

The SEC is a different beast,  It the place Poor Coaches don't last , Good ones get humbled yearly but win enough to keep the Job     (Mullen) and we have our King Saban.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jkstock04

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 11:33:55 am
The SEC is a different beast,  It the place Poor Coaches don't last , Good ones get humbled yearly but win enough to keep the Job     (Mullen) and we have our King Saban.
I think it's a good thing that high paying, highly sought jobs also come with high expectations. People wanna blame "crazy idiotic" fan bases like Georgia or LSU...I would point a finger towards the market price for these coaches and what them and their agents demand for $$$ and perks. It's good that it goes both ways...at least at most schools in the conference.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

tlmack

I heard on a sports show in Houston today that Butch Jones had been calling all of his recruits and bashing Tennessee and discouraging them from going there. Classy move if true!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tlmack on November 13, 2017, 05:20:10 pm
I heard on a sports show in Houston today that Butch Jones had been calling all of his recruits and bashing Tennessee and discouraging them from going there. Classy move if true!

It was all over Memphis sports radio. From some I trust.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mellon Collie

I truly believe that if Bret goes 6-6, he is not going anywhere.  This is why he has not been relieved of his duties as of yet.  A loss this week and I am positive there will be an announcement regarding his non-future at Arkansas.

razorpimp

Quote from: tlmack on November 13, 2017, 05:20:10 pm

BB would not do that....he is a good person just not a good coach

davglo35

I don't believe Butch did what the radio program said he did. He is a fairly nice guy. He has always been gracious to the guys on the shows like McElroy and Zarzar. He was nder a ton of stress because the wheels came off and he didn't handle the media very well and said some things he shouldn't have.

Hoggish1

Quote from: riccoar on November 13, 2017, 06:53:58 am

How does ^ relate to the OP?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 10:14:49 am
Word coming out of Knoxville is that Butch Jones was a POS of a human.  Signs of been there for awhile.  TN probably could have fired him for cause after he Code Oranged the kid for helping the rape victim.  Wouldn't be surprised if the buyout is negotiated down.

Yep.  That's why to took leave right away option.  They were descent to a POS

smb

CBB doesn't have the gall to resign.
GeorgiaHOG

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 14, 2017, 08:37:18 am
How does ^ relate to the OP?
interim coaches tend to suck, which is what we have if CBB leaves before the end of the season.

at the very least CBB can keep the program running "smoothly" until a replacement is found.  there is a lot that goes into running a football program other than losing.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mweston

Baylor tried it when they hired Jim Grobe in a similar capacity to what we hired John L.  It didn't work out much better for them.

tbhogfan

Butch Jones 14-24 SEC
Bret Bielema 11-27 SEC

Still doesn't forgive how poorly he coached given the talent he had to work with, but his SEC record was better than ours.
Go Hogs!

SmokinHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 13, 2017, 10:09:09 am
So we should fire JL NOW for who our interim head coach was 6 seasons ago?

No, but the PTB never should have let the hire happen in the first place. Im simply saying that was, and is, a huge blemish on Jeff Longs record here at Arkansas. Factor everything else in, and I think a vote of no confidence is certainly in order.