Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The funny thing about all of this tournament talk

Started by NorthDallas40, January 29, 2017, 09:59:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthDallas40

Is that if we even make the tournament we will lose in the first round. No one here has any serious hopes of making any legitimate or exciting run in it. Sad.

rude1

So what, plenty of good programs lose in the first round, the goal is to first make the tourney, then it becomes a question of match ups.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on January 29, 2017, 09:59:27 am
Is that if we even make the tournament we will lose in the first round. No one here has any serious hopes of making any legitimate or exciting run in it. Sad.

You're right, of course.  A team that is not competitive at the top of its weak conference will not be competitive nationally.  That is the perennial state of the program without a top coach regardless of the talent level.

jjdlc

So what your saying is why even try?  Yeah, thats the spirit.

Hook 'em Hogs

I don't agree. In my mind, coming off a .500 season, making the tourney is the goal. I think MOST fans have said Mike needs to make the tourney or they will not think he's the guy. That's where I am. Make the tourney. 

hogman99

I disagree, Mike has seen the issues with the team and will correct them accordingly. With wins on the horizon, this team will be on a roll with uber confidence come tournament time. I think Arkansas will surprise some folks when March rolls around.

1highhog

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2017, 10:23:26 am
I disagree, Mike has seen the issues with the team and will correct them accordingly. With wins on the horizon, this team will be on a roll with uber confidence come tournament time. I think Arkansas will surprise some folks when March rolls around.

Don't hold your breath fellow Hog fans, there will be a mass burial come March in Arkansas.

Captain Morgan

Please let me have whatever you took this morning.

I would love to be in pom poms rainbows and unicorns land right now.  :razorback:

lynbug

The inconsistent way we have played ALL SEASON LONG is setting us up for a SECT Round one (or maybe two) loss to one of the SEC cellar dwellars.  I'm not sure (haven't checked stats) but I think that has happened a few times in the past 20 years.

hobhog

Funny thing is people still think this is a tournament team. Not going to happen. This team is lost. No identity. No inside presence offensively. Lots of frustrated players. Certainly no coaching. I'm guessing .500 ball from here on out.

Just depends on how much pressure Long gets at seasons end.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hobhog on January 29, 2017, 10:41:22 am
Funny thing is people still think this is a tournament team. Not going to happen. This team is lost. No identity. No inside presence offensively. Lots of frustrated players. Certainly no coaching. I'm guessing .500 ball from here on out.

one loss and we are gonna go .500 the rest of the way against horrible teams? Yeah I don't want what your taking. Idiot.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogman99

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 29, 2017, 10:35:57 am
Please let me have whatever you took this morning.

I would love to be in pom poms rainbows and unicorns land right now.  :razorback:

Not pom poms, just honest evaluation. These are correctable errors by the players and Mike is the right guy to fix them before the Alabama game. We are 16-5 overall and 5-3 in conference with many winnable games ahead. We all could have only dreamed about these records at the start of the year.

WilsonHog

(1) Unless you want to be banned, lay off the name-calling.

(2) Our program is not, nor has it been for many years, in a place where we can downplay a NCAA Tournament bid.

porkinsons disease

January 29, 2017, 10:54:58 am #13 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:32:39 am by porkinsons disease
The issues have been the issues for 6 years. Motion offense that results in a last second prayer or a floater in the lane. Switching out high on defense leaving mismatches all over the floor,slapping and grabbing, an ineffective press that leads to dunks, etc. I think CMA can only coach one way....his way. We rarely see adjustments anywhere. His "system" is effective when we have superior talent. His system is outdated and will not put us consistently in the big tournament. This is not a reaction to yesterday's game, but more like 6 seasons of mediocre basketball (yes I know, we won 27 games once)
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hobhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 29, 2017, 10:44:37 am
one loss and we are gonna go .500 the rest of the way against horrible teams? Yeah I don't want what your taking. Idiot.

We are capable of losing to anybody. This teams psyche took a hit yesterday. Guess we will see.

hogman99

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 29, 2017, 10:54:58 am
The issues have been the issues for 6 years. Motion offense that results in a last second prayer or a floater in the lane. Switching out high on defense leaving mismatches all over the floor,slapping and grabbing, an ineffective press that leads to dunks, etc. I think CMA can on coach one way....his way. We rarely see adjustments anywhere. His "system" is effective when we have superior talent. His system is outdated and will not put us consistently in the big tournament. This is not a reaction to yesterday's game, but more like 6 seasons of mediocre basketball (yes I know, we won 27 games once)

I hear and respect what you are saying, but I am a glass full kind of a guy. Mike has led lesser programs to Sweet 16 and Elite 8 appearances and he will lead us with his style as well. Once refs figured out how the #fastest40 works they will adjust the rules and we will once again be a dominate program that recruits will flock too. If Mike leaves the recruits will not come and we will be where we were the last 20 years. Patience is all I'm asking.

hobhog

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2017, 11:06:30 am
I hear and respect what you are saying, but I am a glass full kind of a guy. Mike has led lesser programs to Sweet 16 and Elite 8 appearances and he will lead us with his style as well. Once refs figured out how the #fastest40 works they will adjust the rules and we will once again be a dominate program that recruits will flock too. If Mike leaves the recruits will not come and we will be where we were the last 20 years. Patience is all I'm asking.

Wow. Refs are going to adjust the rules for the fastest 40? You realize they already did that in 1995 when they took away hand checking, right?

BTW- mike is responsible for 6 of the past 20 years.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2017, 11:06:30 am
Thanks for your response. We disagree, but that is what makes the forums what they are. I am glad to have a civil discussion with someone that does not agree with me. Much respect. Go Hogs.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

OhioHog

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 29, 2017, 10:09:21 am
You're right, of course.  A team that is not competitive at the top of its weak conference will not be competitive nationally.  That is the perennial state of the program without a top coach regardless of the talent level.
How many "top coaches" were lined up for this job?  Instead of complaining about CMA why not try and support him and his players?  Just a thought.

hogman99

Quote from: OhioHog on January 29, 2017, 11:40:34 am
How many "top coaches" were lined up for this job?  Instead of complaining about CMA why not try and support him and his players?  Just a thought.

+1000

hogman99

Quote from: hobhog on January 29, 2017, 11:29:32 am
Wow. Refs are going to adjust the rules for the fastest 40? You realize they already did that in 1995 when they took away hand checking, right?

BTW- mike is responsible for 6 of the past 20 years.

Yes, I realize the change in the hand checking rule years ago. However, rules are always being analyzed and it's time for this one to be modified. I'm hearing there are whispers that the NCAA rules committee has this one under consideration. If it does indeed change, times will be good again for Razorbacks baskeball and the Hog Nation as a whole.

hobhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 29, 2017, 11:54:35 am
Isn't that a two way street though, OhioHog?  Isn't it incumbent on the coach and players to give the fans something to hold on to as well?

This. And I don't understand why people think there is a vast wasteland of coaches out there. It is proven over and over that a good coach can be hired and turn a program around in a year or two. MA has had 6.

He would have never been hired in the first place if his regime had been foreseen here.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: OhioHog on January 29, 2017, 11:40:34 am

Indeed.  How many top coaches would have loved to have the job ?  We don't know the answer.  We only know that Long didn't hire one.  Did he even pursue one ?  Is he even capable of identifying one ?

Putting Long in charge of another hire does not inspire confidence.  However, we know the potential of the program and we know that potential has no chance of being realized under MA.  We knew that 6 years ago.  It's past time to move on.

Atlhogfan1

3 of our next 4 games are against the 12th-14th place teams in the SEC.  The only way we miss the tourney is if we don't beat USC or UF and the committee calls BS on our resume.  If so, they will probably have to do it on a few other resumes this season too.  We should be thankful this is happening before they use more metrics like they will next season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on January 29, 2017, 10:00:33 am
So what, plenty of good programs lose in the first round, the goal is to first make the tourney, then it becomes a question of match ups.

This is what it's all about. Unfortunately, we don't have a Sweet 16 team this year (from the looks of it right now). Hmm. Imagine that after going 16-16 last season, we aren't a strong contender to make a tournament run.

Like you said, once you get into the tournament, it's all about your draw and matchups. How do you guys think Cuonzo Martin got to a Sweet 16 with Tennessee. That team was 11-7 in the SEC and 20-11 headed into the SEC tournament. They beat follow 11 seed Iowa in a play-in and then got a very week 6 seed in UMass, followed by 14 seed Mercer. They didn't beat a single ranked team in the regular season (but they did beat eventual Sweet 16 team Virginia). They only won 4 road games in SEC play. The SEC itself only got 3 teams in that season, and the conference RPI is higher this season.

This thing ain't close to being over. Posters get sooo low after these losses and yet we will go on the road and beat a team after many, many posters (myself included) will say the Hogs are going to lose. Guys, they're in there. They're in the mix. What do you want? We won 16 games last year and we've already got 16 wins with 10 conference games left. I think we will win 70-80% of those remaining games.

hogman99

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2017, 12:50:38 pm
This is what it's all about. Unfortunately, we don't have a Sweet 16 team this year (from the looks of it right now). Hmm. Imagine that after going 16-16 last season, we aren't a strong contender to make a tournament run.

Like you said, once you get into the tournament, it's all about your draw and matchups. How do you guys think Cuonzo Martin got to a Sweet 16 with Tennessee. That team was 11-7 in the SEC and 20-11 headed into the SEC tournament. They beat follow 11 seed Iowa in a play-in and then got a very week 6 seed in UMass, followed by 14 seed Mercer. They didn't beat a single ranked team in the regular season (but they did beat eventual Sweet 16 team Virginia). They only won 4 road games in SEC play. The SEC itself only got 3 teams in that season, and the conference RPI is higher this season.

This thing ain't close to being over. Posters get sooo low after these losses and yet we will go on the road and beat a team after many, many posters (myself included) will say the Hogs are going to lose. Guys, they're in there. They're in the mix. What do you want? We won 16 games last year and we've already got 16 wins with 10 conference games left. I think we will win 70-80% of those remaining games.

Wow, the Tennessee analogy is spot on. March Madness is just ahead and everyone needs to get behind Mike and enjoy the ride. #fastest40

dsims2k3

Still a 9 seed according to Joe Lunardi. #beatBama....
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

zuko

Very agreeable statement.

zuko

Agreeable statement.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2017, 12:50:38 pm

I don't think it is posters getting low after a loss.  They are already low.  Low on the current program and situation.  It just comes out after a 28pt loss. 

They want well prepared teams and a nationally relevant program.  I know.  Baby steps.  Got to get into tourney first.  I don't disagree with that view.     
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

dsims2k3

Let it go. We got beat. Move on. GET READY FOR THE GAME THAT COUNTS MORE. Joe Lunardi  just updated seedings. He has us at #36. On to Bama for 4th place. They're  6-2.  We're 5-3.

#beatBama  :razorback:
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

zuko

Why even talk about tournament play? First you have to have a winning record in a competitive environment. There are 14 teams in the SEC and Arkansas is in 5th among them in win and loss records after that, there is not one team with a winning record. Other than the perennial champion, Kentucky, we have the occasional upstarts like South Carolina & Florida. Arkansas might make the tourney by default because the league is devoid of competition. A lot of teams are rebuilding all at the same time. Mike Anderson, I believe, is in his 6 year as the head basketball coach and has had his contract extended through 2020. He is behind in being a perennial contender ala Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson,. Mike is not a good recruiter. I feel that Nolan Richardson would have convinced Monk to come to Arkansas because he had a program that would serve him (Monk) well into the next step, (the pros) Anderson doesn't have that kind of program and won't because he is motivated more toward graduating  players (his contract includes bonuses for graduating) and that sits very well with Jeff Long. So, where is Arkansas basketball? The answer is; Right where it is expected to be, struggling to make post season tournaments and maybe the will and probably won't but that doesn't make the school mad as long as the players graduate. So, don't expect Mike Anderson's departure any time soon.

gmarv

I personally think the Bama game is gonna show what our kids are mentally made of.After getting smacked in the face like they just did.Bama has to pay and I believe they will.

Then we can start debating in or out of the ncaa tourney in earnest some more.