Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saturday Night's Main Event

Started by hoggiefan, March 16, 2006, 11:48:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggiefan

Is anyone else going to watch this? 

I am wanting to see the Shane vs HBK match.

hydrophonic

SNME comes back to a real broadcast network in prime time 2 weeks before the biggest PPV of the year...  should be a good show.

WWE is hoping to get 1,000,000 buys for Mania and SNME is going to be a big part of that push.

A lot of the internet wrestling sites have been banging on the HBK v Vince storyline but I've been enjoying it more and more each week.  I thought the "public urination test" was hilarious.

I guess I'm mostly looking forward to the main event v main event match.  I'm expecting some foreshadowing for Mania.  If Cena and HHH are going to do the double turn, it should start at SNME somehow.  I still don't know what to expect from Angle v Orton v Mysterio at Mania, SNME should provide some clues.

Like I said, they really need this to grab some of the casual wrestling fans so they buy Mania so it should be a good show.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

HOGLUVIN

hellrazor

March 16, 2006, 01:54:17 pm #3 Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:58:34 pm by hellrazor
my wife and I planned a trip to TX this weekend, but I think I'll be able to watch.

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 16, 2006, 12:27:50 pm
double turn
Nah, won't happen. I think Cena's got a new rap cd coming out. That'd kill the small amount of sells they'll get.
HHH has vowed to get Cena over as a face. He said that they were booing him cause they resented Angle loosing to him so much. Angle has always carried a lot of pops no matter what he does.  HHH will get him over.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

hydrophonic

If H can pull that off, all the internet guys need to get off his back.

Cena has been VERY impressive in the last month or so.  I really enjoyed the promo he and H did on RAW a couple weeks ago and I liked the contract signing too.  Hell, I was impressed when he caught Edge in mid cross body block and then got him up on his shoulders for the FU.  That FU on the Big Show was crazy.

I'm not going to be buying any Cena merchandise - in fact, I declined a free Cena spinner pendant from WWEshopzone on a recent DVD purchase - but I'm about ready to accept him as a legitimate Main Eventer.

hellrazor

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 16, 2006, 02:28:22 pm
  Hell, I was impressed when he caught Edge in mid cross body block and then got him up on his shoulders for the FU. 

I noticed that too. I was shocked I had to watch it again.
Usually, a guy will plant or feed an arm to pull off a move like that. You can tell that it was all Cena. Pretty strong..
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

SiriusHog™

i'm curious about this "JR to ref shane v. hbk" match.. i think it will be vince dressed up as JR..

maniax22bolts20

I'll be watching the return of Saturday Nights Main Event at 7pm on KARK Ch. 4 in Little Rock.

Macgyver Hawg

It won't be able to beat The Super Powers versus the Twin Towers.

hydrophonic

I thought SNME came off well.  The best free show WWE has had in a long time.  I liked that they started with the Main Event v Main Event match, it sort of set the tone for a big night.  That ended up being a good match too, way better than I thought it would be.

I liked the look of the show a lot.  The set, the graphics, all the visuals were top notch.  They did a good job of using Kobo Hall's uniqueness to their benefit.

I'm sure a lot of people didn't like the ending, but that might have been my favorite part of the show.  I laughed and laughed and laughed.  Hell, I still get a little chuckle just thinking about it.  Not only was that one of the funniest things I've seen on WWE TV in months it also makes me wonder what's going to happen at the Hall of Fame ceremony and at Mania.

Rumor is the next SNME will be July 15 in Dallas.  If that turns out to be true I may try to attend even though that would make the show a lead in to The Great American Bash and not one of the big PPVs.

hellrazor

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 20, 2006, 11:27:36 am
I thought SNME came off well.  The best free show WWE has had in a long time.  I liked that they started with the Main Event v Main Event match, it sort of set the tone for a big night.  That ended up being a good match too, way better than I thought it would be.

I liked Cena's counter of the RKO most of all.

QuoteI liked the look of the show a lot.  The set, the graphics, all the visuals were top notch.  They did a good job of using Kobo Hall's uniqueness to their benefit.

I very much agree. Hopefully, the exposure on network television will bring back more of their old audience. I watched the show with a bunch of people that I never thought were wrestling fans. But they recognized Shawn Michaels. I usually hate watching wrestling with a lot of non-wrestling fans, but I was actually proud this time.   The street fight got every one interested.

QuoteI'm sure a lot of people didn't like the ending, but that might have been my favorite part of the show.  I laughed and laughed and laughed.  Hell, I still get a little chuckle just thinking about it.  Not only was that one of the funniest things I've seen on WWE TV in months it also makes me wonder what's going to happen at the Hall of Fame ceremony and at Mania.

I agree, again. I liked it. None of the people I watched the show with understood the history the finish, but it definately got Vince and Shane over as heels in their minds.
Hoggiefan and I recognized the ending and we just kinda looked at each other and shook our heads while smiling.

QuoteRumor is the next SNME will be July 15 in Dallas.  If that turns out to be true I may try to attend even though that would make the show a lead in to The Great American Bash and not one of the big PPVs.

I thought it was going to be on every Saturday..
I thought they were treating this like a ppv to cause it was the return to network and they wanted to get more buys for Mania.
Well, that sucks.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmI usually hate watching wrestling with a lot of non-wrestling fans

Most of the non-wrestling fans that I see wrestling with act like they're really perceptive when they see something "fake" and make a big deal out of it.  It's annoying.  It's not like I don't know.  Oh well, I can't suspend my disbelief enough to watch CSI and some people can't suspend their disbelief enough to watch wrestling.

I have a friend who used to be a pretty hardcore wrestling fan.  His wife won't let him watch it anymore.  It's not that she won't let him put it on, she just makes wise cracks until he changes the channel.  That's the kind of non-wrestling fan that I don't like to watch wrestling with.

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmHoggiefan and I recognized the ending and we just kinda looked at each other and shook our heads while smiling.

I cracked up immediately.  I laughed so hard my neighbors might have heard me.  I laughed like that for several minutes.  I wondered why they put so much emphasis on the "Screw Job" in that video package.  That was really quality stuff.  More spots like this, less like the one of "JR's surgery" please.

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmI thought it was going to be on every Saturday.

I'd love to be wrong.

I've still got SNME on the DVR so I'll probably review it before RAW tonight.

hydrophonic

Oops...  forgot to ask...

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmThe street fight got every one interested.

How did the suplex off the ladder on to the tables go over with the non-wrestling crowd?

I hope Shane will be a bigger part of the show after his new baby is born.  I know he can't take those huge bumps on a weekly basis, but I love the way he sacrifices his body for the show.  He is a TOP NOTCH performer, at least in the roles that he's asked to play.  So long as they never ask him to out wrestle Benoit he should continue to turn in memorable performances.

hoggiefan

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 20, 2006, 02:48:04 pm
Oops...  forgot to ask...

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmThe street fight got every one interested.

How did the suplex off the ladder on to the tables go over with the non-wrestling crowd?

I hope Shane will be a bigger part of the show after his new baby is born.  I know he can't take those huge bumps on a weekly basis, but I love the way he sacrifices his body for the show.  He is a TOP NOTCH performer, at least in the roles that he's asked to play.  So long as they never ask him to out wrestle Benoit he should continue to turn in memorable performances.

The suplex off the ladder on to the tables went over very well with the non-wrestling fans.  They really enjoyed watching it.

hydrophonic

When I re-watched SNME before RAW last night there was something else that made me think about y'all watching the show with the non-wrestling fans...  I can't remember what it was though.

A few things from the show that haven't been mentioned yet:

It sure was great to hear JR's voice on WWE TV.  He is the greatest of all time.  If I were in charge I'd make him the lead announcer for SNME and the big four PPVs.  That will keep him around and leave plenty of crumbs for Michale Cole & Joey Styles.

Somebody had a sign that said "Where's Jericho?"  I know the answer, but I'm glad somebody asked the question in a way that WWE won't be able to miss it.

I noticed a couple - or at least a guy and a girl standing side by side - that were wearing matching TNA logo shirts.

Quote from: hellrazor on March 20, 2006, 02:04:57 pmI liked Cena's counter of the RKO most of all

I guess I more or less missed that the first time through - I had been drinking fairly heavily - but you're right, that counter was fantastic.

Durring RAW they announced that the next SNME will indeed be in Dallas on July 15.  Tickets go on sale this Saturday.  I guess I need to make my mind up about going.  Really the only catch is that it'll be build up for The Great American Bash.  Not only is that a second tier PPV, it's a SmackDown! PPV.  Wait, I guess that means Melina will be there...

hellrazor

March 21, 2006, 05:30:26 pm #15 Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 05:36:21 pm by hellrazor
Quote from: hydrophonic on March 21, 2006, 01:29:04 pm
It sure was great to hear JR's voice on WWE TV.  He is the greatest of all time.  If I were in charge I'd make him the lead announcer for SNME and the big four PPVs.  That will keep him around and leave plenty of crumbs for Michale Cole & Joey Styles.

I'm originally from Tahlequah. For me, JR's voice has been associated with wrestling since the old UWF days.  Honestly, I didn't notice it at first until I saw him at the booth. It was like he was never gone.

The non-wrestling fans we watched it with was Hoggiefan's family. When they saw the suplex spot, they popped. At some points, I stopped watching the match just so I could watch them watching it.  We tuned in too late to see all of it live. All they got to see was the main event. I watched the rest of the show a couple of days later on my dvr.

I very much agree that it was the best free show the WWE has done in a long time. I think they treated it like a ppv. The set was awesome. I was kinda proud of the WWE. It left a good impression of wrestling on the mainstream audience.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hellrazor on March 21, 2006, 05:30:26 pmFor me, JR's voice has been associated with wrestling since the old UWF days.

I'm the same way, except that I was watching UWF when they were still Mid South.  Bill Watts still doesn't get enough credit, his promotions changed wrestling forever.

secthumper

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 22, 2006, 07:33:03 am
Quote from: hellrazor on March 21, 2006, 05:30:26 pmFor me, JR's voice has been associated with wrestling since the old UWF days.

I'm the same way, except that I was watching UWF when they were still Mid South.  Bill Watts still doesn't get enough credit, his promotions changed wrestling forever.

....You are so right about Watts!

....I miss the days of Killer Karl Kox ,Dick Murdoch, The Spoiler with Gary Hart,

....Danny Hodge, Hiro Matsuda, Bruiser Bob Sweetan, Buck Robley, and of course Bruiser Brody, a.k.a. Frank Goodish.... man those really were the days!!

....The storylines were just super!
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

Macgyver Hawg

hydrophonic

I remember The Link having a good run in WCCW.