Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible airshow accident in the UK today

Started by Flying Razorback, August 22, 2015, 10:37:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

A Hawker Hunter crashed in to the highway at the bottom of its loop during an airshow today.  Apparently there were several cars hit by the aircraft and there are casualties on the ground.

Terrible tragedy and mistake.  Most air shows require the aircraft to remain over air show center on the airfield in case something like this happens.  I obviously don't know the bounds of the airspace but this one is bad.  It looks like he didn't get enough altitude at the top of his loop.  Or he didn't have his altimeter set correctly the F-16 Thunder Bird that did the same thing in Idaho a few years back.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34029344
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

They're saying 7 people killed.  That's probably the pilot and 6 on the road.  They say all deaths occurred on the road which seems apparent by the video.

Flying Razorback

Death toll up to 11 now.  But the pilot has survived.  I don't know if that means he ejected or not.

Watching the video, it's clear that the flaps are out throughout the maneuver.  That seems strange to me.  But I'm also not an airshow pilot.   

Seeing the close up videos today, I think he was stalled coming out the bottom of the loop.  It appears that he has the right altitude but he's at too high of an AOA to complete the maneuver.