Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Word on the street

Started by Memhogs, November 11, 2017, 08:30:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggie on November 12, 2017, 01:55:05 pm
In reference to comment on #190: If I recall correctly, Nutt insisted bringing in David Lee as co-offensive coordinator with Gus. That didn't set well with Gus, so he left. It made no sense for Nutt to do that. I think it was a play by him to run Gus off, and it worked......bring Gus home! I don't think it will happen, but I, for one, would love to see it.

That's not exactly true. Before signing day 2006, Mitch Mustain made it known to Nutt that if Gus was named QB coach, he wasn't coming to Arkansas so Nutt named Gus OC and receivers coach then went after David Lee as QB coach but Lee wouldn't come unless he was at least named Co-OC. Since Nutt had already named GUS OC, he went after another QB coach and that didn't work out well. After the seasons end, Nutt let his QB coach go and once again, went after David Lee but this time he offered him the title of Co-OC too and Lee accepted. The Idea was for Gus and Lee to work together on the play calling but Gus had a big ego and refused to accept the Co-OC title. Gus gave Mitch Mustain a long spill about loyalty to the University, talked him into staying put at the U of A, then Gus turned his back on the Springdale boys and jumped ship for Tulsa.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 01:57:48 pm

So what about the part of that's why he was fired?

You're just making stuff up per usual

I'm not making anything up. Gus was a big part of the reason (not all of it) why Jacobs was run off.

jmark

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:13:15 pm
That's not exactly true. Before signing day 2006, Mitch Mustain made it known to Nutt that if Gus was named QB coach, he wasn't coming to Arkansas so Nutt named Gus OC and receivers coach then went after David Lee as QB coach but Lee wouldn't come unless he was at least named Co-OC. Since Nutt had already named GUS OC, he went after another QB coach and that didn't work out well. After the seasons end, Nutt let his QB coach go and once again, went after David Lee but this time he offered him the title of Co-OC too and Lee accepted. The Idea was for Gus and Lee to work together on the play calling but Gus had a big ego and refused to accept the Co-OC title. Gus gave Mitch Mustain a long spill about loyalty to the University, talked him into staying put at the U of A, then Gus turned his back on the Springdale boys and jumped ship for Tulsa.

sounds like the msm version of the story
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:15:24 pm
I'm not making anything up. Gus was a big part of the reason (not all of it) why Jacobs was run off.

Show me a link or proof

Let me guess. You read it on here?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: jmark on November 12, 2017, 02:17:14 pm
sounds like the msm version of the story

No, Nutt was even worse than Gus. There's no debating that.

Hawginj

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:24:20 pm
Hootie was/is terrible

Piggie

GuvHog, I'm not saying what you say is not true, but I don't remember any of that other than the part about David Lee coming in as co-oc with Malzahn being in the paper. Perhaps what you said is from a reliable source like CNN. ;)
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Piggie on November 12, 2017, 02:32:05 pm
GuvHog, I'm not saying what you say is not true, but I don't remember any of that other than the part about David Lee coming in as co-oc with Malzahn being in the paper. Perhaps what you said is from a reliable source like CNN. ;)

You could read Mike Irwin's post history and see a lot of facts on what happened.

Ex-Trumpet

Let's just assume your story is 100% true...just goes to show that you NEVER alter your staff/philosophy to accommodate the whims of an 18 year old kid.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jmark

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:24:20 pm

yes the dork treated gus worse.  but thats no how your davy lee story read

GuvHog

No, I followed the program closely. Some on he know that what I have said is true. Mustain is the reason Gus wasn't named QB coach when he was hired. Mitch wanted David Lee.

jmark

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:35:44 pm
No, I followed the program closely. Some on he know that what I have said is true. Mustain is the reason Gus wasn't named QB coach when he was hired. Mitch wanted David Lee.

I've followed the program pretty close also and i have never heard mm wanted davy lee.

im not saying what you said is wrong, I'm saying your blaming it on gus' ego that he left when there were clearly other egos to blame more

GuvHog

Quote from: jmark on November 12, 2017, 02:43:35 pm
I've followed the program pretty close also and i have never heard mm wanted davy lee.

im not saying what you said is wrong, I'm saying your blaming it on gus' ego that he left when there were clearly other egos to blame more

I'm just telling it like it was. Gus didn't want to be Co-OC and work with David Lee on play calling, he wanted it all to himself. Gus worked as OC under 3 different HCs and got crossways with all 3 of them because of his ego.

It's true that Gus was named OC and receivers coach when he was hired because Mitch didn't want him as QB coach. After Mitch announced that he was transferring, Gus tried to recruit him to Tulsa but he wouldn't go there and it's obvious why.

Matt Burks

If true that Gus was a reason 2 ADs at 2 different Universities got canned, why would any AD take a chance on him? Even if that isn't true, it seems there's a trust issue with Gus.

jmark

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:48:13 pm
I'm just telling it like it was. Gus didn't want to be Co-OC and work with David Lee on play calling, he wanted it all to himself. Gus worked as OC under 3 different HCs and got crossways with all 3 of them because of his ego.

It's true that Gus was named OC and receivers coach when he was hired because Mitch didn't want him as QB coach. After Mitch announced that he was transferring, Gus tried to recruit him to Tulsa but he wouldn't go there and it's obvious why.

the world according to guv

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 12, 2017, 02:50:55 pm
If true that Gus was a reason 2 ADs at 2 different Universities got canned, why would any AD take a chance on him? Even if that isn't true, it seems there's a trust issue with Gus.

Gus has gotten ZERO AD's canned.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

26.2Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 02:15:24 pm

They would have gotten rid of Jacobs even if he and Malzahn had been best friends.

King Kong

NM misread your post

Hoggie17

If what has just been posted about Mitch is true, he was the root cause of the whole mess.  As it turned out he was not near as good as he thought he was. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 12, 2017, 03:28:45 pm
If what has just been posted about Mitch is true, he was the root cause of the whole mess.  As it turned out he was not near as good as he thought he was. 

No, it was Nutt.  A kid is gonna be a kid.

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 03:12:51 pm

Pretty sure he didn't hold out any olive branch for Dean Lee.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 12, 2017, 03:28:45 pm

This is the most messed up post I've seen in a while. Mustain was an 18 year old kid caught up in a power struggle between grown azz men.

Birminghog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2017, 01:43:54 pm
Say what you want but Gus was a BIG part of the reason why their AD was run off.

Guv, you may have info I haven't heard of, but it seems to me that if what you say is true, I would have heard something about it in the Bham media (Scarbinsky, etc.), and I've heard nothing like that. Granted, I don't exactly keep my ear to the ground for Aub dirt.

When the FBI thing came out, however, Jacobs was toast pretty quickly.

Birminghog

Quote from: Birminghog on November 12, 2017, 11:30:38 am
I have evolved to a neutral position vis-a-vis Gus. Just for the discussion, I would like to pose a few questions:

1. Is there lingering antipathy between JL & Gus?
2. If so, is Gus hedging his bet under the possibility that Auburn might hire JL as their AD? (Not saying they will, just a questions).
3. If there is lingering antipathy, and if PRJ is correct, does that accelerate the departure of JL? (Again, I am in a neutral position. I don't have a strong opinion on JL).
4. Could this be part of a more grandiose scheme?

Anyone care to answer? They are honest questions. No agenda attached.

ur

November 12, 2017, 06:06:15 pm #224 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:21:38 pm by ur
Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 01:00:39 pm
It's the cost of his assistants contracts, if they don't move on with him, or aren't chosen by the new Auburn HC, so you ever look anything up before you post?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/gus_malzahns_buyout_rises_sign.html

That's a crazy contract. So if I'm reading that right and he brings everyone here, he doesn't owe them a dime? What a deal! He would only owe for assistant coaches not coming with him. Here are the assist coaches.
http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/m-footbl-coaches.html

okrazorback

Quote from: Hawginj on November 11, 2017, 09:25:17 pm
I would point out this is one of the few chances we are going to get to catch lightning in a bottle and turn this thing around, but if you want another retread coach thats only using us for the$$$ and lesser expectations then go right ahead and keep tooting the Gus horn!

I don't think so . We are not going to pay him more than Auburn does.

Hawginj

Quote from: okrazorback on November 12, 2017, 07:05:28 pm
I don't think so . We are not going to pay him more than Auburn does.
sure we will and he'll have a lot more job security all hes got to do is win 6to7 games most years and once in a blue moon 9 and he'll get a statue.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 04:02:11 pm
Pretty sure he didn't hold out any olive branch for Dean Lee.

That's not the same as getting someone fired, though.

Pork Twain

Never take anything Guv states as fact.  My motto with him and a few others is never trust and always verify.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clutch

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 12, 2017, 01:48:16 pm
The criticism of Gus leaving ASU is stupid.  So what he said he wanted to make them like Boise and left after a season?  Any other state hang onto introductory press conference hyperbole as much as Arkansas?  He left a Sun Belt program for one of college football's top 10-15 jobs.  You ASU people who believed he was staying were naive and stupid. 

I think most of the criticism from that came from a press conference he did the day before he took the Auburn job, where he repeated the same thing and said he wasn't going anywhere.

clutch

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 03:12:51 pm

He played a big part in Dean Lee getting canned for sure.

COACHINTEXAS

Not in my top 10; would be awful!!
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 11, 2017, 08:32:31 pm
I love that but how do people know this stuff?
Don't go around telling nobody this, but word on the street says if Coach N is offered the job at Arkansas  he gone
I love off season Football!!

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 10:11:42 pm
That's not the same as getting someone fired, though.

Well, I heard it was more like Brutus, that he wanted his "people" in there.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ricepig on November 14, 2017, 08:02:21 am
Well, I heard it was more like Brutus, that he wanted his "people" in there.

The wishes of the HC will be ignored if the AD is doing a decent job.  If the powers that be want him out they will get him out and find an excuse.

Nick Saban may yield that kind of power but Gus?  No way.

Hawginj

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 08:08:25 am
The wishes of the HC will be ignored if the AD is doing a decent job.  If the powers that be want him out they will get him out and find an excuse.

Nick Saban may yield that kind of power but Gus?  No way.
Don't sell ole Gus so short lots of stories/ rumors about how slick/ shady he is.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 08:12:12 am
Don't sell ole Gus so short lots of stories/ rumors about how slick/ shady he is.

I don't know Gus, but I know Kristi...I'm gonna cut Gus some slack!

Hawginj

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 08:14:15 am
I don't know Gus, but I know Kristi...I'm gonna cut Gus some slack!
🤣🤣that bad huh?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 08:19:38 am
🤣🤣that bad huh?

Lol, it's been years since I spoke with her; we moved and lost touch.  She's painted a lot worse in the public than she is (was?).  Actually I found her very entertaining and likable.  And blunt, but so what...

Hawginj

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 08:30:38 am
Lol, it's been years since I spoke with her; we moved and lost touch.  She's painted a lot worse in the public than she is (was?).  Actually I found her very entertaining and likable.  And blunt, but so what...
Most people in the public eye are painted that way.

Potosihog

I don't believe for a minute that Gus is going to leave Auburn and come here.  I do think he may have been creating a backup plan a few weeks ago when his season wasn't looking as good. 

My biggest fear is with all the NCAA/FBI stuff going on at Auburn he may feel like it is time to get out of dodge before he gets nailed with a cheating scandal.  If he comes here and then the scandal breaks it could destroy our program although we didn't get any benefit of the cheating.

Gus can coach.  If we could get him we would probably be wise to try.  But as my daddy used to say "if it seems too good to be true......"

I don't believe for a minute that he was unaware or lily white in all the Cam Newton stuff.