Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike’s recruiting

Started by rolyat_2008, March 20, 2018, 02:08:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

I don't understand the hate for this incoming class.

Embrey and Joe got game. They will be double figure scorers in their careers. I love Chaney's game. Phillips and Henderson have more potential than the first 3 I mentioned who I consider the 3 best players we signed.

Sills on the ball defense is something our style of defense needs and hasn't had since Gulley graduated.

This is kind of class that can have 3 straight successful tournament runs. Especially, if a Khalil Garland is available with the same number of years of Eligibility.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: pigroots on March 20, 2018, 09:24:15 am
Honestly great recruiters are those who can recruit across borders. For the most part these guys are homegrown and you would expect if we are a pretty good program that we would get these guys. I'm glad we have them but for the most part it's the top 25 to top 50 guys that are the difference makers in a program. These guys we have should be great 2nd and 3rd options. History shows it's guys like Corliss,Joe Johnson, Derek Hood, and the like that carried the load and opened up the game for others. We need Gafford to stay next year in the worst kind of way.( And really think it would help him develop and get stronger to do so)...next year he's a high lottery pick most likely while this year I'm guessing late first round.

Half the class is from out of state with no previous ties to the program

wikipedia brown

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2018, 10:30:47 pm
Don't go muddying the water with facts!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: King Kong on March 20, 2018, 10:24:30 pm

Embrey and Joe got game. They will be double figure scorers in their careers. I love Chaney's game. Phillips and Henderson have more potential than the first 3 I mentioned who I consider the 3 best players we signed.

Sills on the ball defense is something our style of defense needs and hasn't had since Gulley graduated.

This is kind of class that can have 3 straight successful tournament runs. Especially, if a Khalil Garland is available with the same number of years of Eligibility.

They're too angry that we didn't beat Butler to admit that we have some talent coming in. It's not Kentucky talent but it's by far the best class Mike has signed across the board. There is more potential in the young talent coming in than has been on campus in MA's tenure.

HawgHeadCheese

Embrey and Joe got game. They will be double figure scorers in their careers. I love Chaney's game. Phillips and Henderson have more potential than the firmentioned who I consider the 3 best players we signed.

Some people don't look any deeper than the rankings. This is a helluva class that will be here 4 years barring any injuries or transfers.

King Kong

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 10:39:48 pm
They're too angry that we didn't beat Butler to admit that we have some talent coming in. It's not Kentucky talent but it's by far the best class Mike has signed across the board. There is more potential in the young talent coming in than has been on campus in MA's tenure.

I'm still angry about the loss again.  But the potential nucleus is very promising.

I don't think Gafford will be back so we will need to have these guys be immediately impact from several of these kids or major improvement from return players to be were all want to be next season.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2018, 09:44:47 pm
Just shows what I already know and have been saying "the class ain't that good". If you sign 6 players and yet your class comes in 22nd in the nation and 6th in your conference, it ain't that good. That's damn near a half of a roster of players and yet it is not that highly ranked as a class.

If you look at the average rating for each teams class there's about 30 quality teams with average ratings between 91 and 93. 

steveaustin69

March 21, 2018, 05:15:45 am #57 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:28:27 am by steveaustin69
Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2018, 10:30:47 pm

And not one of them is a top 100 player; Mike's developed three quality players who were ranked outside of the top 100 as Freshman coming to Arkansas (one didn't finish his career at Arkansas) Jacorey Williams, Qualls, Anthlon Bell

Coincidence this equals the number of tournament appearances in seven years?

If you want to stretch this and include transfers we'll add Alandise Harris and Dusty Hannahs. So developing less than a man a year into a serious contributor when they aren't highly rated is supposed to give me confidence? These two also would have come to Arkansas no matter who the coach was; it wasn't some great coup by Mike to steal them away after they had productive Fr, So seasons.

GuvHog

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 10:39:48 pm

It's a good class of recruits but it's incomplete. There is no replacement for Gafford in the likely event that he leaves. That's the problem.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

fineswine

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2018, 07:23:34 am
It's a good class of recruits but it's incomplete. There is no replacement for Gafford in the likely event that he leaves. That's the problem.
Don't worry Guv. It will be a repeat of the Portis situation from the apologists, "we didn't know he was leaving". That should be good enough for the masses. After all, we have already had a media member come out and say that he expects him to return. Let the spin begin.

hobhog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 20, 2018, 10:40:18 pm
Some people don't look any deeper than the rankings. This is a helluva class that will be here 4 years barring any injuries or transfers.

So we have to wait for MA to "develop" these guys?

King Kong

Quote from: hobhog on March 21, 2018, 08:02:35 am
So we have to wait for MA to "develop" these guys?

If we go by the success stories. Clearly one could go the other way and point out the ones that didn't work out.

Players like Qualls, BP, Hannahs, Macon, Barford and Durham took about a year.

Madden and Kingsley 2.

steveaustin69

Quote from: King Kong on March 21, 2018, 08:10:22 am
If we go by the success stories. Clearly one could go the other way and point out the ones that didn't work out.

Players like Qualls, BP, Hannahs, Macon, Barford and Durham took about a year.

Madden and Kingsley 2.

8 players in 7 years. Portis, Madden, Macon, Barford, Kinglsey all rated to be impact players coming in. Outstanding track record.

What if we go by the failures?

Atlhogfan1

I don't think it is hate for the class.  It is the situation.  Patience and trust has expired for some.  With nearly each class for years, there is hype with at least a player or two.  You can go back and read some really entertaining projections on past recruits.  Gabe was compared to Joe Johnson by one frequent poster.  This upcoming class certainly looks and sounds promising.  But I think some are just done believing without seeing it happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

I don't hate the class at all. What I hate is the probability of it being wasted because our style of play is so inconsistent and our coaching is less than average.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 05:15:45 am
And not one of them is a top 100 player; Mike's developed three quality players who were ranked outside of the top 100 as Freshman coming to Arkansas (one didn't finish his career at Arkansas) Jacorey Williams, Qualls, Anthlon Bell

Coincidence this equals the number of tournament appearances in seven years?

If you want to stretch this and include transfers we'll add Alandise Harris and Dusty Hannahs. So developing less than a man a year into a serious contributor when they aren't highly rated is supposed to give me confidence? These two also would have come to Arkansas no matter who the coach was; it wasn't some great coup by Mike to steal them away after they had productive Fr, So seasons.

You are being generous listing Williams and Bell.  Bell was a disappointment based on the role he was supposed to fill until his senior season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 21, 2018, 08:16:03 am
I don't think it is hate for the class.  It is the situation.  Patience and trust has expired for some.  With nearly each class for years, there is hype with at least a player or two.  You can go back and read some really entertaining projections on past recruits.  Gabe was compared to Joe Johnson by one frequent poster.  This upcoming class certainly looks and sounds promising.  But I think some are just done believing without seeing it happen.

Yep. Mike hasn't shown an ability to consistently develop non top 100 guys (i.e. not consensus elite talents). As such, it's a wait and see, and, in year 7, wait and see isn't acceptable.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 21, 2018, 08:21:31 am
You are being generous listing Williams and Bell.  Bell was a disappointment based on the role he was supposed to fill until his senior season.

I agree, and that just makes my point stronger. Trying to throw the apologists a bone.

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 08:13:20 am
8 players in 7 years. Portis, Madden, Macon, Barford, Kinglsey all rated to be impact players coming in. Outstanding track record.

What if we go by the failures?
Kong mentioned in his post that you could clearly look at the other side. You just like to stir things up too much.

Anderson is the coach. All of the crying about it gets old.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 08:23:31 am
Kong mentioned in his post that you could clearly look at the other side. You just like to stir things up too much.

Anderson is the coach. All of the crying about it gets old.

Do you have a retort?

Go elsewhere if you don't want to see "crying" on a message board when our coach is not good and we just got bounced. What do you expect?

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 08:43:33 am
Do you have a retort?

Go elsewhere if you don't want to see "crying" on a message board when our coach is not good and we just got bounced. What do you expect?
An original thought would be a nice change. Better than the same bitching over and over.

GuvHog

Quote from: fineswine on March 21, 2018, 07:48:29 am
Don't worry Guv. It will be a repeat of the Portis situation from the apologists, "we didn't know he was leaving". That should be good enough for the masses. After all, we have already had a media member come out and say that he expects him to return. Let the spin begin.

That's the point. He did the same exact thing the year Portis left. He didn't have a back up plan in case Portis left and got caught with his pants down when Portis opted for the draft. In desperation, he took a risk by recruiting a player who hadn't qualified and it fell through. As a result, the next season was a disaster.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 08:47:31 am
An original thought would be a nice change. Better than the same bitching over and over.

Buddy, all I've done is post readily available statistics and information pointing out Mike's flaws and shortcomings. I don't care that that upsets you or you don't agree with the facts smacking you upside the head.

hawg66

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2018, 08:50:19 am
That's the point. He did the same exact thing the year Portis left. He didn't have a back up plan in case Portis left and got caught with his pants down when Portis opted for the draft. In desperation, he took a risk by recruiting a player who hadn't qualified and it fell through. As a result, the next season was a disaster.
You really think not getting the problem child who no one has heard about since is why 2016 happened?  LOL

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 08:53:35 am
You really think not getting the problem child who no one has heard about since is why 2016 happened?  LOL

You're changing the subject. The point is there was no plan for sustained success without Bobby. Mike apologists always have to find a way to spin things.

We're 5th or 6th in recruiting rankings in the SEC this year depending on which site you use. Tennessee and Auburn are behind us, but return key pieces. Is the narrative next year going to be the SEC has gotten harder and we have to adjust our expectation for where Mike finishes?

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 08:53:18 am
Buddy, all I've done is post readily available statistics and information pointing out Mike's flaws and shortcomings. I don't care that that upsets you or you don't agree with the facts smacking you upside the head.
You don't know the difference between facts and opinion. You think your beliefs are facts.

If you don't like me defend the Hogs on a Hog fan board I don't care if that upsets you either. And you're not slapping people upside the head, you're beating your head against a wall.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 08:53:35 am

No, Mike didn't have a back up plan in case Portis left, got caught with his pants down when Portis did leave, and took a risk on a player who wasn't qualified. That risk shouldn't have happened and wouldn't have if Mike had put a back up plan in place. He then went too heavy into the JUCO ranks and here we are again with 6 Seniors departing and Gafford likely to opt for the Draft. It's called unbalanced recruiting. There should never be a year when the Hogs have 6 Seniors on the team.

Kevin

fact, anyone with a brain knew portis was gone January of that year.
to go around after he announced and put out there what a shock it was, just pure propaganda, or lie.

they had no plan.

this year, once gafford got comfortable and showed his athleticism, he was gone.

him leaving is great for the Anderson loyalist, cause it just helps them with the excuses next year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 08:56:02 am
You're changing the subject. The point is there was no plan for sustained success without Bobby. Mike apologists always have to find a way to spin things.

We're 5th or 6th in recruiting rankings in the SEC this year depending on which site you use. Tennessee and Auburn are behind us, but return key pieces. Is the narrative next year going to be the SEC has gotten harder and we have to adjust our expectation for where Mike finishes?
Now you're already bitching about next year. At least you've moved on.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:06:10 am
Now you're already bitching about next year. At least you've moved on.

Wanna bet?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:06:10 am
Now you’re already bitching about next year. At least you’ve moved on.

He should be complaining about next season. If Gafford does opt for the NBA Draft as many expect, next season won't be pretty.

hawg66

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2018, 09:03:06 am
No, Mike didn't have a back up plan in case Portis left, got caught with his pants down when Portis did leave, and took a risk on a player who wasn't qualified. That risk shouldn't have happened and wouldn't have if Mike had put a back up plan in place. He then went too heavy into the JUCO ranks and here we are again with 6 Seniors departing and Gafford likely to opt for the Draft. It's called unbalanced recruiting. There should never be a year when the Hogs have 6 Seniors on the team.
yeah, Anderson should never have recruited Macon and Barford. We'd have been a lot better off.

SMH

hawg66

The fact that Austin has Guv defending him makes me smile

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:00:27 am
You don't know the difference between facts and opinion. You think your beliefs are facts.

If you don't like me defend the Hogs on a Hog fan board I don't care if that upsets you either. And you're not slapping people upside the head, you're beating your head against a wall.

Fact: no one in next year's class not from AR is rated higher than 100
Fact: Mike recruits outside of top 100 to average 20 minutes a game in a season: Qualls, Anton, Manny Watkins, Anthlon

Developed one fringe NBA (very good) talent in seven years. If you think Anton and Manny Watkins were good and program changing players like this class is currently being pumped up to be then I'll have to disagree. That one is my opinion. The above is not.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:11:12 am
yeah, Anderson should never have recruited Macon and Barford. We’d have been a lot better off.

SMH

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, Mike's unbalanced recruiting has put the program in a bad situation for next season.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:12:49 am
The fact that Austin has Guv defending him makes me smile

I'm making my own separate points. Austin can defend himself.

For the record, I've been talking about Mike's unbalanced recruiting since Portis left.

UNCLE BACK

Every Kid coming in plays above the Rim, that is intriguing to me considering we had so many guys that did not on this years team. Mike Anderson teams normally do not struggle to score so can they be 5pts better a game on defense? Can they defend the 3 better? Can they get out in transition and score more buckets? If so, this team with or without Gafford can be pretty good and then maybe real good the following year.

GuvHog

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on March 21, 2018, 09:20:29 am
Every Kid coming in plays above the Rim, that is intriguing to me considering we had so many guys that did not on this years team. Mike Anderson teams normally do not struggle to score so can they be 5pts better a game on defense? Can they defend the 3 better? Can they get out in transition and score more buckets? If so, this team with or without Gafford can be pretty good and then maybe real good the following year.

I'll agree that the 2019-2020 season can be good if Mike is able to sign a couple of big men next year but if Gafford leaves, the 2018-2019 season isn't looking good.

hawg66

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2018, 09:15:11 am
Whether you are willing to admit it or not, Mike's unbalanced recruiting has put the program in a bad situation for next season.
whether anyone admits it or not has nothing to do with anything. Anderson had holes in his roster and filled them with really good players. He couldn't go back and redo his previous classes. Instead of complaining I choose to acknowledge that he found a way to plug the holes and brought in kids who helped Arkansas get to the tourney in back to back years. For the first time in a long time. You guys can't accept that. It doesn't fit your narrative and it hurts your feelings when others point it out.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:37:51 am
whether anyone admits it or not has nothing to do with anything. Anderson had holes in his roster and filled them with really good players. He couldn’t go back and redo his previous classes. Instead of complaining I choose to acknowledge that he found a way to plug the holes and brought in kids who helped Arkansas get to the tourney in back to back years. For the first time in a long time. You guys can’t accept that. It doesn’t fit your narrative and it hurts your feelings when others point it out.

The problem is he plugged the holes the wrong way and as a result, next season isn't looking good.

Kevin

funny when we hired him, a Missouri fan told us Anderson does not know how to build a roster. looks like that has come true, multiple times at arkansas
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:37:51 am
whether anyone admits it or not has nothing to do with anything. Anderson had holes in his roster and filled them with really good players. He couldn't go back and redo his previous classes. Instead of complaining I choose to acknowledge that he found a way to plug the holes and brought in kids who helped Arkansas get to the tourney in back to back years. For the first time in a long time. You guys can't accept that. It doesn't fit your narrative and it hurts your feelings when others point it out.

Heath went to back to back tourneys.

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 21, 2018, 09:42:40 am
funny when we hired him, a Missouri fan told us Anderson does not know how to build a roster. looks like that has come true, multiple times at arkansas

Exactly. A good head coach maintains a balanced roster every year where no more than 3 or 4 players leave the team every year (unless a coach lives and dies with a team full of one and done players). This is the second time that Mike has lost as many as 6 players in one year. That isn't good.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 21, 2018, 09:43:18 am

Yep, and left Pelphrey with a program that was a total mess.

hawg66

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2018, 09:42:28 am
The problem is he plugged the holes the wrong way and as a result, next season isn't looking good.
or, he plugged them very nicely with jucos. That's what jucos are. This year with a full pocket of scholarships he went out and recruited four year players. Again, he can't undo the past. Even you acknowledged that this class can be successful going forward.

hawg66

as I said. A long time ago.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on March 21, 2018, 09:51:58 am
or, he plugged them very nicely with jucos. That’s what jucos are. This year with a full pocket of scholarships he went out and recruited four year players. Again, he can’t undo the past. Even you acknowledged that this class can be successful going forward.

They can be successful if Mike adds a couple of Big men for the 2019-2020 season but without Gafford, the 2018-2019 season isn't looking good. That should never happen.

HognotinMemphis

This class may be his best or 2nd best based on a combination of numbers signed and talent level. What is wrong with this picture is that Mike screwed up his recruiting and had to sign 6 freshmen this year while losing 6 seniors and likely a freshman, Gafford.

While this class is decent, it does not appear to be a group that will vault Arkansas to the next level. Tallest guy is 6'8". So no post help. No college experience for these guys since they will be true freshmen, which means a huge learning curve and a bad season. 6 or 7 wins in SEC will be a good year. But probably not good enough for Mike to keep his job. I imagine at least 2 of these 6 will not make it 4 years at Arkansas anyway due to either grades or playing time. That is just the attrition rate.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

daprospecta

He did but I remember both. Was on the hill and friends with many of the players.  We were not in the tourney unless we made it to the semi's in the SEC tourney both years.  We have been in the tourney by regular seasons end 3 of the last 4 years. 

daprospecta

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 21, 2018, 09:57:24 am
This class may be his best or 2nd best based on a combination of numbers signed and talent level. What is wrong with this picture is that Mike screwed up his recruiting and had to sign 6 freshmen this year while losing 6 seniors and likely a freshman, Gafford.

While this class is decent, it does not appear to be a group that will vault Arkansas to the next level. Tallest guy is 6'8". So no post help. No college experience for these guys since they will be true freshmen, which means a huge learning curve and a bad season. 6 or 7 wins in SEC will be a good year. But probably not good enough for Mike to keep his job. I imagine at least 2 of these 6 will not make it 4 years at Arkansas anyway due to either grades or playing time. That is just the attrition rate.
This is cbb. Players transfer, go to the NBA, can't get medically cleared etc.  Every year Duke may have one or two core guys but the rest are usually young. Along with most successful programs.