Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs' defense has 12 sacks for the season, tied for second least in NCAA

Started by KennyForAD, November 08, 2017, 10:18:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

One less and we'd be tied for dead last with ... Coastal Carolina.   Hogs are 98th in Defensive Effeciency, 94th in Rushing Defense, etc. etc.

We don't have the absolute worst Defense in the NCAA, but its getting really close.

Why has Paul Rhoades not been fired for gross incompetence?

Tusks

Look at what Grantham has done for MSU and that's what a successful DC hire looks like.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cdhogfan

I hate the bend don't break style of defense we play.  Especially considering we are bending and breaking.

Boarcephus

Doesn't make any difference who the DC is, Bielema has his handprints all over it and won't allow them to do what they want to do.  Bielema is coaching scared on defense and that's not good for any football team. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

KennyForAD

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 10:19:10 am

Look at what Grantham has done for MSU and that's what a successful DC hire looks like.

Look at what Rhoades has done for Arkansas and that's what a PLANE CRASH looks like.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:18:06 am
One less and we'd be tied for dead last with ... Coastal Carolina.   Hogs are 98th in Defensive Effeciency, 94th in Rushing Defense, etc. etc.

We don't have the absolute worst Defense in the NCAA, but its getting really close.

I wonder how much of this has to do with lack of talent in our front 7 or just lack of blitzes? I haven't dug into the numbers at all, but just from watching this team this year it seems like we bring very little pressure. 

I was excited about the switch to the 3-4 because I thought it would give us the opportunity to bring pressure from a bunch of different areas, when in reality PR just refuses to blitz any LBs at all.  We've moved to a 3 man rush

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: cdhogfan on November 08, 2017, 10:21:33 am
I hate the bend don't break style of defense we play.  Especially considering we are bending and breaking.

This.

hogsanity

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:22:00 am
I wonder how much of this has to do with lack of talent in our front 7 or just lack of blitzes? I haven't dug into the numbers at all, but just from watching this team this year it seems like we bring very little pressure. 

I was excited about the switch to the 3-4 because I thought it would give us the opportunity to bring pressure from a bunch of different areas, when in reality PR just refuses to blitz any LBs at all.  We've moved to a 3 man rush

I think the lack of talent is actually in the back 8.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

theFlyingHog

We're way too conservative in all facets of the game. Especially being 4-5 right now. Might as well let it all hang out and see what the horses can do.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:23:18 am
I think the lack of talent is actually in the back 8.

But do you think it's a talent issue or just an issue of the coaches not putting the backers in a position to succeed? Or is our secondary so bad that opposing QBs can get  the ball out quickly before our rushers can get there?

Combination of everything?

Kevin

scared to get beat, will get you beat.

I was really hoping this 3-4 scheme was going to lead to more people coming on blitzes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KennyForAD

We average 98th in all statistics.   Special Teams, Offense, and Defense.   Pretty clear its a coaching problem.   We can't even coach an All-American KICKER. 

This is the worst coaching staff in history.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Last season the linebackers were the weakest part of our weak as a whole defense. How do the coaches "remedy" that? By switching to a defensive scheme that alienates our defensive linemen, forces the most inexperienced to make most of the plays in run defense, and spread our entire defense out. This is a permanent prevent defense
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:25:32 am
But do you think it's a talent issue or just an issue of the coaches not putting the backers in a position to succeed? Or is our secondary so bad that opposing QBs can get  the ball out quickly before our rushers can get there?

Probably some of each, but they are undersized and slow when compared to most SEC lb's and safeties.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Kevin on November 08, 2017, 10:25:50 am
scared to get beat, will get you beat.

I was really hoping this 3-4 scheme was going to lead to more people coming on blitzes

I was hoping the same.  Isn't that what these coaches and the media told us every day in the offseason?

KennyForAD

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:25:32 am

Worst coaching staff in all of football.

jkstock04

Look at our D-line...they don't pass rush. Look at the way Agim lines up in that weak ass 4 point stance 2-3 yards off the ball. It's beyond awful.

Laughable thinking back to the promotion of Paul Rhoads and how everyone thought it was going to be awesome. Just a "genius" move by Bielema. Truth be told there probably weren't many candidates who wanted the job on a sinking ship.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:27:22 am
Worst coaching staff in all of football.

I think it all starts at the top.  I really thought PR would be successful, but I think BB is tying his hands behind his back

jkstock04

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:29:21 am
I think it all starts at the top.  I really thought PR would be successful, but I think BB is tying his hands behind his back
Wouldn't surprise me. I thought the same about Robb Smith.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 10:27:46 am
Look at our D-line...they don't pass rush. Look at the way Agim lines up in that weak ass 4 point stance 2-3 yards off the ball. It's beyond awful.

Laughable thinking back to the promotion of Paul Rhoads and how everyone thought it was going to be awesome. Just a "genius" move by Bielema. Truth be told there probably weren't many candidates who wanted the job on a sinking ship.

Agim has been a huge bust so far.  Hopefully it's coaching and not his actual talent.  I'd love to see him be successful under the next coach.

KennyForAD

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 10:30:57 am
Wouldn't surprise me. I thought the same about Robb Smith.

Look at what Jim Chaney did at Tennessee and is doing at Georgia.. That's enough proof for me to think that BB holds his assistants back. (And why they all leave him)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The selling point of the 3-4 (or at least what bielema sold us during the offseason) is having 3 defensive linemen that occupy the opposing offensive line, freeing up linebackers and allow them to make plays. Problem is we don't send any linebackers, we don't blitz. Were asking 3 linemen to handle a 5 man front, get pressure on the qb, AND stop the run? Meanwhile we have linebackers covering receivers much faster than them. Bielema has put the defensive players in a no win situation and I feel sorry for them
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jkstock04

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:31:08 am
Agim has been a huge bust so far.  Hopefully it's coaching and not his actual talent.  I'd love to see him be successful under the next coach.
That stance he gets in isn't even a split stance...I call it a frog stance. It's the worst looking thing I've ever seen a d-lineman do. You aren't going to get a pass rush doing that. Especially 2 yards or so off the ball. lol I just don't get what we are supposed to be doing, especially at his position.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KennyForAD

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:32:54 am
Look at what Jim Chaney did at Tennessee and is doing at Georgia.. That's enough proof for me to think that BB holds his assistants back. (And why they all leave him)

No doubt whatsoever.

KennyForAD

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 10:34:08 am
That stance he gets in isn't even a split stance...I call it a frog stance. It's the worst looking thing I've ever seen a d-lineman do. You aren't going to get a pass rush doing that. Especially 2 yards or so off the ball. lol I just don't get what we are supposed to be doing, especially at his position.

If we had an AD who knew anything about football, he would have known to fire BB in the SPRING..

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 08, 2017, 10:33:35 am
The selling point of the 3-4 (or at least what bielema sold us during the offseason) is having 3 defensive linemen that occupy the opposing offensive line, freeing up linebackers and allow them to make plays. Problem is we don't send any linebackers, we don't blitz. Were asking 3 linemen to handle a 5 man front, get pressure on the qb, AND stop the run? Meanwhile we have linebackers covering receivers much faster than them. Bielema has put the defensive players in a no win situation and I feel sorry for them

Exactly. The fans and they players were lied to and the players are being put in a position to fail

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Pass rushing isn't their assignment in the 3-4. They occupy offensive linemen so that linebackers can make plays. Unfortunately, we don't blitz so those line backers don't come until its too late

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:35:38 am
If we had an AD who knew anything about football, he would have known to fire BB in the SPRING..

JL is a business man --and a good one.  He's done great things for the athletic department from a $ perspective.  He does not know football, though.  We need to move him to a more administrative role and put someone else in charge of the day to day athletic part of the "athletic" department

Razorfox

Does anyone want to go back and research what Wisconsin's defenses were like under CBB?  And also what Rhoade's defenses were like in his previous stops?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Everyone on the DL does it, backups too. Its clearly something they've been coached to do by the new DL coach or new DC.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 08, 2017, 10:36:28 am
Pass rushing isn't their assignment in the 3-4. They occupy offensive linemen so that linebackers can make plays. Unfortunately, we don't blitz so those line backers don't come until its too late

It's almost like our coaches don't know what they're doing, which is unfathomable considering BB played defense and started as a defensive coach!

Wardhog85

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 10:34:08 am
Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed that b.s. It's not just Agim though, it's the entire d-line. Hell, Bijohn Jackson lines up nearly 3 yards off the ball. 90% of the time we aren't even trying to penetrate, we're just standing up and catching blocks.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:37:33 am
JL is a business man --and a good one.  He's done great things for the athletic department from a $ perspective.  He does not know football, though.  We need to move him to a more administrative role and put someone else in charge of the day to day athletic part of the "athletic" department
Tommy Tuberville

jkstock04

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 08, 2017, 10:36:28 am
I do understand this logic. Going into the season I was liking what I was hearing about what our scheme was going to be, two key words were fast and aggressive. I think it's the complete opposite. The D line basically just stands there (like you say) and so do the linebackers lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KennyForAD

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:37:33 am

Except he's on the verge of having COMPLETELY empty stadiums.  LMAO.   The reason he will be fired by the end of football season is that he has jeopardized the biggest source of revenue, football.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Takes time to build a 3-4 especially with our recruiting base.  Must have the OLBs who can pass rush and be strong against the run. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog-Corleone

Hard to get sacks when you play a 3-4 defense, and literally rush 3 every play...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorfox on November 08, 2017, 10:37:59 am
Does anyone want to go back and research what Wisconsin's defenses were like under CBB?  And also what Rhoade's defenses were like in his previous stops?

They ranked anywhere from a low of 38th in total defense to a high of 15th in total defense at Wisc from 07-2012. Could not find data for 2006 but I am guessing it was in the 30's.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Wardhog85 on November 08, 2017, 10:39:36 am

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed that b.s. It's not just Agim though, it's the entire d-line. Hell, Bijohn Jackson lines up nearly 3 yards off the ball. 90% of the time we aren't even trying to penetrate, we're just standing up and catching blocks.
Exactly. Its that qb contain crap, and it never works for any team that does it. I kind of feel sorry for the guys when people are ragging on them for not getting any pressure on the qb. They are clearly doing exactly what theyre told

KennyForAD

Quote from: JeffysShrimpDick on November 08, 2017, 10:41:14 am
Worst Offensive and Defensive line I have ever seen.

Haven't looked lately, but no long ago, our O line was dead last in almost every catagory.   Pass protection, Power rushing... dead last.

Atlhogfan1

DC at Arkansas is a bad job no matter the head coach's situation. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 10:44:35 am
DC at Arkansas is a bad job no matter the head coach's situation. 

Then how did Rob Smith have a GREAT defense his first year?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:46:34 am
Then how did Rob Smith have a GREAT defense his first year?

He didn't.  We had some good personnel and played a number of teams with poor or injured qbs.  Our defensive success has relied on poor qb play from opponents.   

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 08, 2017, 10:47:53 am
The problem starts at the top.  If Bert wanted a aggressive defense with plenty of blitzing then we would have it.  I'm not defending Rhoades but I do believe he is Handcuffed in some ways by his boss.

I'd really like to know what his defenses at Iowa St looked like, I can't remember.  But you are right.  If Bielema wanted to blitz we'd be blitzing.

jkstock04

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 08, 2017, 10:42:57 am
Exactly. Its that qb contain crap, and it never works for any team that does it. I kind of feel sorry for the guys when people are ragging on them for not getting any pressure on the qb. They are clearly doing exactly what theyre told
I do agree with you...a lot of it is they are just doing what they are told to do. Gotta be frustrating.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:49:54 am
I'd really like to know what his defenses at Iowa St looked like, I can't remember.  But you are right.  If Bielema wanted to blitz we'd be blitzing.

Rhoads switched to the 3-4 his last season to try and defend B12 spread offenses better.  Similar to why we switched.  It failed there early. It isn't a one season switch most places. 

KennyForAD

THE ANSWER:   Why has Rhoads not been fired?   Because Rhoads is a GOOD coach, he just isn't allowed to do what he wants.  BB is making all the calls, and BB doesn't know his ass from a meteor crater.