Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Death of the season ticket

Started by Karma, August 16, 2017, 11:51:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Good article about the decline of the season ticket. It's written from a pro sports perspective, but still applies to college sports and the Hogs. I gave up my season tickets a few years back because I only want to attend about 2 games a year. Only one time have I wanted to go to a hog game and couldn't find a ticket (LSU in LR).

The article doesn't talk about the certain advantages to watching from home.

Those of you that have season tickets, I salute you and ask: what is the advantage you see in doing it?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/16/16147716/season-tickets-end-secondary-sellers

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on August 16, 2017, 11:51:36 am
Good article about the decline of the season ticket. It's written from a pro sports perspective, but still applies to college sports and the Hogs. I gave up my season tickets a few years back because I only want to attend about 2 games a year. Only one time have I wanted to go to a hog game and couldn't find a ticket (LSU in LR).

Those of you that have season tickets, I salute you and ask: what is the advantage you see in doing it?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/16/16147716/season-tickets-end-secondary-sellers

Knowing you have tickets and exactly where your seats are, knowing your cost upfront, not getting shut out of a ticket, supporting my university, need more?

HogtoberFest

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 11:57:07 am
Knowing you have tickets and exactly where your seats are, knowing your cost upfront, not getting shut out of a ticket, supporting my university, need more?

Agree 100%. It's a tradition. We have the same tickets and tailgate spot every year with our group of 6. Without season tickets this isn't possible.

I'm not questioning whether one should. It's personal preference. I'm just curious to know the allure for those that keep them. All of your reasons make sense.

phadedhawg

I wish I still lived in Arkansas where I had the option of season tickets.  Very thankful I get to watch all the games on TV though.

parallaxpig

All the above that was mentioned plus there is nothing to compare to seeing a great game live vs TV.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Inhogswetrust

Also MUCH more fun to be able to socialize with old friends, see the whole field all the time and other stuff happening maybe not even on the field than sitting in a chair at home. Just like any event there are plusses and minuses to going. For me the plusses outweigh the minuses.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I'd bet you eat out sometimes instead of eating all your meals at home even though it's cheaper and more convenient to stay home and eat.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Perfect response.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Pharm

I love my seats and there would be games it wouldn't be possible to get those seats or I would have to pay double. Plus I like supporting the program.

Bigmac2

Most important thing in bold. I don't make it to all the games however if I can't sell the tickets I then I give them away. I could stay home and save the $1200 bucks I spend on 2 hotel rooms, meals and gas for the weekend but I will take the atmosphere, a chance to see friends and experience it with family and that one chance I can say I was there when we beat X. Of course after every loss maybe I should of stayed home and had someone kick me in balls. That is short lived though thinking of the time building up the memories of Razorback football with my kids and grandkids.

Hogs-n-Roses

Mine had nothing to do with location of seats ,or keeping that location. I could always get better seats searching outfront of the stadium and far far cheaper.So it had nothing to do with money. It was the feeling I got in Saturday mornings(or Friday if I went up the day before or to a road game). A feeling there prolly ain't a name for. The putting of the flags/magnets/shoe polish.... on the vehicle. Putting on my Plaid(hog red n white) shorts,favorite Hog T (short or long sleeve). Decking out my children/grand children . When they were young Hog cheerleader outfits. Which are worn till they say,Dad I'm too old for that cheerleader outfit at which time we go and outfit them (in the nam) with new hog gear from T's n shorts to sweats to the (bookstore's outrageous priced) sweaters n other gear.(All the old cheer gear is stored grandkids)

Its then going first thru town with decked family n vehicle then getting on that interstate n getting in a long, long line of folks driving the long trek in similar vehicles, flags a waving,horn's a honkin folks a waving and we ain't to Perryville,started in Lonoke. Then the stretch u[p the hill n thru the tunnel, and of course after the tunnel n your directly in Gods country.Pure as the dawn......Well actually we were comin up another stretch(pig trail) when singin that one.

Lets step back in time, Its writing in shoepolish on every window cept one. And after the game writing poetry on that one lonely window" Tic-tac-toe that's 3 in a row as you left Waco,College station,Dallas, Austin.....I will not even bring the tailgating issue up 8)

It was never about our record either or whether at home or away. I have sat in Knoxville when we had 5 TD's scored on us in the first qtr. n knew it was comin. Sat in several "Tiger stadiums" going into the game 2-4,3-6, 4-4..... All these things were material. It was always a from birth heart condition called Being a Hog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bigmac2 on August 16, 2017, 12:47:49 pm
Most important thing in bold. I don't make it to all the games however if I can't sell the tickets I then I give them away. I could stay home and save the $1200 bucks I spend on 2 hotel rooms, meals and gas for the weekend but I will take the atmosphere, a chance to see friends and experience it with family and that one chance I can say I was there when we beat X. Of course after every loss maybe I should of stayed home and had someone kick me in balls. That is short lived though thinking of the time building up the memories of Razorback football with my kids and grandkids.

Very well said. Especially about the memories. One one my greatest memories of my Dad was when we beat tejas when I was a student at the UA and my family came up for the game. I never will forget us celebrating that victory together on Dickson St.

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 16, 2017, 12:30:52 pm
I'd bet you eat out sometimes instead of eating all your meals at home even though it's cheaper and more convenient to stay home and eat.
Did you read the article? Because your response has nothing to do with the point of the article.

It's not about do you attend games in person. The point is that season tickets are no longer the vehicle people chose. They find it more preferable to buy single game tickets for less money than the season ticket.

hawgon

Everything is about cost.  Even the people in this thread speaking of their virtues have a point where they either can't or won't want to afford seasson tickets.  For some people that price point is higher than it is for others, but it is there. 

So, the point is simply that season tickets and all that goes with them have become a pretty costly proposition these days and only appear to be getting more expensive.  As such, more and more people are reaching their limits.  And as they do, more single game tickets become available making it easier and easier to pick and choose games, and thus, continually reducing the utility of the season ticket package. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on August 16, 2017, 01:18:54 pm
Everything is about cost.  Even the people in this thread speaking of their virtues have a point where they either can't or won't want to afford seasson tickets.  For some people that price point is higher than it is for others, but it is there. 

So, the point is simply that season tickets and all that goes with them have become a pretty costly proposition these days and only appear to be getting more expensive.  As such, more and more people are reaching their limits.  And as they do, more single game tickets become available making it easier and easier to pick and choose games, and thus, continually reducing the utility of the season ticket package. 

nothing will lead to the demise of season tickets like the trend of fewer young people watching sports like the past few have. My son is a college FR and neither he nor his friends watch much if any college football or football in general and many do not go to games even though their parents have season tickets. They just do not care to spend that much time to go to a game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbkman

I have bought single game tickets outside the stadium for the past 28 seasons and have always been able to find many different ones to select from. I have never paid more than face value and only paid face value a total of 3 times. I have been handed free tickets for many games. I like the freedom of not having to deal with season tickets. The only game I ever had trouble finding tickets was the opening game of 2007 vs Troy. All the fans were excited to see McFadden coming off his Heisman runner up finish. If the tickets are being offered at bargain prices, I have no problem with me and my family helping to fill the seats and saving money at the same time.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:35:17 pm
nothing will lead to the demise of season tickets like the trend of fewer young people watching sports like the past few have. My son is a college FR and neither he nor his friends watch much if any college football or football in general and many do not go to games even though their parents have season tickets. They just do not care to spend that much time to go to a game.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get season tickets any time soon. I still give to the RF though, gotta build up them lifetime donations so when I do actually get to move home, I'll get some reasonable seats, hope hope hope.

I guess I'm officially the latest BootHog. Wife and I have decided to stand-fast in Louisiana for the next few years.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 16, 2017, 01:37:04 pm
I have bought single game tickets outside the stadium for the past 28 seasons and have always been able to find many different ones to select from. I have never paid more than face value and only paid face value a total of 3 times. I have been handed free tickets for many games. I like the freedom of not having to deal with season tickets. The only game I ever had trouble finding tickets was the opening game of 2007 vs Troy. All the fans were excited to see McFadden coming off his Heisman runner up finish. If the tickets are being offered at bargain prices, I have no problem with me and my family helping to fill the seats and saving money at the same time.

the ones that get me are the season ticket holders that go to one game and then do not try hard or at all to make sure their seats are filled.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 16, 2017, 01:37:04 pm

Freedom of not having to deal with season tickets? I could understand the freedom from not having to pay for them, but it isn't a big deal to order them or get them from the mailbox. Everyone has their priorities, I'd rather tailgate, than be going around searching for tickets, just my choice. I appreciate everyone that shows up and attends, no matter how they got their tickets, it's always an experience I cherish.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:39:20 pm
the ones that get me are the season ticket holders that go to one game and then do not try hard or at all to make sure their seats are filled.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. I always find someone to take mine, and like the TCU game, I'll need a couple extra for guests.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:39:20 pm

That's part of the hassle people avid by not buying them in the first place.

hawganatic

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 01:43:55 pm
Freedom of not having to deal with season tickets?

Think maybe what he means is bieng able to pick and choose which games he pays for.

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on August 16, 2017, 01:52:14 pm
Think maybe what he means is bieng able to pick and choose which games he pays for.

Must be a cord cutter.......I understand fully, I pick and choose what Grizzly games I go to, although a company a have a small interest in has a suite.

hawganatic

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 01:54:41 pm
Must be a cord cutter.......I understand fully, I pick and choose what Grizzly games I go to, although a company a have a small interest in has a suite.

Actually just became a cord cutter.  Just got back to the house from taking my Uverse equipment to the UPS store to send back...

A few years ago I was pretty hell bent on buying season tickets and was waiting for my weekend schedule to clear up so it would be worth the money I was going to drop on donation and tickets.  Now that my weekend schedule is has cleared up, I just don't have the desire to make that trip for every game.

I pick and choose which games I really want to be there for.  The rest I watch on TV (usually at a bar) so I can drink beer, have instant replay, and be back home right after the game.

lstewart

I agree attendance will probably continue to drop with every game being on TV, and the quality of large HD TV's.  For Hog football, I plan to go to every home game, so ordering season tickets just makes sense. Yes, you could probably go out before each game and buy some at the stadium. But I have 4, and chances are it would be tough to buy 4 together. To me any cost savings from not ordering the package from the university is more than offset by the hassle of needing to get there and try to find tickets, as well as the possibility that you would not be able to get them for what might end up being the best game of the year. The article seemed to be focused on someone who could not go to a lot of the games they bought, which is a completely different situation. If I was only going to half the games or less, I would not order season tickets. Hog basketball may be a better example, since there are so many home games. We had season tickets for 15 plus years, but it got to be a hassle to try to make it to so many games when we had a son playing high school basketball. So we dropped them for a few years, since we did not want to go to that many games. Now that my son is in college, we picked the season tickets back up. Hog baseball is a good example for me. I like going to the games, but don't want to go to all of them. So I don't order season tickets, but buy them for just the games I want to go to.

ricepig

Quote from: lstewart on August 16, 2017, 02:53:42 pm
I agree attendance will probably continue to drop with every game being on TV, and the quality of large HD TV's.  For Hog football, I plan to go to every home game, so ordering season tickets just makes sense. Yes, you could probably go out before each game and buy some at the stadium. But I have 4, and chances are it would be tough to buy 4 together. To me any cost savings from not ordering the package from the university is more than offset by the hassle of needing to get there and try to find tickets, as well as the possibility that you would not be able to get them for what might end up being the best game of the year. The article seemed to be focused on someone who could not go to a lot of the games they bought, which is a completely different situation. If I was only going to half the games or less, I would not order season tickets. Hog basketball may be a better example, since there are so many home games. We had season tickets for 15 plus years, but it got to be a hassle to try to make it to so many games when we had a son playing high school basketball. So we dropped them for a few years, since we did not want to go to that many games. Now that my son is in college, we picked the season tickets back up. Hog baseball is a good example for me. I like going to the games, but don't want to go to all of them. So I don't order season tickets, but buy them for just the games I want to go to.

Yeah, went to the games when farming would allow early on in my just out of college days, but I always had family that could use them. My kids are 9 years apart and I'll have a run of 14 years with one working on their undergraduate or graduate degrees, so plenty of reasons to make the trips to Fayetteville.

hobhog

Son is in school up there, plus we have club seats. Nice to have comfortable seats and watch the game from same place every game. And yes, watching live is 100X better than TV.

hoghearted

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:35:17 pm

I just don't get it. How could any young man not want to actually go to a Hog game? Especially if their parents are supplying the tickets. The atmosphere, the young women on campus, the tail gating, etc. Seems ideal for a young guy, to me.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hobhog

Quote from: hoghearted on August 16, 2017, 03:52:56 pm
I just don't get it. How could any young man not want to actually go to a Hog game? Especially if their parents are supplying the tickets. The atmosphere, the young women on campus, the tail gating, etc. Seems ideal for a young guy, to me.

They get bored really easily. My son religiously will go to game, and they almost always leave at half and go watch it on TV. Big games are exception to the rule.

WilsonHog

August 16, 2017, 04:10:07 pm #30 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:29:20 pm by WilsonHog

I keep mine for four reasons:

(1) Tradition. I've had them since 1985. Having them is part of who I am.

(2) Northwest Arkansas. It's my favorite place to be.

(3) Family. Attending Razorback games are entertainment opportunities for my wife and I our children and their spouses, and our friends.

(4) Stadium Experience. I prefer it many times over to watching a game on TV.

hawganatic

Sit in the stands for 4 hours with no alcohol and deal with the crowds before and after the game, or sit in the frat house/dorm room/apartment/Dickson Street Bar with alcohol, less hassle, and better chance of finding women. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Pre-game and post-game traditions, win or lose.  The electricity of the crowd on a big play.  The sites and sounds.  Family.

hobhog

Quote from: hawganatic on August 16, 2017, 04:25:28 pm
Sit in the stands for 4 hours with no alcohol and deal with the crowds before and after the game, or sit in the frat house/dorm room/apartment/Dickson Street Bar with alcohol, less hassle, and better chance of finding women.

Classic.....

Tyro3

I have had season tickets for over 50 years, I am now closer to 80 than I would like to be, so soft seats and bathrooms become a priority, but I still have season tickets and my kids and grandkids enjoy the atmosphere that I so enjoyed for decades, nothing like a day watching the Hogs, I enjoy them being able to experience what I did. WPS

Andrew Hogfan

If I could afford them,  I'd buy them.  If I could go  to every game,  I would.  Someday,  when all my children are out the house.  I hope too.  When I retire I want to get an RV and be a road hog. But, I don't care for tailgating or hanging out with people.  I usually drive to game,  park,  watch game,  drive home.  I'm 34 with a 10, 7, & 6 year old.  It's all about priorities.  Someday....  I will be a season ticket holder.  WPS!!!
WPS!!!

hoghearted

Quote from: hawganatic on August 16, 2017, 04:25:28 pm

You make a good point
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hobhog

Quote from: hoghearted on August 16, 2017, 05:57:05 pm
You make a good point

I'd agree with his statement if we were taking about ASU. Or any other team but the Hogs. But each his own....

RME

Quote from: hobhog on August 16, 2017, 07:02:57 pm
I'd agree with his statement if we were taking about ASU. Or any other team but the Hogs. But each his own....

I mean, I sympathize with the college students not wanting to stay entire game, every game. College kids have a finite number of nights in college. They have a lot more time after college to go to Arkansas games. I was a student in 2011, so yeah I left some games early...at a certain point, I'd rather go do something else or eat or whatever when Arkansas is up on Tennessee 35-7 heading into the 4th quarter.

But as someone mentioned, big games are an absolutely different animal. I was still a student in 2014, and my butt was on the field with thousands of other students after the LSU game.

Like I said, I get it. College lasts 4 years, 5 for some. The rest of one's life hopefully lasts 55-60 years after that. I don't care to stay and watch the second half when we're beating Kumquat Valley Tech 49-0 at half when I could go to a bar with my buddies and SEC gals and watch the end of it. I plan on being back in the state before too long, and I'll stay for the full game of course at that point.

southeasthog

I bought 4 tickets from Vivid in 2008 for the Ole Miss game. Then bought 4 through Stubhub in 2009 for the Georgia game. I then decided that I could get 4 season tickets in the upper deck for half again as much for what 1 game cost me. I've been buying season tickets starting in 2010. My brother buys 2 of my 4.  I also have my seats where I want them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Karma on August 16, 2017, 01:08:29 pm
Did you read the article? Because your response has nothing to do with the point of the article.

It's not about do you attend games in person. The point is that season tickets are no longer the vehicle people chose. They find it more preferable to buy single game tickets for less money than the season ticket.

Yes I did. You yourself touch on it. It is all about priorities and economics. Reselling tickets has always happened but it has become a big business.

Uberanubis

the same reason why most of us older folks don't get why driving is not that important to young people. in today's time its not the norm to want to drive because its not necessary for socializing. same could be said of going to the games.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Head

I bought season tickets for the first time this year, because my daughter is in the Razorback Marching Band.

I did get seats in the south end zone club section and I'm pretty excited about it.   I would never had bought them in the bench seating areas, because the value in those areas don't equal the ticket price.   I like the restaurants, wine and beer area, and other accommodations in the club area.  If you expect thousands to be spent, you have to give people great accommodations.

hogsanity

Young people just do not want to sit anywhere, except maybe in front of their computer screen, for 4 hours. Plus it is not just the 4 hrs of game time, add in the time to get there and get back and its 5. But when I talk about young people I am not just talking about students. My 14 yr old loves sports, but he hates going to live events. He wants to be able to move around, talk to his friends, etc. He has no desire to be in a car for an hour, then in a stadium for 4+, then an hour sitting in traffic and another hour to drive home. His friends are that way too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 08:09:17 am
Young people just do not want to sit anywhere, except maybe in front of their computer screen, for 4 hours. Plus it is not just the 4 hrs of game time, add in the time to get there and get back and its 5. But when I talk about young people I am not just talking about students. My 14 yr old loves sports, but he hates going to live events. He wants to be able to move around, talk to his friends, etc. He has no desire to be in a car for an hour, then in a stadium for 4+, then an hour sitting in traffic and another hour to drive home. His friends are that way too.

Sounds like your son has lazy unmotivated friends...............................

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 08:10:38 am
Sounds like your son has lazy unmotivated friends...............................

They are all very active, play multiple sports, are active in the church they attend, good students, none of them are gamers, they do play video games but not for hours on end. BUt They'd rather dvr the game at someone's house, go ply back yard football for a while, go watch the 1st half, then go play basketball or then go back in and watch the 2dn half zipping through the commercials instead of burning a entire day to go to a game. 

Perhaps lazy and unmotivated are those content to sit in a lawn chair getting drunk at a tailgate.

311Hog

i think to many in this thread are directly commenting on this interesting article and "trend" as it pertains to Hog football exclusively.  That is a mistake IMHO, Hog football is probably one of the most saturated things in our world, by that i mean that almost everyone in Arkansas loves them to the exclusion of all others so season tickets etc. are not nearly as susceptible to fluctuation like the article is talking about (poor season, to many games, to many brokers etc.).

The idea of the article is a good one, for pretty much any other "professional" sports team in any of the major sports the season ticket is not being held by a single fan or group of fans anymore.  it is being bought up by ticket brokers, just like with concert tickets.  Ever try and buy a Tool concert ticket? all of them are gone within minutes of becoming available to the public then you waddle over to the resellers and boom there they are all at a nice mark up and they will stay that way until a day or two before the show or game then the price will come down if the interest wanes or you will simply not get to go because all the tickets are outside your price range or there is simply none left.

I gave up my season tickets for the hogs for money reasons, and because i simply could not attend all the games nor find people willing to travel to use them.  Aside from this i was given tickets to the games more often then not so i never lacked for the opportunity. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Karma on August 16, 2017, 01:08:29 pm

Cost and time , I chose to watch on  TV cause it cheaper and we just don't have the time with a sick wife and a kid in college.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawganatic

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 08:10:38 am

So sitting on your butt for 4+ hours WATCHING a game, opposed to being out and about doing things, constitutes motivation?

Weird logic...

Youngsta71701

The season ticket has never been alive to me. You never know what life brings. Schedules and priority list can change in an instance.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"