Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 17, 2017, 05:16:28 pm
Just got back from stinkys. Good eating!  Oysters rockefeller, crawfish tamales, grilled amberjack and fried shrimp.

I hope you liked it because that is one of our favorite places. The name sounds like a dive but it's pretty darn nice.  Haven't done the crawfish tamales but everything there is pretty top notch.  The grilled oysters we got there is what propelled us to start doing them ourselves.   I generally tear the oyster po'boy up and Deb goes the fried oyster plate route.    If you don't mind, let me know where you go next because we're always looking to try something new.    Have fun!  BTW, Shrimpers does a great job steaming shrimp you can take back to your condo if you like steamed shrimp.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2017, 07:14:49 pm
I hope you liked it because that is one of our favorite places. The name sounds like a dive but it's pretty darn nice.  Haven't done the crawfish tamales but everything there is pretty top notch.  The grilled oysters we got there is what propelled us to start doing them ourselves.   I generally tear the oyster po'boy up and Deb goes the fried oyster plate route.    If you don't mind, let me know where you go next because we're always looking to try something new.    Have fun!  BTW, Shrimpers does a great job steaming shrimp you can take back to your condo if you like steamed shrimp.

Stinkys has shrunken their menu. They said they had a kitchen fire so now they are serving food next door in the bait shop. Was really good though. We are gonna hit that ocean club place one night. Not sure where else. We always do mcguires once for lunch cuz the kids love it.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2017, 07:14:49 pm

Can you think of any other places we might oughta try?
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

They had a fire????  Hope that sucker is up and going by October!   One of our favorite places has always been Harbor Docks which is just caddy corner from Sexton's Seafood on 98. They do one helluva breakfast if you're a breakfast fan but we are not.  We always go for lunch and in addition to their regular menu, they'll always have 4-5 lunch specials but be prepared to drop $15-20 for the special but they are always good.  They have their own fleet that goes out and catches the fish they serve so it's top notch quality and taste wise.  They are also known for their Thai food and the spring rolls are great!  Dewey Destin's behind McGuires is very good. Been there for years.  Sit's down on the water, kind of a dive looking place but the food is very good. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

One more place if you're a breakfast fan, the Donut Hole is a can't miss.  My mom and dad, all their friends and my sister and her bunch swear by it.  There is one downtown Destin and one on the way to 30A.  We're just not big breakfast eaters. We'll go with cheese and a type of salami and call that good.  Our main meal is lunch.

PharmacistHog

Do yall ever go to louisiana lagniappe?  We love it. Also looked at a menu for vue on 30a. Looks nice.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 17, 2017, 08:34:35 pm
Do yall ever go to louisiana lagniappe?  We love it. Also looked at a menu for vue on 30a. Looks nice.

LL is very good but have not been in years.  They're dinner only and by that time we're generally in for the night.  The Vue was recommended to us last year and we tried it and were impressed.  If I'm not mistaken they have an early dining menu as well.  Great view, great service and great food.  What we eventually decided it was a wash with the Ocean Club and we can walk to Ocean Club. 

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 13, 2017, 09:18:27 pm
Made this today.  Been wanting to try corn on the cob on the egg, Walmart had them on sale and that's all the encouragement I needed.  ;)  Soaked them for around 45 minutes then cooked them at 350 for around 50 minutes.  Did small lobsters and shrimp.  Ate well.
looks awesome
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2017, 08:51:08 pm
LL is very good but have not been in years.  They're dinner only and by that time we're generally in for the night.  The Vue was recommended to us last year and we tried it and were impressed.  If I'm not mistaken they have an early dining menu as well.  Great view, great service and great food.  What we eventually decided it was a wash with the Ocean Club and we can walk to Ocean Club. 

Well we definitely gonna hit ocean club. Probably gonna hit a baytowne wharf restaurant too.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Baytowne is neat to see if nothing else. We walk over there 2-3 times while we're down there.  Kind of fun to walk around Jolie Island next to it.  There's Another Broken Egg place over there we  tried year before last.  Dropped $45 on a breakfast that was mediocre  at best.  They advertise Award Winning Bloody Mary's.  I asked the waitress how the made them and she told me it was Tabasco Bloody Mary mix.  Guess award winning can be most anything you give yourself an award for. 

PharmacistHog

Well we ended up staying in and cooking nearly everyday. The traffic is so horrible you can barely go anywhere unless its the middle of the afternoon. We did hit kenny d's at the recommendation of a friend. More of new orleans style seafood but I really enjoyed it. We went about 2:30 and didnt have to wait or anything. I'm a fried seafood junkie and their platter was great. Did NOT disappoint.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 23, 2017, 07:20:34 pm
Well we ended up staying in and cooking nearly everyday. The traffic is so horrible you can barely go anywhere unless its the middle of the afternoon. We did hit kenny d's at the recommendation of a friend. More of new orleans style seafood but I really enjoyed it. We went about 2:30 and didnt have to wait or anything. I'm a fried seafood junkie and their platter was great. Did NOT disappoint.

So no Ocean Club?  I'll check out Kenny D's because I've never heard of it.  Did you make it by Shrimpers?   We've been there once in July and it's just hot and busy but a lot people have kids in school and that's the only time they can go.  We head back in October and can't wait! 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 23, 2017, 07:47:20 pm
So no Ocean Club?  I'll check out Kenny D's because I've never heard of it.  Did you make it by Shrimpers?   We've been there once in July and it's just hot and busy but a lot people have kids in school and that's the only time they can go.  We head back in October and can't wait! 

Nah. Just didnt have time. I figured out real quick that dragging around a 9&6 year old is TOUGH. But throw in a 15 month old and its a nightmare. We gonna HAVE to figure out a way to sneak off just me and the wife. Then we can hit all the places we want.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 23, 2017, 08:28:39 pm
Nah. Just didnt have time. I figured out real quick that dragging around a 9&6 year old is TOUGH. But throw in a 15 month old and its a nightmare. We gonna HAVE to figure out a way to sneak off just me and the wife. Then we can hit all the places we want.

I understand.  Wait till you're 50 and decisions on what to do and where to go on vacations get a lot easier.  ;) 

PharmacistHog

Of all the times Ive been down there, the day we went to stinkys was our first trip down 30a. I cant believe it. But it wont be our last. Also, with stinkys serving in the smaller place, get there pretty early. Think we got there about 2:30 and waited 15 minutes but after we got seated the parking lot just filled up with people waiting and it started around 3pm. People EVERYWHERE!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 23, 2017, 09:39:47 pm
Of all the times Ive been down there, the day we went to stinkys was our first trip down 30a. I cant believe it. But it wont be our last. Also, with stinkys serving in the smaller place, get there pretty early. Think we got there about 2:30 and waited 15 minutes but after we got seated the parking lot just filled up with people waiting and it started around 3pm. People EVERYWHERE!

Hey man, July sucks.  it's just crowded and hot.  Hope Stinky's has it fixed by October but we eat early anyway.  We generally eat around 11 so we'll be good.   Just the fact the parking lot was crowded tell you all you need to know about the place.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 23, 2017, 09:39:47 pm

Last time I was there was in late October a few years back. Doubt I'll ever go to Florida again when it is hot and crowded. October or November is perfect

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 23, 2017, 09:51:32 pm
Last time I was there was in late October a few years back. Doubt I'll ever go to Florida again when it is hot and crowded. October or November is perfect

Thats what we used to do until kids started school. Thinking next time they just gonna have to miss a week of school. Best time we ever had was end of september one year. It was wonderful.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 23, 2017, 09:51:32 pm

We either go in early April or early to mid October.  You roll the dice on the weather in April while October is generally good plus, the sun sets over land in April while in October it sets out over the gulf making for some gorgeous sunsets.  One last thing, Destin during spring break is cold and crowded. Amazing how cold 50 degrees is on the beach.   Last time we were down during spring break, we pulled out of Sandestin and traffic was backed up the entire 10 miles back to town.  We made it about 100 yards and said screw this, u-turned and went the other way to Shrimpers, bought shrimp and oysters and ate in. 

hogbud

Blackened Salmon on BGE had turned out awesome twice in tow. Any other fish stories to try on egg?

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogbud on August 01, 2017, 05:15:47 pm
Blackened Salmon on BGE had turned out awesome twice in tow. Any other fish stories to try on egg?

Blackened grouper in a cast iron skillet on the egg

hogbud

Looks fantastic - going to Florida in Sept and will bring home some grouper for sure

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogbud on August 02, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
Looks fantastic - going to Florida in Sept and will bring home some grouper for sure

We bought this at Sam's a couple days ago and it was darn good.  We had brought back I don't know how many pounds of grouper last October but had finally run out and found this at Sam's.

Boarcephus

We made this today. We went to whole foods and bought several oysters to grill and they had these on sale so I tried them. Heated the egg to 350 and sautéed onions and garlic in butter then added a little beer and dropped the mussels in it.  Turned out great.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 02, 2017, 07:06:48 pm
We made this today. We went to whole foods and bought several oysters to grill and they had these on sale so I tried them. Heated the egg to 350 and sautéed onions and garlic in butter then added a little beer and dropped the mussels in it.  Turned out great.
VERY NICE...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ATU HOG

For the Destin convo we just got back

McGuires was delicious
Went out of town a bit and went to a place called the Local Catch.  Girlfriend and I loved it!!!

Boarcephus

Quote from: ATU HOG on August 03, 2017, 09:50:33 am
Went out of town a bit and went to a place called the Local Catch.  Girlfriend and I loved it!!!

Have not been there.  Where is it?  Tell me a little more about it because we're heading down in October. 

ATU HOG

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 03, 2017, 09:58:51 am
Have not been there.  Where is it?  Tell me a little more about it because we're heading down in October.
It's toward 30A I believe... I'm not real familiar with the territory but it's past Destin and Myramar Beach. 

Best fish tacos we had and best appetizers.  Little pricy, and the appetizers were very small portions but they were still great.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 03, 2017, 09:58:51 am
I google imaged them and the food look awesome.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ATU HOG on August 03, 2017, 04:25:47 pm
It's toward 30A I believe... I'm not real familiar with the territory but it's past Destin and Myramar Beach. 

Best fish tacos we had and best appetizers.  Little pricy, and the appetizers were very small portions but they were still great.

I just pulled up the menu and that's about par for the course on pricing anymore down there.  We'll give it a try for lunch one day.  These days you'll drop $15 on a oyster po'boy but if it's good it's worth it.  We'll compare it to Stinky's and go from there.    thanks

ATU HOG

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 03, 2017, 06:56:27 pm
I just pulled up the menu and that's about par for the course on pricing anymore down there.  We'll give it a try for lunch one day.  These days you'll drop $15 on a oyster po'boy but if it's good it's worth it.  We'll compare it to Stinky's and go from there.    thanks
For appetizers we had the Crab and Cream Cheese Wonton and The Who Dat Shrimp.  Both only had 4 of each kind, which I thought was not much for the price, but they were extremely good.

Girlfriend had the Shrimp Tacos and I had the Pecan Crusted Grouper.  Tacos were better, but I found the place asking some of the locals where some good local places to eat were.

We also ate at Mcguires...which was my favorite place to eat on vacation.  We had the Reuben Eggrolls for an appetizer which were unbelievable along with the bread they serve you.  Tag that with a steak.... you're golden

PharmacistHog

I'm a sucker for mcguires, too. Those damn blue cheese potato chips are to die for if you are a blue cheese fan.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: ATU HOG on August 03, 2017, 08:07:17 pm
Girlfriend had the Shrimp Tacos and I had the Pecan Crusted Grouper.  Tacos were better, but I found the place asking some of the locals where some good local places to eat were.

Cannot go wrong with pecan crusted grouper.  Ocean Club has a great one.  Not a huge fish taco fan but the wife is and  Stinky's has a Taco Tuesday (or Thursday) so we go there for her.  I order a oyster po'boy and I'm good to go.  ;)  We go to the gulf for the seafood and won't touch red meat from the moment we leave Fayetteville till the time we roll back in the drive.   

Hogs run wild

did spare ribs on my barrel smoker saturday. texture wise it was awesome. almost fall off the bone. had a great smokiness. didn't like the sweetness of the honey/brown sugar glaze. i was trying a new recipe. i may just skip the glaze next time and go to the table and add sauce. as for my next smoke, thinking about a pork belly or a brisket. any tips on smoking a brisket over night? thanks.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

PharmacistHog

If you haven't done pork belly burnt ends thats the one to try. BR has a recipe and theres one travelling the internet, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k
Millennials suck...

Hogs run wild

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 13, 2017, 03:45:25 pm
If you haven't done pork belly burnt ends thats the one to try. BR has a recipe and theres one travelling the internet, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

yeah i follow Malcom. he's got some great recipes.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

DeltaBoy

It a Damn shame I married a woman that HATES Seafood.  Hope all these places in Florida have Steak and Chicken.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 07, 2017, 02:21:12 pm
It a Damn shame I married a woman that HATES Seafood.  Hope all these places in Florida have Steak and Chicken.

Count your blessings.   Chicken is a helluva lot cheaper than lobster.   

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 07, 2017, 02:21:12 pm

Going to Florida this weekend ?  ;D

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 07, 2017, 03:19:30 pm
Count your blessings.   Chicken is a helluva lot cheaper than lobster.   

As I am soon to find out as  I eat my way from Boston up the coast of Maine.  I am going to eat all the lobster. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on September 07, 2017, 09:27:35 pm
As I am soon to find out as  I eat my way from Boston up the coast of Maine.  I am going to eat all the lobster. 

Are you making that trip? If so, I'd like to talk to you when you  get back and get some idea of how it went and you went.  We're interested in doing the same thing because eating a lobster pound is one thing I'd like to do. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 08, 2017, 07:36:06 am
Are you making that trip? If so, I'd like to talk to you when you  get back and get some idea of how it went and you went.  We're interested in doing the same thing because eating a lobster pound is one thing I'd like to do. 

Yep!  We leave for Boston in a week.  Will be there for two nights, Portland Maine for three nights, and Camden Maine for three nights.  And as always, I plan my vacations around food (and music) so I will have plenty of insight.  A travel and food publication up there has asked me to do a guest article for them when I get back.  I will be hitting high-end restaurants to hole in the wall lobster shacks, and everything in between.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on September 08, 2017, 09:16:49 pm
Yep!  We leave for Boston in a week.  Will be there for two nights, Portland Maine for three nights, and Camden Maine for three nights.  And as always, I plan my vacations around food (and music) so I will have plenty of insight.  A travel and food publication up there has asked me to do a guest article for them when I get back.  I will be hitting high-end restaurants to hole in the wall lobster shacks, and everything in between.

Nice gig!!  Post some stuff when you get back.  Never been to that part of the country but would like to make that swing up the east coast. I'd like to make a clam bake, hit a lobster pound and go to one of the restaurants where they dump a ton of crab on the table and pass out hammers. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 09, 2017, 12:18:10 pm
Nice gig!!  Post some stuff when you get back.  Never been to that part of the country but would like to make that swing up the east coast. I'd like to make a clam bake, hit a lobster pound and go to one of the restaurants where they dump a ton of crab on the table and pass out hammers.

We flew into Boston 4 yrs ago and drove up to Maine. We stayed at this oceanfront home in York. These pics are of our view. I watched the Hogs get killed by South Carolina on the laptop. The one pic shows the view from the house of Cape Neddick Nubble Lighthouse in York . We took a small boat tour of Portsmouth Harbor. Spent some time in Ogunquit. Drove up to Kennebunkport to see the Bush compound then to Portland and took the car ferry over to Peak Island and drove around the island. We had an awesome time.

kibster

I have similar photos watching the Hogs-TCU game last year on the Oregon coast. I kept telling my wife (who was starving) we would go get food after the game. Game lasted forever!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: kibster on September 09, 2017, 02:36:58 pm
I have similar photos watching the Hogs-TCU game last year on the Oregon coast. I kept telling my wife (who was starving) we would go get food after the game. Game lasted forever!

We have a beach house rented  near Lincoln City, Oregon in October where I will watch the Hogs/Ole Miss

kibster

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 09, 2017, 02:50:58 pm
We have a beach house rented  near Lincoln City, Oregon in October where I will watch the Hogs/Ole Miss

We always stay north of there in Arch Cape (just south of Cannon Beach). We love t up there.

thebignasty

Quote from: kibster on September 08, 2017, 09:16:49 pm

Share that.

Love Boston, eyeing a trip to Maine in the future.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

DeltaBoy

We did Red Beans and Rice Saturday and Whataburger on Sunday.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

I rocked a tri tip this weekend.   Cost me 11 bucks for a 3.5 lb tri tip. Reverse seared to perfection.