Yeti Coolers

Started by Southerneyes, July 29, 2013, 08:12:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerneyes

Are they worth their price?

Hawgon

Quote from: Southerneyes on July 29, 2013, 08:12:34 am

I say no.  They are heavy and don't hold a lot.

There is an ice chest review/test on the internet of premium coolers that you can probably find if you Google it up.  It tested Yeti and several other premium brands.  Of the high dollar brands, Yeti came out the worst.  But the really surprising thing was that out of ALL of the ice chest, the one that finished second or a very close third was the Coleman Extreme that you can buy for about 40$.  It did A LOT better than the Yeti costing ten times as much.

It was a test where they filled them with ice and put a six pack in them.  Then they checked them every day for eight days.  The Yeti was nothing more than tepid water after about day five.  One cooler I had never heard of, but it was a real premium brand, still had most of its ice after eight days.  The Coleman was mostly slushy ice that would have still cooled well after eight days.

Hogfly

My brother has one and says that it's a lot of hype. Is it a good cooler? Yes. Is it the best cooler in existence and worth the crazy price? He says no.

He also complained because a lot of the optimizing your Yeti's cooling power for those crazy long durations depends on doing stuff like putting the entire cooler with contents in a walk-in freezer for 24 hours before taking it out.

Southerneyes

jacobp

K2 is a better cooler than Yeti, and even then the K2 is not that great.

kodiakisland

I just can't imagine when I would ever need a yeti.  Ice is cheap.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

twistitup

Yeti smeti

Give me a Coleman
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hammibal Lecter

Not a yeti fan, but the thing with them is they heat as good as they cool. Ideally they day before you use it you should "feed" it 2 big bags of ice to cool it. If you do that every time they work great, but not $250 great. I'm with twist...coleman
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

gotyacovered

Chalk me up as a yeti fan. I received a roadie as a gift. Prior to owning and using it for a year, I would agree with you guys. Not anymore.

If you open/close it all the time it doesn't matter the cooler.

it will out last my $120 coleman in a major way--not even close. And from a durability standpoint, no comparison in yetis favor.

my roadie seals up so good and is so effective i bought a 45.

The biggest negative thats def valid and already been pointed out is the weight. They are heavy.
You are what you tolerate.

Rzbakfromwaybak

When I saw my first Yeti awhile back & the crazy high price marked on them.......

was very confused after opening it up to find there was neither a blonde or brunette inside......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

OldCoot

I throw a few lbs of dry ice in my big white chest I bought at sams.  My only problem is making sure I wrap the ice enough so it won't FREEZE everything solid.

Dry ice is the bomb!

kodiakisland

Quote from: Dude on July 30, 2013, 08:38:53 am
I throw a few lbs of dry ice in my big white chest I bought at sams.  My only problem is making sure I wrap the ice enough so it won't FREEZE everything solid.

Dry ice is the bomb!

I use one or two liter plastic bottles filled with water for my ice.  In a standard coleman they stay frozen for about 4 days.  After 4 days I get some dry ice and put in the coleman.  It completely refreezes all the bottles and I'm good to go for another 4 days.  That's in a 150qt coleman I paid about $50 for.  I'd have to buy a lot of dry ice to pay for a 150qt yeti.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

devildoghawg

I have the Yeti Tundra 45, and it has been a great investment.  Most people think Yeti's don't work well because they don't follow the directions on the label.  Yeti's do two things really good, they hold in cold, and they hold in heat.  When you leave your Yeti sitting in your garage in Arkansas and it is 105 outside, it is going to take A LONG TIME for your cooler to get down to temp when you put ice in it.  If you keep it in your house, and don't store it out in the heat, it will hold solid ice for DAYS.  I will also say that I have been extremely rough on mine. Another great benefit is the ability to use dry ice. I actually rolled my polaris ranger going up the side of a pretty good cliff, and the yeti actually got under my roll bar and kept my from turning over again and going off the cliff.  It had ZERO damage.  If you want to buy a cooler, and it last the rest of your life, get a Yeti. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

RazorWild

Do any of y'all use dry ice for cooler full of beer?  Been thinking of it but don't know anything bout using it.  Would love to try when I come home hunting.  Any tips for using in standard Coleman ?

OldCoot

Quote from: RazorWild on July 30, 2013, 12:43:29 pm
Do any of y'all use dry ice for cooler full of beer?  Been thinking of it but don't know anything bout using it.  Would love to try when I come home hunting.  Any tips for using in standard Coleman ?

Just make sure to wrap the ice so it doesn't freeze everything.  It will freeze a jar of juice in an hour or so.  It is GREAT.

Cubbie08

I have a Yeti 45. Holds a case and a half of beer and keeps for several days with lots of opening and closing. Put it in your boat and you can sit or stand on it. I love mine and should not have to buy another cooler for a long time.

kodiakisland

Quote from: RazorWild on July 30, 2013, 12:43:29 pm

If you need your beer that cold, buy better beer.

RazorWild

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 30, 2013, 07:31:19 pm
If you need your beer that cold, buy better beer.

I drink all kinds of beer, I just happen to like it cold.

OldCoot

Quote from: RazorWild on July 30, 2013, 07:37:46 pm
I drink all kinds of beer, I just happen to like it cold.

You also don't have the weight of the melted ice.  Try it once and you will be hooked.  Wrap 3 lbs in a towel and put in the far corner.  EVERYTHING will stay cold.  If it dries up in a couple of days, just drop another lb in.  Amazing stuff and the grocery stores stock it.

Dropkick

Yeti is really just a status symbol that says " hey, I can afford a $400 cooler", like wearing a RL Polo shirt used to be.

gotyacovered

yep, people dont buy expensive toys bc they perform well, or bc they like them. its all about that status symbol. yep.

/sarcasm

RazorWild

Thanks dude for the info.  Will def try it out

Dropkick

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 31, 2013, 02:37:32 pm
yep, people dont buy expensive toys bc they perform well, or bc they like them. its all about that status symbol. yep.

/sarcasm
Sorry if I hit a nerve...............................

gotyacovered

Quote from: Dropkick on August 01, 2013, 02:31:27 pm
Sorry if I hit a nerve...............................

Nope, just don't agree with ya. My first one didnt cost a dime, so I had no reason to judge it other than as a cooler. It's 10 times more durable than any other cooler and holds ice better than any other I've owned. If it cost the same as a stainless Coleman (I've had 2) you all would own one.

The point I was trying to make... if they where as terrible as some claim, people wouldn't buy em. I got one free, liked it so much bought a bigger one.

Didnt mean to sound like a punk.

Hawgon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Here is that review I talked about.  The Yeti finished slightly better than the Igloo and worse than the Coleman.  The best overall was the Engel.  The IRP held the ice best, but it looks like something that belongs in a high end kitchen instead of something you would use on a hunting trip.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Hawgon on August 01, 2013, 02:47:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Here is that review I talked about.  The Yeti finished slightly better than the Igloo and worse than the Coleman.  The best overall was the Engel.  The IRP held the ice best, but it looks like something that belongs in a high end kitchen instead of something you would use on a hunting trip.

The one with the cutting board is sweet.

FWIW, neither of my yetis will open that easy after sitting full of ice for days at a time. Both of mine get an excellent seal. I know you don't believe me but the yeti is far superior to the Coleman stainless and Coleman marine... It's true. I've never had an extreme so I can't speak to that. I like the engel also, neighbor has one, it last the same over a lake Hamilton weekend as my yeti. Don't see the latches being as durable but they are going to help get a good seal. I would buy up to 4 bags of I've over a weekend with my Coleman's.

HogScoutMaster

I would love to have one.  Will I buy one? HELL NO !!!! Thats a ridiculous price to pay.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Yeti coolers are probably fine products,  just don't think I need that expensive of a cooler for what I do.  Also.....just can't afford them.  For as much as they cost....I would really need to have a large safe to store them in. Believe I can buy a pretty decent rifle for what one of the larger Yeti's cost.  I have several Igloo's. They won't hold ice as long as the Yeti's, but they certainly work well enough for my trips.

twistitup

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 01, 2013, 06:48:05 pm
Yeti coolers are probably fine products,  just don't think I need that expensive of a cooler for what I do.  Also.....just can't afford them.  For as much as they cost....I would really need to have a large safe to store them in. Believe I can buy a pretty decent rifle for what one of the larger Yeti's cost.  I have several Igloo's. They won't hold ice as long as the Yeti's, but they certainly work well enough for my trips.

Very true. I guess it depends on the use. Yeti not really necessary for weekend outings. If you are going to be in the bush for 5 days plus... It might be the best option, maybe.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Southerneyes on July 29, 2013, 08:12:34 am

NOPE they might hold ice for a Month but they have small interior space and they COST TOO MUCH.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mr4pt

If used as they were intended to be used, they are great.  They were initially made for long hunting trips to pack your meat in.
Get them cold with a sacrificial bag of ice, pack your meat and KEEP THEM SHUT.  They will hold ice in warm weather for at least a week.

If you use them as a beer cooler, constantly opening them until the beer runs out, they are no better than any other cooler.

HoggyCat

They will keep ice longer, but that 4 days in extreme heat is bogus. It might do it if you're storing something and not opening it, by as far as using it as a drink cooler when you're in and out of it several times a day, it's not a lot different.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hawgon

Quote from: mr4pt on August 06, 2013, 09:28:21 pm
If used as they were intended to be used, they are great.  They were initially made for long hunting trips to pack your meat in.
Get them cold with a sacrificial bag of ice, pack your meat and KEEP THEM SHUT.  They will hold ice in warm weather for at least a week.

If you use them as a beer cooler, constantly opening them until the beer runs out, they are no better than any other cooler.

In order to get one that would hold much more than a single deer ham, you'll need to spend a $1,000.  You get these great big bulky and heavy coolers that when you open them up look like the inside of a shoebox.

gotyacovered

Quote from: HoggyCat on August 07, 2013, 11:32:41 am
They will keep ice longer, but that 4 days in extreme heat is bogus. It might do it if you're storing something and not opening it, by as far as using it as a drink cooler when you're in and out of it several times a day, it's not a lot different.

a roadie with one bag of ice (no prep-but cold beer) will easily keep enough ice friday night (not opened until saturday am) thru monday pm. i did it last weekend. played in a golf tournament. the cooler stayed in the golf cart or my car the entire time, including monday sitting in my car... although it was not opened. when i took it out tuesday there was no ice, but it was still plenty cold.

ice doent last as long if its open/closed frequently, but two people in and out of it playing golf doesnt hurt it as bad as i thought it would. i have found the same to be true for my 45 and the lake. usually put two bags in and it will last the weekend.

one other story... the first time i used my 45 was on a family vacation to Pensacola... i packed it with some food/snacks for the week and only had one bag of ice. when we got there, took the food out and shut it back up, this was on a saturday about 4:30pm--cooler was actually packed and kept out side friday night. stuff got stacked on it and it wasnt opened (disclaimer - it was sitting in the ac all week) but, when we went to leave the following Saturday (8 days from when it was originally packed) and we started loading stuff up... there was still ice in there... say 1/3 bag.

they are great coolers whether anyone want to admit it or not. the only arguement against them is to simply declare... "i can buy a lot of bags of ice for what a yeti cost, and i would rather do that" ;D

i made the same declaration when faced with incandescent or LED lights in my house.

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: Dropkick on July 31, 2013, 02:12:42 pm
Yeti is really just a status symbol that says " hey, I can afford a $400 cooler", like wearing a RL Polo shirt used to be.

I don't have the cooler, I just have the sticker on my back glass. 

I'm totally kidding.  I have a 25+ year old Igloo & I don't advertise anything on my back glass.

"Boar"

Way overpriced? isn't everything?  I got lucky and had a chance to buy Yeti's for $40 ea.  I bought two 35's and a 45.

They are very heavy but they live up to the hype.  We spent 4 days on the White River last July and still had ice in the 45 when we got home.

If I was going to buy one high end cooler, I'd buy the 35 because of the weight.

twistitup

August 07, 2013, 10:09:14 pm #36 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:51:10 pm by twistitup
Quote from: "Boar" on August 07, 2013, 10:05:13 pm
Way overpriced? isn't everything?  I got lucky and had a chance to buy Yeti's for $40 ea.  I bought two 35's and a 45.

They are very heavy but they live up to the hype.  We spent 4 days on the White River last July and still had ice in the 45 when we got home.

If I was going to buy one high end cooler, I'd buy the 35 because of the weight.

Were they stolen?

40 - very cheap

pigture perfect

Wildly stronger, keeps ice longer. DOn't need it though for that price.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 30, 2013, 11:29:56 am
I use one or two liter plastic bottles filled with water for my ice.  In a standard coleman they stay frozen for about 4 days.  After 4 days I get some dry ice and put in the coleman.  It completely refreezes all the bottles and I'm good to go for another 4 days.  That's in a 150qt coleman I paid about $50 for.  I'd have to buy a lot of dry ice to pay for a 150qt yeti.

Yep ICE is too cheap to blow that much dough on a Yeti.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgon

Besides, I really like melting ice.  I can put a deer in an ice chest, and as the ice melts, it leaches out a lot of the blood.  Then after a week or so in the ice chest, and adding ice every day or two, I take it to the processor or process it myself.  It makes for a very good deer when it is done that way.

kodiakisland

To be clear, I have nothing against the Yeti coolers.  I just see no value in them.  If others do, then it's a good buy for them. 

In about three weeks I will be returning from BC hopefully with two elk and two mule deer in 6 large igloo coolers.  They are the 130-150qt size.  It will take 3 days to get home and the meat will still be frozen when I get there.  I can only imagine what 6 yetis that size would cost me and the meat would be in the same condition.  Now I suppose if I broke down and took 6 days to get home the yetis would shine, but I'm not paying that much for a cooler in hopes I break down.

tophawg19

Quote from: Hawgon on August 26, 2013, 02:41:00 pm
Besides, I really like melting ice.  I can put a deer in an ice chest, and as the ice melts, it leaches out a lot of the blood.  Then after a week or so in the ice chest, and adding ice every day or two, I take it to the processor or process it myself.  It makes for a very good deer when it is done that way.
Add salt to the water on the first day . It will take all the blood out . drain off the water on day two rinse and your good to go.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

deshahawg

it's one of those things people buy to be cool and with the in crowd. You buy it to say you have a yeti. There is no reason to pay that much for a cooler other than to have a status symbol!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: deshahawg on August 27, 2013, 12:30:37 am

it's one of those things people buy to be cool and with the in crowd. You buy it to say you have a yeti. There is no reason to pay that much for a cooler other than to have a status symbol!

I think you may have something there.  I am going to get my 3 different  $15 Igloo's.....take a magic marker, scratch thru Igloo....& write in Yeti.  Now I am part of the in crowd, have a status symbol.... & just saved at least $400....that is cool.  I am going to tie it down on top of my 4-wheeler, so everyone can see it as I drive down the highway.  Heck, probably pick up some chicks like this.  Same as driving a Corvette....

gotyacovered

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 27, 2013, 01:16:01 am
I think you may have something there.  I am going to get my 3 different  $15 Igloo's.....take a magic marker, scratch thru Igloo....& write in Yeti.  Now I am part of the in crowd, have a status symbol.... & just saved at least $400....that is cool.  I am going to tie it down on top of my 4-wheeler, so everyone can see it as I drive down the highway.  Heck, probably pick up some chicks like this.  Same as driving a Corvette....

Quote from: deshahawg on August 27, 2013, 12:30:37 am

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 31, 2013, 02:37:32 pm

/sarcasm

jdelo77

My dad and my brother both own yetis , I'm not impressed , we took my brothers big yeti last weekend and he kept telling me , the water is cold in there just put a bag of ice , the ice melted in less than 4 hrs ... My beer is colder in my igloo ...

pigture perfect

I had a friend from Alaska send me some Caribou meat a couple of years back. He packed it in a sturdy styrofoam cooler sealed with polyurethane and wrapped in duct tape. He sent it on  a Friday and I got it on Wednesday still frozen. That cooler probably costs about $6.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jdelow77 on August 27, 2013, 08:26:47 pm
My dad and my brother both own yetis , I'm not impressed , we took my brothers big yeti last weekend and he kept telling me , the water is cold in there just put a bag of ice , the ice melted in less than 4 hrs ... My beer is colder in my igloo ...

LOL....now that is funny

jkstock04

I have the 55 and have always been extremely impressed with this thing. If you follow the directions even half ass it will hold ice a week in warm conditions.

Only downfall is if seal is wet...when or if it shuts hard it is SEALED. Gotta pry it open.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

talley

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 30, 2013, 01:36:47 pm
I have the 55 and have always been extremely impressed with this thing. If you follow the directions even half ass it will hold ice a week in warm conditions.

Only downfall is if seal is wet...when or if it shuts hard it is SEALED. Gotta pry it open.

hot glue a dime where it closes in the front and it wont do this, but still close off enough to keep everything cold for a week.