Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Travis Coaching Comment

Started by hogblitz, October 22, 2017, 09:07:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 22, 2017, 11:14:55 pm
Great sarcasm...

Sarcasm right???

No it's the truth, I saw it on Infowars with Alex Jones..

Hoggie17

Lane Kiffin is one the best coaches in college football.  His problem was  that he was not  mature enough to be a HC when he was first given the opportunity.  He would bring excitement back to Arkansas.

Tusks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Lots of links to the Hogs.  Was BP's assistant at Jacksonville.  OC for the two curb stompings the trojans put on the hogs.

I'd make him hire his dad as a consultant, that way the hogs gets a little of his input on defense and Monte can visit the grandkids.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hugo Bezdek

I'm not a big Lane Kiffin fan, but I'll say this about him. He has failed spectacularly in three high profile head coaching jobs, served as the OC for two of the winningest coaches in college football, and he's only 42 years old.

At some point he'll either grow up or his arrogance will end his career chances as a head coach at the highest levels. He has all the ability to win at a high level if he'll stop tripping himself up. But some people can't stop being their own worst enemy.

island hog

Don't want him anywhere near our team.  If he were to turn things around somehow, his agent would have his name in the hat for every top job that came open and we'd be dealing with a different problem.  If Coach B is let go, I can see someone like Tee Martin coming back to this neck of the woods to coach in the SEC. 

HotlantaHog

Not a Lane Kiffin fan. Will be another long five years.

GuvHog

Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 09:08:54 am
Don't want him anywhere near our team.  If he were to turn things around somehow, his agent would have his name in the hat for every top job that came open and we'd be dealing with a different problem.  If Coach B is let go, I can see someone like Tee Martin coming back to this neck of the woods to coach in the SEC. 

No, IMHO Tee Martin is likely going to end up as HC for the UT Vols.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cypress rock

I have not been on the Gus, but after this weekend I believe he is what we need. I realize there may be baggage on him but the Hogs have their own baggage as well.

GuvHog

Quote from: cypress rock on October 23, 2017, 09:27:38 am
I have not been on the Gus, but after this weekend I believe he is what we need. I realize there may be baggage on him but the Hogs have their own baggage as well.

No thanks. The man turned his back on the U of A, the state of Arkansas, and on 4 Springdale boys who trusted him enough to sign with the U of A because they believed in him.

cypress rock

I will always believe that was why Nutt was told to hire Gus ----to the get the Springdale guys.

There was never a plan to let him "coach".

Ironhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 23, 2017, 09:26:13 am
No, IMHO Tee Martin is likely going to end up as HC for the UT Vols.

If they don't hire Petrino.

GuvHog

Quote from: cypress rock on October 23, 2017, 09:35:48 am
I will always believe that was why Nutt was told to hire Gus ----to the get the Springdale guys.

There was never a plan to let him "coach".

Nutt hired Gus to get those 4 Springdale boys. Gus dangled those 4 boys in front of Nutt like dangling a carrot in front of a Rabbit. He used those boys to get that job then turned his back on them.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 23, 2017, 09:37:39 am
If they don't hire Petrino.

Petrino is 5-3 in the ACC with the reigning Heisman winner as his QB.  Tennessee is not hiring him, and I doubt anyone else will either.  Unless the new AD at Louisville fires him, I would guess he will stick around there till he retires or they fire him.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 23, 2017, 09:40:17 am
Nutt hired Gus to get those 4 Springdale boys. Gus dangled those 4 boys in front of Nutt like dangling a carrot in front of a Rabbit. He used those boys to get that job then turned his back on them.
Nutt hired Gus as offensive coordinator, then stripped him of the job and brought in another offensive coordinator. Gus would keep the job ``co-offensive coordinator,'' but have no authority. He had no choice but to leave. This after the best offense in the Nutt era.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: cypress rock on October 23, 2017, 09:27:38 am

Why do people keep saying this?  Gus isn't winning consistently with top 10 recruiting classes, why does anyone think he could win here with less talent?  it makes no sense.  This razorback team is abysmal.  Auburn beating us this weekend should tell you exactly zero about good Malzahn is. 

HotlantaHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 23, 2017, 09:47:28 am
Why do people keep saying this?  Gus isn't winning consistently with top 10 recruiting classes, why does anyone think he could win here with less talent?  it makes no sense.  This razorback team is abysmal.  Auburn beating us this weekend should tell you exactly zero about good Malzahn is. 
Auburn is  6-2 (4-1) and ranked 19th in the country.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Danny J on October 22, 2017, 09:23:46 pm
Correct...no chance. Mr integrity is going to look for a guy with a spotless record and puts as much emphasis on classroom as he does on the football field. I am not one of the guys who wants Long fired but I don't want him making the hire on his own.

You can't have it both ways.  If Long is around he will muck up the search.  You want to take a chance?  Imagine an AD who didn't make the hire yet was the coaches boss.  That would work well...

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 09:45:29 am
Nutt hired Gus as offensive coordinator, then stripped him of the job and brought in another offensive coordinator. Gus would keep the job ``co-offensive coordinator,'' but have no authority. He had no choice but to leave. This after the best offense in the Nutt era.

This is False. Nutt needed a quality QB coach and the one Mitch Mustain wanted was David Lee. Nutt tried to hire Lee when he hired Gus but Lee would not come without a title so Nutt hired another QB coach. At the end of the season, he let the QB coach go and went after Lee again, this time offering him the title of Co-OC, with the plan being that he and Gus would work together on the play calling. The Claim that Gus would've had no authority is not true. Gus had been a high school head coach for years and was used to calling all of the shots so he was not comfortable sharing that duty. He served as OC under 3 HC's and ended up getting crossways with all 3 of them. He had a big ego and didn't like any HC having veto power over him.

What Gus did to Mitch Mustain stinks to high Heaven and I wasn't even a big Mustain fan at the time.

RedyorNot

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 09:51:54 am
Auburn is  6-2 (4-1) and ranked 19th in the country.

2014: 8-5, #6 overall class
2015: 7-6, #8 overall class
2016: 8-5, #9 overall class

To the original point, he does much less with much more than he'd have access to here.

AugustaHog

I don't think we go down the Kiffin road as long as JL is our AD.  I just can't see him being able to get past the questionable judgment/morals that Lane has displayed in the past.  I think he's a really good offensive mind and may wind up being a good HC, but I don't see Jeffy being excited about his win at all cost mentality.  I'm sure Long loves the mentality of somebody like Butch Jones and his "champions of life" mantra.  So maybe there's a ex-Vol coach in our future after all. :puke:

TNRazorbacker

My God, why oh why in the hell would we do that?? Would be an awful and ridiculous hire.

Kiffin has had 3 head coaching stops prior to his current. Two were complete failures. The other he literally left high and dry after one .500 season. Every stop has been a swirl of drama and media circus.  Good OC, bad head coach. Lets end this before it gets out of hand.