Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Travis Coaching Comment

Started by hogblitz, October 22, 2017, 09:07:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogblitz

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/clay-travis-thinks-1-sec-school-target-lane-kiffin-next-head-coach

Interesting.  Not a lot of talk about him.  However, he would not be at the top of my list of choices.

No Chance, but it would be exciting. We are going to have to do something different to have major success.

coreywilson117

Would love Lane Kiffin as our coach. We need an edge. Players feed off of their coaches... Look at how we look now. Slow, sloppy and undisciplined.

johnny cash

Would be a good hire. Right now so would Nutt.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 22, 2017, 09:17:09 pm
Not if Long is AD.

Yeah, I agree. But I do believe Kiffin would rock it back where he spent time as a kid.

He respects the quality of the Arkansas job which is why he was reportedly pissed when CBP quit Atl to take the job 

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 22, 2017, 09:17:09 pm
Not if Long is AD.
Correct...no chance. Mr integrity is going to look for a guy with a spotless record and puts as much emphasis on classroom as he does on the football field. I am not one of the guys who wants Long fired but I don't want him making the hire on his own.

Bryant Disciple

HogTakes

His team posted 804(!!!) yards of offense yesterday. He would be embarrassing at times I'm sure but he would sure as hell be exciting too.

I'd take him.

hoglady

It would be exciting that's for sure.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jaredkr

I think Ark has to take a chance on someone big...worst case scenario can't be much worse than the current situation as far as wins and losses
I am Ray Finkel

Stewhog 11

I don't think he'd be my first choice but as others have said he would be interesting and I can see him having some success here. You know how any time Saban coaches against one of his former assistants, they show the graphic that he has never lost to them, and has an average margin of like 20+ points? Could you imagine if Kiffin came here and became the first one to beat him? Especially with how things ended at Bama. That would be incredible...

I've changed my mind hire him now.

Unnamed Source

I doubt that's a viable option but guess it would be a return to Fayetteville of sorts. He would've been 2 or 3 when Monte was Holtz's DC.

Marshfieldhog

Works for me. Does Jeff Long fart rainbows?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Let's make this happen.

I'm bet Kiffin asked Clay Travis to float this. He was on Clay's show Friday

hoglady

What would be really weird is if we ended up with Kiffin and Tenn. ended up with Petrino.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Qui Gon Jinn

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 09:22:41 pm
Yeah, I agree. But I do believe Kiffin would rock it back where he spent time as a kid.

He respects the quality of the Arkansas job which is why he was reportedly pissed when CBP quit Atl to take the job 

So many people act like it would be this big Homecoming thing for Kiffin to come to Arkansas.  He was born in 1975 and Monte was DC in 1977 and 1978, then given the title DC/Asst HC for the 1979 season.  He left to be HC at NC State before the 1980 season.  I imagine Lane doesn't even remember Fayetteville.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ImHogginIt

I feel about Kiffin the way many of you feel about Gus. If he were hired I would lose interest in Hog football. The man failed at USC and did Tenn dirty.

jmark

we could renames a sewage treatment plant for him
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

King Kong

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 22, 2017, 09:56:24 pm
So many people act like it would be this big Homecoming thing for Kiffin to come to Arkansas.  He was born in 1975 and Monte was DC in 1977 and 1978, then given the title DC/Asst HC for the 1979 season.  He left to be HC at NC State before the 1980 season.  I imagine Lane doesn't even remember Fayetteville.

Kiffin was the one sharing pics of him in a Hog helmet as a kid not me. I'm just saying with his dads history here he would respect the history and tradition we have had.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 22, 2017, 09:56:24 pm

I don't think people think it would be homecoming, not very many anyway.  Some think he'd be a good choice though and I really don't understand why.

Campbell, Norvell and Brohm are all a much safer bet IMO

Pork Twain

Worked out great for Tenner and USC.  If there was a way to get him, Richt, Gus and Miles all on the same team...we would have the all-couldn't get it done with more talent staff
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 22, 2017, 09:59:38 pm
I feel about Kiffin the way many of you feel about Gus. If he were hired I would lose interest in Hog football. The man failed at USC and did Tenn dirty.

Well, coaches can improve and USC did have scholarship limitations when he was there.

Lane has been apart of several NC coaching staffs. To think he peaked in his 30's would be a mistake

hogblitz

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 09:47:28 pm
Let's make this happen.

I'm bet Kiffin asked Clay Travis to float this. He was on Clay's show Friday
That would not surprise me at all.  I think Lane would do that. 

Erockster20

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 22, 2017, 09:59:38 pm

He actually did well at USC considering the amount of sanctions they were under at the time.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 10:07:24 pm
Well, coaches can improve and USC did have scholarship limitations when he was there.

Lane has been apart of several NC coaching staffs. To think he peaked in his 30's would be a mistake

There is nothing about him that excites me. He would be looking for his next job the second he set foot on campus

hog.goblin

Quote from: johnny cash on October 22, 2017, 09:16:22 pm
Right now so would Nutt.

No he wouldn't:
7 - 3 vs. USCe
5 - 17 vs. the rest of the SEC east
12 - 20 vs. total the East

pigmania

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 10:06:48 pm
I don't think people think it would be homecoming, not very many anyway.  Some think he'd be a good choice though and I really don't understand why.

I want a winning coach not a safe coach. Safe coaching has us where we are now. It's time to take some risks for a winning program.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 22, 2017, 10:12:34 pm
There is nothing about him that excites me. He would be looking for his next job the second he set foot on campus

He tried to leave the Raiders job for Arkansas. He wouldn't leave here unless it was NFL.

And if he doesn't that well here to take another NFL job it will have worked out

HogTakes

Brohm lost 14-12 to Chris Ash's Rutgers team, but yeah, he's "safer" than Kiffin... Also, Norvell took over a good Memphis team. Feels like an American Athletic Conference version of Big Ten Bret to me.

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 10:06:48 pm

bob slydell

How many jobs does Lane Kiffin get to fail at before his name is no longer on anyone's short list?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 22, 2017, 10:30:11 pm
How many jobs does Lane Kiffin get to fail at before his name is no longer on anyone's short list?

How many has he failed?

Darren DeLoach

Geesh, I get the disgust but really??? He is everything wrong with college football.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

secfan30

The more I think of this, the less I hate it. Surely he picked something up under Saban on how to be organized and run a football team. A high powered offense, exciting to,watch and lay in. He has name recognition for sure.

bob slydell

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on October 22, 2017, 10:34:42 pm
How many has he failed?

Seriously?  There are at least 2.  At that is if you count 7-6 at Tennessee as a success.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: secfan30 on October 22, 2017, 10:39:07 pm
The more I think of this, the less I hate it. Surely he picked something up under Saban on how to be organized and run a football team. A high powered offense, exciting to,watch and lay in. He has name recognition for sure.

Alabama sure did learn something. They are better without him.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 22, 2017, 10:47:12 pm
Seriously?  There are at least 2.  At that is if you count 7-6 at Tennessee as a success.

I am serious. And of course Tennessee wasn't a failure. First year goes 7-6 after a 5-7 year before, he just didn't continue it. Not a success either, just incomplete. Now what were his two failures?

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on October 22, 2017, 10:52:52 pm
I am serious. And of course Tennessee wasn't a failure. First year goes 7-6 after a 5-7 year before, he just didn't continue it. Not a success either, just incomplete. Now what were his two failures?

Oakland??? USC??? How about just his overall inability to not enrage the fanbase he works for. You guy's are losing touch in the midst of your grief.

HogTakes

Posted a thread on this to encompass several similar posts in various threads, but what are we considering failures?

7-6, 2nd in SEC East in 2009.

8, 10 & 7 wins at USC 2010-2012 with at least 5 conference wins each season. Finished third in Pac10, won and finished 2nd in Pac12 South.

He got fired after starting 3-2 with losses to a ranked Wazzu team and an ugly loss at Arizona State, who ended up winning 10 & went to Pac12 title game. And he was dealing with Carroll's sanctions at USC...

I would argue Bert has embarrassed Arkansas way more than Kiffin embarrassed USC.

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on October 22, 2017, 10:34:42 pm
How many has he failed?

HogTakes

Oakland? Seriously? God forbid the 32-year-old not take an awful Raiders franchise to the playoffs in his only full season there.

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 22, 2017, 10:55:00 pm
Oakland??? USC??? How about just his overall inability to not enrage the fanbase he works for. You guy's are losing touch in the midst of your grief.

zuko

Quote from: Karma on October 22, 2017, 09:12:25 pm
No Chance, but it would be exciting. We are going to have to do something different to have major success.
I was thinking Malzahn

checkraiser88

I'm down! I'm ready for an offense guy!

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: HogTakes on October 22, 2017, 10:57:56 pm
Oakland? Seriously? God forbid the 32-year-old not take an awful Raiders franchise to the playoffs in his only full season there.

Lol. Oh so that didn't count as his failures. Got it. He is terrible. CLAY TRAVIS thinks we are the biggest idiots on earth and he hated Kiffin, so naturally, Hog fans should just say yes please.  Done talking about Lane Kiffin.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Every time... It's caused by the demonization (yes I made that word up) of current coaches. They can't let a poor record be enough they have to make the guy currently taking up space on the sideline The Anti-Hog.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Stewhog 11

Oakland: Only coached 20 games. 4-12 year one, 1-3 year two. Actually improved from 2-14 the year before he arrived. Besides history has proven that NFL coaching success has absolutely nothing to do with college success. Not to mention he was 32 when he was hired. His Oakland tenure has nothing to do with his college coaching ability.

USC: Only had three full seasons. Brought in while facing some of the most extreme sanctions in the last 20 years. In his second year he went 10-2 and finished 6th in the AP poll and won the PAC-12 south outright. Had to end the year after the regular season due to the postseason ban. He's playing in a BCS bowl if Pete Carroll hadn't cheated. Fired 5 games into year 4. Spent his whole time recruiting with half the scholarships. Hard to say he failed given the circumstances.

checkraiser88

I wouldn't be surprised if we are battling Tenn on Kiffin. There's rumors that they might rehire him

ImHogginIt

He has caused controversy most places he's been that is for sure

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: checkraiser88 on October 22, 2017, 11:12:19 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if we are battling Tenn on Kiffin. There's rumors that they might rehire him

Great sarcasm...

Sarcasm right???

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogTakes on October 22, 2017, 10:57:56 pm

Look to Saban as how an excellent college Football coach fares in the NFL... Oh, wait...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.