Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How long since we won a big game we were supposed to win?

Started by Snout team, February 21, 2018, 03:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

In the two major sports, football and basketball, it seems as though our biggest wins have come when we were decided underdogs.  Last night's BB game got me to thinking.  How many years has it been since we have won a really big game where there was lots of hype leading up to the game?

It is time!!!

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Hog Fan...DOH!

The LSU game in LR sending the Hogs to the Sugar Bowl?  Texas Bowl?

Phew... this fanbase is starving. 

HogPharmer

How long has it been since we played in a big game where we were supposed to win--other than last night?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Tejano Jawg

Good question...in basketball, it would be impossible to take a stab at that. In both sports—basketball and football—we've spent many years as underdogs going into most games. Rightly so.

In football...being favored comes with showing some consistency. Such as an important game that follows several solid wins. And, it depends on what you are calling a "big game."

You may not say the 2014 Texas Bowl was a big game, even though it was against the Longhorns. That alone made it significant go me. And I'd think we would have been favored in that one. Before that, you'd have to go back to Petrino's last 2 years. I'm sure we were favored in a few SEC home games. And probably the Cotton Bowl.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

LZH

rogersvillemohog

Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

OLEJACKETFAN

Smalltownhog95

Id say South Carolina 2011. Im not sure if we were favored but we were ranked higher. We took care of business and rode that momentum up until the 2nd half collapse against LSU.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

rlamb

LSU was bigger, stronger and faster that day
and Les was not his usual fumbling, bumbling
self that game.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on February 21, 2018, 09:41:03 pm
Id say South Carolina 2011. Im not sure if we were favored but we were ranked higher. We took care of business and rode that momentum up until the 2nd half collapse against LSU.

More like first quarter.  We rode a wave of emotion to a 14-0 lead early, but when the Adrenalin rush was over, so was the game. The players we're no doubt in another place that day, and rightfully so.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Razor1997

Quote from: rlamb on February 22, 2018, 02:10:09 am
LSU was bigger, stronger and faster that day
and Les was not his usual fumbling, bumbling
self that game.

We were #3, and playing on the road against #1 in the last regular season game of the year, and Highsmith took that fumble to the house for a 14-0 lead, and for a brief moment even I had started to believe it could actually happen and finally be our turn...

jkstock04

South Carolina 2011 is what came to mind. I'm fairly certain both teams were ranked in the top 10. We were favored...and won the game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

When WAS the last big game we were supposed to win?!  ???
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Razor1997 on February 22, 2018, 08:20:56 am
We were #3, and playing on the road against #1 in the last regular season game of the year, and Highsmith took that fumble to the house for a 14-0 lead, and for a brief moment even I had started to believe it could actually happen and finally be our turn...
I love going back and watching that game. Hearing all the pregame talk and feeling all the hype building. Watching us dominate for the 1st 2 quarters and listen to us being hyped up during half time...then I turn it off  :'(
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Poker_hog

That questions is vague.  A better question would be when is the last time we beat a ranked team as a ranked team.  It's been at least 6 years since that has happened.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Ben Steiger

Quote from: Razor1997 on February 22, 2018, 08:20:56 am

I believed, too... couldn't believe that happened to a Razorback team on the road. The exuberance at the moment... oh well. Wait 'till next year.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

rzrbaxfan

Hogwild

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 22, 2018, 09:22:17 am
I love going back and watching that game. Hearing all the pregame talk and feeling all the hype building. Watching us dominate for the 1st 2 quarters and listen to us being hyped up during half time...then I turn it off  :'(

I was at that game, we didn't dominate for 2 quarters, in fact we never lead at the end of any of the 4 quarters.  We scored twice in a two minute span to grab a 14-0 lead, but LSU then scored 21 straight to end the 2nd quarter and the rout was on.

LZH

Quote from: Hogwild on February 22, 2018, 11:56:01 am
I was at that game, we didn't dominate for 2 quarters, in fact we never lead at the end of any of the 4 quarters.  We scored twice in a two minute span to grab a 14-0 lead, but LSU then scored 21 straight to end the 2nd quarter and the rout was on.

Petrino won the cussing match, though.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: LZH on February 22, 2018, 12:22:05 pm
Petrino won the cussing match, though.

If the NCAA gave NC trophies for that, we'd have 4 more..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

GoHogzzGo

2012 Cotton Bowl for football maybe? Favored and allowed us to finish top five in country.

For basketball, last year first tournament game against Seton Hall? Big dance, we were favored, big deal to get another tournament win.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

DeltaBoy

2014 Texas Bowl and the win over LSU that sent us to the Sugar bowl.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

It's a trick question. We aren't supposed to win big games.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

liljo

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 22, 2018, 02:36:33 pm
2014 Texas Bowl and the win over LSU that sent us to the Sugar bowl.

My two faves of the BB era.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

jgphillips3

LSU 2010 has to be the one.  BCS bowl on the line and we came through.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

elksnort

Quote from: LZH on February 21, 2018, 08:07:24 pm
Coastal Carolina!
Yes. And yet it was the least satisfying Razorback victory I can remember in any sport.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"