Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What concerns me the most

Started by bigpigpimpin, February 20, 2018, 10:34:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Is that we have seen very little production out of our bench this year, and with losing up to 4 starters at the end of this year, the sky isn't falling, but it's very dark and cloudy. This team should be in the NCAA tournament. But next year I don't know if we break .500

CaseyVick

This year's recruiting class has some dudes on it. The only real losses are Macon and Barford. Losing Thomas, Thompson, Cook, Beard isn't a huge deal as they are all role players that have really low ceilings.

The real problem will be if Gafford leaves. Then it's going to be rough.

hogfan1986

For me, we were up 5 early in second half and momentum going our way. We give up 8 easy points. Then, we're within 2 or 4 (can't remember exactly) with about 12-14 min left and they throw up a floater in the fast break which goes in after they called an offensive foul on UK. They give the UK the points and everyone in the stands (who were rowdy the entire first half and up to this point) are sitting on their hands . Mike stares into the crowd as if to ask where the fans are and why aren't we letting the refs have it. Next 5 min they bust it open to 12-15 and 80% of the crowd is sitting. No enthusiasm. Then, 3 min 30 sec left we're down 12, half the crowd is walking out or gone. Fans have changed from what I grew up experiencing. Where's the loyalty? It's a shame that 20 years of mediocre basketball has driven us from prominence to the point that the passion and pride is rare from this fan base as opposed to the norm.  Maybe a result of too many implants brought in by Wal-Mart/ JB Hunt/Walmart vendors? Absolutely.

rude1

Quote from: hogfan1986 on February 20, 2018, 11:33:41 pm
For me, we were up 5 early in second half and momentum going our way. We give up 8 easy points. Then, we're within 2 or 4 (can't remember exactly) with about 12-14 min left and they throw up a floater in the fast break which goes in after they called an offensive foul on UK. They give the UK the points and everyone in the stands (who were rowdy the entire first half and up to this point) are sitting on their hands . Mike stares into the crowd as if to ask where the fans are and why aren't we letting the refs have it. Next 5 min they bust it open to 12-15 and 80% of the crowd is sitting. No enthusiasm. Then, 3 min 30 sec left we're down 12, half the crowd is walking out or gone. Fans have changed from what I grew up experiencing. Where's the loyalty? It's a shame that 20 years of mediocre basketball has driven us from prominence to the point that the passion and pride is rare from this fan base as opposed to the norm.  Maybe a result of too many implants brought in by Wal-Mart/ JB Hunt/Walmart vendors? Absolutely.
Huh? Maybe we solved the problem, the coach believes it's the fans job to get the team excited to play, rather than it's the team's job to get the fans excited about watching inspired basketball..............

hogfan1986

Quote from: rude1 on February 20, 2018, 11:35:58 pm
Huh? Maybe we solved the problem, the coach believes it's the fans job to get the team excited to play, rather than it's the team's job to get the fans excited about watching inspired basketball..............

So, home court advantage is dependant upon 18-20 year old kids being exclusively self motivators? What does home court advantage even mean? Does it no longer exist and is just a made up theory?

rude1

Quote from: hogfan1986 on February 20, 2018, 11:44:15 pm
So, home court advantage is dependant upon 18-20 year old kids being exclusively self motivators? What does home court advantage even mean? Does it no longer exist and is just a made up theory?

Home court advantage means the fans come out to watch an inspired team who puts on a show that keeps the fans out their seats cheering on inspired play. Unless of course you want our fans to cheer defensive break downs that leads to dunks or wide open threes being buried, or get really loud as the opposition is destroying us on the offensive glass and putting up 87 in their house!!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 20, 2018, 10:34:44 pm
Is that we have seen very little production out of our bench this year, and with losing up to 4 starters at the end of this year, the sky isn't falling, but it's very dark and cloudy. This team should be in the NCAA tournament. But next year I don't know if we break .500

The 2018 class is by far the best MA has signed in his tenure as a head coach.  + Our starting PG  (Junior to be)has been practicing with the team since last fall.

Our top rated 2017 recruit was redshirted. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfan1986

Quote from: rude1 on February 20, 2018, 11:47:10 pm
Home court advantage means the fans come out to watch an inspired team who puts on a show that keeps the fans out their seats cheering on inspired play. Unless of course you want our fans to cheer defensive break downs that leads to dunks or wide open threes being buried, or get really loud as the opposition is destroying us on the offensive glass and putting up 87 in their house!!!!

I guess you were there to witness that we didn't play inspired ball? Who helps inspire a team when they play at home? When the games was at its turning point midway through 2nd half, you feel that the fans kept the same intensity? If you write it off as "well the team didn't perform like they needed to keep the fan base in it" that tells me a lot about the kind of person I'm dealing with. I deal with your type everyday in the office.

rude1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 20, 2018, 11:49:12 pm
The 2018 class is by far the best MA has signed in his tenure as a head coach.  + Our starting PG  (Junior to be)has been practicing with the team since last fall.

This though is more a statement to MA lack of recruiting than how great this class is. With 6 players which is more players than anyone else in the conference, it is 6th best in the SEC. Good for MA doesn't necessarily mean good for the conference nor good nationally.

mckinneyhog5

Finally Mike has his players to run his system...Sorry couldn't resist.  ;D
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogfan1986 on February 20, 2018, 11:44:15 pm

I have watched ladies games on TV when there is under 1,000 fans in the stands and they are playing hard.  It is the players job to play hard all the time they are in the game.  There was a national tv audience tonight with 20,000 in the stands.  If they can not get excited for that then it is their problem.

We got beat tonight because we do not have a 3rd option as a scorer all the time.   When Gafford gets over 15 points we win.  Tonight he gets 9.   

rude1

Quote from: hogfan1986 on February 20, 2018, 11:56:04 pm
I guess you were there to witness that we didn't play inspired ball? Who helps inspire a team when they play at home? When the games was at its turning point midway through 2nd half, you feel that the fans kept the same intensity? If you write it off as "well the team didn't perform like they needed to keep the fan base in it" that tells me a lot about the kind of person I'm dealing with. I deal with your type everyday in the office.
Did you have to be there to see Ky throwing the ball to the rim and dunking it time and again? I was wondering why our fans weren't out their seats cheering on such great displays of our defensive prowess. So what if they put up 87 in our house, the fans should have worked that team into a frenzy!!!!!!

hogginbama

Instead of looking to the fans to give it to the refs, maybe he should do it every now and then. Throughout his time here I have watched bad calls and all he does is put hands on hips and look to the stands or TJ. I know it won't reverse the calls, but there has to come a point in time where he voices his opinions to the refs. Players see him fighting for them, they will fight for him.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

GoHogs1091

What should concern you the most is the following.

Sieve perimeter defense
Lack of rebounding
Poor flow on offense

All 3 are staples of a Mike Anderson coached team.

ballinhog

Daniel Gafford did not redshirt