Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is starting to feel like the summer of 2006

Started by HeathWimp, July 21, 2017, 06:46:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

That's probably the last time that this team has been taken so lightly by the media and other fanbases.  We all know how that season turned out:  SEC West Champions, and a dropped punt away from winning the conference.

In addition to the disrespect we are being shown, there are other similiarites:

1.  A conference juggernaught that is supposed to blow away everybody.  Right now it's Bama, back then it was Auburn.
2.  Questions marks on defense, coming on the heels of disappointing results the previous year.
3.  A dynamic running back about to start his sophomore season (Devwah now, DMAC then).
4.  A new coordinator (Malazahn back then, Paul Rhoads now).

However, there are some differences:

1.  This time, we have an experienced, QB, Austin Allen.  Back then it was an unproven Mitch Mustain.
2.  We have great depth at TE; in 2006 it was pretty much just Ben Cleaveland.
3.  Back then, we had an egomanic for a coach; this time we have a solid, proven coach.  Someone who is willing to make adjustments when things aren't working, which is something that Nutt would not do.
4.  The road schedule is much harder.

Now, I'm not saying to book your tickets for Atlanta, but I do believe it is a possiblity if everything breaks right.  And with the disaster at Ole Miss, that is one less game that is a toss-up - it is now solidly in the "should win" column.  I am cautiously optmistic about this year, and feel it will be special.  If it played out exactly like 2006, that would be a very good year.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"