Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Chris Low: Head coaches are hired to be fired in the SEC. OK, not really, but it sure seems that way.

The league will have four new head coaches this season, and only six of the 14 coaches have been in their current jobs longer than two seasons.

The leash is shorter than ever. Consider this: Georgia's Mark Richt is the dean of SEC coaches at the same school. He's entering his 13th season in Athens. Dating back to when Richt was hired at Georgia in 2001, there have been 43 different head coaches at the other 13 SEC schools, which includes Missouri and Texas A&M.

[Richt's seat was so warm just two seasons ago, that a game with Houston Nutt and Ole Miss was seen as a "loser leave town match". For Nutt it was.]

Coach on the bubble: Gary Pinkel, Missouri

SEC precedents: Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee and R.C. Slocum, Texas A&M.

[ESPN starting to restate Big 12 [and its preceding configurations] as SEC history.]

Phillip Fulmer, 152-52-1 at Tennessee

Prior to his arrival: Fulmer was promoted from offensive coordinator after veteran head coach Johnny Majors was forced out toward the end of the 1992 season...

Why he was fired: Fulmer led Tennessee to its first national championship in nearly 50 years in 1998, and from 1995-98, the Vols went 45-5 and won two SEC titles and a national title. He won 10 or more games in nine of his 16 seasons, and Tennessee made five SEC championship game appearances in his last 12 seasons. But the program dipped toward the end of Fulmer's tenure with a pair of losing seasons in 2005 and 2008...

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/67934/being-forced-out-in-the-sec
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

LUVERNE, Alabama – Mike Dubose is a long way from the bright lights of big-time college football.

At age 60, that's just fine with the former Alabama football coach.

On the practice field Monday, he coached with the intensity and drive of a coach half his age.

"It's been fun," said Dubose, back in high school this fall after coaching nowhere in 2012. "Of all the levels I've coached, I've enjoyed high schools the most because it's the purest. Players are playing for the right reasons, for the love of the game."

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/8733923898226334640/luverne-coach-mike-dubose-i-truly-love-what-im-doing-photos-video
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 16h
Interesting stat from @ClayTravisBGID: in the modern era, every coach to win the SEC has won at least 9 games in his 2nd year on the job.

jbcarol

The Dean of SEC coaches has ridden the roller coaster from hot seat to royal throne and back in recent years.

http://www.macon.com/2013/10/21/2730845/the-10-worst-losses-of-mark-richts.html

Mark Richt is 122-43 at Georgia, a winning percentage of .731. That makes him one of the winningest coaches in the country. But there have been some eggs laid.

2010, at Colorado: A.J. Green returned from a four-game suspension [yes, he played in that game], and it still wasn't enough for Georgia, which fell 29-27 in Boulder to a Colorado team finished the year 5-7 and fired its head coach midseason.

2009, Kentucky: Georgia had not lost to Kentucky in 13 years, and had not lost to the Wildcats in Athens since the Carter Administration [Prince Charles witnessed the game]. The 34-27 loss likely sealed defensive coordinator Willie Martinez's firing.

2013, at Vanderbilt: The Bulldogs had not lost at Vanderbilt in 22 years, and led by 13 in the fourth quarter. But controversial penalties and poor special teams play led to a stunning 31-27 loss.

DeltaBoy

So Most of the SEC outside of LSU and BAMA would crawl on glass to Athens GA to have that good of a record the past 12 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Note that Gary Pinkel was the "coach on the bubble" in the first post on page two.  Quoted a blog entry from Chris Low just prior to the season.

Bowfishinghogfan

I first became aware of this place during the FOI's and banners towards Hootie. I saw from a lurker what happened. I didn't pay much attention during Petrino's first couple years. Maybe lurked during the end of his 3rd and 4th year. Obviously the Smile era was followed in misery by the entire state and country. I didn't pay to much attention during the last search or right after we hired BB. I started seeing some questions raised about his hiring before he ever coached his first game. Seems SC is where the wheels fell off.

My question is this, briefly can you describe how it was around here during the nutty days until now. Has this place been this divided before. Were there many Nutt supporters. Seems like I remember most were beyond done with him by that time. There was even a couple weeks where smile was a viable option as a hire after his first 2-3 games and people thought he could hold it together until the wheels not only fell off, the axles went with them. I don't think there is any dislike for BB. I along with others question his offense in this conference with our recruiting. Contrary to popular belief, we are as die hard of hog fans as those who believe he will succeed. We both want the same thing, to win. We just differ on how to get there. That's not what I want to discuss here. I'm just curious how the history of past coaches and harmony on here. Has it always been a group vs group here.

I come in peace with this thread. We can get back to bickering elsewhere.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 16h
Ed Orgeron is now 3-0 in PAC-12 play. He had won 3 league games in 3 SEC seasons. #USC

jbcarol

The Dean of SEC coaches gets another win over Florida so that will buy a lot of good will in Georgia.

jbcarol

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 7h
As Ed Orgeron changes everything at USC, the cartoon character coach who flamed out at Ole Miss is long gone http://usat.ly/1c2aPpu

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 6m
Tommy Tuberville and Sylvester Croom probably calling each other right now to share a laugh. #oklahomabaylor

At the time is was
Baylor 3  Oklahoma 2

After trailing 5-3 in the top of the 2nd, Baylor picked up the scoring down the stretch.

Auburn won over State 3-2 in a season before Malzahn and Mullen came on the scene.

hhicNaychaBoi

How long did it take Saban to make bama a good team again? What about the ole ball coach at south carolina? I know it didn't happen over night. I would have thrown gus at aubarn into the equation but it wouldn't be logical knowing that he helped recruit a lot of those players there as an oc and they have already played in his system. Coach spurrier beginning at south carolina may be more comparable to cbb here with the amount of talent on campus. Saban has had good talent from the beginning so what he did in the first few seasons was expected. Oh i forgot freeze at ole miss..he went 6-6 with hdn players which is ok but this season isn't exactly stellar..what I'm getting at is that it takes a fewi seasons to build a competive program when when you're starting at the bottom. the roof isn't the first thing you construct when building a house, the foundation is and right now cbb is building a strong foundation . I saw someone mention that cbb only had 4 4* and 5* players signed while recruiting at whisky. Maybe long do that into consideration. when hiring cbb knowing he can do a lot with a little. He will recruit betyer talent here and arkansas will be better given time.

jbcarol

He argues that Florida was loaded when Spurrier arrived in Gainesville and the Old Ball Coach was the right person take advantage of the talent. It has been more difficult to build a winner at South Carolina, but that is exactly what Spurrier has done.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/11/14/sec-is-steve-spurrier-better-at-south-carolina-than-florida

jbcarol

In 2007 they beat Arkansas and lost to UL-Monroe.

In 2008 they were undefeated until the SEC Championship game against Florida. They failed to represent in the Sugar Bowl against Utah.

In 2009 they left Tebow in tears and got their first BCS-NC for Saban at Bama. "The Process" was in full swing.

jbcarol

Who will Jeremy Foley put on short list to replace Muschamp?

Has been known as an AD who actually has a contingency plan and has had time to think about it in the second half of the season>

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 21h
Pinkel: I never did this to break records. ... It's really important for me that people in the SEC and nationally have respect for Mizzou.

Pinkel is one win from matching Don Faurot's school record for wins. That was the context with last comment.

[Prior to the regular season last game against A&M in Columbia.]

jbcarol

Dan Mullen's arrival at Mississippi State went nearly perfect. In Year 1, he upset a ranked Ole Miss squad. In Year 2, the Bulldogs won nine games. After his third season, he owned three wins in the Egg Bowl.

And then, to begin the fourth season, the Bulldogs reeled off seven straight wins heading into a showdown with defending national champion Alabama.

The Maroon-and-White nation created a "We Believe" mantra...

QuoteState enters Thursday's Egg Bowl with a 5-6 record. Mullen's a loss away from snapping a three-year bowl streak, suffering back-to-back Egg Bowl defeats, and, perhaps, hastening his departure from Starkville.

"I'll put it this way: You're either on the way out the door because you're winning, or you're on the way out the door because you're losing," Mullen said. "I'll take the winning over the losing. And I'm still here."

But for how long?

Through his first 45 games, Mullen compiled a .622 winning percentage (28-17). Since that time, he's won about 35 percent of Mississippi State's games (6-11).

The numbers on the surface tell the story of a bad football team. Dig deeper, and 10 of the 11 losses came to teams ranked among the top 21 (sic). The other loss came this year to Auburn on the road. At the time, the Tigers weren't ranked. Now they're No. 4 in the Bowl Championship Series poll.

"Look at the teams we played," Mullen said. "They have something to do with that too. It's not just all of us."

With one SEC game remaining, Mullen has 15 conference wins during his tenure at Mississippi State. In five seasons in Starkvlle (sic), his predecessor, Sylvester Croom, had 10. Before that, Jackie Sherrill managed 17.

Looking at the 12 teams in the SEC when Mullen took over in 2009, only Vanderbilt (12) Ole Miss (11), Tennessee (10) and Kentucky (7) have fewer conference wins. Arkansas owns 17.

Thursday is big from a perception standpoint.

With a victory, Mullen becomes the second Mississippi State coach ever to win four of his first five games against Ole Miss. It qualifies his team for a school-record fourth bowl game in a row.

With a loss, his seat gets hot.

"I hate to break it to you, if you're coaching in the Southeastern Conference, I've been on the hot seat for five years. Go ask any coach. Go to Tuscaloosa and ask," Mullen said.

AD Stricklin says Mullen will have control over assistant coach changes. He would not comment on buyouts. He says winning solves problems and looks at the effort the players are putting forth. Likes Mullen's positive attitude.

NaturalStateReb

State shouldn't get rid of Mullen.  He's done just about as good as a coach can do there, and so far stayed away from NCAA trouble. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 11h
How much longer does Nick Saban play (sic) to coach? Tough question, he says http://ow.ly/rfOKU

Quote"That's not the best question," Saban said with a chuckle, "but it's the toughest one."

Then he elaborated.

"I really don't know," said Saban, who turned 62 in October. "I feel like as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. I'm happy with what I'm doing and I feel like I can make a contribution to the young people and they respond to do things the right way and is actually benefiting them to help them be more successful in their life, as long as I'm healthy and can do that and I'm happy doing it, then I'm going to do it.

"I can't really put a time table on that. I've said this before, though, I know that whenever I don't do it, because I've been a part of a team since I was 10-years old whether it was Little League or Pop Warner football, playing something all the time and I've been involved in coaching for almost 40 years. So I know it's going to be difficult not to do it, but as long as I feel good about it and enjoy doing it and the players respond the way they should ... then there's a lot of positive self-gratification in it.

"And we're going to continue to do it."

FWIW, Coach Saban's contract runs through 2019.

jbcarol

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the entire SEC head coaching line-up could be back for 2014.

donk

congratulation to Duke and coach Cut.

Coach of the year in my book.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jbcarol

So far all 2013 SEC football head coaches are still slated to return for 2014.

jbcarol

Athlon finally ranks 20 all-time worst coaches at great programs (here's the SEC portion)

Mike DuBose, who coached at Alabama from 1997-2000, is No. 7 on the list followed at No. 8 by former Tide coach Mike Shula, who coached from 2003 to 2006.

Former Georgia coach Ray Goff is ranked No. 10.

Ron Zook, who coached at Florida 2002 to 2004, is No. 17 on the list.

Florida coach Will Muschamp, who ranks No. 18, is the only coach on the list active at the great program cited.

No. 1 on the list?

That "honor" goes to Derek Dooley, who coached at Tennessee from 2010 to 2012.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/athlons_ranks_20_all-time_wors.html

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-worst-coaches-great-programs

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 10h
Duke's David Cutcliffe Is Walter Camp 2013 National Coach of Year

jbcarol

Dean Buchan ‏@DeanBuchan 3h
David Cutcliffe ended his Coach of the Year acceptance speech with nice words about Jim Grobe. Very classy gesture.

jbcarol

"I can only relate it to me, and it's important for me to do my job for the right reasons, and money isn't one of them. I didn't start out coaching because I thought I would make money. I enjoyed the game strategy and the competition. As a player that was exciting for me, and when I got into coaching I found that the same things got my blood pumping. How many jobs are like that?"

Question: How much longer do you want to coach?

Answer: "I'll give the Bobby Bowden answer: As long as I'm healthy and enjoy it and it's what God wants me to do."

Quote"If your goal is happiness --I mean, I don't think anybody wakes up every day happy. I think when it's time, there will be a strong sense in spirit from the Lord that's telling me I need to to be getting ready to move on."

I'll repeat what I've said and written in the past: When Richt leaves Georgia, it will be to retire and not for another job.

Reader commenter took to prose to respond to Ohio State trolls who were first to comment on UGa's "bad luck":

He'd never lose if he coached OSU...
Until they play someone with a pulse...
Same as all the buckeye coaches...
Luckily for them that doesn't happen very often.

jbcarol

Vandy

Watson Brown (Mack Brown's brother) had been 4-29 in SEC games when he was let go following the 1990 season at his alma mater to become the OC at Mississippi State.

Gerry Dinardo was the offensive coordinator at Colorado in 1990, the year Bill McCartney's team won the national championship. After going 1-10 in each of Watson Brown's last two seasons, Vandy went 5-6 in three of four seasons with Dinardo. Dinardo was SEC Coach of the Year for 1991. Dinardo's SEC record was 9-22 and he was hired by LSU.

Rod Dowhower had been a head coach at Stanford and for the Indianapolis Colts. He had been idle for one season after serving as an NFL assistant for seven seasons when he took the Vandy job starting with the 1995 season. Dowhower was 1-15 in SEC games in his two seasons at Vandy.

Woody Widenhofer had been the head coach at Missouri in the 80's. He was DC at Vandy when he was promoted to replace Dowhower. His 1997 team led the SEC in total defense but went 0-8 in conference games. In his five seasons at Vandy, Woody's teams had an SEC record of 4-36. Widenhofer was working at a highway toll booth in the Florida panhandle until recently.

Bobby Johnson had been the head coach at Furman for eight seasons when he took the Vandy job to begin the 2002 season. In 2005 Vandy went 3-5 with Jay Cutler at QB including a highway robbery at Ben Hill Griffin. In 2008, Johnson's team went 7-6 and Vandy got their first bowl win since 1955. Johnson was Co-SEC Coach of the Year. After a 2-10 and 0-8 SEC mark in 2009, Johnson resigned on July 14, 2010. Bobby Johnson's SEC record in eight seasons was 12-52 including a 4-4 mark in 2008.

Robbie Caldwell, the offensive line coach, claimed he was lining the practice field when he was informed of a meeting naming him head coach. He killed at SEC Media Days and the interim tag was removed from his title. With a 28-14 over Houston Nutt's Ole Miss Rebels in Oxford, Caldwell became Vandy's first coach to win his road debut since 1975. Vandy went 1-7 in the SEC and Caldwell announced his resignation just before Vandy's last game against Wake Forest. This touched off a three-week coaching search.

James Franklin, the offensive coordinator at Maryland, became the first black head coach of a major sport at Vanderbilt. Franklin's 2011 team earned a bowl bid, Vandy's fourth ever, and finished 6-7 with a Liberty Bowl loss. His first team was 2-6 in the SEC.

Franklin's next two teams went 9-4 overall including bowl wins at the end of the season. This set several school records for bowl participation, most wins in consecutive seasons, and more. Vandy recorded 2013 wins over Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee with the latter two on the road.

Franklin, a Pennsylvania native, was hired by Penn State to replace Bill O'Brien. He overcame a campus rape case involving now former Vandy players and still unresolved. He will become the first black football coach in Penn State history. His three year SEC record was 11-13.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 11 Jan
RT @ESPNJoshMoyer: Franklin won't turn down speaking engagements: "People ask us to blow up balloons in the backyard we'll do that as well"

Sandusky: Where has this guy been?

jbcarol

Belhaven University (MS): The Clarion Ledger has confirmed with Hal Mumme's agent that Mumme will be the head coach at Belhaven. CoachingSearch first reported earlier this week that Mumme was being targeted by Belhaven.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS  6h
Derek Mason is the 5th Jim Harbaugh old #Stanford asst to become a FBS HC joining David Shaw, Willie Taggart, Brian Polian & Scott Shafer.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 2 hrs Raise your hand if you can see Dabo Swinney succeeding Nick Saban at Alabama. (Kevin Scarbinsky) http://ow.ly/sNDCO  #Dabo

Fun fact: Swinney and Clemson have beaten five top-10 teams in the last three years. Only two programs have more top-10 wins since 2011: Nick Saban and Alabama and Bob Stoops and Oklahoma both have six.

Oh, and Swinney's the only coach in college football with bowl wins the last two seasons over top-10 opponents.

Noted that Dabo was a walk-on fan favorite for Bama.

jbcarol

JACKSON, Miss. — Hal Mumme's head coaching career started at a small, private NAIA school.

Now he hopes it will end at one, too.

The 61-year-old Mumme — best known as one of the architects of the prolific Air Raid passing offense — was introduced as Belhaven's new football coach on Tuesday afternoon.

It's a big-name hire for the small school, which has about 1,200 undergraduates on its main campus in downtown Jackson. Mumme's coaching tree includes other prominent Air Raid disciples like Mike Leach (Washington State) and Dana Holgorsen (West Virginia).

Mumme spent the past season as the passing game coordinator at SMU under June Jones. The move to Belhaven was a stunner for some, but Mumme said he likes the idea of coming back to a smaller school.

"The people who know me in this business were not surprised at all," Mumme said. "They know how I am and how much I enjoy small college football."

This will be Mumme's seventh head coaching job. His most high-profile job was at Kentucky from 1997 to 2000, where he led the Wildcats to back-to-back bowls and coached quarterback Tim Couch, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

He resigned in 2001 amid an NCAA investigation that eventually led to sanctions.Most of his success has come at relatively small schools. He got his start at Iowa Wesleyan in 1989 and also led Valdosta State (Ga.), Southeastern Louisiana, New Mexico State and most recently McMurry (Texas), a Division III school.

Coaching at a small school "is probably the most gratifying coaching you can do," Mumme said. "All the jobs I've had below the Division I level were really fun and we're going to have fun here."

Mumme said his time with Jones at SMU — which uses a variation of the run and shoot that also put up big offensive numbers — gave him the opportunity to tweak his Air Raid philosophies. He said Belhaven would run the Air Raid II, though he was coy about details."You've got to buy a ticket for that," Mumme said with a grin.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/21/3045526/mumme-brings-air-raid-offense.html

jbcarol

Jeff Lockridge ‏@jefflockridge  Jan 24
#Vandy coach Derek Mason, Oregon writer discuss how #Stanford's 3-4 defense shut down the Ducks last 2 years: http://goo.gl/8zHnlL

jbcarol

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState  Jan 24
Steve Spurrier (channeling Pepper Rodgers): "The woods is full of coaches who told everybody how hard they worked." http://buff.ly/1aPEKmZ

jbcarol

In addition to being talented, Derek Mason has the benefit of not being James Franklin
Coach, Not Poach

Franklin — as the events of his departure for Penn State have shown — was a tireless booster not just of Vanderbilt, but of James Franklin, his statements covered with more "I"s than Argus. There was nary a first-person pronoun from Mason, but there were plenty of bon mots that showed he too can rally a suddenly proud and boisterous group of boosters.

His expressed desire for "intellectual brutality" from his teams is as great a line as any Vandy coach has uttered in decades. Were this a fair world, it would replace the oxymoronic Franklin creation "Anchor Down," which, unfortunately, is going to remain, not unlike ... well, a ship with its anchor down.

Another difference: Mason promised he wouldn't pursue Stanford recruits unless they previously expressed an interest in Vanderbilt. That may not do much for the Commodores' recruiting rankings — currently plummeting like Blackberry sales numbers — but it will assuage the screeching moralists upset that Franklin has flipped a half-dozen Vandy commits into wearing blue and white.

Recruit-flipping — or "poaching" for the more rigid observers — is a complicated issue, especially since the people at the heart of it are 17-year-olds being asked to make what is, for most of them, the most important decision of their lives. But certainly Franklin's pursuit of Vandy commits is distasteful, since he is the same man who once declared such equivocation dishonorable.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/in-addition-to-being-talented-derek-mason-has-the-benefit-of-not-being-james-franklin

At his opening presser, Mason struggled with the "throwing the 'VU'" but the writer believes that separates the new coach from Franklin who came up with the hand gesture.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN  10h
Former LSU coach Mike Archer named defensive assistant coach at Virginia

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 54 mins
Thinking this too RT @jadande I wonder if seeing Pete Carroll win the Super Bowl makes Nick Saban want to give the NFL another shot

jbcarol

Chris Vannini ‏@CoachingBuzz ·18h
The three coaches to win national championship and Super Bowl — Johnson, Switzer and Carroll — all coached at Arkansas. (ht @FutureLombardi)

Wally Hall ‏@WallyLikeItIs ·19h
Pete Carroll is about to become the third coach to win a college championship and Super Bowl and all were grad assists at Arkansas.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS ·4 hrs
RT @coachingsearch: Per source, Ron Zook will join the Green Bay #Packers staff. http://bit.ly/1ijOK9y  #Gators #Illini

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ron ZookVerified account@RonZook
How about my daughter in the Wendy's commercial
@jacquelynzook pic.twitter.com/s1ZE7qSPj0

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports ·10 hrs
Former Tennessee coach Johnny Majors in stable condition after heart valve procedure: 'I feel very good'
http://tinyurl.com/q9sl65t

I saw one of his last games against Arkansas in Knoxville.

jbcarol

TJ Werre ‏@TJ_WJTV  Mar 29
Belhaven football coach Hal Mumme on college players wanting to get paid: "I think they should go get a real job if they wanna get paid."

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio ·2 hrs
Makers Mark unveils official Mark Stoops bottle. Here is a picture: http://bit.ly/1gL7ErH

jbcarol

Elizabeth Holmes ‏@EHolmesWSJ ·6 hrs
To those skeptical of people who carry two phones: there are some legit privacy concerns to combining work + play. http://on.wsj.com/1s4PrKb

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 11, 2014, 01:30:34 pm
James Franklin        ✔ @coachjfranklin
Follow The LION has always been a part of me,waiting for the right time 2 show his face & attack,now it's time! #PSUnrivaled
11:27 AM - 11 Apr 2014

This was real. Here are some spoofs in response.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/james-franklin-starts-a-meme